Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

awesmoe posted:

IME (which is obviously super limited) you only get one type of set/legendary type per like monolith instance I guess I'd call it? Like the first time I went in to the stolen lance I saw four "Unique or Set Staff or Sceptre" echos and no other unique types - was that just a coincidence?

Each of the monoliths has a different set of item types that it will roll Unique or Set X echo rewards for - they're listed here. Stolen Lance can have any of Staff, Sceptre, Catalyst, or Wand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dallan Invictus posted:

Each of the monoliths has a different set of item types that it will roll Unique or Set X echo rewards for - they're listed here. Stolen Lance can have any of Staff, Sceptre, Catalyst, or Wand.

right, but you're saying that its just random per echo, rather than each reset of the monolith picking one of those item types and only having those?
cos if I'm understanding you right I made my life much more complicated than it needed to be :(

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I THINK it's just random per echo but I haven't seen anything that would confirm it one way or the other. I'm actually going to run some Stolen Lance tonight so if I see more than one type per reset I'll edit it in here.

edit: yeah, it seems like it's just per echo:

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 10, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MMF Freeway posted:

Yes its a pain in the rear end and seems to trigger when you fire into elevated terrain (which can be hard to see in the first place). I switched back to the orbiting ones personally but it can get rough being that close to stuff later unless you build enough defense, like using the unique relic that lets you stack ward easily.

I noticed this tonight on my static orb sorc. It detonates where you put the cursor so I was thinking that was causing it but it definitely seems like it breaks on imperceivable elevation changes in the terrain like you said. Build rules though, poo poo is absolutely melting everything and the ward is good at keeping me alive.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've made it through the campaign and I had absolutely no idea what was going on during any of it. I was mainly running around doing stuff for some people and never had any idea who I am, so naturally I'm guessing there's a lot of speculation concerning the MC's identity.

I'm level 67 and even though I've been able to spin my warpath through my way the story and some Monolith content, I can't help but to feel I should be having better gear. Campaign didn't really offer me anything on that front. I am using loot filters, but occasionally I'm looking to see if there's anything they're hiding from me and there really is not. Most of the uniques I've got have not been for my class either. So where am I gonna get some better gear? I have cleared the first Monolith twice and also killed the Shade of Orobyss, so I will probably start doing the next ones - or some dungeons, which I have crapload of keys for, like the Arena or Soulfire bastion, and I've never been.

(I realize that the chestpiece that removes health regen is probably a trap, but it looks cool. Also have a few different ones to switch out if I need some certain resistance.)

One problem is also that levels seem to rack up so slow now. I still have a lot of passive points I'd want to put in. So any tips what I should/could be doing now to feel more effective?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I'm guessing you're about to get an awful lot of advice on crafting.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, I have been trying to do some crafting, breaking apart stuff for good modifiers, but I just don't seem to find a good "base" piece I could start piling the mods on. Or do I just have to be less picky?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

TeaJay posted:

I mean, I have been trying to do some crafting, breaking apart stuff for good modifiers, but I just don't seem to find a good "base" piece I could start piling the mods on. Or do I just have to be less picky?

You can do a lot with a piece that has a high tier affix that’s good for your build and going from there. A main stat and a useful survival affix (resistances, crit avoidance, health, etc) is what I typically aim for the build off of, but isn’t 100% necessary. With some diligence and shattering otherwise trash pieces for their shards that you want you can do a lot.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

TeaJay posted:

I usually start from a piece of gear that has at least two of my target affixes, and then go from there. I'm definitely less picky prior to being high enough level to get the base item I want.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If you see an item where you think “ok I like those two affixes and the third one is ok, but the fourth one is useless!” You can always try to reroll that affix with a glyph of chaos. Sometimes you get lucky and you were just gonna throw away or shatter that item anyways so why not try? (Unless the useless affix is a rare shard type anyways)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Similarly you can try and roll the dice on a rune of removal, if you have a situation where you have 2 or more affixes you want gone that's a 50-50 shot of winning, and even if you lose (remove an affix you wanted to keep) you get the shards back to try to apply on something else.

