Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Karl Hungus posted:

I can't see spending anything more than what the Homo Sapiens cost ~$1200. Even that is pushing my limit. It will have to really grab my attention to get me to spend that in the future.

*sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Huh, I didn't realize the Dorsal Fin was that much more expensive than other Nakayas. Turns out they run roughly twice the price of a Decapod - I know it doesn't really make sense to talk about value for money at this point but the Decapod really seems like a better buy. Though of course I'd say that since I have the latter but not the former.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dad Hominem posted:

Huh, I didn't realize the Dorsal Fin was that much more expensive than other Nakayas. Turns out they run roughly twice the price of a Decapod - I know it doesn't really make sense to talk about value for money at this point but the Decapod really seems like a better buy. Though of course I'd say that since I have the latter but not the former.

As I understand it, it's the time and work involved in building up the fin.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Interrupting expensive pen chat with cheap pen chat:

I've got a Twisbi AL Star that has been my go-to pen for about 2 years now, refilling a cart with Diamine Skull and Roses. It's been flawless.

But then I left it dry for a bit and now cannot get it to write.

I've cleaned it to the point where water pushed through with a bulb was absolutely clear.

I've started it by dipping the nib in the ink and it will write till that ink is gone, then go dry again.

I've stored it nib down for days hoping the ink would flow, but it has not.

How did this go from one my best pens to one of my worst?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Karl Hungus posted:

The double chamber design does take some getting used to and I consistently make a mess refilling them. Gloves are definitely needed.

How exactly are you refilling them? The only trouble I run into with my Viscontis is the occasional overly saturated feed that then blurps ink everywhere, but a quick blot on some paper towel fixes that. If you want a truly idiot proof refilling experience get a Pineider Pen Filler. It's a Visconti traveling ink well, only cheaper and easier to clean.

Also, 1200 for a Homo Sapiens LE is too much money imo, but that's more because I remember when they were in the $800 range.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

stealie72 posted:

I've got a Twisbi AL Star that has been my go-to pen for about 2 years now, refilling a cart with Diamine Skull and Roses. It's been flawless.

I've cleaned it to the point where water pushed through with a bulb was absolutely clear.

I've started it by dipping the nib in the ink and it will write till that ink is gone, then go dry again.

Maybe someone else has a better solution but have you considered just soaking it for a very long time (overnight, or over a few days) and see if that dissolves any remaining deposits?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

sb hermit posted:

Maybe someone else has a better solution but have you considered just soaking it for a very long time (overnight, or over a few days) and see if that dissolves any remaining deposits?
I did a few hours in cleaning solution as part of the cleaning, but could try that.

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Mine dispatcher says there's something wrong mitt deine kable.
Nap Ghost

howe_sam posted:

How exactly are you refilling them? The only trouble I run into with my Viscontis is the occasional overly saturated feed that then blurps ink everywhere, but a quick blot on some paper towel fixes that. If you want a truly idiot proof refilling experience get a Pineider Pen Filler. It's a Visconti traveling ink well, only cheaper and easier to clean.

Also, 1200 for a Homo Sapiens LE is too much money imo, but that's more because I remember when they were in the $800 range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G69-3yBsH8Y

I always get a burp.

Agree on the price. I wish I bought the Viscontis a year about. Euro-US currency exchange plus inflation hosed me. Hard.

Karl Hungus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 10, 2023

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

stealie72 posted:

Lamy al-star? TWSBI eco? Either one, did you remove the feed and nib when soaking? It sounds like ink residue has hardened and clogged up the ink flow somewhere, I would think at the very point where the feed connects to the ink chamber. Full disassemble would tackle that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh, yeah that trick. Just fill the pen up halfway, that way you get to put a new ink in it sooner.

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Mine dispatcher says there's something wrong mitt deine kable.
Nap Ghost

howe_sam posted:

Oh, yeah that trick. Just fill the pen up halfway, that way you get to put a new ink in it sooner.

Yep. Even a half full is more than most pens.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Keetron posted:

Lamy al-star? TWSBI eco? Either one, did you remove the feed and nib when soaking? It sounds like ink residue has hardened and clogged up the ink flow somewhere, I would think at the very point where the feed connects to the ink chamber. Full disassemble would tackle that.
Lol, too much reading about ecos. Yah, LAMY al-star.

And will give that a shot.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
You might also try flossing the tines with a shim - ime it can help with stubborn flow issues that don’t react to anything else.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jaytan posted:

Can you say more about this? I own three VPs and the only problems I've ever had with them is they dry out faster than capped pens (this is only a problem when I don't write with one for a few weeks). It seems like even if the pen was executed perfectly, its got a steel nib instead of gold so I'd expect it to write slightly worse. Not to go into whether the difference is worth 120 bucks since you already own both.

