Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Outrail posted:

Did I hire you?

I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if my boss turned out to be a goon. Part of why I waited so long to post about this. :sweatdrop:

RocketMermaid posted:

Honestly, I don't know if bad documentation or no documentation is worse.

drat, quite a thing to contemplate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Raising a baby is one ongoing scope creep I tell ya

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm putting my baby on a PIP. She's not learning the ropes fast enough!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Bad documentation is worse and boy does my company have a lot of it

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

ben shapino posted:

best avatar/post combo

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

ben shapino posted:

Engineers are not technical writers.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

Engineers are not technical writers.

Technical writers are also not engineers.
I've had this conversation so many times with engineers. If the technical writer is getting it wrong, it's because you are explaining it wrong. If they can't understand you, it's your fault.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Salami Surgeon posted:

If the technical writer is getting it wrong, it's because you are explaining it wrong. If they can't understand you, it's your fault.

My theory is that engineers are used to understanding things, to being smart enough to get by. They don't remember what it's like to not know things, so they don't know how to communicate to someone who doesn't know the thing.

As an engineer, I have never had that problem because I am a huge loving dumbass.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
As an engineer, you can & should be primarily responsible for writing a loving README.md so that other people can pull, set up and run the code without some secret knowledge only you have.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

My theory is that engineers are used to understanding things, to being smart enough to get by. They don't remember what it's like to not know things, so they don't know how to communicate to someone who doesn't know the thing.

As an engineer, I have never had that problem because I am a huge loving dumbass.

Anecdotal but in machining the better you get at it the harder it is to explain to newbies. The best I've found so far is to have a lot of different people explain the same thing. And then revisit that topic over and over as they learn it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Engineers are idiot savants who lucked into finding the one single thing they're good at.

1500 years ago they'd either be burnt as witches or starve to death while trying to improve bean plants with a spoon.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
My union steward is a boomer who has a very interesting take on worker's rights. Namely shut the gently caress up and work harder. All overtime is mandatory. Whatever the boss says goes. No we don't need to update our expired union contract, the terms are fine as is! :rolleyes:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

Engineers are idiot savants who lucked into finding the one single thing they're good at.

1500 years ago they'd either be burnt as witches or starve to death while trying to improve bean plants with a spoon.

The man of the house here was a geospacial engineer and project manager for almost his entire working life. Worked for a premier company and did very well for himself. He's an excellent manager of people's time and talent.

Equal parts:

-"Tom. You missed a button this morning!"

"Whoops."

-"Tom. How many times are you going to scrape the bumper on the end of the driveway?"

"As many times as it takes."

-"Tom. Did you take your meds according to the color coded schedule you made for yourself using drafting tools?"

"I did work very hard on that. I should stick to it."

And:

-"Tom. Do you remember the old junkyard in this part of town?"

"Yeah. Four miles down Pratt, left at the firehouse, after four blocks turn right when you see the yellow house with red doors, then right down the hidden driveway between the barbershop and vegetable market. Honk and Sam will open the gate. Closed down in 2008."

-"Tom. Wanna play pool?"

*Wipes the table for three rounds of continuous pool until I get a shot in*

-"Tom. On Tuesday we have 12 hours of work to do and 8 hours in which to do it. Help me out here."

"I'll get my note book. Now let me ask you a few questions..."

Give the man something big that he can make a plan for and it's off to the races. Day to day poo poo is so incredibly boring for him that it never gets done.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I was treated like garbage by four separate people today at my job. Condescending, denanding, rude, the whole nine

I am a soft target cos I am too nice, but still! In all of my years of work I have never been treated as consistently badly as I am here lol

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

madeintaipei posted:

Give the man something big that he can make a plan for and it's off to the races. Day to day poo poo is so incredibly boring for him that it never gets done.

I'm exactly like that. At the ripe old age of 31 I thought "hey, maybe I should ask a brain doctor about this" and turns out I have what is commonly known as "Hella ADHD". I'm starting meds next month.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I'm exactly like that. At the ripe old age of 31 I thought "hey, maybe I should ask a brain doctor about this" and turns out I have what is commonly known as "Hella ADHD". I'm starting meds next month.

It takes time to figure poo poo out. Good on you for seeking treatment. If you're going on Adderall, good luck finding Adderall.

Chewbecca posted:

I was treated like garbage by four separate people today at my job. Condescending, denanding, rude, the whole nine

I am a soft target cos I am too nice, but still! In all of my years of work I have never been treated as consistently badly as I am here lol

That sucks. Who could abuse Chewbacca?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

YeahTubaMike posted:

I started a new job the Monday before last, and holy poo poo. :stare: I have never seen a less organized company in my life.

On a positive note, the sound of it, there have at least been some (half-assed) attempts at organising things, which hints that at least someone sees value in that sort of thing.

Around here, the idea that project managers should be responsible for scheduling and tracking is only slowly starting to gain traction.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

DeeplyConcerned posted:

That sucks. Who could abuse Chewbacca?

Perhaps the same people who could abuse chewbecca :wookie:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Chewbecca posted:

Sometimes I get the feeling I'm in the same boat and it sucks.

One co-worker insists that he's able to do difficult refactor work perfectly and make literally zero errors always in legacy spaghetti scripts with >1k lines. Subsequently, I must be a dumbass because I cannot. I've tried explaining to him multiple times that perpetual zero mistakes is impossible, but it's like talking to a brick wall.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It takes time to figure poo poo out. Good on you for seeking treatment. If you're going on Adderall, good luck finding Adderall.

