Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

xbox ftw

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1645483546541269010?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Are Rick and Morty going to stream themselves playing it?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Are Rick and Morty going to stream themselves playing it?

Finally, a Bethesda game where you can turn yourself into a pickle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

univbee posted:

Finally, a Bethesda game where you can turn yourself into a pickle.

On purpose, surely you mean

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Brilliant game. I got it a few weeks ago and played it for about 80 hrs.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nice

Inscryption owns btw, I loved it and I don’t even like card games

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'll probably be able to peek my head up from Zelda around June 11, sure

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh come on.

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1644362845000269834

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

lol i thought this was a HardDriveMag tweet

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lmfao

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This is so absurd I choose to believe it actually is a Hard Drive tweet and Twitter is so broken it's somehow associating it with The Verge instead.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

No way, that's real?

EDIT: Yes, the latest filing from Sony is citing Reddit threads, Giant Bomb forum posts and Digital Foundry comparison videos.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 11, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Surely working with 10 teraflops compared to XSX's twelve is the primary sabotaging factor

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ErrEff posted:

No way, that's real?

EDIT: Yes, the latest filing from Sony is citing Reddit threads, Giant Bomb forum posts and Digital Foundry comparison videos.

They said it weeks ago along with mining out posts from the giant bomb forums from like a decade ago

Edit: you edited while I was posting so let me add to your lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmfao they’re so shook

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They’ve already been losing those comparison videos for the last 6 years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

Call of Duty, iirc, theyve consistently won with better framerates less dips at the same resolution.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Weirdly they haven't been, largely. Despite the Series X being The World's Most Powerful Console(TM), most DF comparisons either show they're essentially the same (e.g. PS5 has better framerates in some areas but worse framerate in others, and the difference is largely a rounding error with no clear "winner"), or the PS5 outperforms the Series X (e.g. Elden Ring getting like 10-15fps more on PS5 than Series X). Games where the Series X actually outperforms the PS5, like Hitman 3, seem to be a lot rarer, most devs it seems are either prioritizing the PS5 or something to do with the SDK or Series S or something is causing issues.

^ and yeah the One X vs PS4 Pro was definitely different, and One X won there against the PS4 Pro more often than not.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The PS5 is bigger, louder, and weaker. Embarrassing for Sony tbh they should be killed

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That headline is honestly funnier than any Hard Drive headline I’ve seen this year so far

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Imagine caring that much about framerate but also playing on console lol

acksplode
May 17, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Imagine caring that much about framerate but also playing on console lol

UE4/5 having shader stutter disease on PC means consoles are arguably the best platforms for performance atm

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah PC's been in a rough state lately at least for the "AAA" games that are also on consoles. Bad ports galore, inevitable stutter even on super computers, and even when the ports aren't bad, newer games are starting to require more than 8 gigs of VRAM for non-low settings that in some cases look almost like PS2 games, and cards with that much VRAM by themselves generally cost more than a PS5/Series X does. If money is no object and you want to drop two grand on a card to enable the true RT mode that even on a 4090 gets like 16fps at native 4K, sure have at it, but the days of "you can get a PC that outperforms a console for less than the console costs" are incredibly dead, if that was even ever true.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

univbee posted:

Yeah PC's been in a rough state lately at least for the "AAA" games that are also on consoles. Bad ports galore, inevitable stutter even on super computers, and even when the ports aren't bad, newer games are starting to require more than 8 gigs of VRAM for non-low settings that in some cases look almost like PS2 games, and cards with that much VRAM by themselves generally cost more than a PS5/Series X does. If money is no object and you want to drop two grand on a card to enable the true RT mode that even on a 4090 gets like 16fps at native 4K, sure have at it, but the days of "you can get a PC that outperforms a console for less than the console costs" are incredibly dead, if that was even ever true.

I think it was probably true right before crypto blew up the graphic card market. 2016? 2017?

But yeah it's nice to have things developed for identical hardware.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

External Organs posted:

I think it was probably true right before crypto blew up the graphic card market. 2016? 2017?

But yeah it's nice to have things developed for identical hardware.

I think it's only ever been true in highly narrow circumstances, like "user is upgrading an existing PC and is saving on some parts costs that way, and is also pirating their copy of Windows so saving like $100 that way"

But yeah crypto turbofucked things as did covid, basically once it was confirmed the prices could be raised quite a bit without actually impacting sales that was it, especially with GPUs where they basically haven't decreased in price in the last 3 or 4 gens especially outside the U.S.; I just checked online prices and a used 2070 isn't really cheaper (maybe $20-30 cheaper?) than what I paid for mine when it was new and current gen, it's just the 3000- and 4000- series cards got price bumps so more power outright requires more money.