The trick with crafting in this game is getting to know what makes a good project. In my experience a good rule of thumb is "drops with at least two affixes you want, at a reasonable level for the content you're doing, with enough potential to let you complete whatever fiddling you want to do to improve it", and I've designed my filter accordingly.

(rares or exalts drop with more potential than magics but they have fewer open affixes so if they don't drop good then it takes more work to fix).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Okay Lagon is officially an awful fight, jesus.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Lagon, D3 Belial, POE Kitava, every fight where you're stuck on a ledge fighting something gigantic and immobile with an iffy hitbox, a huge HP pool to grind through using that hitbox, and constant oneshots you have to dodge along that tiny ledge is the same and they can all go to hell.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 10, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Lagon, Belial, Kitava, every fight where you're stuck on a ledge fighting something gigantic and immobile with an iffy hitbox, a huge HP pool to grind through using that hitbox, and oneshots you have to dodge along that tiny ledge is the same and they can all go to hell.
I recall D3 Belial being a lot clearer about what parts were safe and the "impending murder" AOE markers being much clearer.

Still sucked but not as much as "you didn't see a white indicator on top of a bright glowing moon drawing on the ground? eat poo poo"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just hate Lagon's "run around and dodge tidal waves while you punch crabs and tentacles" phase. Don't mind the actual fight, his icy beam of death is so easy to Dodge

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Lagon fight is fun as a necromancer cause right now the bone golem kind of disappears off screen and Lagon turns to fight it over there, so I just end up hitting him in the back.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

bobtheconqueror posted:

Lagon fight is fun as a necromancer cause right now the bone golem kind of disappears off screen and Lagon turns to fight it over there, so I just end up hitting him in the back.

In contrast as a Forge Guard my Manifest Armor will hit it for two seconds before losing the ability to attack, meanwhile my swords spawn in the phase 2 arena and so are blocked off by tentacles. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bobtheconqueror posted:

Just fought him in the non-empowered monolith and with the static orb sorc he is actually pretty easy now that I can dodge his attacks fairly well. The tentacle phase is simple because lightning blast almost one-shots them, and I use static orb to deal with the little annoying mobs that spawn. Lagon himself melts super fast to lightning blast, and as long as I see the dumb insta-kill thing coming, teleporting past it means I don't even need to make sure I'm on the right side of it anymore. Dodging the waves is still annoying though.

I'm bashing my way toward empowered, level 77 and just started on the level 85 monolith. I skipped over the level 80 one, not sure if I need to do that or not. I remember someone saying you don't need to do them all to get to empowered, just not sure which ones were skippable!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The Locator posted:

I'm bashing my way toward empowered, level 77 and just started on the level 85 monolith. I skipped over the level 80 one, not sure if I need to do that or not. I remember someone saying you don't need to do them all to get to empowered, just not sure which ones were skippable!

To unlock empowered you just need to complete all three of the level 90 monoliths, which all unlock after you complete the 85 monolith (Reign of Dragons) once, so all you have to do is finish the one you're on and then run the three that unlock.

For everyone else, because of the way the timelines connect, the fastest way to reach Empowered is thus:

• In Fall of the Outcasts (58), after killing the boss choose whichever option unlocks the level 66 timeline instead of the 62.
  • In Ending the Storm (75), in the second quest echo choose to fight Liath, which unlocks the 85 timeline instead of the 80 once you kill Lagon.

Because we live in the darkest timeline this doesn't seem to have been written down in a straightforward way anywhere, but it skips Stolen Lance (62), Blood, Frost, and Death (70), and Fall of the Empire (80), and once you unlock Empowered monoliths you can choose the other paths in the above two choices to unlock the skipped monoliths, and you'll still be able to run them in Empowered mode without having completed them normally.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 10, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

To unlock empowered you just need to complete all three of the level 90 monoliths, which all unlock after you complete the 85 monolith (Reign of Dragons) once, so all you have to do is finish the one you're on and then run the three that unlock.

