Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Szmitten posted:

Imagine not using Firefox exclusively for nearly 20 years. And every time I've used Chrome I've hated how it behaves, but willing to endure Edge since it's the same but is included.

I switched because Firefox seemed to be getting slow and Chrome was comparatively faster. Now it's looking like Firefox might be the better bet, particularly when Manifest V3 kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Szmitten posted:

Imagine not using Firefox exclusively for nearly 20 years. And every time I've used Chrome I've hated how it behaves, but willing to endure Edge since it's the same but is included.

This, but let's be honest, Mozilla has done a bunch of crap to burn bridges with the community at times, legacy extensions come to mind as the big one.

There are still things I'm missing that aren't possible to do currently. They're a bit slow to implement new features to replace ones we had. Maybe they're hoping we'll all die off or forget how things were

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

HalloKitty posted:

This, but let's be honest, Mozilla has done a bunch of crap to burn bridges with the community at times, legacy extensions come to mind as the big one.

You still got Pale Moon if you want legacy poo poo!

lol
I keep wanting Pale Moon to be good but the dev is kinda nuts

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Go run vsynctester.com on FF and report back.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redeyes posted:

Go run vsynctester.com on FF and report back.

Seems to work fine mate? I can break the sync by alt-tabbing or loading a new background tab, but same thing happens in chrome.

And of course there's a huge banner at the top of the page saying firefox is broken, do not use. Which then links to a page where the guy explicitly says "I'm not testing firefox anymore". :lol:

OTOH this proves nothing either way about video playback, which
1. is a totally different system than animation with the web renderer
2. interacts awkwardly with vsync in the first place because you're playing 24 fps video, so unless you have a 120hz monitor the frames don't match
For video, are you dropping frames?

BrainDance posted:

You still got Pale Moon if you want legacy poo poo!
The lovely thing about getting rid of legacy extensions wasn't that they did it, it was how they did it. (Told extension authors it wasn't being removed, made them do a fuckton of work to update their stuff for a new multiprocess system, and then said was being removed. A couple of authors of super-popular extensions couldn't take it and quit after that.)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use Vivaldi. I switched to Apple on mobile so I just use Safari. It is actually quite good. Vivaldi is developing an ios version, maybe It’ll be even better.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mozilla rarely changes the UI in updates, which is a thing I value highly.

Whatever new widget is next added to Edge will probably be harmless and can be turned off. But in practice I always discover it early in the morning before I’ve finished my coffee and have no patience.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Ihmemies posted:

I use Vivaldi. I switched to Apple on mobile so I just use Safari. It is actually quite good. Vivaldi is developing an ios version, maybe It’ll be even better.

All iOS web browsers use Safari's engine anyways so really the QOL life stuff is most of the difference.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Blurb3947 posted:

All iOS web browsers use Safari's engine anyways so really the QOL life stuff is most of the difference.

Majority of browser makers are currently preparing ios native versions as EU is going to force Apple to allow that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Szmitten posted:

I've been using Firefox for the last 6 months and I'm about ready to switch back to chrome. or maybe edge, i don't know. Firefox is just so slow in almost everything it does. I think hardware acceleration is just plain broken for me. it works in every browser but firefox, no matter what settings i use. And they still haven't bothered implemented basic features that have been a part of chrome for many years now, like hdr video support.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

There are still things I'm missing that aren't possible to do currently.

I miss my Gif Pauser extension. :smith:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've been using Firefox for the last 6 months and I'm about ready to switch back to chrome. or maybe edge, i don't know. Firefox is just so slow in almost everything it does. I think hardware acceleration is just plain broken for me. it works in every browser but firefox, no matter what settings i use. And they still haven't bothered implemented basic features that have been a part of chrome for many years now, like hdr video support.
I thought about saying maybe hardware acceleration off may be your best bet, you may be onto something there.
(To the other Firefox poster)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've been a longtime Firefox user for many years, but just recently started using Edge just out of curiosity. And...I think I like it. Enough that I'll probably keep using it full time I mean. Doesn't seem to hog as much RAM as FF did, and it has the handful of extensions I like to use so functionality seems to be on par with what I had.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've never had any want or need to find out how much RAM a browser is using.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've never had any want or need to find out how much RAM a browser is using.

Yeah I guess in the modern day of super fast solid state storage and high-speed DDR4/5 memory it's not really an issue. Maybe it's just my own personal holdover pc-ptsd from way back in the day. I just know Firefox has been crashing a lot on me lately and I only know that somehow it has run away with my system resources, and Edge hasn't seem to yet. I honestly don't know why FF has been giving me so much trouble lately, I keep my machines relatively clean and up to date.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I stopped worrying about RAM when windows started “using” most of it. The Ram usage in task manager is totally meaningless now.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Especially when RAM is so cheap. 64-128 gigs of ram is not too expensive, especially used. EEC sever ram is super cheap.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
It is a hard habit to break from early PC days.

Ideally you want as much ram as possible allocated intelligently to things you commonly do/use because that's faster.

