Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Sexual Aluminum posted:

What's a fun quest based modpack? Last time I got into Minecraft Agrarian Skies 2 and such were the bee's knees, what's the latest and greatest?

I like Feed the Beast packs. I was pretty impressed with Stoneblock 3 and I'm looking forward to trying FTB Skies when I get some time soon. Also had a good time with All The Magic and yeah, Create Above and Beyond. Feel free to quit Create when you get sick of it, the later quests are a hassle and my group just said gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hooplah posted:

the steam oven and steam macerator rule, probably your best option for those tasks until you get the multiblock furnace with coils and the HV macerator for byproducts

I forgot about the steam oven! Maybe I should check it out, though I've been using a wall of 6 Nether Furnaces for most of my bulk smelting and that's been working pretty well for me.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

What's a fun quest based modpack? Last time I got into Minecraft Agrarian Skies 2 and such were the bee's knees, what's the latest and greatest?

If you don't feel like the grind of Gregtech-based modpacks, I highly recommend Enigmatica 2: Expert.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you want to skyblock, don't like Gregtech, but DO want the complexity then Project Ozone 3's kappa or mythic modes are very good.

The complexity is more geared towards getting various mods to all work together, massively scaling production and infinite resource generation.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

RocketMermaid posted:

If you don't feel like the grind of Gregtech-based modpacks, I highly recommend Enigmatica 2: Expert.

Enigmatica 6 Expert is also decent and based on Minecraft 1.16.x.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Does Nomifactory include that AE addon that lets you use fluids in recipes? I know I saw that mod finally exists, maybe on Nomifactory GTCE? Having to make so many parallel assemblers and chemical reactors was always one of the biggest pains of AE.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What does the map look like for a 60% hydration biome? Also, I found a goblin hut and it had a door then I lost the door and looked at what it took to make a door and cried a little :( . There is however a village nearby but I'm not going near it until I have a bed unless the village has beds?!!? I am finding GTNH a good side mod pack when I want to avoid making my big base in ATM8 and working towards a an ATM Star.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

What does the map look like for a 60% hydration biome? Also, I found a goblin hut and it had a door then I lost the door and looked at what it took to make a door and cried a little :( . There is however a village nearby but I'm not going near it until I have a bed. I am finding GTNH a good side mod pack when I want to avoid making my big base in ATM8 and working towards a an ATM Star.

Look for a forested area with dark brown or extremely brilliant green grass, both are good signs of humidity but the other biggest tell is water, obviously. If you can't find a naturally occurring 60% humidity biome then you can plant and replant Silverwood trees until they turn a biome into a Magical Forest biome, which is 60% humidity. Marshlands and bogs are good with lots of surface water, but a huge pain in the rear end to navigate unless you terraform a section to be solid ground. You can also look for cherry blossom trees, the biome I found with cherry trees is above 60% humidity but they're just a pain in the rear end to get to/move all my stuff to at thus point

I'm in a 20% humidity biome next to snow and sand, so I did the magical forest biome thing without even realizing, I was just following the questbook and realized it was raining a lot now around my crops/tree farm and the grass was a vibrant green color.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Vib Rib posted:

Does Nomifactory include that AE addon that lets you use fluids in recipes? I know I saw that mod finally exists, maybe on Nomifactory GTCE? Having to make so many parallel assemblers and chemical reactors was always one of the biggest pains of AE.

Nomifactory GTCEu supports it but is not included by default. There's a link to the right one in their curseforge listing, download the version for MC 1.12.2. I added it to my server and have been using it a lot and it's great. Make sure you read the wiki or you'll be wondering why poo poo isn't working.

Long story short, use the fluid pattern terminal to make any pattern that uses fluids, use dual ME interface on any device that accepts fluids, simple fluid crafting table patterns go into a fluid assembler by itself (not next to an ME interface like a normal assembler, it has pattern storage), add one fluid discretionizer to your ae2 network or none of this will work.

I use the poo poo out of it, it's great.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

What does the map look like for a 60% hydration biome? Also, I found a goblin hut and it had a door then I lost the door and looked at what it took to make a door and cried a little :( . There is however a village nearby but I'm not going near it until I have a bed unless the village has beds?!!? I am finding GTNH a good side mod pack when I want to avoid making my big base in ATM8 and working towards a an ATM Star.