For everyone else, because of the way the timelines connect, the fastest way to reach Empowered is thus:

• In Fall of the Outcasts (58), after killing the boss choose whichever option unlocks the level 66 timeline instead of the 62.
  • In Ending the Storm (75), in the second quest echo choose to fight Liath, which unlocks the 85 timeline instead of the 80 once you kill Lagon.

Because we live in the darkest timeline this doesn't seem to have been written down in a straightforward way anywhere, but it skips Stolen Lance (62), Blood, Frost, and Death (70), and Fall of the Empire (80), and once you unlock Empowered monoliths you can choose the other paths in the above two choices to unlock the skipped monoliths, and you'll still be able to run them in Empowered mode without having completed them normally.

Thanks dude. I thought I could skip the 80, but I didn't skip any of the others.

I'm kind of curious the lowest level character anyone has unlocked and run empowered monolith's is.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You all are making me tempted to retool my Sorcerer (again) to go back to static orb. I never really tried the orbiting version, just direct fire.

You all have much mana issues with it?

Otherwise, I've been playing a Storm Totem Shaman and really enjoying it.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 10, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You all are making me tempted to retool my Sorcerer (again) to go back to static orb. I never really tried the orbiting version, just direct fire.

You guys have much mana issues with it?

Otherwise, I've been playing a Storm Totem Shaman and really enjoying it.

With the orbiting version, you are right in the face of the mobs so Mana Strike refills it pretty easily, just whack a mob in between Static Orb's. With direct fire I'm using Focus to regain mana, and while I don't get a full tank every time, if I realize I'm going to be in a long fight (like an arena echo) I just make sure to use Focus until it gets it's big 'bump' of mana (I forget what it's called) early in the fight (like at half mana or above) and then redo it whenever it comes off of cooldown, and it generates plenty of mana to keep me going with very little issue. If I have to do this in middle of a fight I pop Flame Ward first, and so far (knock on wood) I've never died while channeling Focus.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Locator posted:

I am curious for anyone else that's playing Static Orb sorc - have you had any issues with the spell firing like it's "static" instead of Static orb? Just a small burst of lightning nearby instead of throwing out the orbs like it should?

I found a map asset, a large bonfire, that just absorbs many projectile shots in a hilariously huge radius around its actual physical self.

Static Orb just exploding the second its cast inside the bonfire's "area".

Static Orb exploding at the edge of the "area", look how huge it is...

Lightning blast still works though, probably because its not a "projectile".

The "Bonfire Zone" also abosrbed fireballs, volcanic orbs, and ice barrage shots. I bet a Hammerdin would have a really bad time around this thing lol.

Also, having gone back to my Sorcerer after playing Necro and Shaman, who don't really "aim" as much, I'm suddenly realizing I'm having a hell of a time with losing track of my mouse cursor at times. That little gold triangle loves to blend in half the time. I wish there was an option to use a more visible mouse cursor instead of a "pretty" one.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I found a map asset, a large bonfire, that just absorbs many projectile shots in a hilariously huge radius around its actual physical self.

Static Orb just exploding the second its cast inside the bonfire's "area".

Static Orb exploding at the edge of the "area", look how huge it is...

Lightning blast still works though, probably because its not a "projectile".

The "Bonfire Zone" also abosrbed fireballs, volcanic orbs, and ice barrage shots. I bet a Hammerdin would have a really bad time around this thing lol.

Also, having gone back to my Sorcerer after playing Necro and Shaman, who don't really "aim" as much, I'm suddenly realizing I'm having a hell of a time with losing track of my mouse cursor at times. That little gold triangle loves to blend in half the time. I wish there was an option to use a more visible mouse cursor instead of a "pretty" one.