Also on phones, I grew up immediately closing anything I wasn't using, but rebooting an app you use frequently costs more battery than just letting it lie dormant. (I still close things I only occasionally use)

OS's have gotten better at managing these things and tech specs have gotten greater in the last 20 years.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mental Hospitality posted:

Yeah I guess in the modern day of super fast solid state storage and high-speed DDR4/5 memory it's not really an issue. Maybe it's just my own personal holdover pc-ptsd from way back in the day. I just know Firefox has been crashing a lot on me lately and I only know that somehow it has run away with my system resources, and Edge hasn't seem to yet. I honestly don't know why FF has been giving me so much trouble lately, I keep my machines relatively clean and up to date.
Yeah no sure if you're having crashes related to that, that makes sense. I'm probably lucky that Firefox has just been trucking along for years without any of that.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Is it finally time to update my desktop to Windows 11? Or is this a ain't-broke-don't-fix-it kind of situation?

I'm not a MSFT cloud anything user, so local accounts and all that on my current config. I know on my laptop (now running 11) that's been weird since Microsoft REALLY wants you to login with your MSFT account instead of a local one.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

Is it finally time to update my desktop to Windows 11?

Is there a real, identifiable feature on Windows 11 you want? Are you OK with your desktop OS looking and functioning a lot more like a tablet OS?

If so, go nuts. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The official end of life date for Win10 is in October 2025. They are almost definitely still going to be putting out minor patches/updates for a while after.

So it isn't really worth the effort of upgrading at this point in time unless there's something from Win11 you really want.

On the other hand, if you're going to be retiring your current PC or doing a major hardware refresh in the interim, might as well switch OS at the same time.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 11, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tabbed file explorer was what made me move to 11 as a default

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

jokes posted:

Some people used a pencil tabs in TotalCommander for 20 years

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is there a real, identifiable feature on Windows 11 you want? Are you OK with your desktop OS looking and functioning a lot more like a tablet OS?

Nah, nothing major that I can think of on the Windows 11 side.

I've updated my laptop already. I just can't get squared on the cloud-first OS stuff. I really don't like the idea that someone else has access to reset my password, or auth in to my machine. Ever.

I really didn't like that setting up the fingerprint required me to also setup an insecure PIN (like a drat tablet!) instead of just using the password I already had setup.

Is this the current version of "thats why you need NT/Enterprise/Pro/Workstation" Windows?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This. You can ride out 10 for a couple of years if you're on the main releases, and by then Windows 11 will no doubt be in a better place

jokes posted:

I'm surprised that a power user that actually would want tabbed file explorer would wait all this time to upgrade their whole OS to gain that feature as opposed to using a replacement (like dopus, which is admittedly painfully expensive when you want pro, which you do)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 11, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's easy: I'm not a power user.

I do use Groupy though, and do some regedit stuff sometimes.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

(like dopus, which is admittedly painfully expensive when you want pro, which you do)
TotalCommander runs circles around dopus

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

MikusR posted:

TotalCommander runs circles around dopus

Fair enough, I should probably give it a go, I know others who are very happy with it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
FAR :smug:

I don't really see the point of a tabbed Explorer as I'm more likely to want to see multiple folders at once to compare or move anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I could do with a pane explorer as I guess that would mean fewer total windows when I'm dragging files around. Tabs really don't help me much.

But what they really need to do is fix their garbage search feature. I guess it does okay at finding stuff but the way it hijacks the path bar and the only way to get back to a directory is with the browser-style arrow keys has always annoyed me.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Why implement tabbed explorer and leave out dual pane explorer? For me the latter is way more useful than the former. Microsoft, the company of half measures.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
They also missed pretty basic opportunities like unzipping an archive opening the decompressed files in a new tab instead of a new window. Sigh.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pvt. Parts posted:

They also missed pretty basic opportunities like unzipping an archive opening the decompressed files in a new tab instead of a new window. Sigh.

Windows 12 is right around the corner

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I really like my Win11, partly because I have a lifetime Object Desktop sub to personalize my desktop. The main, best feature, though?

Multiple monitors works great without a bunch of fiddling around when you have a restart or power fluctuation or nothing at all!

Also, Tabbed WinExplorer windows by default is nice, and I couldn’t survive without PowerToys in 11.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Does Win 11 support monitor persistence with a Display Port KVM?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FunOne posted:

Nah, nothing major that I can think of on the Windows 11 side.

I've updated my laptop already. I just can't get squared on the cloud-first OS stuff. I really don't like the idea that someone else has access to reset my password, or auth in to my machine. Ever.

I really didn't like that setting up the fingerprint required me to also setup an insecure PIN (like a drat tablet!) instead of just using the password I already had setup.

Is this the current version of "thats why you need NT/Enterprise/Pro/Workstation" Windows?

Iirc, pins are local only, can't be automated from within Windows, and failed attempts are cut off at like eight before it locks you out until restart. It's dumb it doesn't let you use password as your backup, but it's not really appreciably less secure for realistic normal people threat models, imo.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Iirc, pins are local only, can't be automated from within Windows, and failed attempts are cut off at like eight before it locks you out until restart. It's dumb it doesn't let you use password as your backup, but it's not really appreciably less secure for realistic normal people threat models, imo.

Yeah, I try not to be a crazy person, but I don't want it to be easy to get into my systems. In this case, its the stupid that bothers me more than the threat vector.

Right up there with "to enable device encryption you gotta put in a thumb drive" which somehow comes from a world where the cloud DOESNT exist.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The cloud doesn't exist it's just another computer running windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I think it's time to upgrade my Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10. Running into too many programs who's latest version requires 10.

Is it wise to do an upgrade in place, or should I really do a clean install? I'm under the impression that you should always do a clean install but that impression is... perhaps a decade old?