Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Cthulu Carl posted:

We've had ones brought in with the battery so swollen the touchpad stats registering phantom inputs or just ceases to work at all until a new battery is put in.

and you just know they were putting up with the phantom inputs for a while before they became unbearable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Well dayshift’s incompetence worked out kinda in my favor today.

See, a cryo pump works by having an inner core at about 9 kelvin, and an outer bit around 100 kelvin. Sometimes hydrogen gets stuck in between the two areas, repeatedly freezing and thawing. This creates a distinct periodic rise and fall in pressure. The correct thing to do is isolate the cryo, warm up the inner core above the freezing point of hydrogen and pump it all out.

Dayshift ignored the graphs and charts and photos everywhere explaining this simple point. Instead of doing it the easy way, they got it so the highest point on the periodic fluctuations were beneath the contractual minimum pressure. This is really really hard, must have taken several people the whole shift, but they did it.

I came in, warmed up the cryo for 90 seconds, and bam, pressure exceeds the minimum by 50%. I’m sure TSMC or Samsung will be glad there machines can go that much lower than the minimum.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

They started running fewer trains a few years ago and made up for it by making the trains they DID run much longer and heavier. This, along with massive layoffs, was done to cut costs and increase profits for the shareholders. Unfortunately, this also meant maintenance and safety precautions were cut and the trains themselves were too big to be handled by an improperly maintained infrastructure. The result (as of a week ago)? The shareholders, who were perfectly okay with all this when it meant record profits, are now suing the railroad for misleading them about the effectiveness of the aforementioned cost-cutting measures.

I'm sorry, I know none of that was humorous or necessarily "dumb poo poo my work does." I'll try to get back on topic.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Just to make sure I understand - are they proposing doing a drill for the purposes of integrating the new crew before they pick up the new crew, so the box gets ticked?

Because that would be Something.

Your understanding of the situation is correct. Gotta do a drill because of new crew but since we’re busy we’ll just do it before the port they join in. Bingo bongo so simple.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

praxis posted:

I'm sorry, I know none of that was humorous or necessarily "dumb poo poo my work does." I'll try to get back on topic.

Oh no no on the contrary, that was hilariously dumb poo poo. A++

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm a bit amused at the angst over PC uptime, because my IT department sends us constant emails begging us to not turn our computers off, especially over the weekends.

Why? Because that's when they push updates and if we're not online we don't get the update pushed, and when the update notification pops up during working hours everyone inevitably slaps the button to delay it to after they go home for work.

Apparently a few years back there were some nasty cases of people staying unpatched way too long because they would turn off at the end of the day, but not the "install updates and shut down" so when they got in the next morning oh hey a reminder to do this update well I don't want to stop working so delay that until 6pm tonight *shuts off PC at 5:00*

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I work in IT and when I tell people to leave their machines on (for update reasons like Cyrano mentioned), they always act super surprised, like they need to power off every night to save the company electricity or something.

I'd disable the ability for standard accounts to shut down machines if I could, ha.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

praxis posted:

They started running fewer trains a few years ago and made up for it by making the trains they DID run much longer and heavier. This, along with massive layoffs, was done to cut costs and increase profits for the shareholders. Unfortunately, this also meant maintenance and safety precautions were cut and the trains themselves were too big to be handled by an improperly maintained infrastructure. The result (as of a week ago)? The shareholders, who were perfectly okay with all this when it meant record profits, are now suing the railroad for misleading them about the effectiveness of the aforementioned cost-cutting measures.

Don't worry about the thread derailing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

They just set up a soft serve machine in the cafeteria. I guess that's dumb poo poo my work does because they're still flailing trying to think of always to get people back into the office and this is clearly just one of those attempts.

But maybe I also wanted to say I got free ice cream at 9 AM.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cthulu Carl posted:

They just set up a soft serve machine in the cafeteria. I guess that's dumb poo poo my work does because they're still flailing trying to think of always to get people back into the office and this is clearly just one of those attempts.

