Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

The only way I managed to square the circle was by ending up working for myself. Started cooking up fudge for Christmas presents in 2018 due to having been unemployed for two years due to burnout and had no money for proper gifts, discovered I was good at it and now I have several staff and hit multiple events each weekend.

Luckily one of my special interests happens to be sweets in general and fudge in particular. And weirdly my autistic enthusiasm and earnestness about it all has translated to being a really good salesman face-to-face. Apparently this is ‘cringe’ according to some of the traders at a con I did earlier this year, but even if so I still outsold every one of those fucks by some margin..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Camrath posted:

The only way I managed to square the circle was by ending up working for myself. Started cooking up fudge for Christmas presents in 2018 due to having been unemployed for two years due to burnout and had no money for proper gifts, discovered I was good at it and now I have several staff and hit multiple events each weekend.

Luckily one of my special interests happens to be sweets in general and fudge in particular. And weirdly my autistic enthusiasm and earnestness about it all has translated to being a really good salesman face-to-face. Apparently this is ‘cringe’ according to some of the traders at a con I did earlier this year, but even if so I still outsold every one of those fucks by some margin..

Nothing more cringe than being successful and friendly and likeable!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Stoca Zola posted:

All I ever wanted was to get really good at one thing, and then to do that thing over and over.

Have you considered local warehouse work? Generally there's little client/customer/person facing interaction and you're doing a fairly repetitive task throughout the day. I know of some places that hire people part time for like 20-30 hours a week to supplement their full time warehouse person, that could be a decent gig where you get to focus on a task and don't have to worry about the 37 other responsibilities that are stupidly assigned to one person.

I'm seriously EXTREMELY thankful that I don't mind holding down a full time job/career but I'm also now becoming more aware of all the work I need to do to balance everything in my life, especially my own mental health needs. Luckily I found myself into a low-stress career where my skill set of being an emergency fire fighter (thanks ADHD!) are seen as indispensable the handful of times its needed a year.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sterf posted:

nevermind :)

I was wondering where this post went!!!!

I'm gonna be honest with you, I loving brute forced my socialization in face-to-face settings via alcohol. It's not a good path to do that, I absolutely do not recommend and one thing I am devoting myself to is helping other neurodivergent folks find ways to socialize without having depend on substance use, like alcohol, to do that. So if you ever wanna talk more about that, whether it's in the thread or via PM, let me know!!!

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

thanks for all the replies w/r/t managing tiredness. I exercise daily and do find myself budgetting my cognitive/mental energy throughout the week, but I may need to become more strict on managing this than I have been thus far. some days are better than others, I guess. :)

also, to tie into job chat; I've recently quit my job because I was standing on the precipice of an (autistic) burnout. the common stereotype should lead me to believe I have the most auti-friendly job there is (programmer/web developer), but I still struggle with all the interpersonal aspects and the office culture. I have no clue how others manage a full time job, but I am starting to think I am simply not cut out for it. I thankfully have a partner who makes enough to cover costs for us, so the pressure to find a new job is atleast somewhat limited. I kind of made a deal with myself I'll try and give web development one more go, and if that fails, I'll try a part time job and take up volunteering or something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sterf posted:

nevermind :)
I don't hate you or dislike you or think you failed as a person because I disagreed with your post, I just have strong feelings about capitalism. Have you looked into/heard of RSD? ADHD is a very common comorbidity with autism and RSD and ADHD go hand in hand.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

I was wondering where this post went!!!!

I'm gonna be honest with you, I loving brute forced my socialization in face-to-face settings via alcohol. It's not a good path to do that, I absolutely do not recommend and one thing I am devoting myself to is helping other neurodivergent folks find ways to socialize without having depend on substance use, like alcohol, to do that. So if you ever wanna talk more about that, whether it's in the thread or via PM, let me know!!!

Funny you say that, I certainly abused the hell out of alcohol too at some point, as well als benzo's (not a great combination) and in that period aside from having insane poo poo happen to me I did meet some great people who sadly mostly all moved to other countries by now.
I deleted my post because I had a bit much too drink when I wrote it and even if nothing weird was said the next day I go back to being insecure so I just deleted it :P That and I mentioned how much I got in disability and that seemed a bit strange maybe.