The same has also weirdly been true for consoles, last gen never had a pronounced MSRP drop especially internationally, and this gen is wildly expensive especially on an international level. It's just slightly better because the consoles do see some level of subsidy and normalization for international pricing (e.g. the Series X is cheaper in Canada than it "should" be with the exchange rate just so they could have a round number that wasn't too severe a sticker shock).

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 11, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Devs making games too powerful for 99% of steams users are highly dumb or equally dumb, competing to be the eastern euro dev that lands the next crysis tech showcase game that everyone benchmarks but agrees is kinda unfun to actually play.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Devs making games too powerful for 99% of steams users are highly dumb or equally dumb, competing to be the eastern euro dev that lands the next crysis tech showcase game that everyone benchmarks but agrees is kinda unfun to actually play.

The entire graphics arms race is rapidly hitting a point of diminishing returns. It is also, imho one of the biggest excuses for developers to crunch because of how labor intensive it is. I really don’t understand the obsession with fidelity. I’m biased for my own reasons but the more crunch that comes out of these unrealistic standards for development, the more cost-cutting is going to happen. I really don’t get how the AAA space has gone on the way it has without an actual crash at this point.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I think it's been largely expected that PC is just where you go for the PC-exclusive stuff like grognard 4X games and "even looking at the Steam page for this game can put you in jail, senpai~" games, and in the AAA space it's a mix of "I have a computer that costs more than a car so give me the true highest quality pixels" and "I want to mod my PC games so Thomas the Tank Engine is the final boss instead".

I do question the future of AAA console games on PC which don't have the same mod appeal, although I imagine some genres like fighting games won't be going anywhere in that space.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Finally Digital Foundry did something useful: give us a reason to laugh at Sony.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
games dont need to look better than We ❤️ Katamari or Ninja Gaiden Black

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

June 11th feels so far away. That is going to be a really good month for gaming. Diablo IV, Final Fantasy XVI, and then all of the summer time game announcements for live service titles, and games that will come out in the next year but be delayed for another two years.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dlss 3.0 is pretty incredible and if nvidia can get it to run nintendo games in 4k on the tv from the next switch handheld its going to make the brute strength arms race of the rest of the market look like money lit on fire

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hatty posted:

games dont need to look better than We ❤️ Katamari or Ninja Gaiden Black

I mean, this is actually kind of true. It's a bit like how Rockstar's number crunchers determined that paying Samuel L Jackson for his role in GTA San Andreas didn't have a meaningful impact on how well the game sold (in contrast to movies where individual stars can by themselves be a draw), it turns out that for all the whinging we all do about how many p's and k's and gigs and traced rays a game has, Switch game sales are doing very well relative to other platforms because casuals are all about the Switch, at least for games where there's some sort of casual appeal angle. This isn't even an exaggeration, my wife has played a ton of games simply by virtue of them being available on Switch that she never would have played on any other platform (e.g. The Witcher 3 and Skyrim). I promise you, she is not going to care about The Witcher 3 looking considerably worse than it does on Xbox/PS4/PS5 or whatever, she can chill and play it on her Switch Lite and that's good enough. She wouldn't even necessarily care about a Switch 2, the graphics and performance on Switch are "good enough" for the VAST majority of people out there, in much the same way that DVD sales still outperform Blu-ray sales considerably.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
"Good graphics" also don't require super-high poly-count ultra resolution. Celeste and Katana Zero are both Gorgeous. Even Valheim looks incredible just on the back of its lighting system.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Good artistic style is more important, but also so is performance. Too many games on the Switch run at really unacceptable performance, and that is what makes the Switch hardware suck so much.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

"Good graphics" also don't require super-high poly-count ultra resolution. Celeste and Katana Zero are both Gorgeous. Even Valheim looks incredible just on the back of its lighting system.

Exactly. Nintendo has some great "graphics" in its Switch and earlier 3D titles, they work quite well with the resources they have to work with. Sure, they're 720p and sometimes struggle to hit 30fps consistently, but they are usually solid and the only people who care about it are YouTube channels posting hours-long Alex Jones-esque rants.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

I said come in! posted:

Good artistic style is more important, but also so is performance. Too many games on the Switch run at really unacceptable performance, and that is what makes the Switch hardware suck so much.

Yeah for sure, Rocket League is basically unplayable on the Switch.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Plenty of games do look and run amazingly on Switch, though, I was quite blown away by Bayonetta 2 when I played it a few weeks ago. Stuff's definitely doable on Switch, but I do think it's trickier if you're porting from some other platform where things in the game engine weren't structured so that it would behave well on Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bowsers fury runs at like 25 fps and it could be way better