Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Morpheus posted:

If you think I am going to cut up my precious board game boxes then you are as Insane as this man is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Morpheus posted:

If you think I am going to cut up my precious board game boxes then you are as Insane as this man is
I can handle that part. It's the "just throw all this poo poo in the box" part that is killing me.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm still looking for where I placed broom service.

Inside Witches Brew?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

I can handle that part. It's the "just throw all this poo poo in the box" part that is killing me.

Yea I'm having a visceral reaction to this video. It's exactly opposite to what I did with Furnace (albeit I also have the mat) which is to make a lay-and-play insert that takes up the whole box.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Is it uncouth to crosspost SA-Mart? I'm getting rid of some games and a play mat.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029475

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Spiteski posted:

Yea I'm having a visceral reaction to this video. It's exactly opposite to what I did with Furnace (albeit I also have the mat) which is to make a lay-and-play insert that takes up the whole box.

I must've gotten a different edition of Furnace - mine already comes with slots to place the tokens (and the 2 slot is a little deeper for the extra beige token), one for cards, even a little place for the die used in 2-player games.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Beast just rocked up, and took a little bit of creative repacking to fit everything back in the box once everything was sleeved, but it all fit.

Only waiting on Goon project Heckin Hounds to rock up and that's me done and dusted with all outstanding Kickstarters.
Also don't really need anything major to fill out my collection, and it's pretty much just Lords of Vegas, so it's probably time for some kallax reorganising.

1 vs Many Hidden Movement games are my only soft spot, so I am eyeing Terrorscape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi1FR8yyH_k

It does look pretty fun and flips the script a bit by having the murderer being the one visible, and the victims hidden.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Is it uncouth to crosspost SA-Mart? I'm getting rid of some games and a play mat.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029475

Not at all! In fact, it's probably best to do so rather than have sales stuff in the thread, because it adds the protection of the SA-Mart rules.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Goddamn you Infinitum, I've got the OG RA and now you've got me fiending for the new one. This hobby is not a hobby, it's a FOMO experience generator.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

This hobby is not a hobby, it's a FOMO experience generator.

Every time I think I have broken free of samsara, I am tempted once again by a KS dexterity game with cute cat meeples.

I will continue dreaming of the day there's a new animeeples game that is cool and good

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I also purchased Ra Deluxe at like 12:30am a few nights ago thanks to the big jerk Infinitum.

Looking forward to it!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Infinitum posted:

Only waiting on Goon project Heckin Hounds to rock up and that's me done and dusted with all outstanding Kickstarters.

We're on a boat, which means it's so close to being ready for fulfillment. I'm so excited :dance:

It's been so much waiting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Goddamn you Infinitum, I've got the OG RA and now you've got me fiending for the new one. This hobby is not a hobby, it's a FOMO experience generator.

I went to a board game store expecting to walk out with one purchase. I instead, thanks to the fact that I wasn't going to be visiting this store for quite some time, walked out with expansions for Vitticulture, Cat Lady, and Great Western Trail, in addition to two Exit games, Furnace, and Cartographers.

Oops!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Morpheus posted:

I went to a board game store expecting to walk out with one purchase. I instead, thanks to the fact that I wasn't going to be visiting this store for quite some time, walked out with expansions for Vitticulture, Cat Lady, and Great Western Trail, in addition to two Exit games, Furnace, and Cartographers.

Oops!

Keeping your FLGS in business, well done. Is Furnace good?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's a pretty solid mid-light game with a clever auction system and simultaneous resolution phase where you do all the resource converting and point generation.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I want Furnace auction mechanic in a better game.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

djfooboo posted:

I feel the same about Tramways.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Oops!

:sickos:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

djfooboo posted:

Hello have you heard of Vanuatu

E: I guess it’s not quite the same since you don’t get the bonus for not winning

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love Furnace but I think you kind of have to play with the rule where when you get a card you place it immediately and can't move it. Without it you spend too much time playing a barebones engine builder when you should be playing a great auction game.

