Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A Crown Victoria can't even fit a drat mountain bike inside, even if you pull the front wheel (you could probably fit it if you pulled both wheels). I was able to fit bikes in all 3 of my Accords (88 LXi sedan, 88 DX coupe, 01 LX sedan), both Civics (95 and 96, both EX coupes), even my Integra (91 3 door) - all of those except for the 01 Accord are solidly in the compact car class. The Saturns could swallow half an apartment thanks to the fold flat/tucks up under the dash passenger seat and quad coupe doors, by far the most useful cars I've owned for moving stuff around. The Vic was by far the most useless car I've owned for actually moving anything, despite being the largest CAR I've owned (my first vehicle was an F-150 long bed tho).

A 30" CRT TV fit... just barely... in the front seat of the Vic, it was right up against the passenger door and my seat belt buckle. Can't go in the back, drat rear doors don't open wide enough. You'd think they'd open wider given the size of the car, but the Lexry is more useful for hauling stuff even without having a fold down back seat (as long as I put something over the perforated leather, that poo poo is too drat easy to damage).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My Golf class Korean shitbox will swallow my fender equipped e-MTB with a front seat passenger (no legroom left though). Long light stuff or the odd sheet of plywood go on the roof rack which admittedly is a bit fiddly to put on or take off on this particular car. While I mostly use it for a bike rack I can also legally pull a 1200kg gross weight surge brake trailer on the ball hitch. Trailers are available for loan at the lumber yards or I rent one for a few hours at the gas station for :20bux: when I need to haul something big/heavy that isn't construction material I just bought.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I used to fit a 6x10 bass cab, separate head, and two basses in a Cavalier coup. Things with hatchbacks are just easy mode.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Coupes in general rule just because you have two giant rear end doors instead of four tiny doors, and they almost always have a fold down back seat (though they can be a pain if the passenger seat doesn't fold far enough). Though the Saturns were easier than hatchbacks, since the front passenger seat folded flat and tuck up under the dash (after removing the head rest). Even without the half rear doors, you could just shove anything in an Ion quad coupe or a late model SC2 with the 3rd door.

I really don't get why Toyota didn't give this car a fold down back seat - my mother's Avalon was the same way, there's just a tiny "ski pass through" (as they call it) behind the rear armrest. They did fold down rear seats on the Corolla of the same era, why not on the XV40 platform? :mad:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I've seen many "upscale" sedans with extra chassis bracing and sound deadening behind the rear seats that "lesser" models do without, preventing the more expensive model from having folding rear seats.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:doh:

I didn't even think about that. You're right, the Camry version of my car does have fold down rear seats. I didn't even bother looking it up before bitching, just assumed based on my experience with other family member vehicles. I'm gonna go down to the garage now and see if the releases are there for folding down, but I don't think they are.

expected edit: nope. I would have gone for a Camry over the Lexus (2008 ES 350) had I known the Camry had fold down seats. This generation is the same chassis and drivetrain as a V6 Camry anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 11, 2023

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
My father complained for years that wanted a ute but when finally got rid of his 75 volvo wagon and got a hilux he changed his mind. You could shove so much stuff into the back of that volvo and not have to worry about tying it down or covering it and anything too long could go on the roof which was about the same height as a modern truck bed. The only trouble we had with the volvo was that pretty much everything besides the motor had plain worn out at least twice and working spares were getting very hard to find.

So I know this isn't really the thread for it but I just wanted to drop a little concept that's been rattling around in my head and I don't know where else to put it.

The L bed, one backseat for your coat and lunchbox plus a bed that can carry long things like lumber

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

coldpudding posted:

So I know this isn't really the thread for it but I just wanted to drop a little concept that's been rattling around in my head and I don't know where else to put it.

The L bed, one backseat for your coat and lunchbox plus a bed that can carry long things like lumber

Cursed. I love it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

meltie posted:

Cursed. I love it.

Blursed

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I'd hate to be the guy who gets asked to convert that to Right hand driving

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

coldpudding posted:

My father complained for years that wanted a ute but when finally got rid of his 75 volvo wagon and got a hilux he changed his mind. You could shove so much stuff into the back of that volvo and not have to worry about tying it down or covering it and anything too long could go on the roof which was about the same height as a modern truck bed. The only trouble we had with the volvo was that pretty much everything besides the motor had plain worn out at least twice and working spares were getting very hard to find.

Wide angle camera on the right side and a viewscreen that slides up over the right side window so you can still see while hauling 4x8 sheets

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

coldpudding posted:

it's great because it removes even more function from the truck where people actually use it, and puts more function where truck drivers don't use it. which is sort of what the whole point of buying a truck is for most people.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

For a moment I had to wonder if I'd rediscovered some long, long lost LSD.

