Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V. Illych L. posted:

i think it's connected with the general nouveau-richeness of norwegian society. the people who set the cultural tone until fairly recently grew up in the shadow of the war, occupation and post-war period, so this sort of display of excess seems to have been more taboo. a lot of the challenges are also straightforward goofy fun, like going for a swim when it's cold or wearing loaves of bread for shoes for a day. prior to the streamlining of norwegian secondary education there also used to be a bit of real rivalry between the different "colours" (people who went to mercantile schools would be blue, people who went to academic gymnas would be red, etc) which would mobilise some jingoism on the part of the different russ groups and was, again, straight-up fun. this was very much on its way out when i did it, and i think that there are now no mercantile secondary education schools left outside of maybe one or two posho schools in oslo.

so there's a lot of hype, with companies with a profit motive to maximise that hype, in a situation where a lot of the cultural restraints on exaggerated spending are very loose. it means that something which i think can and should be a fun, positive thing for society gets a very ugly sheen to it.
I guess this is where we really differ. The Danish inflation has largely been in hat colors, which used to be red or one of three blues back around the turn of the millennium, but has now expanded to 20 different colors, encompassing everything from farmers to hairdressers on top of the traditional academic secondary education institutes.

Not sure how the rivalry works when it gets expanded like that. It's fun to jokingly denigrate your hat rivals when it's standard vs. mercantile vs. technical academic lines, less so if it's students from schools targeted at kids with developmental disorders. Plus there's obviously a class aspect to "This is just a stepping stone on my path to become a big important [high prestige job]" vs. "I'm ready to enter the workforce in [extremely low prestige job]".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/ny-lag-ska-kunna-stoppa-utlandska-uppkop

Too little, too late.
Although now that everything is already owned by outside actors maybe that's exactly why they even dare to put this forward.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's time for the dumbest controversy of the year:
https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/9zX6QW/kritiserte-stoeres-paaskebilde-fikk-paa-pukkelen-av-ap-topper
Instead of making fun of Støre's hilariously stilted attempt at being normal (you can almost hear him asking "is this how people relax?" to his aide when you look at the picture) we have to make it about :byodood:class war:byodood: instead.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

støre has the worst PR people. i still remember when he went to the grandiosa factory in stranda and was asked what his favourite grandiosa was, flubbed the question because he hadn't eaten a grandiosa in decades or possibly his entire life and instead of just admitting that, they made him do a grandiosa tasting so he had an answer next time.

you're ultra posh, just lean into it. we can save the class contempt stuff for oligarchs abandoning the country once literally anything doesn't go their way

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/ny-lag-ska-kunna-stoppa-utlandska-uppkop

Too little, too late.
Although now that everything is already owned by outside actors maybe that's exactly why they even dare to put this forward.

[All the cows have fled the pen and are five towns over]
“Maybe we should install a fence. Or at least contemplate considering”

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

What's the deal with rich people trying to normal stuff and failing to pull it off.

You can't even catch a rich person eating a chocolate bar without them using a fork and knife.

Or whatever Steve Buttigieg was doing to this cinnamon bun.

What on earth does dinner time at a rich family even look like?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Feliday Melody posted:

What's the deal with rich people trying to normal stuff and failing to pull it off.

You can't even catch a rich person eating a chocolate bar without them using a fork and knife.

Or whatever Steve Buttigieg was doing to this cinnamon bun.

What on earth does dinner time at a rich family even look like?
https://i.imgur.com/ZJ50ykr.mp4

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i would like to emphasise, however, that i totally buy støre being a nordic skiing enthusiast who goes hiking every opportunity he gets, and uses minimal but highly expensive equipment to do so. that picture is a ridiculous pose, but i'm sure that he genuinely enjoys skiing. this is by no means incongruent with him being comically posh, though

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I honestly think that when you think that bringing a skin rug with you is normal when you go skiing you're no longer just a "nordic skiing enthusiast".

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

I honestly think that when you think that bringing a skin rug with you is normal when you go skiing you're no longer just a "nordic skiing enthusiast".

No but my middle class dad did for my entire childhood. It's comfy to sit and sleep on in the snow, ya know?

E: reindeer that is. Anything else is weird.

Ee: weird in that other, open to mockery, way. As apart from oddball/niche weird.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 11, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My little woollen sit mat has a reindeer motif and I'd like some judgement on which side of the class war that falls.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

My little woollen sit mat has a reindeer motif and I'd like some judgement on which side of the class war that falls.

Admitting that they think that skiing should be "fun" and "comfortable", judgement:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

While the Danish version appears to have escalated a bit since I did it, what I'm hearing about the Norwegian version just sounds crazy. The prices I'm seeing in Denmark are between like 15,000 to 40,000 DKK total, depending on the date, whether you get a truck with inbuilt sound system and LED lighting, and whether you get a DJ for the trip. The cheap end seems about right for the norm back in my day, in terms of what you're getting and the price, adjusting for inflation.