You can loot most/all of the stuff you need for a bed from a village. Fences, wood, and even wool from the Tinker's Construct houses if one spawns. Plus doors, torches, lots of gravel for flint, furnaces, books, and blacksmith loot. Larceny is your friend and sticky fingers are your weapon.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RandomBlue posted:

Nomifactory GTCEu supports it but is not included by default. There's a link to the right one in their curseforge listing, download the version for MC 1.12.2. I added it to my server and have been using it a lot and it's great. Make sure you read the wiki or you'll be wondering why poo poo isn't working.

Long story short, use the fluid pattern terminal to make any pattern that uses fluids, use dual ME interface on any device that accepts fluids, simple fluid crafting table patterns go into a fluid assembler by itself (not next to an ME interface like a normal assembler, it has pattern storage), add one fluid discretionizer to your ae2 network or none of this will work.

I use the poo poo out of it, it's great.
I read this and I look over at Refined Storage that just does it inline, automatically, as part of its generic interfaces, and wonder how it all came to this.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Holyshoot posted:

If you get lucky, the Mystic Grove biome with blue and purple trees in it has 100% humidity, and the Tropical Rainforest has 120%. But be aware that these high humidity levels may affect your Bee escapades if you decide to look into them.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

FPzero posted:

If you get lucky, the Mystic Grove biome with blue and purple trees in it has 100% humidity, and the Tropical Rainforest has 120%. But be aware that these high humidity levels may affect your Bee escapades if you decide to look into them.

120% humidity? Gregtech adds Florida to Minecraft?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Echophonic posted:

120% humidity? Gregtech adds Florida to Minecraft?

There's actually a dimension called the Toxic Everglades, so, yes, it does.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vib Rib posted:

I read this and I look over at Refined Storage that just does it inline, automatically, as part of its generic interfaces, and wonder how it all came to this.

To be fair there's some things that AE2 handles much more elegantly than RS, like fuckin' Powah empowering orb crafts.

Oh how I hate those things.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Kyrosiris posted:

To be fair there's some things that AE2 handles much more elegantly than RS, like fuckin' Powah empowering orb crafts.

Oh how I hate those things.

Yeah, I like Powah, but the orb is such a loving hassle. Last time I had to do those was Stoneblock and I ended up hackjobbing a LaserIO setup.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I like Powah, but the orb is such a loving hassle. Last time I had to do those was Stoneblock and I ended up hackjobbing a LaserIO setup.

Yeah, in ATM8 I ended up with some bullshit redstone comparator setup because you need to manage recipes with 1/2/3/4/6 items and the only vaguely viable way with RS is the crafters' "send next craft on redstone pulse" option.

I got this close to setting up a separate AE2 just for that loving orb.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, in ATM8 I ended up with some bullshit redstone comparator setup because you need to manage recipes with 1/2/3/4/6 items and the only vaguely viable way with RS is the crafters' "send next craft on redstone pulse" option.

I got this close to setting up a separate AE2 just for that loving orb.

I just fed the loving thing with juiced up Condensers in Stoneblock. Thank god for ProjectE being trivial to snap in half with the compact power flowers.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oh see I'm talking about the automation of insert/extraction. Power generation was a piece of piss with Mekanism fission and fusion, but getting the orb's "you need exactly three items, no more and no less" behavior to work well with a system that sees "make me 10 of this" and happily tries to shove all thirty components into the orb at once was uh... well, we'll be polite and call it "a pain in the dick".

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It's easy to automate Powah and Refined Storage using a bit of Integrated Dynamics.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bawk posted:

I used to do this same thing in Modern Skyblock 3 but with blaze meshes to make lava, I put a backboard behind it so it would bounce in lol.

I'm going to build a few solar boilers today and put them on another water tank above my coke ovens so I can forgehammer/dump in coal ore to auto-hop in, along with redstone clocks to auto pour creosote, and try building the multiblock creosote boiler and bronze macerator as my main ore processing place this week. I'm pretty close to LV but I like the idea of having a large boiler go keep the initial machine area up to the task. I have a 2.4mil steam buffer running off of 4 boilers right now so i have plenty in the mean time for runber production, but this way I can focus all coal production into just BBFs until I get an EBF off the ground. There's also a windmill macerator I'm interested in trying for stuff like Sulfur and Slime -> rubber since that doesn't need to be purified, but it looks fiddly.