We have a barebones wagon (1st gen Toyota Matrix, only options are AC and floor mats) that can haul a shocking amount of stuff... when you can get the drat tailgate to open. I wound up removing the panel on the inside so I can open the window, reach in, and unlock it by hand (both keys are too worn out to do much except work the driver's door and ignition, but one will still pop the window on the tailgate).

My 03 Subaru Outback was a Good Wagon that I really miss (aside from the glacially slow acceleration, and violent shaking under WOT, and dripping coolant from between the heads and block, and horrible mileage, and...). Sure, it sat on the bump stops if I even looked at the back seat (and I'm not even that fat by goon standards - less than 200 lbs!), but between the two of them, we were able to move most of what we owned a few years ago. Hired a moving company for the extra big/heavy poo poo (mainly my dresser and bed), they helped unload the cars too.

I've shoved a Lay-Z-Boy in the back of the Matrix before, along with multiple boxes. Outback hauled a full size fridge easily. Wagons rule, trucks drool. :colbert:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 11, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I've seen many "upscale" sedans with extra chassis bracing and sound deadening behind the rear seats that "lesser" models do without, preventing the more expensive model from having folding rear seats.
Sometimes this applied to the cheap ones as well. I used to have an early '00s BMW 325i that was pretty much a base model other than the sunroof and CD player. Folding rear seats were optional on the sedans and mine didn't have that option, so there was a solid metal plate behind the seat cushion. According to the forums the non-folding sedan was the stiffest variant of the 3 series for that generation other than the M3 coupe, as far as torsional rigidity goes.

coldpudding posted:

It's like one of these: https://fontainemodification.com/work-trucks/cab-modifications/narrow-cab/
meets one of these: https://yardtruck.com/kalmar-ottawa-t2-4x2-off-road-yard-truck/

IMO Bollinger had the right idea with a midgate and a frunk passthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYXYcObUQiQ&t=10s
Too bad Bollinger seems to have lost their momentum and put these on hold.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

coldpudding posted:

I actually kind of like this. great for hauling ladders, longer lumber, etc. much easier than loading it onto a rack and strapping it down. You still have the back seat if you need a passenger, etc.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

“A KEI TRUCK IS ALL YOU NEED!”

I scream into the hellscape that is the American automotive landscape

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

wolrah posted:

Sometimes this applied to the cheap ones as well. I used to have an early '00s BMW 325i that was pretty much a base model other than the sunroof and CD player. Folding rear seats were optional on the sedans and mine didn't have that option, so there was a solid metal plate behind the seat cushion. According to the forums the non-folding sedan was the stiffest variant of the 3 series for that generation other than the M3 coupe, as far as torsional rigidity goes.

It's like one of these: https://fontainemodification.com/work-trucks/cab-modifications/narrow-cab/
meets one of these: https://yardtruck.com/kalmar-ottawa-t2-4x2-off-road-yard-truck/

IMO Bollinger had the right idea with a midgate and a frunk passthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYXYcObUQiQ&t=10s
Too bad Bollinger seems to have lost their momentum and put these on hold.

I believe that RAM EV concept had a midgate and frunk hatch.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero One posted:

I believe that RAM EV concept had a midgate and frunk hatch.
The concept does have both, but the production version as shown on their web site does not seem to have either.

That said, the Silverado EV is really more of an Avalanche EV, it and its Sierra sibling will have a midgate just like the Avalanche, Escalade EXT, and H2 SUT did in the past. They don't have frunk passthroughs though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I scream into the hellscape that is the American automotive landscape

I would gladly own a Kei truck. American trucks are loving stupid.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
My brother and I want to get a Dahatsu Midget 2 to see if we can carry it around in the bed of his F-250, for shits and giggles.

Also, to run errands around town in. Because while we both own full sized pickups, we both also daily drive something more sensible. He has a lifted Prius and I have a Ford Fusion.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I want a Kei truck really really badly. Just not 8 thousand dollars badly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sagebrush posted:

in case you were wondering how they make the discount oil filters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiKbyi9fEmE

Gotta love places where labor is cheaper than machines or replacement items.

`Nemesis posted:

i mean, i read your comments, but what was this person trying to do, for real?

Stuff a basic pickup used to be able to do.
They bought a giant 3/4 ton pickup, and can't actually use it to haul poo poo in the bed.

edit: I, too, would like a Kei pickup, or maybe the slightly larger variants (like 1.6 -2.0L ) that are *still* smaller than an American full-sized pickup.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

kastein posted:

Honestly the Acty is the perfect truck for me. I can haul hay, feed, firewood, trash, recycling, etc. and still get 35+mpg. In PA I don’t have to register or inspect it annually since it’s registered as an antique.