Also, it seems the people I attract in my life are either undiagnosed autists or people with depression problems. And while it is good to be able to try and help people it can be frustrating to keep my own spirits up. I cannot motivate myself to do anything basically.

I have the 'luck' of having no ambition, getting enough money to get by, got a tiny medieval house I rent from my brother, so I should be set. But it feels like I miss happy people in my life, and the internet seems to be eating my soul.

girl dick energy posted:

I don't hate you or dislike you or think you failed as a person because I disagreed with your post, I just have strong feelings about capitalism. Have you looked into/heard of RSD? ADHD is a very common comorbidity with autism and RSD and ADHD go hand in hand.

Oh believe me, I also have very strong feelings about capitalism :) Actually, my one hope right now in meeting likeminded people is trying to do something through the local communist party-group.
I have been thinking about ADHD, and that RSD sounds plausible, but it's very hard here to get any mental help though I should try more.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, finding official help, especially help that's any good, is a serious uphill battle. But even just looking for resources online and researching possible coping strategies that have worked well for other people can bridge the gap between now and when you finally get seen by someone who can help.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Disability chat: I'm on disability for cerebral palsy and it has its drawbacks. (Like you can't be married or common-law for some outdated reason or you'll lose your benefits.) Also in Canada you can only make $16k or less a year in work income. Sometimes disability means poverty because :capitalism:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The entire conservative worldview seems to be predicated on a terror that someone, somewhere, is getting something for free. And it's *not* because their dad owned an emerald mine or whatever.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Violet_Sky posted:

Disability chat: I'm on disability for cerebral palsy and it has its drawbacks. (Like you can't be married or common-law for some outdated reason or you'll lose your benefits.) Also in Canada you can only make $16k or less a year in work income. Sometimes disability means poverty because :capitalism:

Here (Belgium) it was like that too in a sense, but they recently abolished that law affectionately called 'price of love law'. And upped the limit for work income to count for lessening disability allowance to 70k€. So it can change for the better even in a capitalist hellscape as we are living in. Like I said before, I do feel lucky where I am, even the right-wing parties (for now) still find social programs like that pretty untouchable. Probably due to my very left-wing Walloon brothers.
Finding any kind of mental health help is nigh impossible though, on the other side.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I was diagnosed with ADHD in my childhood and again in college. Got my autism diagnosis just under a couple years ago, at the tender age of 41.

I have no problem holding down a job once I get one, but I've extreme difficulty getting through an interview. I've gotten through multiple phone interviews in which I was mainly asked technical questions to determine if I had the necessary skills only to be rejected during the in person interview, in which the interviewers are deciding whether or not they would like to work with me personally. I'm currently working as a substitute teacher. There was no interview. They hire anybody who has the qualifications and passes the background check.

I've only ever gotten two jobs I interviewed for. One was for a company completely desperate to find someone willing to work only 5 hours a week. The other, I was interviewed by my high school friend's mom, who already knew me quite well. In the past, I've been turned down by places like Taco Bell, Blockbuster Video, and Babies R Us, places known for hiring pretty much anybody.

My degree is in physics, with a lot of computer science to supplement. I have some valuable skills. I've had interviewers tell me quite enthusiastically "you should be working here" after taking their skills test, only to be ghosted after the in-person interview. I can't seem to get anywhere near a job that actually utilizes my skills, and have been a glorified babysitter for the last few years. It's not something I want to make a career out of, but I'm in my 40s, so I face ageism as well when I look for technical positions.

I have a constant fear that if I lose my current job, I'll not be able to get a new one, but I live in the United States, and they'll never put me on disability because I've worked before, so I'm clearly capable of work.

I've thought a lot about starting my own business. In my early 20's, a friend and I ran a web design business for a few years, and after college, that same friend and I ran a test engineering business for a while. So I know what it's like to run a business, and I'm confident I could do it, but that friend was the charismatic face of both businesses. He moved to Japan, so another venture with him would be pretty difficult to start. On my own, I always find myself at a loss as to what kind of business I'd like to start.