I asked my doctor if I could try some ADHD meds coz my brother has the Hella ADHD and he said sure. A few months later I came back and said they were really helpful can I have more and now I get all the amphetamines I want. I don't think it's Adderall tho.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

ben shapino posted:

100% this.

No documentation lets you know you need to figure it out yourself or get help from someone who knows.

Bad documentation wastes your time by confusing the poo poo out of you or giving you bad directions. Now you can't tell if you did it wrong or document gave you the wrong directions.

If you write/document software, you should read and apply the Microsoft Writing Style guide.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Re: bad documentation.

Boss: don't trust the prints, ever.
Me: ok, what drawing has the actual as-built, ground truth?
Boss: blank stare

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Tetrabor posted:

No documentation lets you know you need to figure it out yourself or get help from someone who knows.

No documentation doesn't let you know that there is someone who knows.

I just recently spent 4 months trying to diagnose a system that was apparently working correctly. Or at least no one can tell me that it was working incorrectly.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ben shapino posted:

For standard processes, yeah, bad documentation is a killer. Out of date documentation, a branch of bad documentation, can lead to horrible problems. Our purchasing system was installed in 2016 and the work instructions on how to process all sorts of things have not been updated in that time. Some things were added, others just don't exist anymore and still more are restricted to specific job codes when they used to be available to everyone. The new functions that were added after the initial introduction of the program are way more user friendly and don't really need much documenting. If you aren't updating your instructions and documentation you are asking for people to misappropriate something because they found an edge case or workaround that the initial documents didn't cover and you can create real fuckups where, say, thousands of orders with government contracts simply didn't convey that fact to vendors and now your company is in major trouble with the DoD.

Magnetic North posted:

It's really hard to break down some engineering principles for people who aren't educated or experienced with the relevant industry or area of business. Imagine explaining a spline to someone who works in Excel all day. I've worked on these things enough that I have a basic understanding of some of the principles and concepts and can talk to our engineers without getting lost, but I've seen people with my same job have the light drain from their eyes if we involve engineering in a discussion about source selection or whatnot.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TotalLossBrain posted:

Re: bad documentation.

Boss: don't trust the prints, ever.
Me: ok, what drawing has the actual as-built, ground truth?
Boss: blank stare

Do you work at the same place I do?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My favourite is conflicting bad documentation, each held by a different department, each claimed to be correct, and neither of which turns out to work.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Y'all taking about documentation and policies and procedures and I'm struggling to get things stable enough to have writing it make any sense. Much less find enough time to write documentation that will be immediately obsolete.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
At my current job we have:

- Technical documentation about the software architecture that is outdated and factually wrong and the Dev who built the architecture left.
- No technical documentation of the business logic or the reasoning behind it and my predecessors were all external and left without a handover.
- User guides that are outdated, factually wrong and available in two languages that the author is not fluent in.

I love my job.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I voluntarily write a lot of user guides, SOPs, etc. at my job because our systems are archaic and people like me who have deciphered them are valuable.
Every time I send out a new one, I place it in the shared folder and attach it to an office-wide email. EVERY TIME someone forwards the message back to me, complete with attachment, asking where the doc is.

Also, my boss keeps telling me that I need to pick up more work outside my PD if I want a promotion but everything outside my scope is lawyer-level issues. I think he's secretly telling me to get a new job.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you aren’t locked into a state or federal job you almost always should be looking for a new job. How else do you get a raise?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I'm currently trying to get a remote work exemption because it turns out I cannot function around noise or movement

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

RC Cola posted:

I'm currently trying to get a remote work exemption because it turns out I cannot function around noise or movement

Human being spotted

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Invalid Validation posted:

If you aren’t locked into a state or federal job you almost always should be looking for a new job. How else do you get a raise?
As someone who works at a state job: :lol: what's a raise?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Outrail posted:

I really hope she's being funny or extremely ignorant.

Or she's a scab

If I read correctly she's not a member of a union and she's not replacing union workers so how is that scabbing?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if you cross a picket line

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

As someone who works at a state job: :lol: what's a raise?

That’s why I said locked in. You don’t work for the state to make money.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

COPE 27 posted:

If I read correctly she's not a member of a union and she's not replacing union workers so how is that scabbing?

Because that's what scabbing is.

The picket line isn't just the actual, physical line on the ground. It's still crossing the picket like if you sneak in through the back door.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, you don't have to be a member of the union to be a scab. The classic example of scabs is non-union labor brought in to work during a strike, keeping the business open and breaking the strike.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Outrail posted:

Because that's what scabbing is.

The picket line isn't just the actual, physical line on the ground. It's still crossing the picket like if you sneak in through the back door.

A previous place I worked as an engineer in operations had a contract negotiation that was taking a little longer than usual, so they were going through strike prep for management level employees. Since this was an electric utility, some function of it must go on, even if the physical union is on strike.

My strike prep was to learn more about the dispatcher role. If the strike happened, I was going to be locked into the dispatch center until a legal injunction could be filed to allow management to cross the picket line. I wasn’t particularly looking forward to that.

Luckily with a couple weeks to go before the contract deadline, a new contract was signed, and all the prep was quickly dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Today yours truly has to improvise a 2e-8 Torr vacuum chamber lid from random metal I find in a cleanroom.

You see, we have a particularly leaky chamber, so we’ve deconstructed it and are building it back vertically, blanking off the top and baking it out, verifying at each step that it passes leak up.

The problem is, each vertical segment, by design, only fits into the next segment. So now I’m running around with a tape measure improvised from pneumatic tubing trying to find a flat bit of metal that covers the hole.

:shepicide: