Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

This is a totally valid criticism, especially with VR still being super niche and out of reach due to cost. PSVR2 is helping bring more people on board with VR, but Alyx is not on console.

I'm a VR convert, love my little PSVR1 & had great fun with the Rift DK2, and it's just super frustrating that if I want to play Alyx 'As Intended' it's another massive upfront cost for a specific headset.

Hilariously a bunch of people who would have otherwise legitimately given Valve money for the experience if they made a No-VR mode themselves, are gonna end up :filez:ing it to play the mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The PSVR2 source code being publicly available via PlayStation, has me excited that the headset might eventually be available on PC and Steam.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Infinitum posted:

I'm a VR convert, love my little PSVR1 & had great fun with the Rift DK2, and it's just super frustrating that if I want to play Alyx 'As Intended' it's another massive upfront cost for a specific headset.

Hilariously a bunch of people who would have otherwise legitimately given Valve money for the experience if they made a No-VR mode themselves, are gonna end up :filez:ing it to play the mod

I think Valve is ok with all that. I think they're gonna be just fine.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
I can't imagine Alyx working well outside VR. Is the mod doing more than porting the game 1:1?

The encounters in the game are very tuned to VR--the arenas are small and the fights are slow and with few enemies by normal FPS standards. It works really well in VR when you're having to physically look around and dodge behind cover and do complicated movements to reload weapons and all, but I'd think that on a normal setup they'd just be boring. And a lot of the scenes just wouldn't translate, like actually catching the ammo that's thrown to you, or physically covering your mouth to avoid alerting Jeff.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Draga posted:

I don't know if ya'll have heard but Octopath Traveler II owns hard. Currently around 40 hours in and haven't even finished any character stories yet. I'm too busy side-questing anf using Partitio to cheese my way to endgame weapons early.

The music kicks rear end too. Paritito and Throné's themes especially.

I'm working on getting my 6th character. How do you cheese to get endgame weapons? I don't even have Partitio yet.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Extortionist posted:

I can't imagine Alyx working well outside VR. Is the mod doing more than porting the game 1:1?

Looking like it gives you effectively a HL2 style experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBt7Tnwm62Y

Can probably put up with the static guns for a chance to finally play this

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Infinitum posted:

You can absolutely play Alyx through with the cheaper headsets - it's 100% playable on a Quest over link cable or airlink, which brings the price of entry way down.

I've never played with knuckle controllers so I don't know for certain how much I'm "missing", but it felt like a complete experience playing it with oculus touch controllers - individual analog finger tracking is really the only feature missing, and I can't imagine that as being particularly life-changing.

I hope they port it to PSVR2 though, for the ten people that bought that headset.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finger tracking on PSVR2 with the games ive tried it on, is super frustrating and if they have a option to turn it off, I just go directly for that option.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm working on getting my 6th character. How do you cheese to get endgame weapons? I don't even have Partitio yet.

You don't need Partitio himself, just someone with the Merchant job. One of their skills is Hired Help, which spends money to summon a guy to do various attacks. The most expensive option will let the guy do at least 8K damage to a broken enemy. Use it with the 4x boost to summon 4 guys each dealing 8K+ damage. Makes a bunch of optional bosses guarding weapons way easier. It costs 30K leaves to use but money is easy to get in this game, especially if you've been mugging/stealing constantly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mediamolecule/status/1645728970661306370?s=20

Media Molecule is discontinuing live support for Dreams in September to focus on new projects. You'll still be able to create, play, and share dreams, but MM will not be updating or making new content for it.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

It's been a while since I logged into it to fool around with it, but I have to admit it made me a little sad when I saw that announcement because I knew it had to be coming sometime soon. The tools in it are legitimately great and flexible, and some of the games I've seen produced within that system are genuinely impressive.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 11, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Disappointing but not too surprising, I feel like if they were gonna continue to support it they'd put out a PS5 version too.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

They never brought Dreams over to PC, a most tragic fate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How well did Dreams end up selling? I remember it being marketed as an early access title, and there was very little in the way of marketing after it released, and barely anything at all before it did release.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Which is funny because it felt like they were trotting it out at E3s and other showcases for like 5 years before it came out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was thinking Dreams is an older game that I thought it was, but it came out in 2020? So I am a little surprised at how support is being dropped so soon. I was going to say, if its been out for like 5+ years, then I can understand the support being ended at this point. Its not a live service game either. But early 2020 as an early access title and already ending future updates, isn't good.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Does anyone else ever lose like fifteen minutes of time to an enemy randomly using a super strong weapon in BOTW and then find a Korok on reloading? The former sucks but the latter lets me hoard more super cool swords so I guess it breaks even.