My current job pays the bills, but it's very stressful not having work over the summer months. Usually by this time of year I've got several thousand dollars saved to get me through the summer, but this year I keep running into unexpected expenses, and haven't been able to save anything. I don't know how I'm going to pay my rent come August and September.

I don't really have a question or a point, just wanted to share my experience and vent about the stress.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Since you mentioned computer science you might want to check out Microsoft. They have had a specific autism hiring program for years focused on people just like you (strong technical skills but do poorly in interviews)
Here's a 2016 article and here's the current page about it on MS's own website

Their list of "upcoming hiring events" has been blank every time I've seen it since covid though so you might end up having to reach out and poke somebody idk. Or just join the webinar.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

skeletronics posted:

I was diagnosed with ADHD in my childhood and again in college. Got my autism diagnosis just under a couple years ago, at the tender age of 41.

I have no problem holding down a job once I get one, but I've extreme difficulty getting through an interview. I've gotten through multiple phone interviews in which I was mainly asked technical questions to determine if I had the necessary skills only to be rejected during the in person interview, in which the interviewers are deciding whether or not they would like to work with me personally. I'm currently working as a substitute teacher. There was no interview. They hire anybody who has the qualifications and passes the background check.

I've only ever gotten two jobs I interviewed for. One was for a company completely desperate to find someone willing to work only 5 hours a week. The other, I was interviewed by my high school friend's mom, who already knew me quite well. In the past, I've been turned down by places like Taco Bell, Blockbuster Video, and Babies R Us, places known for hiring pretty much anybody.

You might actually be over-qualified for those, so they think you'll quit as soon as you find something better.

I find that scripting helped a lot. No idea how job interviews work in your field and where you live, but for me it's always been the same. Introduction, "tell us about your cv", then they ask questions about the details. Those are always the same, focussing on the "weak spots", so I have an answer prepared. In that way, I know how most of the interview will go beforehand and have my answers prepared in advance. I also mask heavily, which likely helps.

Something I bring up in just about every job interview is my anxiety over exams. It's the reason I didn't complete my first attempt at a university degree, and while I got it under control enough to graduate, my grades weren't as good as they could have been. I'll explain this during the inevitable question about why I switched majors and add as an example for how I'm handling it that job interviews are close enough to exams to make me anxious as well. It just occured to me that any possible stiffness in my manners might register as me being nervous to the interviewers. That would work in my favor, since it would explain things that normally register as "off" about me.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Oh, cool. That's encouraging. Hopefully other companies do something similar. Another worry I have is now I've been out of the game so long my skills have atrophied. I've definitely forgotten most of the things I learned in college. I'm confident I can pick it back up again quickly, just gotta buckle down and do it before I try to interview anywhere. A project to work on would help a lot. I've dabbled in game development a few times, but never finished anything. The market is flooded with them, but I think I'll make a simple Vampire Survivors-like game, I'm not trying to sell it, but it seems like something a single person dev can reasonably finish, and my therapist thinks that finishing something would be good for me.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

skeletronics posted:

The market is flooded with them, but I think I'll make a simple Vampire Survivors-like game, I'm not trying to sell it, but it seems like something a single person dev can reasonably finish, and my therapist thinks that finishing something would be good for me.

as a game dev I just gotta say: if you wanna finish something make anything other than a game, game is never finished :lmao:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

skeletronics posted:

Oh, cool. That's encouraging. Hopefully other companies do something similar. Another worry I have is now I've been out of the game so long my skills have atrophied. I've definitely forgotten most of the things I learned in college. I'm confident I can pick it back up again quickly, just gotta buckle down and do it before I try to interview anywhere. A project to work on would help a lot. I've dabbled in game development a few times, but never finished anything. The market is flooded with them, but I think I'll make a simple Vampire Survivors-like game, I'm not trying to sell it, but it seems like something a single person dev can reasonably finish, and my therapist thinks that finishing something would be good for me.

I know Wells Fargo has a neurodiversity program where they hire mostly programmers who fit that category.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Oh yeah, I'm also very anti-capitalist and would very much like to not work for banks, insurance companies, oil companies, etc.