Interesting information with the bonfire. I'll have to watch for it, but I'm pretty sure that some maps I've had the issue on didn't have bonfires at all. The elevation thing seems to trigger it mostly, but I'll have to start looking for other objects that this happens when on screen.

As far as the cursor thing, that's not even a cursor visibility thing for me.. as I've gotten to be an old man, I can't keep track of where my cursor is to save my life.. It's always prevented me from getting into the super-deep endgame of PoE, but this game so far seems to be a little more forgiving of me being a clumsy idiot and losing track of where I'm pointing on the screen.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

TeaJay posted:

I've made it through the campaign and I had absolutely no idea what was going on during any of it. I was mainly running around doing stuff for some people and never had any idea who I am, so naturally I'm guessing there's a lot of speculation concerning the MC's identity.

I'm level 67 and even though I've been able to spin my warpath through my way the story and some Monolith content, I can't help but to feel I should be having better gear. Campaign didn't really offer me anything on that front. I am using loot filters, but occasionally I'm looking to see if there's anything they're hiding from me and there really is not. Most of the uniques I've got have not been for my class either. So where am I gonna get some better gear? I have cleared the first Monolith twice and also killed the Shade of Orobyss, so I will probably start doing the next ones - or some dungeons, which I have crapload of keys for, like the Arena or Soulfire bastion, and I've never been.

(I realize that the chestpiece that removes health regen is probably a trap, but it looks cool. Also have a few different ones to switch out if I need some certain resistance.)

One problem is also that levels seem to rack up so slow now. I still have a lot of passive points I'd want to put in. So any tips what I should/could be doing now to feel more effective?

For better gear you really want to push to empowered monos asap, always go the higher level path like someone else mentioned already and you'll get there quicker. XP also picks up a fair bit in empowered via the corruption mechanic. If you have decent res and scale your damage appropriately with gear/tree, regular monos shouldn't be all that slow. I personally don't think it's worth repeating a mono or trying to farm one with vessels until you hit empowered. Orobyss also starts dropping Apathy's Maw which is a decent 2h for VK melee and like all uniques, is significantly better if you roll one with LP and put something good on it through the Cache in Temporal Sanctum. Dungeons in general are also good for drops, plus you can gamble specific higher tier bases in Soulfire Bastion and the rarity is usually pretty good, it's also fairly easy if you do the mechanic especially on lower tiers. If you have gold you can blow it on chests in Lightless Arbor, don't stand in his stuff, get phys res and this is probably the one place in the game where poison resist might matter. I don't really enjoy Arena, but that's decent xp and the bosses have restricted unique drops if you wanted like, Vaion's Chariot. Without seeing the rest of your gear, you should be able to craft a better rare in short order with a decent base. Odachi's great for the crit multi, maybe Hollow Blade later on, dual wield is fine too, I'd look for Katanas, Dawn Blades, Eagle Wings & Shadow Cleavers as far as bases if you go that route. You want to aim for two complementary prefixes and something like armor shred, frailty, less crit taken, maybe chill or shock as suffixes. I'm not sure how much you're leveraging the bleed mod there, but crits and dots generally don't scale very well together and while the phys damage works with bleed, I don't see damage over time on your stat sheet.

As far as trees go, hard to give general advice but to look for nodes on the tree that say 'more'. VK gets plenty of flat damage, leech, Vitality and resists on the passive tree roughly in order of importance, plus good crit mods and some extra damage reduction. Volatile Reversal gives VK a ton of free damage through the Harbinger of Dust nodes (and Time Rifts if you're scaling dots) if you get some aoe & place your rifts on bosses appropriately, plus gives some global attack speed and move speed, I would probably drop Vengeance to fit this. Anomaly I just go right/down for duration, speed and crit and the self cast stuff. Sigils are a great support skill and give you a bunch of free damage and armor. What's your 5th skill?