Also this game has golf???

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

It did have roughly a year of early access before that too where it was more or less the complete product anyway. They did support the hell out of it though with weekly, monthly and annual community events, but yeah it still pretty short. I guess the writing was on the wall when it remained a PS4 title.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sony always seemed incredibly disinterested in dreams, even while they were using it to as a e3 showcase. it was like look at this cool thing, what's it from, what do you do in it, don't worry about it that. and then never gave it any kind of push after release

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like Sony is mostly just punishing Media Molecule for Sackboy not being the Mario level mascot that they wanted him to be.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think Sony just saw Dreams as a niche project and pushed it out to rot. At least they gave MM loads of money and freedom to make it.

I'd selfishly prefer that they focus on something new because I don't care about Dreams either.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

dreams aren't real

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Attack on titan collab for fortnite started today.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Jay Rust posted:

dreams aren't real

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just caught up with like a week's work of posts, sad I missed neurodivergence chat. My ADHD currently has me completely disinterested in playing any kind of video game (or doing much of anything else either). I think the most I've managed to game in one sitting in the last month is like 30 minutes. Chronic boredom sucks.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Dreams was rad and though it did get a little beefed with a patch for PS5 (higher frame rate and smoother VR support) the fact that they never bothered with a full PS5 version was a sign it was on its way out. Pouring out an unnecessarily realistic English breakfast in its honor.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It also has only 800 daily active users at this point, most of which I imagine are Dream creators making and liking each others' works

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i imagine roblox and now fortnite's new mod-esque mode largely ate up the aspiring gamedev market as it is, especially since the former at least offers the promise of potential financial returns if you go viral

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vermain posted:

i imagine roblox and now fortnite's new mod-esque mode largely ate up the aspiring gamedev market as it is, especially since the former at least offers the promise of potential financial returns if you go viral

Not to mention the benefit of exploiting child labour!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rarity posted:

Just caught up with like a week's work of posts, sad I missed neurodivergence chat. My ADHD currently has me completely disinterested in playing any kind of video game (or doing much of anything else either). I think the most I've managed to game in one sitting in the last month is like 30 minutes. Chronic boredom sucks.

You used to be THE gamer...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I saw a tweet about this and thought it was fake but it turns out it's real

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

You used to be THE gamer...

The most commitment I've made to gaming lately is watching a WoW Classic LP :cripes:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Rarity posted:

Hey "unable to concentrate on a game for more than 30 minutes at a time" twin! I really appreciated the recent adhd chat, I'm 40 and always figured I was a bit autistic but reading the posts in this thread got my attention a bit and I read up a bit more on adhd and it was eye-opening. I've been really suffering the past couple of years and thought I just sucked as a human being but now I think I might have an actual problem that needs to be treated.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gamer co-worker update: he says this latest mario movie is REALLY good but he's one of those "i only look at the audience score at rotten tomatoes" types

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Get him on to some Antonioni and Bergman. There's so many parallels with those twos work in Mario that he cannot say he's truly seen it without seeing their filmography.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He's a "can't handle watching black & white movies" millennial. How I hate him!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good news. In Red Desert Antonioni had such attention to the color pallete for his first film in color that he had trees and rocks painted to better express his vision of industrial hellscape and it's juxtaposition with the emptiness of human relations in modernity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1645761373148962817?t=5IGV4vsADdfJ9_1nVC_big&s=19

Hell yeah

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jay Rust posted:

Gamer co-worker update: he says this latest mario movie is REALLY good but he's one of those "i only look at the audience score at rotten tomatoes" types

fwiw I thought it was pretty good, and the last good movie I watched before it was Ran.

It’s a very different kind of good obviously but I really can’t see a theoretical “better” Mario movie turning out much differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*trying to think of a konami game where you can hit people with fire extinguishers* wow that's such a... heat action