Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tekne posted:

capitalism has spawned a calamity hydra that can't be controlled but they won't stop feeding it

bdelloid shops pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

aw man. gently caress this poo poo. too much internet for me today after watching that

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

TehSaurus posted:

My group of college friends from 20 years ago has a fairly active email thread still somehow. I often wonder of I should be asking then what they think of the future. The hope is that they could also become radicalized by the existential risk to their children, but I also feel it is kind of cruel to confront them with it when there’s nothing any of them can do about it. Although someone just had a kid a month or so ago, and maybe that’s some suffering that could have been prevented?

Of course, no one would believe it is as bad as I say it is, so it really would be alienating a bunch of human connections for no actual gain and :effort:

Yeah, anyone who's had kids in the last 10 years or so is beyond reaching. You'd have to be pretty much criminally insane to have to even considered it, so just let them be

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

TehSaurus posted:

My group of college friends from 20 years ago has a fairly active email thread still somehow. I often wonder of I should be asking then what they think of the future. The hope is that they could also become radicalized by the existential risk to their children, but I also feel it is kind of cruel to confront them with it when there’s nothing any of them can do about it. Although someone just had a kid a month or so ago, and maybe that’s some suffering that could have been prevented?

Of course, no one would believe it is as bad as I say it is, so it really would be alienating a bunch of human connections for no actual gain and :effort:

It's possible to have uncomfortable conversations without alienating anyone. I hate that the thread always acts like this is some Herculean feat. To wit, I sat my cousin down, ran through everything, and ended with, "and that's why you shouldn't have children." He mostly agreed but held onto a glimmer of hope.

Our relationship stayed the same and last month I congratulated him on the birth of his daughter. :) Poor thing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

This has to be viral marketing.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's possible to have uncomfortable conversations without alienating anyone. I hate that the thread always acts like this is some Herculean feat. To wit, I sat my cousin down, ran through everything, and ended with, "and that's why you shouldn't have children." He mostly agreed but held onto a glimmer of hope.

Our relationship stayed the same and last month I congratulated him on the birth of his daughter. :) Poor thing.

You didn't go hard enough

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
His wife and parents wear the pants in his relationship :shobon: it wasn't going to go any other way

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Osv18 posted:

depopulation is in the ruling class interest tho - but that's not at all equivalent to a conspiracy.

The plan is :tif:

man you are gonna go fukken wild when you learn about the black death and the "golden age of the European Proletariat"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Perry Mason Jar posted:

okay but now imagine trying to have that talk with him after he'd already made the kid

actually it's fine, you don't have to imagine, it just sounds like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuofaDxa6Oo

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

oh my god lmao

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I feel like your cousin might be uncommonly rational. Most of us have relatives who would react angrily to being told anything similar (just look at the idiotic and histrionic responses to anti-natalism pretty much everywhere online)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bunch of aaron sorkin rear end mofos who think they can epic speech their way into completely transforming someone's worldviews, values, and self-image

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Saudi Cows!!!! :mad:

https://twitter.com/TheMcKenziest/status/1645860365664940032?s=20

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Seems fine.

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1645898093903114241

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
oh whats on fire? just the propane tank storage center, nbd

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm reliably informed that propane is a clean burning fuel, so honestly not seeing the problem here

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sojBEB1VKWU

they also own and operate the regions smelters for all the mining

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

It's true. The Saudis also buy land with rights to fossil water, then they drain it for alfalfa and other feed. Once the waters are gone they leave, with all the residents who were using the water before the Saudis arrived now unable to live.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Koirhor posted:

colorado river cuts coming! any day now

speaking of....

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1645878413687701506?s=20

quote:

Amid the failure of Colorado River basin states to come to an agreement over water usage cutbacks, federal officials stepped in on Tuesday with a series of possible solutions.

The Department of Interior’s Bureau of Reclamation presented the options — which could either favor priority water users or distribute the burden evenly — in a bid to address a likely future of “unprecedented water shortages” across the basin, according to the agency.

Presented in a draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS), the alternatives seek to ensure the integrity and safety of the river’s Glen Canyon and Hoover dam operations from 2024-2026, after current operating guidelines expire.

just kidding! more meetings!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I'm the dude just casually finishing my lunchtime back 9 while a plume of toxic smoke hovers overhead

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

hahahahaha my brain is on fire now

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldoT2mHubGE

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

AceClown posted:

I'm the dude just casually finishing my lunchtime back 9 while a plume of toxic smoke hovers overhead

literally GWB “Now watch this drive” lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AceClown posted:

im watching that drive. Nice

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
From the doomsday econ thread.

A close up of the recent train derail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqxFJccvMU8

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/RochexRB27/status/1645919607625064451?s=20

arial shot of the fire :piss:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
infinite alarm fire

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/Natalie247Now/status/1645949663197949953

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I wasn't quite prepared for how stupid that video was going to be

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Just a Moron posted:

I wasn't quite prepared for how stupid that video was going to be

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/822504053057929218

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

500 good dogs posted:

"it poses no health or safety risks being released in this manner" rofl

Freon is only immediately dangerous as a compressed non-oxygen gas. It can asphyxiate in confined spaces, or cause frostbite burns. The reason it was used all over is because it's pretty non reactive in normal use. It won't create a toxic cancer pit, dead zone, or death cloud.

But oops, it turbo fucks the ozone layer. So we actually stopped using it. That's why fishing boats carry around 10 tons of the poo poo.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

This was really interesting, I'm sorry you got sandwiched between Bitcoin farms and doom clouds. It's fascinating to see the federal response in regards to California vs. The Six.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

my yard has been chosen by a marsh frog

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

wow didn't even give us pictures smh

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
Ice sheets can collapse at 600 meters a day, far faster than feared, study finds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plSMbst7iJU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

jetz0r posted:

Freon is only immediately dangerous as a compressed non-oxygen gas. It can asphyxiate in confined spaces, or cause frostbite burns. The reason it was used all over is because it's pretty non reactive in normal use. It won't create a toxic cancer pit, dead zone, or death cloud.

But oops, it turbo fucks the ozone layer. So we actually stopped using it. That's why fishing boats carry around 10 tons of the poo poo.

well according to some bullshit online there was probably ~23,000 tons in storage about ten years ago, so 10 tons isn't that much yet.

looking up the cost it's like $50 - $140 /lb so apparently that boat just had merely $100,000 - $280,000 worth of it for whatever purpose i guess keeping the fish cool.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

It's pretty amazing how simple mass/energy balances give you a pretty good intuition for the future state of a system.

You banned the use of freon but left 23000 tons in storage? Sorry, simple entropy states it's going to leak and gently caress your ozone at some point in the future.

As has been stated before by other posters, simple free energy balance ensures we'll never put the co2 genie back in the bottle as long as our energy source is majority carbon based.

Same as guns! Throw a bunch of guns into a chaotic system and you inevitably produce gun related deaths.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Dump a bunch of extra energy into your atmosphere from waste heat and green house effect and suddenly your climate is more chaotic and intense! Who could have known?

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

a strange fowl posted:

:nice:
a northern saw-whet owl has moved into the forest beside my place, it doesn't sound like you'd think an owl would. i doubt i could get a picture which sucks because look at these things (not my picture)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i p sure they didn't ban use, merely manufacture

also for unrelated reasons i was listening to lard's 70s rock must die which came out in 2000

lol it's 3 songs, about not letting go of the fuckin 70s, environmental pollution, & busting into the capitol (well, ledbetter pulling a florida man)

in the quarter century since it came out basically nothing fundamentally changed i guess. same old time concepts running things, same shitshows.