Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Commander Keene posted:

There's a translation patch out for the remake of 2 now IIRC.

Which remake? PS1 or 3DS/mobile? Got a link? I'm not seeing anything for it at my usual sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ofecks posted:

Which remake? PS1 or 3DS/mobile? Got a link? I'm not seeing anything for it at my usual sources.

DS and it has been out for years, so it might take some searching. I would toss a link (if my old one still works) but I am travelling and thus unable to do more than phonepost until Monday.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I've finished every main DQ game except 10 but never played a Monsters game. What's the best one?

My personal vote is for Joker 2, though I'll freely admit that's mostly because it's the most up-to-date version that's actually come to America. I should probably see about scrounging around for a translation of one of the 3DS games...

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Ofecks posted:

It's probably not showing up in the usual areas because it was only announced on the GBATemp forums and is hosted on Github. Most up to date version is here, they just finished translating it into french as well apparently.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I started playing DQ8 on Citra and whenever change direction my character comes to a complete stop before starting walking again. Like I can walk in any of the 8 inter/cardinal directions but the second I go from Left to Up-Left instead of smoothly transitioning to the new direction the dude stops for a split second and starts walking again. Is my citra/controller set up wrong or is that just how this is?

e: also are there any skill trees that i should be avoiding? i don't need to be Optimal but if any are just bad i'd rather learn now than later.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 8, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fisticuffs is good for thin air and nothing else. it is in no way competitive with any weapon aside from that one move.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The only skill tree I'd recommend straight-up avoiding putting too many points into is Yangus' Clubs tree. You have better ST and MT attack options in Axes and drop stealing in Scythes, the only thing you could really want from Clubs is Penny Pincher for stealing cash, but even then you'll be able to earn money pretty easily. All the rest are viable options, though I'd recommend not exclusively putting points into the Hero's Boomerangs skill tree, as it's almost entirely MT attacks.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Countblanc posted:

I started playing DQ8 on Citra and whenever change direction my character comes to a complete stop before starting walking again. Like I can walk in any of the 8 inter/cardinal directions but the second I go from Left to Up-Left instead of smoothly transitioning to the new direction the dude stops for a split second and starts walking again. Is my citra/controller set up wrong or is that just how this is?

e: also are there any skill trees that i should be avoiding? i don't need to be Optimal but if any are just bad i'd rather learn now than later.

That sounds like a Citra config issue, because I've not had that happen on real hardware. Not sure how to diagnose and/or fix it, though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

fisticuffs is good for thin air and nothing else. it is in no way competitive with any weapon aside from that one move.

lol this is the thing i immediately put points into with Yangus, oops. well w/e it was only 9, scythes it is then

JustJeff88 posted:

That sounds like a Citra config issue, because I've not had that happen on real hardware. Not sure how to diagnose and/or fix it, though.

that's what i figured, it's annoying enough that i figured I'd have heard SOMEONE mention it when discussing the game before if it was hardware accurate. i thought it might be a deadzone issue but citra does't seem to have a deadzone setting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
thin air is really good, though. it'll clear almost all random battles for 2(?) mp until the 2/3 mark or so.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
With skills it’s worth noting that the 100 skill point ones are virtually never worth it because they’re the standard “spend an obscene amount of MP for a nuke” attacks that are MP inefficient for both bosses and random encounters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only way to do it completely wrong is leveling every skill equally. fisticuffs is far weaker than any weapon, but it's still usable if you want more of a challenge.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fisticuffs until thin air is great on one person. It's a really good skill for the midgame. Don't really lose much sticking on whoever.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Except for the hero, the personal skills are generally considered bad iirc

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
For skills that don't specify a weapon type (ie. Critical Hit rate up on Spear), are those universal for every weapon?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Countblanc posted:

For skills that don't specify a weapon type (ie. Critical Hit rate up on Spear), are those universal for every weapon?
im fairly sure all weapon tree skills only work when using that specific weapon type.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Yeah, it doesn't matter what spear you swap to, they'll all have the crit rate boost.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

serefin99 posted:

My personal vote is for Joker 2, though I'll freely admit that's mostly because it's the most up-to-date version that's actually come to America. I should probably see about scrounging around for a translation of one of the 3DS games...

Joker 3 and Joker 3 professional both have full translation patches.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

Joker 3 and Joker 3 professional both have full translation patches.

When did Professional’s get finished? The last I heard was that it was an unfinished modification of the original patch and didn’t cover the new stuff well.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Last Celebration posted:

With skills it’s worth noting that the 100 skill point ones are virtually never worth it because they’re the standard “spend an obscene amount of MP for a nuke” attacks that are MP inefficient for both bosses and random encounters.

Jessica’s Hustle Dance is really good, free full-party heal that scales with Tension. Though it’s really the only skill worth it from her personal, so that’s a really steep cost. She also gets Kazing at 100 Staves.

In general though yeah, getting key skills in a tree is the better and more fun option. I like getting Hero to 52 Boomerangs for Super Throw and then stopping, and Angelo to 65 Staves for Oomph and then stopping, for example.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prism posted:

When did Professional’s get finished? The last I heard was that it was an unfinished modification of the original patch and didn’t cover the new stuff well.

There's a patch on woodus for DQMJ3 pro but I haven't tried it. I played through Joker 3 and that was enough for me.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
DQ8 3ds: If you plan on getting to level 99 for post game stuff you will get 350 skill points naturally. You can add in a bit more for seeds of skill and super seeds of skill (3ds only). The 3ds version is more generous with the seeds as well.