I should clarify that when I said the A1 worked better for me I meant the grip. Not having the clip in the way made it much more comfortable. I've not had any issues with the A1 drying out, at least in comparison to my VP. The nib isn't as nice, of course, but you would kind of expect that for the price difference. All that said, I tune my nibs so out-of-the-box performance doesn't matter a whole lot to me.

stealie72 posted:

There's probably a blockage in the feed, sludge that won't come out with a simple rinse. Pull out the nib and feed and soak them in a solution of 10% white vinegar or ammonia over night.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

grack posted:

I should clarify that when I said the A1 worked better for me I meant the grip. Not having the clip in the way made it much more comfortable. I've not had any issues with the A1 drying out, at least in comparison to my VP. The nib isn't as nice, of course, but you would kind of expect that for the price difference. All that said, I tune my nibs so out-of-the-box performance doesn't matter a whole lot to me.

There's probably a blockage in the feed, sludge that won't come out with a simple rinse. Pull out the nib and feed and soak them in a solution of 10% white vinegar or ammonia over night.

Are they any recommended resources you could share to learn how to tune my own nibs? Websites, videos, books, etc.?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

madmatt112 posted:

Are they any recommended resources you could share to learn how to tune my own nibs? Websites, videos, books, etc.?

Start with Richard Binder's notes on nib tuning. It's a PDF that's freely available on the internet. It'll give you the basics about how to inspect pens and determine if there are any faults in the nib, and how to go about fixing them. It'll also give you the basics of how to smooth nibs.

Get proper abrasives - Micromesh is suggested as it's widely available and very consistently graded. Any woodwork store will carry it. You want to start with 6000, 8000, and 12000 grit.

Then, get about 50 cheap Chinese pens off of eBay and just go nuts.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

grack posted:

Start with Richard Binder's notes on nib tuning. It's a PDF that's freely available on the internet. It'll give you the basics about how to inspect pens and determine if there are any faults in the nib, and how to go about fixing them. It'll also give you the basics of how to smooth nibs.

Get proper abrasives - Micromesh is suggested as it's widely available and very consistently graded. Any woodwork store will carry it. You want to start with 6000, 8000, and 12000 grit.

Then, get about 50 cheap Chinese pens off of eBay and just go nuts.

poo poo, man, thanks. This is great!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Took a step back and ordered another preppy to convert and also a pilot kakuno because who could resist that face? :swoon:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My wife recently purchased a Kaweco Student which is a pen I don't see talked about a lot. She got it in a green and cream kind of colorway and it's a great-looking pen, and one of the smoothest writers I've ever used. Is this how Kaweco Sports write? Because if so I've been missing out in my collection of low-to-mid range pens.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

I was surprised at how well the Kaweco Perkeo I impulse bought for like $25 writes, super smooth, and just picked it up after not using it for 2+ months and it worked great, no leaks or blocks.

Can't say the same for my Safaris which I'm about to stop using as my daily drivers due to daily leaks and creep and total blocks after a week of non-use. Maybe it's the inks.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

RichterIX posted:

My wife recently purchased a Kaweco Student which is a pen I don't see talked about a lot. She got it in a green and cream kind of colorway and it's a great-looking pen, and one of the smoothest writers I've ever used. Is this how Kaweco Sports write? Because if so I've been missing out in my collection of low-to-mid range pens.

I have a Sport in double broad, so it's going to be super smooth no matter what. I did have a Sport in fine several years ago before I got into fountain pens as a major hobby, and it wrote well. I've heard mixed reviews about the finer nibs on Sports, but everyone I know who has one enjoys theirs.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
The winner of my non-working AL Star fix-a-thon was the blocked feed. It was nasty in there.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Anyone have a brown ink they really like? Preferably a darker shade but still noticeably brown?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

PlushCow posted:

Anyone have a brown ink they really like? Preferably a darker shade but still noticeably brown?

My go-to brown is J. Herbin Lie de The, with the new-ish backup of Birmingham Oak Moss. Neither of these are especially dark, though.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Iroshizuku Tsukushi. Lie de The is also nice but not as smooth. And of course Diamine Ancient Copper.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's pricey, but Piano Mahogany is a nice dark brown. All the other browns I've used tend to be a bit lighter and redder.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

roomtwofifteen posted:

I was surprised at how well the Kaweco Perkeo I impulse bought for like $25 writes, super smooth, and just picked it up after not using it for 2+ months and it worked great, no leaks or blocks.

Can't say the same for my Safaris which I'm about to stop using as my daily drivers due to daily leaks and creep and total blocks after a week of non-use. Maybe it's the inks.

I absolutely despise my Safari. It's the scratchiest pen I've ever used, it will actively pick up paper fibers from cheaper paper and turn them into a tiny ball of inky pulp at the tip of the nib. I know I could probably smooth it out with some micromesh or something but at the price it was I just haven't wanted to mess with it. Also after a while the cap started feeling loose and doesn't click when I cap it, so it's just empty now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have a Lamy Safari F and a Pilot Kakuno F. I absolutely love the Lamy. It was my first fountain pen. It’s so smooth, wet, and really lets the shading and variation come out in the inks I like. I was really hyped for the Kakuno but I’m honestly just not feeling it. It’s scratchy in a way I don’t love. Writes far more dry. It’s fine to the point where I don’t get much of the shading that I like.

This has me realizing that I definitely prefer European nib sizes that are wet and smooth enough to be nearly effortless to write “thick” lines. I thought about trying a Kakuno M to see if that’s closer to what I want since I really do like everything else about the Kakuno. Should I go fully in the direction my heart wants though and try a Lamy M or even Broad size?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

stealie72 posted:

The winner of my non-working AL Star fix-a-thon was the blocked feed. It was nasty in there.

:toot:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have a Lamy Safari F and a Pilot Kakuno F. I absolutely love the Lamy. It was my first fountain pen. It’s so smooth, wet, and really lets the shading and variation come out in the inks I like. I was really hyped for the Kakuno but I’m honestly just not feeling it. It’s scratchy in a way I don’t love. Writes far more dry. It’s fine to the point where I don’t get much of the shading that I like.

This has me realizing that I definitely prefer European nib sizes that are wet and smooth enough to be nearly effortless to write “thick” lines. I thought about trying a Kakuno M to see if that’s closer to what I want since I really do like everything else about the Kakuno. Should I go fully in the direction my heart wants though and try a Lamy M or even Broad size?

Just as a caveat since I was pretty annoyed to find this out when I started buying fountain pens, Lamy nibs are not at all consistent in my experience in terms of how wet/scratchy they are. It's kind of a crapshoot whether you'll get a great nib or one that barely writes, I have a few Safaris and they all seem to write noticeably different for whatever reason.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

PlushCow posted:

Using Sailors. I mostly bought it because I'd never seen/used their inks but love it.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

Just as a caveat since I was pretty annoyed to find this out when I started buying fountain pens, Lamy nibs are not at all consistent in my experience in terms of how wet/scratchy they are. It's kind of a crapshoot whether you'll get a great nib or one that barely writes, I have a few Safaris and they all seem to write noticeably different for whatever reason.

Also, the difference between EF and F is at times not apparent. I'm pretty sure my EF Lamy Safari writes a wider line than my Fine nib one. It depends on the ink too, but compared to something like my Sheaffer 440 EF, the line variation is wildly off.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Nagasawa Kobe #16 is one of my favorite browns. Taccia Sharaku-kurocha and Monteverde Scotch Brown are close seconds.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

atholbrose posted:

My go-to brown is J. Herbin Lie de The, with the new-ish backup of Birmingham Oak Moss. Neither of these are especially dark, though.

Keetron posted:

Iroshizuku Tsukushi. Lie de The is also nice but not as smooth. And of course Diamine Ancient Copper.

howe_sam posted:

It's pricey, but Piano Mahogany is a nice dark brown. All the other browns I've used tend to be a bit lighter and redder.

teethgrinder posted:

Using Sailors. I mostly bought it because I'd never seen/used their inks but love it.

Chip McFuck posted:

Nagasawa Kobe #16 is one of my favorite browns. Taccia Sharaku-kurocha and Monteverde Scotch Brown are close seconds.

Thanks all! I have a lot of brown inks to check out. I do own Ancient Copper and it's nice but a bit too red for what I'm looking for, kind of an everyday brown that's easy on my eyes.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

RichterIX posted:

Also after a while the cap started feeling loose and doesn't click when I cap it, so it's just empty now.
Every safari i've had does the same thing eventually. I've tried looking for replacements for the rubber sleeve in the cap that's the culprit but new caps are expensive enough that it makes more sense to get a whole new pen.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Yeah, I wasn’t impressed by my AL star. I am glad I took a chance on a gold nib Lamy though - the quality control seems much better in their more expensive pens, which are a delight. I was wary due to my experiences with their cheaper pens, but I fell in love with their Dialog CC. I’ve gotten a few more of their gold nib pens, and they’re great.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Had a bunch of cheap Lamy nibs, but the gold-nibbed 2000 was essentially "my final pen".

But I also use a medium nib so ... less-fussy. Really love the stainless steel 1.1mm calligraphy nib on my Al-Star though.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This made me realize I hadn't cleaned the feeds on my Lamys in.....ever maybe, so, uh, I imagine that's probably going to help my issues with them (I hope).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MockingQuantum posted:

That’s a shame, as I really love so much about what Lamy seems to do with their design philosophy.

latenightedit: staring at kaweco brass pens :swoon:

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Kilometers Davis posted:

latenightedit: staring at kaweco brass pens :swoon:

I've been doing the same for the past month... I really need to get a normal "cheap" sport so I can see if I like the nib and everything enough to justify a brass one. So sexy