The Norwegian trend of spending like 1,5 million DKK on buying and refurbish a bus is just nuts. Even more so because the rental prices actually appear to be a decent bit lower than in Denmark. Though rental prices might be lower per day because the Norwegian tradition includes multi-day celebrations.(?)

it is insane, but it is *relatively* recent that it has exploded like this. i also remember when the party bus used to be an exception, and most people who even bothered with the car stuff would have a van or sometimes a beetle if they got cute with it. it also lasted two-three weeks rather than two months

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Crespolini posted:

it is insane, but it is *relatively* recent that it has exploded like this. i also remember when the party bus used to be an exception, and most people who even bothered with the car stuff would have a van or sometimes a beetle if they got cute with it. it also lasted two-three weeks rather than two months
When you say it lasts two months, is that the period in which you can expect to encounter these busses? Or how long individuals do this poo poo?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

When you say it lasts two months, is that the period in which you can expect to encounter these busses? Or how long individuals do this poo poo?

the former i guess. it's kinda an extreme example though, and won't be that wild in most places but yeah if you're unlucky you can forget about sleep for a while

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Crespolini posted:

the former i guess. it's kinda an extreme example though, and won't be that wild in most places but yeah if you're unlucky you can forget about sleep for a while
That sucks. I think the only place where I've really experienced our version over a longer period of time (roughly matching those two to three weeks) was during the day, in the city, since most of the trucks end up going through there at some point.

Doing it in the mornings or at night is a real jerk move.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I once lived at Kringsjå Studentby, at the end of may I was:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred posted:

I once lived at Kringsjå Studentby, at the end of may I was:

I've rarely slept well at Kringsjå studentby :sun:

I live very close to one of the favorite spots for the local russebuss, so sleep is a challenge during may.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 11, 2023

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

i think it's connected with the general nouveau-richeness of norwegian society.

norwegian society has become extremely vulgar and grotesque in its nouveau-richeness since the turn of the millennium. everything from hiking to cabins and boating has morphed into a disgusting competition in conspicuous consumption that is really incongruous with even how i remembered it up until my early teens in the mid to late 90s.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Alhazred posted:

it’s just a slightly better looking sitteunderlag

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

When I graduated, we'd rented a bus and went to Fårup Sommerland - some folks drank alcohol and all of us just wandered around and had a bunch of fun.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That sucks. I think the only place where I've really experienced our version over a longer period of time (roughly matching those two to three weeks) was during the day, in the city, since most of the trucks end up going through there at some point.

Doing it in the mornings or at night is a real jerk move.

it's also a big annoyance for farmers who 1) go to bed early and 2) often keep animals who also go to bed early. that's probably what's motivating the guy from that news piece.

ulvir posted:

norwegian society has become extremely vulgar and grotesque in its nouveau-richeness since the turn of the millennium. everything from hiking to cabins and boating has morphed into a disgusting competition in conspicuous consumption that is really incongruous with even how i remembered it up until my early teens in the mid to late 90s.

i've been rereading my georg johannesen and a lot of this made sense in light of his critiques of norwegianness. we just sort of abandoned the whole restraint-as-a-virtue thing for an exhibition more congruent with the level of wealth among the talking classes

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the worst part is that we do all this stuff while still insisting that we're a society ruled by iron principles of jantelov. it's ridiculous.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

the worst part is that we do all this stuff while still insisting that we're a society ruled by iron principles of jantelov. it's ridiculous.
Janteloven then: Don't think you're cool just because you invented a cheese slicer.
Janteloven now: Not celebrating when a bus full of kids set up a rave in your barn.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ulvir posted:

these buses can’t disappear from the face of the earth quick enough
Thanks for the background info pals

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

it's also a big annoyance for farmers who 1) go to bed early and 2) often keep animals who also go to bed early. that's probably what's motivating the guy from that news piece.

i've been rereading my georg johannesen and a lot of this made sense in light of his critiques of norwegianness. we just sort of abandoned the whole restraint-as-a-virtue thing for an exhibition more congruent with the level of wealth among the talking classes

maybe my 80s upbringing was just the dying breath of that image, but it feels like the transition went worryingly quick. like we just immediately went from pointing our nose at the gauche mansion-as-cabins the wealthy built, and in the next breath went “well, maybe they’re on to something”

ulvir fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 12, 2023

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

My main issue with the russbus thing is, like birthdays and New Years, it's a reminder that another year has gone by, and it seems to be going by faster each time. But, unlike birthdays and New Years, you don't really think about it in the weeks leading up to it so that you can mentally prepare. Just a sudden blaring of music, announcing the inevitable encroachment of death.

Do not ask for whom the russbus honks. It honks for thee.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

When I graduated, we'd rented a bus and went to Fårup Sommerland - some folks drank alcohol and all of us just wandered around and had a bunch of fun.

It's also one of those places, where I'm content just sitting with a Lavazza and soaking in the atmosphere, while my niece and nephew are enjoying the same rides that I did decades ago. I still do, but I don't need to for my own sake.