The only negative side is budgeting an extra 15-20 minutes to talk to people who invariably have a dozen questions about it.

Totally worth the $8500 price of entry.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've never paid over 2500 for any vehicle. I generally prefer to buy thousand dollar heaps and get them running and driving for under about 3-4. If I ever get a kei truck I'll likely be posting pics of its original drivetrain in this thread and then repowering it with dual electric motors.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Jesus Christ is that how much they are going for now?

You'd be better off with a cheap 4 cyl Ranger or B2200 or something. And your legs wouldn't disintegrate in an accident either :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

I've never paid over 2500 for any vehicle. I generally prefer to buy thousand dollar heaps and get them running and driving for under about 3-4. If I ever get a kei truck I'll likely be posting pics of its original drivetrain in this thread and then repowering it with dual electric motors.

You could probably do that if you imported one yourself

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Jesus Christ is that how much they are going for now?

You'd be better off with a cheap 4 cyl Ranger or B2200 or something. And your legs wouldn't disintegrate in an accident either :v:

I already have a Comanche that (sorry, ranger people) is way better than a ranger or b2200, I just want a kei truck.

You can import them a lot cheaper yeah but I have no idea on the process. I'll probably just pick up one locally that someone kills and lists just to get rid of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kaker mix can fill you in I bet, he ran that import business for a few years

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

For the amount of money it would have cost me to import one individual truck and then pay the port fees, import taxes, freight to PA, plus document costs and the new tires the dealer put on the truck, it ended up being a wash to buy mine from the dealer, plus much less headache. I literally signed the paperwork and drove away. Two weeks later, reg and title came in the mail.

My time and effort is worth a fair bit to me so the convenience was worth the price.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Imperador do Brasil posted:

challenge accepted.

Good luck trying to squeeze into the drivers seat it's only 12 inches across.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

coldpudding posted:

challenge accepted.

Good luck trying to squeeze into the drivers seat it's only 12 inches across.

If you want a bigger one, ask KMW for a leopard trainer

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The past page or so is why I caved and bought a beater GMT400 Suburban. It'll carry or tow anything I have time to load.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Can you just go to Northrop Grumman or whoever and ask "can I get a Stryker? I have cash"

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Kei trucks own but not for the prices they commend. Steel frame bicycles are cheaper and about as good when a drunk ram driver runs it down.

Godholio posted:

The past page or so is why I caved and bought a beater GMT400 Suburban. It'll carry or tow anything I have time to load.

Had two square body burbans. Those fuckers are bigger than my apartment in berkeley was.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Door Frame posted:

Can you just go to Northrop Grumman or whoever and ask "can I get a Stryker? I have cash"

If that's a serious question, then no you can't. Combat vehicles which are current service are prohibited from sale to civilians. Out of service combat vehicles can sometimes be acquired, but anything newer than an M113 you're probably out of luck. Surplus support vehicles CAN be purchased through govliquidation but you won't get anything really current.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You'll probably be able to buy this MRAP from a Police auction in Germany for cheap soon

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So here's a very regional current event:
(Disclaimer: Sorry for the wall of :words:, read to the end or skip it and just check the end)

Around 50 polish lorry drivers have gone on strike and set up camp at a German Autobahn rest-stop just south of Frankfurt since the 30th of March.
They've gone on strike because their supremely-lovely boss of a polish international logistics company hasn't been paying them for months. The only power they have rests in the tractor units for the lorries, which are company-owned.
They haven't been hindering traffic or causing any other inconvenience since they set up, the cops have even swung by daily to see if everything's IN ORDNUNG.
They've also had support from several union-advocacy groups and the chairman of the German Federation of Trade Unions.

Fast-forward to the morning of Good Friday, April 7th. The owner of the logistics company has apparently enlisted the services of "famous private investigator" Krzysztof Rutkowski (he does actually refer to himself as the most famous polish private investigator in Poland) and his PMC :airquote: security services provider :airquote: "Rutkowski Patrol". Rutkowski himself has a bit of a history with shady "extraordinary international extractions" that he and his company did for clout since they had a deal with a Polish TV show and he may or may not have abused his diplomatic visa in the process.

But take my reporting on Mr. Rutkowski with a grain of salt, so to avoid bias, let's have a look at the man.

Okay, that's not fair, that's just an old Wikipedia pic making him look like a comical villain. Surely, his more recent lifestyle makes him look better.

Okay, this is probably all confirmation bias, let's disregard that the man has had some success and maybe likes expensive cars, gold chains, and pocket-rats.
Surely, the practices of "Rutowski Patrol" are all above board, to the letter of national/international law, and not at all scummy.

