Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I posted it in the comments but this could easily be spun a different direction and done as a B plot in a Lower Decks ep.

Also, I like Steve's Star Trek (and MacGyver/Batman/Superman) videos quite a bit even if I disagree with him on some fundamental points.

I love that Shives was one of THE biggest Modern Trek defenders in the early days back when poo poo was really rough starting out, and Picard Season 2 was still so loving awful that he absolutely ripped it to bloody pieces, he hated it that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CainFortea posted:

There are no good star trek threads on this forums. Just different flavors of bad.

I like this thread, it's like the most normal place to talk about Star Trek on the internet

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

CainFortea posted:

There are no good star trek threads on this forums. Just different flavors of bad.

If enough people play Resurgence next month then I look forward to the possibility of another terrible thread!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Delsaber posted:

If enough people play Resurgence next month then I look forward to the possibility of another terrible thread!

Streaming conference room scenes live on twitch, like and subscribe

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Delsaber posted:

That thing has been so heavily delayed I sort of can't believe it's actually coming out next month.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why Prodigy is the actually best Modern Star Trek show because the writers finally understand who Janeway is as a person and as a captain and write not just one but two whole different versions of her completely consistently. Voyager Janeway did what she personally thought was morally right by her standards, drat the consequences so she came off like a swerving pyschopath. Prodigy Janeway does IS morally right, period, so she comes across as a stalwart force of nature that you don't want to gently caress with--your best ally if you're on the right side of a matter, and your worst nightmare if you're on the wrong side.

Also, on Mulgrew as an actor, she manages to make both characters feel like versions of the same person, just separated by age (the idea being that the hologram version is based on her circa Voyager getting home), down to her pitching her voice up for Holo-Janeway and letting herself drop into her lower register for Admiral Janeway, which has the effect of making the latter feel more 'real' to me, because it's clearly her normal speaking tone.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I’ve been rewatching voyager for the first time since it aired and I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would. Janeway carries it (with help from the Doctor). She got the crew home god drat it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Edit: Nevermind, post was more about sports than Star Trek even if it contained a little of both.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 11, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I’ve been rewatching voyager for the first time since it aired and I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would. Janeway carries it (with help from the Doctor). She got the crew home god drat it.

I'm finishing up Season 6 and Fair Haven is the worst episode of Star Trek in history. Threshold is a billion times better than "we can create any setting from any of a hundred worlds spanning thousands of light years, each more incredible and exotic than the last - vistas to steal your breath, depths and heights to boggle your mind. Or we can pick an Irish village because we have the sets for those and the country is in the middle of an intense but fleeting obsession with Riverdance".

Having just finished DS9 and going back to Voyager is a really bad idea. Voyager is just so uninterested in its setting, they could be meeting and encountering crazy poo poo constantly but instead they do multiple episodes set in a holodeck program your grandma would make and constantly set entire episodes in the AQ. In DS9 the holosuites are primarily for loving in.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 11, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zoux posted:

I'm finishing up Season 6 and Fair Haven is the worst episode of Star Trek in history. Threshold is a billion times better than "we can create any setting from any of a hundred worlds spanning thousands of light years, each more incredible and exotic than the last - vistas to steal your breath, depths and heights to boggle your mind. Or we can pick an Irish village because we have the sets for those and the country is in the middle of an intense but fleeting obsession with Riverdance".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And I'm not even getting into Janeway's Holographic Boyfriend poo poo!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Delete the wife

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Star Trek envisions a future where we've overcome all our petty prejudices and hatreds by redirecting all of them inexplicably towards the Irish.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The episode where the holodeck characters start to cotton on to the starfleet people was a funny concept, but they didn't execute well. Voyager is just not as funny as DS9, even accounting for The Doctor.

Also, the conspiracy theory episode was inbetween comedy and serious, you could go either way with it, and I was digging it up and until Janeway instantly buys into Seven's fever dream and starts suspecting that there may be a Maquis conspiracy. I can buy Chakotay talking himself into it, but Janeway would never get to the point where she was carrying a phaser around and legit assuming there's a mutiny going on. That's an episode you earn for dealing with insider/outsider crew dynamics over the course of the series, not one you can do when you toss the divided crew angle out the nearest airlock before the end of the first season.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Angry Salami posted:

Star Trek envisions a future where we've overcome all our petty prejudices and hatreds by redirecting all of them inexplicably towards the Irish.

Once they reunify in 2024, they become monsters. Just wait and see.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also the Borg babies episode basically undercuts the entire understanding of the Borg up until that point! Season 6 of Voyager is really bad.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Season 6 of voyager also has Bride of Chaotica so it's not actually really bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CainFortea posted:

Season 6 of voyager also has Bride of Chaotica so it's not actually really bad.

One episode does not redeem an entire season.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Timby posted:

One episode does not redeem an entire season.

I mean, it can absolutely. But that isn't what I said.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I was not expecting Jake Sisko to say the n-word

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I was not expecting Jake Sisko to say the n-word

That wasn't Jake Sisko that was Jimmy.

Also Bride of Chaotica (which I thought was insanely overrated) was in season 5.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Also Bride of Chaotica (which I thought was insanely overrated) was in season 5.

Bride of Chaotica isn't amazing, but it's ... good-ish, which is basically Voyager's peak. Low bar to clear and all that. Like, it's mediocre Trek, but it's pretty good Voyager.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

That's a very wide split in right vs wrong in a single sentence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Bride of Chaotica isn't amazing, but it's ... good-ish, which is basically Voyager's peak. Low bar to clear and all that. Like, it's mediocre Trek, but it's pretty good Voyager.