I've tried Djurs a couple of times, but it's very.. Americanised. Area-specific music blaring, lots of plastic and metal mascots. It's neat enough, but not the same. Felt like something between Legoland and a heavily scaled down Universal, very hectic and noisy.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You guys hating on russbuses would be amazed at what can be accomplished with a branch, some latex tubing and a box of bearing balls.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ulvir posted:

maybe my 80s upbringing was just the dying breath of that image, but it feels like the transition went worryingly quick. like we just immediately went from pointing our nose at the gauche mansion-as-cabins the wealthy built, and in the next breath went “well, maybe they’re on to something”

as i said i think it's just that the sixty-eighters stopped being the dominant cultural tendency among the talking classes. before them you had the old-school social democrats, and before them you had the class struggle. after the sixty-eighters, a bunch of people who had known only prosperity took over and saw no real point in anti-materialist posturing. this coincided with the fatal wound that the social democratic project received in the eighties

there are imo some echoes in how we're dealing with the tax flight people - people are bringing themselves to say stuff like "oh but we shouldn't scare off our best investors", and nobody - even rødt or SV - seems interested in articulating the potential leverage that an active state can have against these people, namely expropriation and state-run enterprises. the public conversation seems to have forgotten that the class compromise was, indeed, a compromise and what the terms were. apparently the reasonable view of it is that we must simply assume that capital is owned by capitalists who are infinitely mobile and that these are the principles around which we must base our society. this, of course, amounts to a total capitulation to the bourgeoisie and i really am surprised that nobody seems to have explicitly drawn that conclusion.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Inferior Third Season posted:

My main issue with the russbus thing is, like birthdays and New Years, it's a reminder that another year has gone by, and it seems to be going by faster each time. But, unlike birthdays and New Years, you don't really think about it in the weeks leading up to it so that you can mentally prepare. Just a sudden blaring of music, announcing the inevitable encroachment of death.

Do not ask for whom the russbus honks. It honks for thee.
Did you know that time has a nasty habit of passing, every single second?! :supaburn:

THE BAR posted:

It's also one of those places, where I'm content just sitting with a Lavazza and soaking in the atmosphere, while my niece and nephew are enjoying the same rides that I did decades ago. I still do, but I don't need to for my own sake.

I've tried Djurs a couple of times, but it's very.. Americanised. Area-specific music blaring, lots of plastic and metal mascots. It's neat enough, but not the same. Felt like something between Legoland and a heavily scaled down Universal, very hectic and noisy.
I lived 11km from Fårup Sommerland and used to bike there a lot as a kid.

I regret to tell you that it's become incredibly Americanized nowadays; there's almost no green areas anymore, and they've gone all in on getting the wildest rides.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I lived 11km from Fårup Sommerland and used to bike there a lot as a kid.

I regret to tell you that it's become incredibly Americanized nowadays; there's almost no green areas anymore, and they've gone all in on getting the wildest rides.

I can only assume it was Kastrup-Larsen they could throw enough money at to lift the height limits.

E:

But you're right, I do remember the park and grill area being much more open and, uh, ground-based. Everything's a bench now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

THE BAR posted:

I can only assume it was Kastrup-Larsen they could throw enough money at to lift the height limits.

E:

But you're right, I do remember the park and grill area being much more open and, uh, ground-based. Everything's a bench now.
I have faint memories of going there as a kid with my parents, and us eating landgangsbrød that my mom had prepared from home and kept in a cooler box with some cooler-elements (plastic things that'd be kept in the freezer before use) in it.
Those memories include big green areas with trees all around, and some of the areas were also kept free of trees so you could sit in the sun.

It was very good landgangsbrød, and it was improved immensely by being wrapped in tinfoil and kept cool for a couple of hours.
I'm gonna need to ask my mom for the recipe for the bread.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

We still bring the same cooler boxes with the same plastic element thingies, but there isn't really room to spread a cloth and have a sit on the grass.

I have my family's recipe for cold-raised and one-bowl rye, if your mother's gone.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

THE BAR posted:

We still bring the same cooler boxes with the same plastic element thingies, but there isn't really room to spread a cloth and have a sit on the grass.

I have my family's recipe for cold-raised and one-bowl rye, if your mother's gone.
I think my parents still have a cooler box, and quite probably the very same plastic element thingies that were used then, and I can borrow them.

Both are thankfully still around; I talk to them daily.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

This is the same in Sweden, everyone over a certain income starts screaming about jantelagen and how only Sweden is stupid enough to hate rich people like this as soon as a hint of raising taxes is found.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the "i have been silenced!" meme, but it's scandinavian celebrities/athletes/nepo babies constantly whining about janteloven while continuing to get attention, sponsorships and deals everywhere all the time

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think my parents still have a cooler box, and quite probably the very same plastic element thingies that were used then, and I can borrow them.

Not only does my parents still use the same cooling elements they have used for several decades now, I unofficially inherited some of them. Those small frozen thingies are going to outlast my entire family.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Kort video om Uffe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETAWtIEuXfE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Heeeeeeela lilla jag