You probably shouldn't make the large boiler. You won't need steam in large quantity once you transition into LV, or even before LV, and it's very expensive.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Echophonic posted:

I like Feed the Beast packs. I was pretty impressed with Stoneblock 3 and I'm looking forward to trying FTB Skies when I get some time soon. Also had a good time with All The Magic and yeah, Create Above and Beyond. Feel free to quit Create when you get sick of it, the later quests are a hassle and my group just said gently caress it.

I played through... well poo poo, I thought I'd played thorugh FTB Skies but I'd actually played through ATM To The Sky 7 and 8. But, yeah whatever ok. Those were pretty good regardless and I had a lot of fun

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Vib Rib posted:

Oh you don't even know about the droplets yet...

They show up in inventory and if you cancel crafting they sometimes stick in the CPU until they're next needed and if you then break that CPU thousands of droplets will spill out and kill your framerate. Every mb is one droplet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

It's easy to automate Powah and Refined Storage using a bit of Integrated Dynamics.

It took me like 10 minutes to figure out the very basic task of "transfer water from sink to fission reactor" using Integrated Dynamics; I'm pretty sure my brain would implode trying anything more complex. :ohdear:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh see I'm talking about the automation of insert/extraction. Power generation was a piece of piss with Mekanism fission and fusion, but getting the orb's "you need exactly three items, no more and no less" behavior to work well with a system that sees "make me 10 of this" and happily tries to shove all thirty components into the orb at once was uh... well, we'll be polite and call it "a pain in the dick".

Yeah, I had the condensers making stuff and used LaserIO counting filters to control the amounts of stuff I dumped into the orbs, then extracted the results into my system proper.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ah, Integrated Dynamics. Been a dog's age since I've last used that. I love esoteric programming languages, and card-based functional languages like ID are really fun. Highly impractical to actually use because of all the damned cards, but fun nonetheless.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
FYI, hold off on upgrading to Nomifactory GTCEu 1.6, it's got some major issues. Put my server in a boot loop after a clean upgrade (new install, world copied) and breaks black steel recipe according to the discord, among other issues like machine audio/animations being broken.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Kyrosiris posted:

It took me like 10 minutes to figure out the very basic task of "transfer water from sink to fission reactor" using Integrated Dynamics; I'm pretty sure my brain would implode trying anything more complex. :ohdear:

It sounds to me like ID was trying to prevent you from filling your fission reactor from your tap. It's a safety feature!

I love how sinks have become the de facto infinite water source for high drain applications.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Kyrosiris posted:

Integrated Dynamics (specifically including Integrated Tunnels, and maybe some other addon mods) is one of my favorite mods, full stop, and I almost feel compelled to sing it's praises, because its really good, and also is one of the least-friendly to learn, so I think a lot of people get put off it.

With the tunnels, one ID conduit network can not only carry multiple types of things (items, fluids, power, redstone, etc.), it can move them super fast by default (energy is something like 2brf/t) for cheap. It also comes with channels, so the same pipes can carry multiple different fluids / items, and can be configured to access sides of machines that its not actually touching, enabling some novel compact processing setups. The (really quite deep, if not very intuitive) logic means you can get some pretty precise control mechanisms going, complementing that compact interface footprint. I've had bases where various energy sources were set on different channels, allowing more renewable power sources to be used first, before less renewable sources were tapped as battery levels depleted. With some of the tunnels that interact with world objects / the player interface block, you can automate some of the weirder in-world crafts, like AE2 crystal growth or AA laser crafts. It can access and work with NBT data in a super deep way that I *think* no other mod can - I once setup a system to monitor / autofarm Astral Sorcery crystal growth based on desired crystal attributes. The tunnels also give you a fairly cheap (once you've visited the End) interdimensional link you can use as a teleporter, but which also fully bridges the networks so all that logic can be brought with it too.

At this point if I'm playing a modpack with ID, unless I'm specifically looking to branch out and try something new, my base is probably going to be powered by an ID network backbone for energy and simple matter transport. Probably paired with an AE2 / RS network, since they're still superior for large scale inventory management / normal crafting jobs.

All of this comes with the downside that the cards are indeed a huge pain in the rear end. It's actually not so bad if all you want is a basic (but ultra-high-throughput!) energy pipe setup, for those you just slap down your generators, put an energy importer on them (plus an empty variable card inside), then put empty energy interfaces on all your consumers. So even if you (or someone reading) isn't interested in really getting deep into ID, I do still think it's a totally practical, unusually good even, energy pipe for general use.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 11, 2023

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

I love how sinks have become the de facto infinite water source for high drain applications.