I guess. I just really hate Tom Parises "20th century fanatic" thing which lets the show use a ton of existing props and sets and which I find deeply boring because no one is into Trek because they like the 20th century that much.

Also, what was the point of bringing Kes back just to make her bitter and evil and also violate the temporal prime directive AND create multiple unaddressed paradoxes, just to end with her doing nothing (I guess going back to the ocampa homeworld to die of being Nine Years Old)

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 11, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I guess. I just really hate Tom Parises "20th century fanatic" thing which lets the show use a ton of existing props and sets and which I find deeply boring because no one is into Trek because they like the 20th century that much.

On the other hand Future's End features Tom Paris being wrong about things like a medieval weeb would be today, and a bunch of sovcits getting hosed up by phasers.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I do get the feeling that 20th century Earth would be a popular time for Federation Earthicans. It was an era of explosive technological innovation that invented entire branches of science.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Also, what was the point of bringing Kes back just to make her bitter and evil and also violate the temporal prime directive AND create multiple unaddressed paradoxes, just to end with her doing nothing (I guess going back to the ocampa homeworld to die of being Nine Years Old)

I just he was more specific. That's such a broad range of a whole planet to be in to. Would've worked better as like, he was really into 1990s pop culture and they shoehorned then contemporary bands as holo references or whatever and then today decades later it would be like a weird time capsule like "Jesus Christ y'all remember red jumpsuit apparatus what the gently caress."

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Threshold, for all its faults, still won a primetime emmy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Brute Squad posted:

Threshold, for all its faults, still won a primetime emmy.

The makeup was quite good, it must be said.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Khanstant posted:

I just he was more specific. That's such a broad range of a whole planet to be in to. Would've worked better as like, he was really into 1990s pop culture and they shoehorned then contemporary bands as holo references or whatever and then today decades later it would be like a weird time capsule like "Jesus Christ y'all remember red jumpsuit apparatus what the gently caress."

I thought it made sense that he was into a weird mishmash of 1920s serials and 1950s car culture and 1970s slang and only a vague understanding of contemporary history, like what you'd expect from a nerd who learned everything about the Romans or medieval Europe or feudal Japan from videogames

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd be interested in the high middle ages, specifically the 100 Years War peroid, like I am now. Also, very high chance that Q or other insane demi-god sends you to the high middle ages so you're going to want to be able to point out period inaccurate armor and weapons.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Tuvok trying to retrieve Paris from a holo-woodstock would be sweet.
"Screaming out the lyrics to this Beatles song is illogical".

"This James Marshall Hendricks person seems to have done very little rehearsing before playing the United States national anthem".

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

Tuvok trying to retrieve Paris from a holo-woodstock would be sweet.
"Screaming out the lyrics to this Beatles song is illogical".

"This James Marshall Hendricks person seems to have done very little rehearsing before playing the United States national anthem".

"I do not see what is so dangerous about the brown acid"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm listening to the 50 Year Mission on Audible right now and just got to the TMP/Phase 2/TWOK stuff and oh boy that's where the oral history part pays off. The early stuff is a bit one sided because it's largely us vs them with Gene and the network, with a bit of the Shatner/Nimoy rivalry but this era is where you get Gene's side of the story just completely contradicting other people's and trying desperately to make himself look like he 'let' the studio and Wise/Bennet/Meyer/etc make changes.

Although the 60s stuff does have the WTF moment with Gene Coon's assistant telling a story about Gene going WAY TMI about loving Majel on a trip to Japan.

The audio book is also a bit weird, in that the narrators clearly aren't familiar with some of the material because, like, Takei's surname is mispronounced consistently. But also, when they're reading quotes from Doohan or Kelley I could swear they try to do their accents.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Doohan's 'Scottish' accent or his Canadian one?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gaz-L posted:

I'm listening to the 50 Year Mission on Audible right now and just got to the TMP/Phase 2/TWOK stuff and oh boy that's where the oral history part pays off. The early stuff is a bit one sided because it's largely us vs them with Gene and the network, with a bit of the Shatner/Nimoy rivalry but this era is where you get Gene's side of the story just completely contradicting other people's and trying desperately to make himself look like he 'let' the studio and Wise/Bennet/Meyer/etc make changes.

Although the 60s stuff does have the WTF moment with Gene Coon's assistant telling a story about Gene going WAY TMI about loving Majel on a trip to Japan.

The audio book is also a bit weird, in that the narrators clearly aren't familiar with some of the material because, like, Takei's surname is mispronounced consistently. But also, when they're reading quotes from Doohan or Kelley I could swear they try to do their accents.

Is that the “Majel’s got a hell of an infection” story?

That’s a top 3 “wtf Gene” anecdote, right behind the Irish waves and waves of cum one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gene had big time weirdo scifi West Coast boomer sex vibes. All those dudes went to WWII and came back wanting to gently caress space aliens.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zoux posted:

Gene had big time weirdo scifi West Coast boomer sex vibes. All those dudes went to WWII and came back wanting to gently caress space aliens.

Hitler’s secret sex army

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Which one of you freaks *doesn't* want to gently caress the space aliens, show yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Payndz posted:

Doohan's 'Scottish' accent or his Canadian one?

Canadian.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is that the “Majel’s got a hell of an infection” story?

yup