One thing I do like about my current job is that the goal of our whole organization has nothing to do with profit. I have issues with a lot of the 'education' that happens here, but at least I'm not busting my rear end to make some prick who couldn't care less about me even richer. The small businesses I've helped run or worked for have been pretty good about caring about employees, at least.

I have a neurotypical brother who has worked for all three of the kinds of institutions I listed above, including Wells Fargo. He hated every one of those jobs, but for some reason remains convinced that working for big corps is the goal, and he just has to find the "right" one. I don't get it. He worked for a major oil company for a while. They have a policy of firing a fixed percentage of their lowest performing people every year, so each year he had to essentially re-apply for, and defend his position at his job. That sounds like an absolute nightmare.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

skeletronics posted:

Oh yeah, I'm also very anti-capitalist and would very much like to not work for banks, insurance companies, oil companies, etc.

One thing I do like about my current job is that the goal of our whole organization has nothing to do with profit. I have issues with a lot of the 'education' that happens here, but at least I'm not busting my rear end to make some prick who couldn't care less about me even richer. The small businesses I've helped run or worked for have been pretty good about caring about employees, at least.

I have a neurotypical brother who has worked for all three of the kinds of institutions I listed above, including Wells Fargo. He hated every one of those jobs, but for some reason remains convinced that working for big corps is the goal, and he just has to find the "right" one. I don't get it. He worked for a major oil company for a while. They have a policy of firing a fixed percentage of their lowest performing people every year, so each year he had to essentially re-apply for, and defend his position at his job. That sounds like an absolute nightmare.

I mean me too but I like having food and housing. If you're making it without it though that's good.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Around where I live, the majority of employers seeking people with physics degrees are weapon manufacturers/military contractors and I simply will not apply to those. A friend of mine told me that makes me seem kind of entitled/stuck up, but eh, I just couldn't live with myself doing that kind of work. :shrug:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

skeletronics posted:

Around where I live, the majority of employers seeking people with physics degrees are weapon manufacturers/military contractors and I simply will not apply to those. A friend of mine told me that makes me seem kind of entitled/stuck up, but eh, I just couldn't live with myself doing that kind of work. :shrug:

fuuuuuuuck that friend, autistic integrity all the way :hfive:

I would also refuse to work for weapons companies/military contractors

in my area there are lots of fintech companies I could get a job at but I'm also not interested in using my talents to further those companies

of course the evils of capitalism infect all business and there are very few jobs that are purely good so everybody has to draw lines that make sense for themselves and I try not to judge my friends who work for companies I disagree with (I do have my limits though)

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

TIP posted:

autistic integrity all the way :hfive:

Hell yeah, reminds me of a study I read about in which people were asked to choose between options that would benefit everyone, or just themselves. They found that overwhelmingly, Neurotypical people would choose to benefit others when they thought someone else would see their choice, but chose to benefit themselves when they thought no one was looking. Autistic people would choose to benefit the group whether people were watching or not.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

skeletronics posted:

Hell yeah, reminds me of a study I read about in which people were asked to choose between options that would benefit everyone, or just themselves. They found that overwhelmingly, Neurotypical people would choose to benefit others when they thought someone else would see their choice, but chose to benefit themselves when they thought no one was looking. Autistic people would choose to benefit the group whether people were watching or not.

And then the study tried to frame that as a defect in autistic people, as if the objectively correct thing to do were to abandon your supposed moral principles the instant it slightly benefits you and nobody's watching.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Of course they did. I also recently saw an article about a study saying autistic people feel pain more intensely than normies. The article said "this goes against the prevailing belief that autistics are indifferent to pain"

Yeah, the population known for complaining that their clothes hurt and things like that were thought to be indifferent to pain.

loving doctors.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If you don’t show it on your face correctly you must not be feeling it, right? It’s not like they asked anyone what it actually felt like.