But maybe I also wanted to say I got free ice cream at 9 AM.

I remember back when my last job had a soft serve machine - the food services folks hated it because it took forever to clean.

When we moved campuses, it did not come along for the move.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Coco13 posted:

Well I just didn't want to get all serious and go off on a HEYWAITAMINNIT!!

Oh you.....

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blue Moonlight posted:

I remember back when my last job had a soft serve machine - the food services folks hated it because it took forever to clean.

This is also the reason getting soft serve at McDonalds is a crap shoot.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is also the reason getting soft serve at McDonalds is a crap shoot.

Part of the reason. The other part's in this insane Wired article titled 'They Hacked McDonald’s Ice Cream Machines—and Started a Cold War'

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Ruffian Price posted:

and you just know they were putting up with the phantom inputs for a while before they became unbearable

Even better when the trackpad & buttons literally pop out/physically disconnect but they don't report it because "my USB keyboard & mouse are fine"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Blue Moonlight posted:

Yeah, we're placing bets on how long it'll last.

Also how long until the dude on our team who's been like a kid waiting for Christmas in how antsy he's been for this machine to show tries to wheeze the juice.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Even better when the trackpad & buttons literally pop out/physically disconnect but they don't report it because "my USB keyboard & mouse are fine"

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I've been told to run some tests on some equipment. The equipment doesn't have the right software, it's production release and i need a beta version, so I told the vendor to get it updated. It's taking too long to get it updated, so I was told to use another piece of equipment instead. I ask the vendor to update the other piece of equipment. They say they'll do it after the first one gets updated. Just got word that we need to hurry up with the 2nd piece of equipment, because we're about to sell it to a customer.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Salami Surgeon posted:

I've been told to run some tests on some equipment. The equipment doesn't have the right software, it's production release and i need a beta version, so I told the vendor to get it updated. It's taking too long to get it updated, so I was told to use another piece of equipment instead. I ask the vendor to update the other piece of equipment. They say they'll do it after the first one gets updated. Just got word that we need to hurry up with the 2nd piece of equipment, because we're about to sell it to a customer.

Sounds like you need a third piece of equipment that needs to be updated - posthaste!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

This all reminds me of my litigation support days, when the same IT guy that wouldn't let me requisition new hard drives for case data sent a company-wide nastygram about computer uptimes and people not shutting down their PCs, and mine were half of the ones listed. But they were all processing 80-100K page PDFs into OCR at the time! If you want me to shut them down you'll just have to tell the attorneys that they'll either have to spend a ton more money with an ediscovery firm or wait six more months for their case data. Have fun with that!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Sounds like you need a third piece of equipment that needs to be updated - posthaste!

Oh, don't worry. Before all this, we had some prototype equipment to do the testing on. But the vendor was too busy to update that, so that's when we switched to the production level units. Another vendor is coming in this week to install their test system on the equipment, and that's why we need the beta software.

But we've decided to hand the prototype to this vendor to do bench testing. So it needs to be updated to beta software anyway.

The prototype was a preproduction sample to verify the new update process. Which we are not going to perform and instead just give it away.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Salami Surgeon posted:

Just got word that we need to hurry up with the 2nd piece of equipment, because we're about to sell it to a customer.

Barudak! :argh:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I’m 8 hours in at work tonight and I have done exactly 0 real work due to taking a hot dropped harassment class and now grinding through a bunch of mandatory paperwork due to a little forklift oopsie.

Whatever, still on the clock even if I am sitting in an ER.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

tactlessbastard posted:

I’m 8 hours in at work tonight and I have done exactly 0 real work due to taking a hot dropped harassment class and now grinding through a bunch of mandatory paperwork due to a little forklift oopsie.

Whatever, still on the clock even if I am sitting in an ER.