Glancing over your stat sheet & char sheet, your resists look fine with the exception of necrotic, but a lot of the higher damage necrotic stuff you can dodge. You probably want to focus on either void or physical damage to scale, not both. VK goes well with crit, so I might look for +%crit strike mods, % crit multi or %crit chance on weapons in that order. You definitely want more attack speed than that. Besides tree, skills and weapon mods, you can also find that as a glove prefix or on Jade amulet as a base, but Bone amulets are also great for the implicit. I think you could also have a much bigger health pool, especially given the Titan Heart if you scale Vitality and health on gear/tree - you want hybrid health mods foremost (gloves, belt, boots), %health (head, chest, belt) next and flat health 3rd. Scaling Vitality also gives you a bunch of flat health and some damage through the passive tree. Capping Crit Avoid is great, Sentinel gets some good class-specific bases for this. Endurance is also a great defensive layer if you scale it. Heoborean/Solarum are the best boot bases, you probably want Crusader or Engraved gloves ultimately. Ivory Rings are good for shoring up Necrotic res, Coral is good for scaling Vit, Opal is great, Silver for %ms or gold if you want the res.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Hauki posted:

A lot of good info

Thanks for your tips! I feel like I'm still at a point where I'm taking a lot of new stuff in. I have been clearing monoliths and working my way towards the end, skipping the few mentioned for now, but I will return to them later. I've "reset" a few by killing the Shade but I haven't gone back to them yet, so I don't know how hard the corruption will be on entry level. But like I said I have been working towards unlocking the empowered versions even though I feel like I'm woefully underleveled for them. The fact that the armor I'm using doesn't have health regen makes things a bit dangerous but if I really start dying because of it, I'll switch it out.

This is the build I've been following and building towards:

https://www.lastepochtools.com/build-guides/the-blender-2-0

It is pretty simple but I wanted a simple build to begin with since this is basically the first game of this kind I have played more than a few hours (if you don't count some Lost Ark?). Basically I'm staying in warpath and popping up Anomaly to boost my damage and get Sigils of fire out when I remember. I still have a lot of passives I haven't managed to fill, and leveling is quite slow at this point.

For some reason I've noticed that the stat page doesn't seem to update things like crit chance; I have some in my gear but the chance stays at 8% in the stats.

Here are some pics of my current gear at level 76. Been trying to read about stats I should be looking for, but some of the crafting is still quite overwhelming too, for example, I probably have an idea of what maybe 1-2 of the runes actually do.

https://imgur.com/a/euuVOpw

How does multiplayer work in the game? I have a friend who pretty soon will reach monolith stage, so we might run some together. Do both get the same rewards and clear?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I guess I got one thing I could try later..

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Got to Empowered Monoliths for the first time, on my Sorcerer. :toot:

Immediately I can feel the step up, I'm still mowing down enemies, but they're definitely taking a punch better. Hopefully I can start improving my gear. What should I work on first now that I'm at Empowered Monoliths? Trying to sort out desirable Grand Blessings I assume are a big first goal.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
aiming for blessings targeted at filling gear gaps or that accelerate your drop rate for the item types you want are really helpful for sure, camping out on a timeline for a bit hunting for a good blessing roll is a common play; it helps a bunch as well if your timeline target has a set of uniques & set items that you find desirable

this place has a solid compile of all the various timeline bits if you want to just know where stuff is without flying blind https://lastepoch.tunklab.com/timelines

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TeaJay posted:

Thanks for your tips! I feel like I'm still at a point where I'm taking a lot of new stuff in. I have been clearing monoliths and working my way towards the end, skipping the few mentioned for now, but I will return to them later. I've "reset" a few by killing the Shade but I haven't gone back to them yet, so I don't know how hard the corruption will be on entry level. But like I said I have been working towards unlocking the empowered versions even though I feel like I'm woefully underleveled for them. The fact that the armor I'm using doesn't have health regen makes things a bit dangerous but if I really start dying because of it, I'll switch it out.