I’m with you on the employment front skeletronics, I have an engineering and IT background and I could easily get work with the Army but I refuse. And I’m mid forties too so any of the nice warehouse type jobs like bagmonkey suggested get filled by younger, less female, less qualified people with forklift licenses. I’ve thought about learning to code and making something but a) market is flooded by coders too b) it’s increasingly hard the older I get to make myself focus on something I’m not super enthusiastic about. I’m pushing myself to make music because that’s something that no one can take away from me and updates will never make obsolete, I don’t know if I will ever make money with it but it is extremely beneficial to balance creation and consumption. If you making games helps satisfy that urge to create, I would say go for it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Stoca Zola posted:

I’m pushing myself to make music because that’s something that no one can take away from me and updates will never make obsolete, I don’t know if I will ever make money with it but it is extremely beneficial to balance creation and consumption. If making games helps satisfy that urge to create, I would say go for it.

at this point in the post I suddenly realized that I'm holding my guitar and meant to open up something to play but instead went on the forums and forgot :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i have literally never in my life heard about an autistic person complaining that their clothes hurt
uncomfortable / sensory issues? sure. painful? never seen anyone mention it

not to say that your pain isn't valid or w/e but autistic people certainly aren't "known for" that

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just cut out most/all caffeine for the last week and my anxiety levels have gone down notably.

Not going to continue completely cutting it out, but will treat it more like alcohol and an occasional treat versus a daily morning ritual.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I work in financial services/fintech and that's mostly because all of the other job offers I got when my last job tried to full time force me back in office (Summer of 2020!) had lovely health benefits and this one had exceptional, top-of-the-line benefits. Like my psych eval was fully covered, $30ish co-pay. Tele-therapy is $5 and in office is $10 up to twice a week. Dental and vision benefits are baller. I couldn't pass it up being that I live in America. Pay is alright but I'm saving like $10k+ a year on health expenses.

However, I do feel guilty about working for a company that is, by it's very nature, predatory and to "atone for that sin" so to speak, I try to donate about 10% of every paycheck, I mentor other NDs who are struggling to get into IT or find their footing (I ran a service desk for 4 years so I know the lay of the land) and am trying to be a more vocal voice about making sure ND voices are heard and celebrated in our workplace. Luckily my company is extremely supportive of anyone doing mental health work and has support groups within the company and is quick to offer (generally) useful accommodations. However, the way I see it, unless we continue pressing them to keep it up, we might lose that, so I will use my voice to support that

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
End of the day though, I don't think "a job" is the right thing for everybody, given the system's current state. For a lot of people, it's better to find a unique way to get by instead of jumping into the system, given that the entire intent of the system is to chew you up and spit you out.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I have a job interview tomorrow and I am a wreck. It is for a local, non-profit organisation as a coordinator. I have work/volunteer experience plus I have been part of the neighbourhood that it is based on my whole life. I am more than qualified for this job even if it will be a bit of a learning curve in the long run.

I do badly with job interviews in general, my brain just shuts down. I am going to try to practice some questions they might ask but I know tomorrow my brain will shut down and be like "BUT YOU SAW MY RESUME. I AM OVER QUALIFIED FOR THIS JOB." Then I will just end up repeating the same answers the same way. Though the practising does help as I had an interview a few weeks ago, and one of the generic questions I practised did come up, though admittedly I didn't do as well answer it in real time as during my practice runs, however, it made a positive difference.

I think my biggest stress is I feel like I REALLY need to prove myself in this interview since I present as a white-cis female on the outside.
They are huge on diversity and are highly encouraging that we disclose our identities throughout the job application process. I have a lot of identities and some that even the diversity checklists haven't even thought of. (Like being raised by a blood-related family who was not my birth parents).

I know they are going to ask how I have a connection with the community and if I identify with any minority groups during this interview. I am open to admitting one or two aspects of my life. However, I am not sure how I go about these questions during the interview while maintaining my privacy. I learned very quickly in life that once people learn I am ND or I grew up in an unconventional family, I suddenly do not become DrNewton but become "that autistic woman" or "the one whose parents didn't love them". It has also been used to weaponize against me personally and professionally in the past.

How do I go about this, without also coming off as a right-wing nut case? I admire people who feel safe to be open about who they are. I am all for respecting pronouns, affirming one's identity, and learning from other povs. I just don't want to share myself entirely since it still isn't safe. I am not doing this out of ideology, I am doing this for survival reasons.

