Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

Is there a good like, bitters or something I can use to substitute expressing a lemon twist in a cocktail? I don’t have lemons on hand a lot of the time and even when I do it seems like a waste to peel one just for one or two cocktails if they don’t actually have lemon juice in them. Is there an oil I can put in an atomizer or a bitters I can use a drop or three of for the same effect?

I was scrounging around the internet earlier and found this https://shoplindenleaf.com/product/cocktail-elements-set/ which is a UK product that's priced fairly normally over there and absurdly on their US web store. But I did find that Caskers drop ships it from a store in (I think) New York for $8.99 each https://www.caskers.com/linden-leaf-cocktail-elements-orange/

edit: Actually it looks like the UK store bottles are 20ml for half the price of the US 50ml bottles so that's even more absurdly priced.

I ordered all 3 kinds from there so whenever it shows up I'll report back. Maybe I'll have to do a side by side with a drink made by normally expressing a peel.

I also found this site which sells various citrus oils but using MCT oil as a carrier instead of alcohol: https://shakerandspoon.com/p/440/grapefruit-oil

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I've never had a ramos from an isi that was anywhere near as good as a hand made one FWIW. Using a cream charger for production of it is mostly a bar scale/necessity thing and you're definitely sacrificing quality to do so. If you're doing it at home, you might like the results of doing it by hand a lot better.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 7, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've never had a ramos from an isi that was anywhere near as good as a hand made one FWIW. Using a cream charger for production of it is mostly a bar scale/necessity thing and you're definitely sacrificing quality to do so. If you're doing it at home, you might like the results of doing it by hand a lot better.

Just shaking is enough to get a foam like that?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ok it looks like mascarpone can only foam with a whipper, not by hand

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

JohnCompany posted:

If it's still winter where you're at, amaro caldos.

I had two of these tonight and they were delicious, A+ recommendation

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Yes. You shake the gently caress out of it, with and without ice.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

This is the technique I’ve found to work best. My wife loves these so much that she’s willing to share the burden of shaking so we just tag in and out. If guests are over they usually find the whole process hilarious and want to join in on the ridiculousness and take turns shaking as well. I’ve found if you shake until all the ice is dissolved and you’re good to go, no need to time it really.

Lucinda Sterling posted:

Add heavy cream to a shaker filled with ice, and egg white to a separate shaker without ice. 
Shake both at the same time until the tin with cream is well chilled. Shake the egg white for a little longer then combine the two in the egg white tin (without ice).
Add lemon juice, lime juice, simple syrup, and gin. 
Add a small handful of pellet ice and shake for as long as you can stand (at least three minutes).
Strain it into a cold fizz glass (or a highball glass).
Place in the fridge for a minute or two.
Top with soda water and finish with orange blossom water.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I might have to swap out the mascarpone for egg whites to get it to work

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What’s a good starter guide on making bitters?

I wanna make goferchan’s rosemary grapefruit bitter

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
“Bitters” by Parsons is a good starting point. There’s also an infusions thread in the GWS archives somewhere.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Scythe posted:

“Bitters” by Parsons is a good starting point. There’s also an infusions thread in the GWS archives somewhere.

I was about to recommend this one, it's good, although I can't help but point out that almost none of the bitters recipes are called for in the cocktail recipes section lol.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

This is the technique I’ve found to work best. My wife loves these so much that she’s willing to share the burden of shaking so we just tag in and out. If guests are over they usually find the whole process hilarious and want to join in on the ridiculousness and take turns shaking as well. I’ve found if you shake until all the ice is dissolved and you’re good to go, no need to time it really.

There is so much voodoo about gin fizzes its insane, and much like egg white cocktails, it's mostly bullshit. What truly matters is that every step in the process is cold and that you shake the drink hard and for a reasonably long time. You don't need to go much longer than a minute, you don't need to do much more than put it all together and shake it. Setting it in the fridge for a minute while you let the foam separate and set helps.

That's really it.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 9, 2023

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

No, but do you actually want that much mousse? It's not really drinkable, and it doesn't convey much flavor as you discovered. It's for show, really. You've fallen prey to an instagram drink made to look and sound good.

Steve Yun posted:

What’s a good starter guide on making bitters?

I wanna make goferchan’s rosemary grapefruit bitter

I was given some excellent advice from the creator of Hella Bitters once: Just make tinctures of all the flavors you want. Blend those tinctures into a bitter with a flavor you enjoy and then reverse engineer how much of each spice is in the recipe. Once you've done that you can begin production of the bitters with everything together. This saves a ton of time because you're looking at *months* of steeping depending on the spices in your recipe, and you'll never make something worth using if you only get to iterate on it 3-4 times a year.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made an Applejack Sazerac

1 oz James Oliver rye
1 oz Lairds Applejack
1/2 oz rich demerara syrup
3 dashes peychauds bitters
Expressed lemon peel
Served up in rocks glass sprayed with Absente 100

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

There is so much voodoo about gin fizzes its insane, and much like egg white cocktails, it's mostly bullshit. What truly matters is that every step in the process is cold and that you shake the drink hard and for a reasonably long time. You don't need to go much longer than a minute, you don't need to do much more than put it all together and shake it. Setting it in the fridge for a minute while you let the foam separate and set helps.

