Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We must accept that Benny Russell would've been a sex freak, like every other scifi author who put pen to paper in the 1960s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
regardless of accent doohan's voice becomes very distinct if you watch TAS

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do humans consider eachother aliens if they were born in different solar systems?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

And if not, what's the threshold (lol) for genetic drift among an isolated population for that to become the case?

Obviously not as far as when children can't be conceived by children from different populations because then most humanoids wouldn't be considered aliens. I guess if that one TNG episode is to be believed and everyone shares a common ancestor, alienization can happen to isolated human populations over time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

zoux posted:

We must accept that Benny Russell would've been a sex freak, like every other scifi author who put pen to paper in the 1960s.

He was a New York one. I don't think they were the same as the Southern California occult/sex/scifi triad that characters like Roddenberry, Hubbard, and Jack Parsons were mixed up in.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Do humans consider eachother aliens if they were born in different solar systems?

I mean Romulans and Vulcans still consider each other to be the same species, right?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Are the voth aliens?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

And if not, what's the threshold (lol) for genetic drift among an isolated population for that to become the case?

Obviously not as far as when children can't be conceived by children from different populations because then most humanoids wouldn't be considered aliens. I guess if that one TNG episode is to be believed and everyone shares a common ancestor, alienization can happen to isolated human populations over time.

I mean, the genetic stuff in ST is ridiculous. You are much more likely to produce a viable offspring with like, a horse than you are an organism that evolved on a different planet with completely different environmental pressures, unless the progenitor race somehow encoded "this all results in sexually dimorphic bipeds mostly with dicks and vaginas" into the chromosomes of their Space Seed. Yet we quite often see hybrids between species, which is ridiculous because one of the markers of speciation is the inability to cross breed. Maybe Spock is a mule.

I did notice in DS9 that they acknowledge that it would be difficult for a Trill and a Klingon to have a child together, and Julian with a throwaway line about how some treatment he could do looked promising, so I guess it's implied -there and right there only - that some genetic manipulation is required to get these interplanetary hybrids but if that's true then the implication there is that Starfleet Medical has the technology to mate anything with anything

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

I mean, the genetic stuff in ST is ridiculous. You are much more likely to produce a viable offspring with like, a horse than you are an organism that evolved on a different planet with completely different environmental pressures, unless the progenitor race somehow encoded "this all results in sexually dimorphic bipeds mostly with dicks and vaginas" into the chromosomes of their Space Seed. Yet we quite often see hybrids between species, which is ridiculous because one of the markers of speciation is the inability to cross breed. Maybe Spock is a mule.

I did notice in DS9 that they acknowledge that it would be difficult for a Trill and a Klingon to have a child together, and Julian with a throwaway line about how some treatment he could do looked promising, so I guess it's implied -there and right there only - that some genetic manipulation is required to get these interplanetary hybrids but if that's true then the implication there is that Starfleet Medical has the technology to mate anything with anything

Let's face it: if anyone had that technology it'd be humans.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

zoux posted:

Starfleet Medical has the technology to mate anything with anything

Humans would do that

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

zoux posted:

Starfleet Medical has the technology to mate anything with anything

And thus, the groundwork was laid for the great Star Trek / Pokemon crossover event...

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Powered Descent posted:

And thus, the groundwork was laid for the great Star Trek / Pokemon crossover event...

Some people swear there was a bulbasaur skull on Lower Decks in the anomaly collection duty episode

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I feel loving cheated by "Eye of the Beholder." stupid Dallas-rear end "it was all a dream" ending.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

-there and right there only -

The big arc in the final season of enterprise is basically all about this.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

just finished The Killing Game two parter.

seeing a Klingon kill a nazi loving rocks

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Can Orville chat land here since it's the closest thing to TNG on TV?

I just started watching the third season, I'm three episodes in, and it's sort of rough. Being limited to a 43 minute runtime or whatever the broadcast number is was a favor to the show.

The Mortality Paradox (starts off in the high school on the mysterious planet) was more a TOS flashback than anything else.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

zoux posted:

I'm finishing up Season 6 and Fair Haven is the worst episode of Star Trek in history. Threshold is a billion times better than "we can create any setting from any of a hundred worlds spanning thousands of light years, each more incredible and exotic than the last - vistas to steal your breath, depths and heights to boggle your mind. Or we can pick an Irish village because we have the sets for those and the country is in the middle of an intense but fleeting obsession with Riverdance".

Having just finished DS9 and going back to Voyager is a really bad idea. Voyager is just so uninterested in its setting, they could be meeting and encountering crazy poo poo constantly but instead they do multiple episodes set in a holodeck program your grandma would make and constantly set entire episodes in the AQ. In DS9 the holosuites are primarily for loving in.

I would rather watch Fair Haven a dozen times over the dumbfucking Chakotay episode, Nemesis.

I’m sorry, I mean I would wrestle my trembles to rages and glimpse Fair Haven double six cycles above the dumbfucking Chakotay episode, Nemesis. Fathom?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Admiralty Flag posted:

This thread just recently spent a week mostly talking about B5 so I don't see why not.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Admiralty Flag posted:

I just started watching the third season, I'm three episodes in, and it's sort of rough. Being limited to a 43 minute runtime or whatever the broadcast number is was a favor to the show.

The Mortality Paradox (starts off in the high school on the mysterious planet) was more a TOS flashback than anything else.

There is a TVIV thread for The Orville, but as you can imagine it's not very lively these days. I have no problem with a bit of Orville chat in a Trek thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829973

I will say that I agree with you about the first few episodes of Orville season 3, but it does improve from there, and it ends on a high note.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PenguinKnight posted:

just finished The Killing Game two parter.

seeing a Klingon kill a nazi loving rocks

Lmao at this entry about the episode on MA.