This is the build I've been following and building towards:

https://www.lastepochtools.com/build-guides/the-blender-2-0

It is pretty simple but I wanted a simple build to begin with since this is basically the first game of this kind I have played more than a few hours (if you don't count some Lost Ark?). Basically I'm staying in warpath and popping up Anomaly to boost my damage and get Sigils of fire out when I remember. I still have a lot of passives I haven't managed to fill, and leveling is quite slow at this point.

For some reason I've noticed that the stat page doesn't seem to update things like crit chance; I have some in my gear but the chance stays at 8% in the stats.

Here are some pics of my current gear at level 76. Been trying to read about stats I should be looking for, but some of the crafting is still quite overwhelming too, for example, I probably have an idea of what maybe 1-2 of the runes actually do.

For that build, assuming you are following the build guide your warpath physical tag was swapped with void (Apocalypse Whirl node), meaning that you need to focus on Flat Void damage and Additional Void Damage as well as a LOT more melee attack speed.

Your idols aren't ideal but nothing really wrong there, it's mostly all useful. Flat void damage and Melee Attack Speed I think will be your biggest large DPS jumps you can do. Remember that all your nodes and gear that does added void damage is scaling the flat void damage, and your weapon has 0 flat void damage, so all your flat void damage is only coming from your skills/passives at this point.

A weapon something like this Hollow Blade should be fairly easy to come by at your level (use crafting to fill in the holes if there are open slots):

Your boots could be replaced by Darkstride, a very common unique drop which if you are stashing all your uniques, you may already have:

If you have Health on Melee Hit, then you can easily dump some of your 'leech' items for gear that either patches up resist holes (poison is the only one I see) or improves offense with attack speed or void damage.

If it were me I would prioritize the weapon, boots, and gloves with attack speed.

On the crit chance, I believe it's only showing your "Base" crit chance, and not taking into account all the additional %increased chance to crit gear/nodes. I'm not sure why it works like that, but my sorcerer who has a ridiculous increased crit chance (like over 300%) still only shows 24% chance to crit, which is the current base crit chance that can be added up by counting points in the skill/passive trees. All characters start with a base 5% crit chance.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cheers! I did manage to get Darkstride as a drop while clearing that monolith earlier, so that's a plus. I hear you on the attack speed, but I just haven't been able to land the kind of weapon that has all the stats I wanted. But I did not realize that about the flat melee void damage, so I'm guessing if it's not a hollow blade (which seems to have the stat built in), I'd have to get it as an affix to a weapon to make the most of my build?

Been using this the last few monos now:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TeaJay posted:

Cheers! I did manage to get Darkstride as a drop while clearing that monolith earlier, so that's a plus. I hear you on the attack speed, but I just haven't been able to land the kind of weapon that has all the stats I wanted. But I did not realize that about the flat melee void damage, so I'm guessing if it's not a hollow blade (which seems to have the stat built in), I'd have to get it as an affix to a weapon to make the most of my build?

Been using this the last few monos now:

Even though that sword is pretty sub-optimal for the build, just do a quick experiment with it. Mouse over your warpath and look at the shown DPS (it should change as you start spinning too I believe) with your axe. Now equip the sword and do it again. Even without good void affixes, I bet that 33 flat void damage will cause your DPS to be significantly higher with the sword (also the faster base attack speed).

Depending on what tier the existing affixes are at, you can also do some gambling with that useless +lightning damage affix. If it's below T5 you can use a glyph of chaos and "upgrade" it. This will replace that affix with another random affix and also upgrade it to the next higher tier.

As it is now, it will deal the lightning damage, but you have no modifiers on that (other than increased melee damage since it's melee lighting... I think?) so it won't be a huge amount of damage.

I do a lot of chaos upgrade gambling on items that are potentially a great upgrade if I hit the right affix, but never on my current primary weapon unless the affix I'm doing the chaos on is a complete waste for the build. Since that sword only has 6 forging potential, you'll only get one try at it.