I feel you skipped over a few details here

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Outrail posted:

I feel you skipped over a few details here

The post has task duration, status, and milestones. It's a perfectly fine schedule update :confused:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

praxis posted:

In an attempt to cut down on the number of derailments the company has issued a slew of new directives regarding train length, weight, and placement of certain types of cars. They've made so many changes that now the simple act of picking up extra cars can become almost impossible because you'd be violating one or the other of these new regulations. And no one in leadership wants to be the one to tell you you're okay to make said pick up for fear of overlooking some new rule and accidentally making your train illegal.

I don't know, but did they try increasing the mainte-

praxis posted:

... Yep. Please do continue posting.

Coco13 posted:

:frogout:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

hot dropped harassment class

a little forklift oopsie.

sitting in an ER.

Is it Tuesday already?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
The union of my industry has voted to take industrial action. My colleague (who is not a member) said to me she will "work from home that day so as not to cross the picket line"

That's not what that means, that's not what any of that means :crossarms:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Chewbecca posted:

The union of my industry has voted to take industrial action. My colleague (who is not a member) said to me she will "work from home that day so as not to cross the picket line"

That's not what that means, that's not what any of that means :crossarms:

I really hope she's being funny or extremely ignorant.

Or she's a scab

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Outrail posted:

I really hope she's being funny or extremely ignorant.

Or she's a scab

Let me put it this way, she's not a comedian and she is old enough to know better

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I started a new job the Monday before last, and holy poo poo. :stare: I have never seen a less organized company in my life. There's documentation across Notion, Google Docs, and Clickup, several JIRA projects with no tickets associated with them, a readme on Github with horrifically out-of-date setup instructions, etc. I also saw a JIRA project that had one category labeled (for the sake of confidentiality) Category A that had 13 issues, one labeled Category B that had 7, and one labeled "Everything Else" that had 563. Not a typo.

Trying to find, gather, and parse this information as someone who has been with the company for one week has been less than pleasant. I feel like I'm trying to translate the Bible from Lithuanian to English using printouts of old Wikipedia pages. :psypop:

edit:

RocketMermaid posted:

Is it Tuesday already?

It ONLY Tuesday.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 11, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

Let me put it this way, she's not a comedian and she is old enough to know better

Lock her account.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I was in a car being driven by one of my leads today when he told me that Magic Johnson was given HIV as part of a vaccine experiment carried out by Anthony Fauci. Classic example of a double bind!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

YeahTubaMike posted:

I started a new job the Monday before last, and holy poo poo. :stare: I have never seen a less organized company in my life. There's documentation across Notion, Google Docs, and Clickup, several JIRA projects with no tickets associated with them, a readme on Github with horrifically out-of-date setup instructions, etc. I also saw a JIRA project that had one category labeled (for the sake of confidentiality) Category A that had 13 issues, one labeled Category B that had 7, and one labeled "Everything Else" that had 563. Not a typo.

Trying to find, gather, and parse this information as someone who has been with the company for one week has been less than pleasant. I feel like I'm trying to translate the Bible from Lithuanian to English using printouts of old Wikipedia pages. :psypop:

edit:

It ONLY Tuesday.

:(:hf::( Sup, huge disorganized wasteful shithole project joiner. Hope it goes better for you than it did for me.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Magnetic North posted:

:(:hf::( Sup, huge disorganized wasteful shithole project joiner. Hope it goes better for you than it did for me.

:same:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

YeahTubaMike posted:

I started a new job the Monday before last, and holy poo poo. :stare: I have never seen a less organized company in my life.

Did I hire you?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm on birth leave and my newborn is way less frustrating and bullshit than my job.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have never seen a less organized company in my life. There's documentation

It can get worse

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Salami Surgeon posted:

It can get worse

Honestly, I don't know if bad documentation or no documentation is worse.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I choose to believe the last three posts are all part of one reply chain, regardless of reality or evidence.

edit:

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I'm on birth leave and my newborn is way less frustrating and bullshit than my job.

Salami Surgeon posted:

It can get worse

RocketMermaid posted:

Honestly, I don't know if bad documentation or no documentation is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Salami Surgeon posted:

It can get worse

Good words to keep close to your heart. No matter how bad or dumb you think something is, there is always a bigger idiot or whatever.