Memory Alpha posted:

The fact that Brannon Braga and Joe Menosky were not, at this point in the series, particularly interested in the character of Harry Kim inspired their decision to make him the only main character who does not participate in the holographic war games of this episode's two-parter, a role that had to be accentuated in order to fill up the story. "We stuck his rear end on the bridge," said Menosky, blatantly, "and we just didn't care.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

I'm sure Bashir has some good news to share with everyone about Vaporeon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I would rather watch Fair Haven a dozen times over the dumbfucking Chakotay episode, Nemesis.

I’m sorry, I mean I would wrestle my trembles to rages and glimpse Fair Haven double six cycles above the dumbfucking Chakotay episode, Nemesis. Fathom?

But at least it's in space. At least there are laser fights. I kept waiting for the Irish people to go berserk or have something at all to do with the plot to the show but it was literally "Janeway programs a handsome dildo"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

But at least it's in space. At least there are laser fights. I kept waiting for the Irish people to go berserk or have something at all to do with the plot to the show but it was literally "Janeway programs a handsome dildo"

Nemesis isn't in space and they use regular guns, I think.

(I actually like that episode :shobon:)

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Gaz-L posted:

Nemesis isn't in space and they use regular guns, I think.

(I actually like that episode :shobon:)

overall I think it's a pretty dull episode but I like the plot device of showing how deeply Chakotay's getting indoctrinated by slowly working in more Vori words until by the end he's yelling about how glimpsing the upturned in the trunks turned his trembles into rages

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It would've been interesting if they had someone with an ear for it write a kind of .....obsolete vernacular.... instead of just taking a thesaurus to standard Trek dialog.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The dialogue in Nemesis makes me feel like I’m having a stroke.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The movie, or the episode?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Chairman posted:

overall I think it's a pretty dull episode but I like the plot device of showing how deeply Chakotay's getting indoctrinated by slowly working in more Vori words until by the end he's yelling about how glimpsing the upturned in the trunks turned his trembles into rages

I like that episode, but I also went through a military indoctrination period so probably a bit of a different perspective.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Gonna guess you didn't like Terra Nova from Enterprise too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Chairman posted:

I feel like Beltran puts in a bit of effort as well, trying to make the most of an interesting premise and a focus on his character.

I'll acknowledge my fondness for it probably comes from it being one of the like, 3 Voyager tapes I had as a kid. (I had that, Caretaker, and I think the one where Tom and Torres get trapped in vacuum in their space suits and admit they're into each other)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

Jesus, poor Garret Wang.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blame People magazine, they were just about to execute him, then they named him one of People's 100 most beautiful and so they wrote off Jennifer Lien instead.

1997 must've been a rough year as far as celebrity beauty went

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Voyager writers: we keep writing nothing for these characters and they suck. what the hell, stupid morons

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

davidspackage posted:

Jesus, poor Garret Wang.

"When his parents met actress Bonnie Franklin at an airport in Hawaii, she told them that Wang would never make it in the business."

The business being acting.

He also apparently tried to watch TNG multiple times before getting onto Voyager and every time he'd try to watch it it was Code of Honor so he bailed.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

HD DAD posted:

tbf this is also how I would have treated Harry if I were writing for the show

nine-gear crow posted:

The movie, or the episode?

¿Por qué no los dos?

CainFortea posted:

I like that episode, but I also went through a military indoctrination period so probably a bit of a different perspective.

Gonna guess you didn't like Terra Nova from Enterprise too.

I’ve seen all of Enterprise twice and I couldn’t remember what episode that was and I just read the whole MA for it and nope didn’t retain a bit of it.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Harry Kim gets on my fuckin nerves because everybody on the show talks about him like he’s 17 when the actor looks 30. Everyone treats him like he’s a Wesley Crusher aged fresh out of the academy babe in the woods but he looks like a grown rear end man. Tom is always acting like Harry is a widdle baby brother when the actors look basically the same age. This also how I feel about Kylo Ren, his parents talk about him like he’s a rebellious teen going through a murder phase when the actor looks close to 40.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Harry Kim gets on my fuckin nerves because everybody on the show talks about him like he’s 17 when the actor looks 30. Everyone treats him like he’s a Wesley Crusher aged fresh out of the academy babe in the woods but he looks like a grown rear end man. Tom is always acting like Harry is a widdle baby brother when the actors look basically the same age. This also how I feel about Kylo Ren, his parents talk about him like he’s a rebellious teen going through a murder phase when the actor looks close to 40.

Kylo is supposed to be a manchild, stuck in an inappropriately prolonged edgy phase of adolescent revolt. The character is 30. His parents are stuck in the past about it because he’s estranged from them and memories of his youth are all they have left.

With Harry it’s far more ridiculous because Voyager is out there for years. Like, even if he had been Wesley at the start, he would still be a grown man by the end of the show. This man spent almost his entire 20s stuck with the same ~100 people and they treat him like the intern right through to the end lmao

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Okay apparently Garrett Wang was 27 at the start of Voyager??? wtf was casting doing?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Blame People magazine, they were just about to execute him, then they named him one of People's 100 most beautiful and so they wrote off Jennifer Lien instead.

Jennifer Lien was going to go away regardless. She received a lot of pressure from producers about maintaining weight, and as a result developed a nasty addiction to diet pills.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Harry Kim got to stay on the show just because he was hot, he’s a proto 7 of 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like Beltran puts in a bit of effort as well, trying to make the most of an interesting premise and a focus on his character.

Well, it was probably the least boring thing the writers room handed him in seven years, so I'd have sunk my teeth in too if I was him.