If you read the gearing section of the build guide, it should have a lot of good tips for what to focus on, and specific types of gear to look for.

Edit: The void penetration will also increase your damage dealt, but I'm not sure it shows up in the tool-tip when mousing over the skill. You can always run part of an echo with the axe, then another part with the sword and see which one feels better.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Locator posted:

Even though that sword is pretty sub-optimal for the build, just do a quick experiment with it. Mouse over your warpath and look at the shown DPS (it should change as you start spinning too I believe) with your axe. Now equip the sword and do it again. Even without good void affixes, I bet that 33 flat void damage will cause your DPS to be significantly higher with the sword (also the faster base attack speed).

Depending on what tier the existing affixes are at, you can also do some gambling with that useless +lightning damage affix. If it's below T5 you can use a glyph of chaos and "upgrade" it. This will replace that affix with another random affix and also upgrade it to the next higher tier.

As it is now, it will deal the lightning damage, but you have no modifiers on that (other than increased melee damage since it's melee lighting... I think?) so it won't be a huge amount of damage.

I do a lot of chaos upgrade gambling on items that are potentially a great upgrade if I hit the right affix, but never on my current primary weapon unless the affix I'm doing the chaos on is a complete waste for the build. Since that sword only has 6 forging potential, you'll only get one try at it.

If you read the gearing section of the build guide, it should have a lot of good tips for what to focus on, and specific types of gear to look for.

Edit: The void penetration will also increase your damage dealt, but I'm not sure it shows up in the tool-tip when mousing over the skill. You can always run part of an echo with the axe, then another part with the sword and see which one feels better.

Oh wow, thanks a lot. I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Also this was the first time I ever realized there was a DPS number... which is about 8400 with the Hollow blade.

I also have this Abyssal blade which has impressive big numbers, and at least the DPS would be higher there.

https://imgur.com/a/UvLHGHd

Playing such a game seems like you have to have a degree in statistics but I think it's making a bit more sense now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TeaJay posted:

Oh wow, thanks a lot. I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Also this was the first time I ever realized there was a DPS number... which is about 8400 with the Hollow blade.

I also have this Abyssal blade which has impressive big numbers, and at least the DPS would be higher there.

https://imgur.com/a/UvLHGHd

Playing such a game seems like you have to have a degree in statistics but I think it's making a bit more sense now.

You can also get a better idea of how things scale in your setup by finding a town with a test dummy, and do your warpath on the test dummy for a few seconds to let everything spin up, all while mousing over the dps number for warpath, and try both weapons to see how the numbers look after all your skills and procs are online.

Also that Winged Blade has an open affix and forging potential, so throw it in the forge, click on the empty affix and see what you have available that you can stick on it. If you can get a good chance to shred armor on there, that will increase the effective DPS a good bit. Shred armor is very good for the warpath VK.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

TeaJay posted:

Playing such a game seems like you have to have a degree in statistics

That’s Path of Exile. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I was looking into a possible solution to the "losing the mouse pointer" issue and someone suggested Yolomouse, a piece of software that overwrights the mouse icon and you can pick something more highvis (such as a neon pink pointer 4-5 times the normal one).

Anyone ever used something like this before?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
e: wrong thread

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I was looking into a possible solution to the "losing the mouse pointer" issue and someone suggested Yolomouse, a piece of software that overwrights the mouse icon and you can pick something more highvis (such as a neon pink pointer 4-5 times the normal one).

i had yolomouse set to autostart when i was still on windows, it's great
it also remembers which program has which cursor so once you set it for LE it'll always change the cursor when you're playing it and only when you're playing

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I used yolo mouse for a bladedancer build a year or two ago. Worked wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thanks for the comments I picked it up and have been trying it out and so I think I like it. Its nice not to lose my mouse!

Whoa. Useless for my sorc but IIRC this ring is good for other builds and this rolled highish on affixes with 3 LP.... :stare: