Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

obviously it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

it is if nothing else funny that a team with Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving on the roster is still tanking somehow

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

maybe… kyrie will work for us!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

loquacius posted:

it is if nothing else funny that a team with Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving on the roster is still tanking somehow

if those are your best players you 100% should be tanking to get an opportunity to draft a valuable player

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

when do we find out who won mvp

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it was embiid

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

it was embiid

my great work is done

I can rest

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
embiid's mvp is as fraudulent as malone's, due to jordankic fatigue

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

fart simpson posted:

maybe… kyrie will work for us!

It really is funny how since he left the Cavs he has consistently been on teams that are somehow worse than the sum of their parts.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 11, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
patbev's contributions to a basketball team are far beyond the ability of modern math to quantify

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mvp should be about content

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

loquacius posted:

kyrie is good but kyrie and whatever second string guy replaced dorian is probably less valuable in total than the 2 starters dallas traded to get him

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

my great work is done

I can rest

Jokic's advanced stats suffered a lot due to the Nuggets securing the top seed and coasting to the end of the season and Embiid ended up on the top of the board for some metrics. That was enough to swing the vote.

Although I think Embiid probably deserves it!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

FYI, Jokic's advanced stats suffered a lot due to the Nuggets securing the top seed and coasting to the end of the season and Embiid ended up on the top of the board for some metrics. That was enough to swing the vote.

Although I think Embiid probably deserves it!

this is like walking through the completed cistine chapel with michaelangelo and pointing out some minor flaws

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

this jokic mf going to win a ring or something? kind of weird to have a mvp without rings

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this jokic mf going to win a ring or something? kind of weird to have a mvp without rings

what's the most recent mvp to win a championship before they won mvp

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kingcobweb posted:

what's the most recent mvp to win a championship before they won mvp

steph won mvp a few months before his first championship. duncan otherwise, i think. Heck, Duncan got finals MVP that rookie year

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

steph won mvp a few months before his first championship. duncan otherwise, i think. Heck, Duncan got finals MVP that rookie year

i looked it up and the most recent one was kobe, duncan before him

nearly every mvp wins it before they get ~rings~

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I don’t think jokic will win a ring. I like watching him play though. Joel embiid should be mvp this year imo. the rockets should get wemby.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the sixers aren't winning the title but embiid finally getting mvp and a second consecutive scoring title is somewhat ok consolation since we can at least appreciate his greatness

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the sixers can beat Boston. that means to win the championship they just have to beat Milwaukee

that would be hard but it’s not a 0% chance

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sacramento where you at

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

since morey remade the '18 rockets, i have wanted all year for them to lose to the Warriors. long shot but still possible

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

let’s not forget the Philly team loses the finals jinx from this season.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

3 championship losses in 100 days.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Embiid getting an MVP will be nice so he can have some record of his success before his knees turn into BBQ chicken.

Jokic will play for 20 seasons and never suffer a major injury.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

Jokic will play for 20 seasons and never suffer a major injury.

He simply chooses not to jump and so far it's been working out for him.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I am new to basketball, what is this saying?

I ask as the first match I watched had Pat Bev playing and I really liked him but his stats look poo poo.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

notaspy posted:

I ask as the first match I watched had Pat Bev playing and I really liked him but his stats look poo poo.

Westbrook said the 'he trick ya' line about patbev's defense and someone made an advanced stat based on it

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I also don't know what any of the numbers there mean is a higher number good or bad

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
it's in percentile. so being in the 99th percentile is good and being in the 1st percentile is bad. so it takes a bunch of different stats and adds the percentiles together, which is funny if analytically questionable. gordon, for example, hardly ever contests shots relative to other players.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I also don't know what any of the numbers there mean is a higher number good or bad

High is good. 99th percentile means you're in the top 1%, 50th percentile means average, something like 5th percentile means you're among the very worst in the league. So you can see for example that Pat Bev is one of the best players in the league at drawing charges but pretty bad at some other defensive metrics, which checks out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

best defensive player I’ve seen this year is Brooke Lopez by a mile

the young kid in Cleveland is good too

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

best defensive player I’ve seen this year is Brooke Lopez by a mile

the young kid in Cleveland is good too

I think I’d vote Brook for DPOY as well but it’s worth mentioning he gets to play next to Jrue and Giannis

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

New needle just dropped.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-new-live-in-game-win-probabilities-are-here-for-the-nba-playoffs/

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

and people say c-spam shouldn't have an NBA thread

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
God I hate Jimmy Butler. If he somehow stayed on the sixers and they managed to get him, Embiid, and Harden my sheer hatred of that team could be used as a municipal power source.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

notaspy posted:

Kinda breaking down each:

Charges - One aspect of good defense is drawing charge calls. That is, when the offensive player is driving to the basket, getting in front of them and outside of the restricted area and getting your feet set in time to establish position, and thus forcing a turnover.

Contested shots - Basically staying close to the guy you're defending and when they go up for a shot, being close enough to "contest" it. I dunno the specific rules on spacing but it more or less means being close enough to meaningfully affect the shooter. Players that contest a low percentage tend to be lazy on "closing out". That is, as the offense is working to generate an open look they'll often get the ball to someone who is at least temporarily open. Good defenders will "close out" on this open player and contest the shot by getting a hand up to block or just in the shooter's face, lazy players will not spend the energy to do it and let the shooter take an open shot instead.

Deflections - When the defender gets a hand on an incoming pass and keeps it from going to the intended recipient. This can lead to a steal, but not always. However, there's a lot of players who have good steal numbers but aren't good defenders because they gamble on getting a steal by going all out for it. If it works, it often leads to a fast break but if they miss, they're badly out of position and often that results in the entire defense breaking down and allowing an easy score.

Better defenders will not overcommit but rather will constantly be sticking their hands into passing lanes and deflecting the ball. Even if it doesn't lead to a steal, it can stop the possession cold if it is tipped out of bounds, making the offense restart the possession but with less time on the shot clock. At minimum, it makes the offense scramble to recover the ball which bleeds shot clock time and then makes them reset on the fly, all of which lead to more bad shots.

Defensive box out: When a shot goes up, a fundamental defensive principle is to immediately box out the player you are defending, which means put your body between them and the basket and get your hands out so that when the rebound comes down, the only way they can get it is by going over the top of you, which is a foul. It requires extra effort, so a lot of players will not bother and just try to jump up for the rebound. Because basketballs carom in unpredictable ways, even if you don't get the rebound, if you blocked out, it maximizes the chances one of your teammates will. If you don't box out, you might not be personally hurting your rebound numbers but you are definitely hurting your team's rebounding numbers.

Defensive loose balls: After a deflection or a bad pass or a fumble by the ball handler, the ultimate hustle play is going for the loose ball. Basically no one is in control of the ball, so it is often recovered by the guy willing to literally dive to the floor to get it. Not going after the loose ball, even if you don't dive, is the ultimate lack of effort play because rather than spending energy to potentially get a turnover, they allow the offense to reset and continue the possession.

Now, the issue with any or all of these is that on any individual play, there's usually a good reason a lazy player can point to for why they didn't do the hustle play so even on a game to game basis it can be surprisingly hard to detect guys that don't hustle, so those percentages try to track the guys who do the little defensive things that help a team be successful that aren't grabbing a rebound or getting a steal or blocking a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

notaspy posted:

bro dont pay attention to any of that

you just gotta know 1 stat: if they got that dog in em