Also, I am 100% doxxing myself. So... I REALLY REALLY summarized this as much as possible and barely touched the tip of the iceberg. Good luck me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My least favourite memory of a job interview was when they were asking about how i'd handle a customer coming in and complaining, and I answered as I normally would about how I got conflict resolution training in my last job, I'd get a notepad, write it down, make it clear to the customer I'm listening and this will be passed on etc. Every step I mentioned, one of the interviewers was getting more and more enthusiastic about it, and then I sort of got to the end of what I understood as the generally accepted procedure, so I said "... and that's how I'd handle a customer complaint."

He just looked disappointed, like he was expecting me to say something else, but I didn't know what. I know enough to know that he was excited and enthusiastic and then disappointed, but not enough to know what it was I was supposed to say.

So yeah, the bit I hate is the weird little tests where you're supposed to know the right answer but they're not obvious.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I'd say decide which parts of your identity you are most comfortable sharing and be open about them from the beginning. Like if you feel like you can share the family stuff, and you know you'll deal with a lot of people from non-traditional family backgrounds, you can use that to show your own upbringing lets you relate to them. Stuff like that.

Above all, keep this in mind: You are under no obligation whatsoever to disclose anything during the job interview. If you don't want to disclose your family situation, don't. If you don't want to disclose you're on the spectrum, don't. You are allowed to omit things, you are allowed to lie.

I guess the organization encourages this disclosure to allow people to be themselves, so they don't have to hide their sexuality, gender identity, disabilities etc, which is a good thing, but I can see how it makes you feel pressured that you need to disclose everything, and honestly I would feel strange about being asked that as well. In this case, it's not working as intended, it doesn't make you feel more at ease and safe, it makes you feel less so.

If they are as understanding as it sounds, they should have no problem with you choosing to hide some aspects of yourself until you feel ready to reveal them. I bet this won't be the first time one of their employees has done so. You have previously experienced negative reactions, it's only natural you'd be wary.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I'm sorry I have no idea how to handle that situation, but it reminded me of a bit I heard on NPR in which one woman said "I have never not regretted telling my employers about my autism."

It sucks. I want the people at work to understand my differences, but especially since I work at a school and I see how the autistic students are viewed by the staff, I don't want them ever to find out about my diagnosis.

You'd think in organizations seeking diversity it'd be a good thing, but people all have biases and preconceptions, no matter how evolved or 'woke' they are.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Depending on the situation, it may be easier and/or less complicated to describe yourself as neurodivergent, and politely demur from going into further (medical) detail. That covers a pretty wide range of brain flavors, many of them very common, and it's a big HR buzzword right now that can give you a segue--if it's something you want--to discuss your specific strengths and talents, both brain-flavor-related and otherwise, and how they would be an asset to the program. Of course, you absolutely don't need to disclose even that if you're not comfortable; employers generally aren't allowed to inquire about a prospective employee's medical history, so anything you share should be your choice to disclose.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cloacamazing! posted:

Above all, keep this in mind: You are under no obligation whatsoever to disclose anything during the job interview. If you don't want to disclose your family situation, don't. If you don't want to disclose you're on the spectrum, don't. You are allowed to omit things, you are allowed to lie.

I'm someone who's very "outwardly" ADHD, in that I'm always rocking my leg, constantly bouncing from thing to thing, pretty hyperactive like a very stereotypical ADHD adult, so I don't always have the option of hiding my neurodiversity, but the above post is 100% my stance. If you don't feel comfortable, you don't have to.

However, I ask you to ask yourself why you're uncomfortable with talking about it (specifically, is it the company/org you're applying to) because if it's the employer, you should probably just save yourself the time. If an employer is going to show their colors in the interview and be an rear end in a top hat or otherwise treat you ill for disclosing that diagnosis, that's pretty nice of them to save you the time of finding out they are poo poo heads later.

