Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pleads posted:

I'm binging Total Forgiveness now and it is both a fantastic series and also just a lowkey sad premise with an uncomfortable undertone of exploitative capitalism (which tbf is also a common undercurrent of their game shows and they use it to great effect and no I won't stop watching)

But if these challenges keep leaning on public embarrassment I'ma have to skip more and more parts because I have whatever the german word is that makes me hate it so much.

I still haven't watched it as I don't like the uncomfortableness of the public embarrassment, but there's plenty of other stuff. Ultra-Mechateam go zord or whatever the title is is pretty funny. Just randomly scrolling through shows isn't a bad way to find something you haven't seen, there's a ton of decent stuff they've put on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

You have to go through the pain of total forgiveness to appreciate it. It hits different the further in you get. It's like a Jordan Peel movie for white people.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Pleads posted:

But if these challenges keep leaning on public embarrassment I'ma have to skip more and more parts because I have whatever the german word is that makes me hate it so much.
fremdschämen

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They also directly address that exact uncomfortability by the end of it and it all comes together in a really sweet resolution.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, it's all worth it in the end.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I also like Gods of Food, especially as one of the people it mocks

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

I also like Gods of Food, especially as one of the people it mocks

Are you Magnus Nilsson

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Thank you for mentioning Total Forgiveness. After binging it, that was a fantastic ride, and a great ending

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Total Forgiveness was the first thing I watched don't worry

Currently doing Dim20 while gaming, Game Changer if I'm actively watching. I just finished season 2, decided to skip 3 because the 'rona vibes were a bummer (as was the mic quality on episode 1).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, the covid season of gamechanger is a bit lacking for obvious reasons, despite the celebrity guests.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
This week’s Adventuring Party is particularly unhinged

Captions: (Lou laughs so hard he starts coughing)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Magitek posted:

An all time classic. "No one wants Pinocchio to find where the white women are at more than me!"

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Pinocchio wanting to know where the white women are at is a great Adventuring Party bit and I hope it bleeds into the finale somehow

The Adventuring Parties for this season are generally fantastic, probably a combo of needing to decompress after a horror session and straight-up sleep deprivation

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 7, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, the covid season of gamechanger is a bit lacking for obvious reasons, despite the celebrity guests.

I think there's still a few good ones. The one with Giancarlo Esposito is pretty good, as is the Jeopardy one.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh yeah, it's got bright spots. I wouldn't skip the whole thing, but I understand if someone watches a few eps and can't get with the vibe or again--that year as a whole is just a BUMMER to remember. Personally, I would say to skim them if you're not into it and see whether the episode is working for you before moving on to the next one.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Mice and Murder was really the only pandemic thing I was able to get into.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I seriously do recommend the Jeopardy Game Changer ep. It has Ify, Brennan and Beardsley and it's a Totally Normal Game Of Jeopardy.

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Mice and Murder was really the only pandemic thing I was able to get into.

Working through this now. It's my second D20 after the first fantasy high. Sam's earnesty shines through as he's roleplaying. Granted that's he's personality, but just has passive emoting is my favorite thing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

I seriously do recommend the Jeopardy Game Changer ep. It has Ify, Brennan and Beardsley and it's a Totally Normal Game Of Jeopardy.

The COVID season's episode of the "Make Some Noise" challenge also has Michael loving Winslow (the guy who can make any sound from the Police Academy films) as a guest for the entire episode, filling in for one of the other 3 guys (can't remember who was missing) and you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't see at least that. I recall liking the "Who Am I" challenge too, where Sam had a specific celebrity guest waiting and the players had to ask things "20 Questions" style to work out who the guest was before they appeared.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also forgot the remote season had the Never Have I Ever ep which is basically the pilot for Dirty Laundry

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The covid season also has Impromptu Cosplay, which I genuinely don't know how they could do to the same effect in a studio setting, and I loved it

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Wungus posted:

The covid season also has Impromptu Cosplay, which I genuinely don't know how they could do to the same effect in a studio setting, and I loved it

Seconding this, Tao's feeble attempts are especially hilarious.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Wungus posted:

gently caress, you're right--impromptu cosplay is one of the best things of that season.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Seconding this, Tao's feeble attempts are especially hilarious.

Weren't Carolyn's surprisingly good?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Magitek posted:

Just keep this picture open the whole episode.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
The blopplegangers episode of The Seven hits different when you're home sick with a sinus infection.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Neverafter has been on the lower end of Intrepid Heroes seasons for me, but the Adventuring Parties make up for it.

Big Neverafter episode 19 spoilers:

I understand why Brennan didn't want Sibohan to sit out the finale, but why even introduce the insta-death rules otherwise? I appreciate that it was still costly, but if people can't die in the horror season when can they?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Neverafter has been on the lower end of Intrepid Heroes seasons for me, but the Adventuring Parties make up for it.

I think Pinnochio, Gerard, and the absolutely incredible battle maps have saved the season from being on the lower end for me.

The battle maps alone are just beyond incredible. The dogfish is going to sell for so much at it's eventual auction.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

imo this season has had about ~8 solid-to-great episodes, and a bunch of mediocre / boring ones.
especially a horror themed show - you just can't keep that atmosphere going for ~25 hours.

As an experiment, it failed: they should have gone for either horror-comedy or shortened it to a much smaller season imo.

e: tbh I do wonder what calculations go into the season length, given that it's a paywalled streaming service

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I don’t think I’ve ever been bored out of my mind with an intrepid heroes season but by golly, Neverafter did it. Even Unsleeping City I just fell off for unrelated reasons, but there are numerous times I would forget what was going on as I was listening to the episode. It also really doesn’t help that NADDPOD is in a place right now that’s super exciting and interesting so it makes every episode of Neverafter feel so bloated and flaccid by comparison.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don’t think they ever got the momentum back after the TPK

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Somberbrero posted:

Big Neverafter episode 19 spoilers:

I understand why Brennan didn't want Sibohan to sit out the finale, but why even introduce the insta-death rules otherwise? I appreciate that it was still costly, but if people can't die in the horror season when can they?

I was under the impression that this is what the Corruption Tokens were originally designed for. They expected some players to randomly die during the season and come back in these twisted forms, otherwise the crew wouldn't have made her "Thorn Revenant" mini ahead of time. The climactic timing here just meant that Brennan had to improvise something instantaneous rather than during a post-combat development (like I imagine would have happened if PiB had been successfully headshot in the Dogfish encounter).

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Magitek posted:

I was under the impression that this is what the Corruption Tokens were originally designed for. They expected some players to randomly die during the season and come back in these twisted forms, otherwise the crew wouldn't have made her "Thorn Revenant" mini ahead of time. The climactic timing here just meant that Brennan had to improvise something instantaneous rather than during a post-combat development (like I imagine would have happened if PiB had been successfully headshot in the Dogfish encounter).

That's the same impression I got. There would probably have been a discussion off camera with the player telling them they're a lot more violent or aggressive now, or Brennan would have twisted what they were doing like he did with Thumbelina. Over several episodes it could have played out really well.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

NieR Occomata posted:

Yeah I don’t think I’ve ever been bored out of my mind with an intrepid heroes season but by golly, Neverafter did it. Even Unsleeping City I just fell off for unrelated reasons, but there are numerous times I would forget what was going on as I was listening to the episode. It also really doesn’t help that NADDPOD is in a place right now that’s super exciting and interesting so it makes every episode of Neverafter feel so bloated and flaccid by comparison.

speaking of naddpod, is that the type of podcast one should start at the beginning at, or should you just pick up the latest episode and work your way backwards?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

double nine posted:

speaking of naddpod, is that the type of podcast one should start at the beginning at, or should you just pick up the latest episode and work your way backwards?

start from the beginning

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Start from the beginning and also become a patron for Short Rest

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Magitek posted:

I thought they said in the last Adventuring Party or so that the tokens just represented how gnarly your story/world got?

Your interpretation would make more sense but if that was explicit at some point I missed it.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Got Dropout today after months of seeing clips on TikTok/YouTube and have been watching mostly GameChanger so far(though I'm one episode in on both Fantasy High and Not Harry Potter one)

Wondering if I'm surrounded by rats or angels here tbh

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mob posted:

Got Dropout today after months of seeing clips on TikTok/YouTube and have been watching mostly GameChanger so far(though I'm one episode in on both Fantasy High and Not Harry Potter one)

Wondering if I'm surrounded by rats or angels here tbh

Rats, but sexy rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

double nine posted:

Yeah definitely under no circumstances start from latest and go backwards. And yeah, seconding the recommendation to sub to the patreon; their patron-exclusive content is some of the best stuff they do.