Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what. that seems wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

mastershakeman posted:

how does this make sense whatsoever. defaults aren't anywhere near what they were like a decade ago

They just write it off

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

cant read this poo poo and archive.is isnt working

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

anime was right posted:

cant read this poo poo and archive.is isnt working

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hmm.... maybe making a basic human need (and right) a commodity was a bad idea....

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Joe Biden'ishly:

"I'm happy to announce a revenue backstop program for banks suffering from the impact that overpriced housing has had on mortgage demand..."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

explain all this to me like I’m Joe Biden

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

that’s dumb it’s being presented as if they would lose money by issuing more mortgages.

they aren’t issuing enough mortgages because the market is sale. so they aren’t covering their costs.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Nonsense posted:

explain all this like I’m Joe Biden

people need mortgages but the banks are losing money so we need to help the banks otherwise people won't be able to get those mortgages (homes)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nonsense posted:

explain all this to me like I’m Joe Biden

"OK, grandpa. I'll tell you after Matlock is over and you've had a nap."

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Time to sell

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sounds like more bank bailouts to me. Gotta keep those prices up.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I'm sure it'll be fine.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's no secret that profits are sky high thanks to inflation.

Have you considered that inflation is sky high because of profits?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

excuse for banks to stop issuing mortgages so
Blackrock can buy them all up without pesky serfs bidding as well

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
compulsory 40-year mortgages for all citizens once they turn 18.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
please refinance to a higher rate to help the banks, patriots!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Consummate Professional posted:

please refinance to a higher rate to help the banks, patriots!

tip your landlord

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Lol, lmao, they've tied their own rear end in a knot. Every time they try to wriggle out of poo poo it just breaks something else and leaves them in a slightly worse position.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That last paragraph is a lol from me

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

19 o'clock posted:

compulsory 40-year mortgages for all citizens once they turn 18.

What do you think college is?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
trying to think about the us economy in 2008 and for some reason I’m getting nothing

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

skooma512 posted:

What do you think college is?

lol

financed my education and graduated right before it was overhauled by obama.

it cost a lot and i lament that paying those off cost me my chance at owning a home but hoooooly poo poo is it way worse for kids graduating today :pressf:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

net work error posted:

That last paragraph is a lol from me

seriously.

"things have bottomed out by costing around eight times the median household income."

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

the feds added sesame to the list of major allergens (you know, tree nuts peanuts, shellfish, wheat, etc.) and the entire food industry decided that rather than take steps to avoid cross-contamination, they were just going to add sesame flour to foods that didn't have sesame flour before so they could legally put it on the label

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/04/11/sesame-allergy-law-consequences/

quote:

Four-year-old Mia McDermott just kept getting sick. Throughout January, she had persistent headaches, vomited frequently and became dehydrated, and every time she got better, she’d get worse again. Even after eating one of her favorite foods, a Wendy’s cheeseburger, Mia became violently ill, said her mother, Jessica McDermott.

McDermott was baffled: Her little girl was allergic to sesame, but she was only eating foods she had always eaten safely.

That same month, Emily Tibbs’s 2-year-old son suddenly developed a rash on his face, a cough and stomach pain that made him cry after eating Dave’s Killer white bread, Tibbs said. The Nashville mom was bewildered: Her toddler was allergic to sesame, but she hadn’t fed him anything other than the foods he normally ate.

Scouring the labels of what their children had eaten, both mothers were horrified to discover that sesame was now listed as an ingredient in the cheeseburger, the bread and other baked products that had previously been sesame-free. “I’d been unknowingly poisoning [Mia] for several weeks,” said McDermott, who lives in Philadelphia.

What happened? On Jan. 1, a law intended to safeguard the more than 1.5 million Americans with a sesame allergy — including the McDermott and Tibbs children (and, full disclosure, my son as well) — took effect. The law mandates, among other things, careful cleaning to prevent cross-contact between food products with and without sesame.

In a twist few would have expected, however, many food companies have chosen to add small amounts of sesame flour to products that were previously sesame-free, instead of conducting the careful cleaning required for foods without sesame.

The result? Foods that sesame-allergic kids and adults have eaten safely for years are now potentially life-threatening.

capital always finds the shortest path

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
explain to my tiny slavic brain how a bank loses money on a $500,000 mortgage at like 8% APR

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AI written, that's why it doesn't explain anything

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

BULBASAUR posted:

explain to my tiny slavic brain how a bank loses money on a $500,000 mortgage at like 8% APR

they have a lot of overhead that costs them money regardless of how many mortgages they sell. when they don't sell enough they end up losing money.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

the feds added sesame to the list of major allergens (you know, tree nuts peanuts, shellfish, wheat, etc.) and the entire food industry decided that rather than take steps to avoid cross-contamination, they were just going to add sesame flour to foods that didn't have sesame flour before so they could legally put it on the label

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/04/11/sesame-allergy-law-consequences/

This must be the efficiency I've heard so much about.

My plan is spray dioxin in the face of boards of directors but what the hell, let's add these guys too. It's probably all the same people anyway and there's ever so much dioxin.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what if they held and serviced the loans until
maturity hahahah

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

BULBASAUR posted:

Threre is a lot of crime going on.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Hmm, seems contrary to number go up. Fake news.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

presumably there's a dozen additional layers of finance bullshit between every mortgage payment and the bank that issued it where something gets skimmed off by some other rent seeking entity

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

BULBASAUR posted:

you need to make money off the loan, but there are secondary costs associated with issuing the loan such as paying salaries, taxes, other forms of administrative overhead, and maybe creating financial instruments from them. at least thats my best guess.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

the bitcoin of weed posted:

presumably there's a dozen additional layers of finance bullshit between every mortgage payment and the bank that issued it where something gets skimmed off by some other rent seeking entity

it's also because interest rates have increased so quickly the "valuation" of mortgages as an asset has soared more quickly than they can offload old ones. the banks aren't interested in simply accepting their vig for 30 years, they're bundling/reverse-collateralizing/trading these mortgages as soon as they hit their desks. If they can't sign people up to new ones quickly enough that htey can reap Maximum Interest, they're in quite the pickle lmao

similar situation with some additional bells and whistles to SVB treasuries lmao

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Apr 11, 2023

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

couldn’t they have just put the “may contain ____” labels on things and call it a day? Why was adding sesame a necessary step? I guess it’s been a while since I’ve checked but I swear I’ve seen “may contain tree nuts” on basically every package of peanuts ever (and vice versa), I thought that was just the standard method of not wanting to do a complete clean sweep.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Our younger kid has multiple food allergies and it is loving hell. I wish we know what the gently caress was causing them, because our older isn't allergic to anything and they were treated basically the same.

This loving sucks. Our kid is allergic to oat, which is not on the major allergen list but also not in that many processed foods yet, and if they added oat and then suddenly everything had oat I would pull my hair out.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

euphronius posted:

what if they held and serviced the loans until
maturity hahahah

wow why don't you go take your BUGGY down to the SODA STAND and get a MALT gramps

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Our younger kid has multiple food allergies and it is loving hell. I wish we know what the gently caress was causing them, because our older isn't allergic to anything and they were treated basically the same.

This loving sucks. Our kid is allergic to oat, which is not on the major allergen list but also not in that many processed foods yet, and if they added oat and then suddenly everything had oat I would pull my hair out.

You have at least a year or two before they do that. The oat crop was really bad in Canada last season due to a drought and that poo poo ain't cheap anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

this is extremely funny to all us non allergy havers

BULBASAUR posted:

the article casually mentions at some point that because there's fewer sales, the companies are saying they're overstaffed and thus losing money because theyre cooking the books on this as hard as possible