If you're uncomfortable sharing for other reasons, like past experiences or trauma that you are working through, then it's fine to not disclose it and continue working on yourself. Don't feel guilty or like you're hiding anything, it's your right to share what you're comfortable with. That might change, it might not, everyone's journey is different

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

I guess the organization encourages this disclosure to allow people to be themselves, so they don't have to hide their sexuality, gender identity, disabilities etc, which is a good thing, but I can see how it makes you feel pressured that you need to disclose everything, and honestly I would feel strange about being asked that as well. In this case, it's not working as intended, it doesn't make you feel more at ease and safe, it makes you feel less so.

Also, at least where I live, since they are not for profit, they can apply for government funding with the stats of "We are hiring diversity, thus doing good for the community, pushing and improving for a better future. Especially since this community is at a disadvantage." Which I get. We need more funding and it sucks that there are people in black suits with high education to their name gatekeeping our worth. There are also bursaries aimed at certain identity communities and I understand needing to disclose such information then.

However, it also becomes a system for some organizations (even well-meaning ones) to be able to flash the "WE ARE DIVERSE CARD. LOOK HOW WELCOMING WE ARE". The ones are more concerned about the image than actual acceptance and challenging their own bias. Except in those cases, personal experience has shown they are not as welcoming to ND people. I think I am worried that this might turn out for the worse. This is a job I really want and believe in and it will advance my career greatly. I am not doing it for the money.

quote:

I'm someone who's very "outwardly" ADHD, in that I'm always rocking my leg, constantly bouncing from thing to thing, pretty hyperactive like a very stereotypical ADHD adult, so I don't always have the option of hiding my neurodiversity, but the above post is 100% my stance. If you don't feel comfortable, you don't have to.

I too have the rocking of the feet and can be outwardly ADHD/Autistic but I have come to the point that I can pass as quirky. Also, the job interview is online so I can hide their quirks better.

skeletronics posted:

I'm sorry I have no idea how to handle that situation, but it reminded me of a bit I heard on NPR in which one woman said "I have never not regretted telling my employers about my autism."

It sucks. I want the people at work to understand my differences, but especially since I work at a school and I see how the autistic students are viewed by the staff, I don't want them ever to find out about my diagnosis.

You'd think in organizations seeking diversity it'd be a good thing, but people all have biases and preconceptions, no matter how evolved or 'woke' they are.

You sum up my life experience.

That being said, the younger generations are promising. Watching my nieces and nephew who are becoming adults are more open about their ND/Mental Health while finding safe spaces/friend groups which gives me a tiny bit of hope for this world.

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 12, 2023

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DrNewton posted:

I too have the rocking of the feet and can be outwardly ADHD/Autistic but I have come to the point that I can pass as quirky. Also, the job interview is online so I can hide their quirks better.

My one coworker mentioned the first time we got lunch after like a year and a half of working together that he was a quick yes because he knew I was ADHD and would fit in with the team perfectly lol

One of the previous posters mentioned using the neurodiverse label and I really like that as a suggestion. Leaves it very open ended without having to get into medical details while still being a very unique part of you that fits what they are asking.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

bagmonkey posted:

My one coworker mentioned the first time we got lunch after like a year and a half of working together that he was a quick yes because he knew I was ADHD and would fit in with the team perfectly lol

One of the previous posters mentioned using the neurodiverse label and I really like that as a suggestion. Leaves it very open ended without having to get into medical details while still being a very unique part of you that fits what they are asking.

I agree, it is a good suggestion and I already use it in general. It also allows to check off the dyslexia box too.

Alright, thanks for the support, everyone. I believe I just needed to lay out my fears and stress more than anything else.

Now I really must practice for this interview. I have an exercise class in the evening, so this afternoon is ticking away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Applying for jobs and doing interviews was always nightmare stuff for me, but luckily these days I have a coach for an hour every week. I had an interview a few weeks ago, and took him along. That a potential employer can hear from someone other than me that while I do need some accomodation and help, it's all really minor stuff seems to reassure them quite a bit that I'm a good hire.

EDIT: I should mention that I didn't mention that I'm autistic at all, we conciously left it at "needs some accomodation". In my experience all employers have a lot of prejudgements about why an autistic person can't possibly function in their organization. So I just leave that bit out these days.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 12, 2023