That's really it.

You don't dry shake?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Dry shaking is dumb. Use lots of ice, ideally large cubes, and shake hard. It's not really very complicated.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Using a smaller amount of ice and shaking until it melts is another way of getting the effect of dry shaking. You need to be more precise about the amount of ice you add, but it saves you the extra step. It’s really just a question of how you prefer to control dilution.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So I want to take a stab at this Shelf Stable Falernum recipe:

https://www.proofcocktails.nl/2017/03/09/falernum/

one of the ingredients is Rose's Lime Cordial. By that do they mean Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice? Or something actually labeled Lime Cordial?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Strange Matter posted:

one of the ingredients is Rose's Lime Cordial. By that do they mean Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice? Or something actually labeled Lime Cordial?

Lime Juice Cordial, it’s a different product

https://www.amazon.com/Roses-Lime-Juice-Cordial-33-81fl/dp/B075CS8WF3/

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Strange Matter posted:

When I was making falernum at volume, I generally omitted the lime juice component, keeping the zest, and would add it back in at the cocktail building step. I like to use a microplane for the zest in the recipe to minimize pith and get the oils extracted easier.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I am helping my friend clean up her house for an estate sale and she gave me this

Can I screw on a CO2 charger using the CO2 charger holder from my isi whipping siphon, or is this only meant to go to a hose?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 10, 2023

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tonight I made a Last Shadow:

I used El Dorado 12 and Plantation OFTD, it's excellent though I might up the Fernet to a full tsp next time.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I am helping my friend clean up her house for an estate sale and she gave me this

Can I screw on a CO2 charger using the CO2 charger holder from my isi whipping siphon, or is this only meant to go to a hose?

Google lens shows it's an isi product and is meant to go with cartridges

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nice

It’s decades old so either this will be a fun conversation starter at parties or a glass grenade

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay melona bar turned out to be a hit! The secret was doubling the amount per person

Half of it (one full serving per the original recipe) went into the whipping siphon with mascarpone and turned into foam

The other half left out the mascarpone and didn’t get put into the whipper, got poured under the foam layer, which ended up being enough to be a satisfying drink

Next question: i got asked to make pickle drinks. Is there a version that stands out

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Question for anyone who works at a cocktail/bar and knows the costings.

How much does one pour/shot of milk cost?

All answers from all countries welcome

Wee fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 10, 2023

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Piss Creep posted:

Question for anyone who works at a cocktail/bar and knows the costings.

How much does one pour/shot of milk cost?

All answers from all countries welcome

1.5 oz pour costs 7 cents wholesale in DC right now, using a mid tier supplier and purchasing milk by the gallon.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
This is exactly what Im looking for Australian prices would be best, but all welcome.

Fart Car '97 posted:

1.5 oz pour costs 7 cents wholesale in DC right now, using a mid tier supplier and purchasing milk by the gallon.

Whats the mark up on that when used in say a cocktail?

Wee fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 10, 2023

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Piss Creep posted:

This is exactly what Im looking for Australian prices would be best, but all welcome.

Whats the mark up on that when used in say a cocktail?

Not that simple.
You don't mark up the individual ingredient, you mark up the total cost of the drink. Add together the total cost of each ingredient and make sure it's within the markup margin you decide you need to make a profit. You might adjust the price of the drink up or down a dollar or two but usually you're setting the prices first and then making sure the drink fits within the prices. You aren't going to charge significantly less for a drink because your margins on it are better, because it could devalue the other drinks on your menu and hurt your sales as a whole.

If I were just going to charge for a shot of milk I'd probably charge $2 because the margin itself won't pay for the water it costs to wash the glass.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I'm just not sure how these places stay in business.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
No vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom I bet, either

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

piL posted:

I'm just not sure how these places stay in business.

The one down the street from me survives by being across the road from a highschool and having an onslaught of several thousand ravenous teenagers every afternoon.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
People of all ages need gathering places that don’t primarily serve alcohol

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Maestro posted:

People of all ages need gathering places that don’t primarily serve alcohol

Well that's no fun.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Tonight I made an Applejack Sazerac

1 oz James Oliver rye
1 oz Lairds Applejack
1/2 oz rich demerara syrup
3 dashes peychauds bitters
Expressed lemon peel
Served up in rocks glass sprayed with Absente 100

Sorry this is so late, but consider making two swaps on this: Maple syrup for the demerara, and an apple slice on a skewer as garnish. It's really tasty, especially in the fall, and is still close to being a regular Sazerac while also playing up the apple flavor more prominently.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

1/2 oz rich simple seems like a bit much for a drink with no acidity or amaros, no bitterness beyond a few dashes of peychauds, doesn't it?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I like em sweet

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I like to keep 1.5 liter bottles of essential basic liquors to make big batches of cocktails for parties; gin, vodka, tequila, etc

Should I have both whiskey and bourbon or are they close enough that I can just get one to do double duty

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

If you have bourbon, you have both whiskey and bourbon, since bourbon is a type of whiskey. I like to keep both rye and bourbon on hand since drinks will usually prefer one or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I got a handle of Wild Turkey 101 years ago and it’s great to have on hand.