"Yeah I'm cooling a fission reactor with a kitchen sink" is such Peak Modded Minecraft and it really does delight me to no end. :allears:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GTNH nerfs the sink. Unplayable :argh:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

GTNH nerfs the sink. Unplayable :argh:

I thought it was funny when I set up the kitchen and saw it needed water actually attached.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
one of the single best moments of my GTNH playthrough was slapping together a dedicated water tank for the sink. The perfect version of Modded Minecraft would to me have that kind of thing plus the complicated assembly line processes of using AE to get things assembled, but no loving space travel. I am pretty sure the sheer hassle of those rocket ships is what killed my run.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I've never messed around with Integrated Tunnels, but for simple boolean logic based on the contents of inventories or block NBT data or whatever, it is excellent.

For the Orb you hook an Inventory Reader up to it, and use a Delayer to watch for the tick where the Orb's output slot transitions from empty to full, and then hook that up to a Redstone Writer attached to the RS Crafter in "Pulse to craft next item" mode.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Impermanent posted:

one of the single best moments of my GTNH playthrough was slapping together a dedicated water tank for the sink. The perfect version of Modded Minecraft would to me have that kind of thing plus the complicated assembly line processes of using AE to get things assembled, but no loving space travel. I am pretty sure the sheer hassle of those rocket ships is what killed my run.

This is where I'm at and I love overbuilding stuff too, if it's almost useless but it's part of a modpack and sits as a physical structure, I'll probably still build it. Immersive Engineering is probably what put this particular set of brain worms on my head, because I don't need to build a fuel depot when I have a perfectly good one-block generator that outputs millions of RF in a skyblock, but I've got all of this creosote and nothing to do with it! :shepface:

Which, also:

McFrugal posted:

You probably shouldn't make the large boiler. You won't need steam in large quantity once you transition into LV, or even before LV, and it's very expensive.

I appreciate the warning, but I'm pretty close to having a bending machine and I like ticking boxes, so expensive isn't a huge deal to me, thats just more time spent in a mine. I've already got half a barrel of steel with a full barrell of iron amd coal, and just need to start a new mine in the Nether for the copper since that one is 1 chunk away from my portal instead of the 8 chunks away that my overworld mine is at, and i have 2 cassiterite mines relatively close to my base, so I can make a lot of tin for the bronze. Even if I build it and move on, that's still one more neat little thing to build that I can check off the questbook as I move on to LV proper.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm not sure why the mention of not needing Steam in LV, frankly my whole base is well into LV and getting ready to move toward MV, and I've been using steam for everything thus far. The EBF is going to require me to refine light fuel to keep up with its power demands, but my main machines are all running on Steam Turbine power for now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
GTNH has multiple paths to power and it really depends on your scale and speed of playing. Want to make 1-2 giant fuckoff boilers that take hours to get up to heat but pump out ungodly amounts of turbine power that can be used to at least HV? Go for it. Want to just make smaller, more decentralized power plants that convert directly to whatever power? Supports this too.

Personally I went with the massive boilers because they: look cool, and prefer centralized power to run many machines in parallel but I also don't leave the game running overnight.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

RandomBlue posted:

FYI, hold off on upgrading to Nomifactory GTCEu 1.6, it's got some major issues. Put my server in a boot loop after a clean upgrade (new install, world copied) and breaks black steel recipe according to the discord, among other issues like machine audio/animations being broken.
OTOH if you're playing single player and already yolo'd it, you get an integrated circuit # option in every machine without a separate item and your wiremills can now go from ingot->#x wire and fine wire in one go which is really nice.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Rynoto posted:

Personally I went with the massive boilers because they: look cool, and prefer centralized power to run many machines in parallel but I also don't leave the game running overnight.

I like to live dangerously so this is exactly what I'm doing :getin:

i already have enough tank siding blocks to build four more for just this boiler alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

FYI: If you're making Long Distance Fluid Pipes, be sure to check the recipes because instead of using the crafting recipe that takes 18 steel plates for 32 pipes, there is an assembler recipe that costs 21 steel plates and one molten tin bar for 64 pipes.

:cripes:
(guess what i didn't pay attention to)