Oh, what's that? He loaded up 20 thugs in tactilol gear into several fake-official LEO vehicles (including, but not limited to, a mine-protected APC and a re-branded 90's style US police cruiser), recruited 20 strike-buster truck drivers into vans, crossed the border and drove 4 hours across Germany to beat up the striking truck drivers and have their trucks drive back to Poland?
Well, whoopsiedoodles.

Here's where their entire plan was foiled by a single Polizei squad car already being at the rest-stop when they pulled in:

Instead of driving past them, whooping up on their countrymen somethin' fierce, and getting out of dodge before the two cops would have chosen to interfere with their little PMC convoy (the aftermath would have been funny as hell, because there's nothing like a national police chase to stop a convoy of paramilitary idiots with 15 trucks in tow that needs 4 hours to get back into Poland), they decided to identify themselves as participants of the strike and let the extremely confused cops inventory and photograph their little convoy.

So the cops decide to stall them and give them a full "license-and-registration"-treatment, while - I assume - the other cop was on the radio going "Jah, Günther? Everything just zuper, just ein kleines little issue: I have ein small convoy of 30+ Poles in TAKTISCHE AUSRÜSTUNG und EIN MINENGESCHÜTZTES PANZERFAHRZEUG hier, could you maybe contact Hans-Dieter and have him send, jah, I don't know, EVERYONE? Jah? Das ist gut? Peachy, super-Hugendubel, mein Freund!"

After like 20 minutes, RUTKOWSKI-PATROL-COMMANDER goes "harumph, am I losing the element of surprise here? eh, what are these two cops gonna do, let's go!"
So they drive past them and do a full clown-car dismount from their MPV and several vans and start surrounding the strike.

Behold, the sheer force of imposition displayed by RUTKOWSKI-PATROL-COMMANDER: (not even gonna -timg this chonky-boi)

Extremely confused German Polizist trying to ascertain what the gently caress is going on as he is still under the impression that the very legal polish strike just got some "somewhat shady" polish reinforcements.

Rutkowski-Patrol members warming their hands and contemplating what to do next due to a lack of coordination:

The situation comes to a boil as the first unionbusters attempt to commandeer a lorry to drive it back to Poland:

A brief melee ensues between the drivers and the unionbusters:

At this point, roughly 6 more German cops have arrived on the scene, but seem to share the confusion of the first officers on the scene, thinking they're still facing an internal argument that got violent (because they someone can't separate a group of day-laborers and a bunch of kitted-up goons arriving in armored vehicles in their head), so they initially side with Rutkowski-Patrol against the strike.
Of particular note should be one particular rookie-Polizist that is faced with 30 angry and - supposedly - violent Poles, so he does the one thing that makes sense to him:
DOUBLE-FIST BEAR-MACE

Nothing comes of the confrontation, as the cops have now isolated the drivers from the union-busters, inadvertantly keeping Rutkowski-Patrol from driving off any more trucks (because they managed to commandeer one previously), so the cops are suddenly faced by a very cheerful and applauding group of Poles that are very much non-violent. Head-cop arrives on scene and goes "Uhhhh, who the gently caress are these kitted-up goons over there and why is there an armored personnel carrier with a Polish license plate blocking the street?!?"

The entirety of the state's police force arrive on scene, and box in all of Rutkowski-Patrol by sheer superiority of vehicles and bodies.

Representatives of the German Federation of Trade Unions also arrive - to great applause of the Polish drivers - and they let the cops know who they actually need to arrest.

Stefan Körzell, member-of-the-board of the German Federation of Trade unions letting the press know just how hot he thinks his moostache is, and that he does not intend to POLIIICE it at all.

Rutkowski-Patrol, here seen contained in the arrest-zone, secured by an inescapable barrier of caution-tape:

End of the story:
- 19 members of Rutkowski-Patrol were arrested
- all Rutkowski-Patrol vehicles were secured
- one or two government officials have probably gotten a phone-call and gone "uuuuuuhhh...?"
- the strike continues

If you'd like to get some while the gettin's good, Polish "news channel" PATRIOT24.TV was embedded with Rutkowski's goons and put the whole thing up on YouTube about 12 hours ago, but I'm assuming it'll be taken down before long when either the authorities or Rutkowski Patrol figure out there's a whole lot of juicy evidence in there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEWCY_QKFvY

Well, that's all for German current events, thanks for listening, namasté

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Godholio posted:

This. I'm actually considering getting rid of my '08 Sierra and getting a '00-'06 Suburban/Yukon XL instead. No AFM/DOD in the engine and a much more useful body. And it would more or less be a straight swap money wise.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Incoming horrible failure
https://i.imgur.com/d2scN0o.mp4

edit: reuploaded to imgur

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

It's just an afterburner.