Suggestions for allocation:

Spoilers ahead.

Hero:

Swords: 100
Spears: 100
Boomerang: 0
Fists: 11
Courage: 100

This puts you at 311 so you have 39 left over without seeds. If you want to put the rest into Boomerangs for fodder, you'll need 3 seeds to get to Super Throw which is pretty useful. Lightning Thrust is important for level grinding, so it's a must.

Yangus:

Axes: 100
Clubs: 0
Scythes: 100
Fists: 0
Humanity: 82

This puts you only at 282, so plenty of points to go from there. Axes are his beat weapon and you want Executioner for metal farming. Scythes help with stealing things like seeds. Yangus does get outclassed by the spoiler characters later on, but Kerplunk from 82 Humanity is great as a last resort. Also having him available for out of battle healing is nice.

Jessica:

Knives: 0
Whips: 100
Staves: 100
Fists: 100 or 50
Appeal: 100 or 50

Staves allow her to regen MP on higher levels and give access to important spells. Whips are good weapons against groups. I would suggest maybe giving her a bulk of the seeds of skill and maxing her MP because Magic Burst is an amazing ability that scales based on her current MP total and can be used with Tension.

Angelo:

Swords: 82
Bows: 100
Staves: 100
Charisma: 52

You'll have a few points left over but most of Angelo's best skills are bows and staves. His sword skills are okay at best and he sadly learns Defending Champion way to late in fists.

Spoiler characters:

Red:

Fans: 82
Whips: 80
Knives: 100
Fists: 7
Rougery: 81

Dance of Life from Fans is her version of Kazing, give her one seed to get Whips up to Twin Tan. The extra HP and skills from Rougery are nice. Blade Cascade from 100 Knives is absolutely busted. Properly setup you can one shot end game bosses with Blade Cascade.

Morrie:

Claws: 100
Clubs: 93
Boomerang: 66
Passion: 88

This leaves you with 3 points left. Rake N Break is great against bosses. He can kill metals with his clubs skills, but his Passion skills are amazing. Intensso raises an ally's tension by 1-2 levels and GRANDE GUSTO raises his own by 2 levels, plus he gets Oomph and Kazing in Passion.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 10, 2023

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I fear that you forgot to spoiler tag the spoiler characters. I'm not upset, just trying to help.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The 3DS version also fixed Angelo’s skill point growth by making it more front-loaded like all the other characters, so that’s another big W.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I haven't played the 3DS version of 8 in a while, but I remember how much Morrie completely trivialized the post game boss to the point of hilarity. Like as if he was almost designed to beat the gently caress out of that part of the game in particular.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
BREAKING DQ12 NEWS

https://www.siliconera.com/dragon-quest-xii-the-flames-of-fate-logo-updated/

The logo is a different shade of red now

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This is a travesty! A travesty, I say! This is not how the game was presented to us, and we shouldn't let them get away with it! :rant:

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I'm hyped af.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

JustJeff88 posted:

I fear that you forgot to spoiler tag the spoiler characters. I'm not upset, just trying to help.

The back of the box literally says you recruit them, this is not a spoiler

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Woah, spoilers!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tbf the original post said “spoilers ahead” and then posted a big ol’ wall of text with no spoiler tags at all which is pretty lol in and of itself

It’s what they’re for

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

History Comes Inside! posted:

Tbf the original post said “spoilers ahead” and then posted a big ol’ wall of text with no spoiler tags at all which is pretty lol in and of itself

It’s what they’re for

Tbf, we're on the internet where hyperbole and overreaction are basically the fabric of reality. I'm fairly sure that if people started being f the web would just disappear.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

What's "Simplygon"? I'm guessing a middleware engine?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ofecks posted:

What's "Simplygon"? I'm guessing a middleware engine?

Yeah, it's middleware for generating LOD assets.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Len posted:

The back of the box literally says you recruit them, this is not a spoiler

Didn't stop people from complaining about Zeke not being in spoiler tags when Xenoblade 2 came out either. :shrug:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some people are really serious about spoilers. That just how it be.

I'm going through DQ4 right now on iOS. I haven't played it since I was a kid and it's one I have the least memory of (along with DQ6). I dunno, something about this one isn't gripping me as much. I never really liked that you have to do the early game grind up effectively 5 times nor how you don't play 'you' until the 5th chapter. They also lay the regional dialects on REALLY thick in this one, and it gets distracting. I'm up to just after when you recruit Ragnar in chapter 5 so I know the game opens up a little more past this so I'm hoping it catches me a bit more.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Didn't stop people from complaining about Zeke not being in spoiler tags when Xenoblade 2 came out either. :shrug:

Those people can be safely laughed at, it's not a spoiler if you're told about it going in

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

SettingSun posted:

They also lay the regional dialects on REALLY thick in this one, and it gets distracting.

This is a common complaint about 4 and 5's modern translations. For what it's worth, the NES version of 4 has perfectly fine regular US English if you want an alternative.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's me, I'm the lunatic who loves all the accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It never bothered me in 5, except for maybe with Sancho. 4 opens with Burland and its nearly inscrutable Scottish accents, and then segues into a truly terrible Russian flavored broken English transliteration with Alena.

I debated for a while whether or not to stick to the NES version but I decided to opt for more features and direct control of my party.