Chill la Chill posted:

Hello have you heard of Vanuatu

E: I guess it’s not quite the same since you don’t get the bonus for not winning

Yea the bonus for not winning is what makes Furnace so good.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

djfooboo posted:

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

an actual dog posted:

I love Furnace but I think you kind of have to play with the rule where when you get a card you place it immediately and can't move it. Without it you spend too much time playing a barebones engine builder when you should be playing a great auction game.

Yea the bonus for not winning is what makes Furnace so good.

I hadn’t heard of that rule, but I think that would have made me enjoy the game a lot more.

Unfortunately, I don’t think my group would play with it because my friend who owns it is generally a pretty big fan of light engine builders.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Over the weekend I played:

Betrayal Legacy, rounds 5 and 6. They were both fun, and extremely close. We started off with the haunt with the mirror-people. Due to some incredible rolls, every other innocent got turned in the same round. Due to yet more incredible rolls, I was able to delete like 9 mirror-monsters in one go, and close the portal. The second scenario had no traitor, just everyone cooperating to cure the terrible disease we all had. Again, we had some very careful decisions, managing everyone's health pools and just barely eking out a win.
Ra, with the giant bag. A first play, which began with the host unsealing the box and reading the instructions aloud, but it was simple enough to get through that. There's a sort of collective push-your-luck thing going on, where you want to keep adding tiles to the next auction (because adding tiles just feels good), but sometimes you want to keep the pot small enough that no-one feels like outbidding you. Very satisfying tactilely, and also an incredibly easy game to set up and tear down, in spite of all the stuff in it.
Isle of Cats. Tile placement game where you have to fill your tableau carefully, while also going for public and private objectives. I did well, in spite of not paying attention to private objectives until the game was close to over. Feels like a game that really changes as you get to know the cards likely to come up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The family mode for Isle of Cats is good as a simple tile laying game too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

garthoneeye posted:

I hadn’t heard of that rule, but I think that would have made me enjoy the game a lot more.

Unfortunately, I don’t think my group would play with it because my friend who owns it is generally a pretty big fan of light engine builders.

It's a variant listed in the manual but honestly it should be the default. It's way more of a brain burner during the auction phase when you have to consider where things are going because they aren't moving. Otherwise the phase afterwards when you resolve your engine would take forever.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The family mode for Isle of Cats is good as a simple tile laying game too.

I really liked the "draw and explore" version. A very nice randomizer mechanism for scoring.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Surprising probably nobody, there were a lot of claims on Bloodborne, Dark Souls and Sword and Sorcery in the free game giveaway for staff.

I won out on this one. As you can see, it was absolutely not in a sellable state. Not sure when I'll be able to get around to it, I've been covering a lot of shifts at work lately to replace a warped rotor in my car, and this game looks like a lot.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Chill la Chill posted:

Every time I think I have broken free of samsara, I am tempted once again by a KS dexterity game with cute cat meeples.
Hello, fellow Nekojima backer.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
In case any of the old BSG crowd still frequents this thread and wants to join back up, I made a new discussion thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029767

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
don't really post in this thread ever, hopefully i'm not steppin on toes. i found these plastic stones in a bag in my house, anyone know if these go to a board game or something?

edit: if it helps, these are double sided, second pic is flipped over.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 16, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

don't really post in this thread ever, hopefully i'm not steppin on toes. i found these plastic stones in a bag in my house, anyone know if these go to a board game or something?

Welcome to the thread! They do look like game pieces, but I've never seen those before to my memory.

If no one here recognizes them, what you could do is post it to the BoardGameGeek forums. In a way similar to something like Tip of my Joystick, they often have posts being like "I found this game piece under the bookshelf, but I don't recognize it." or something. Here's a recent example: Help to identify old war game pieces. In this case someone responded in literally five minutes. The alacrity at which BBG users will typically respond with the answer always amazes me.

With permission, I could also post this question there if you don't want to be bothered.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Uh oh, looks like someone's been casting runes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i thought runes as well, but some of the symbols seem too modern for that maybe?

Magnetic North posted:

Welcome to the thread! They do look like game pieces, but I've never seen those before to my memory.

If no one here recognizes them, what you could do is post it to the BoardGameGeek forums. In a way similar to something like Tip of my Joystick, they often have posts being like "I found this game piece under the bookshelf, but I don't recognize it." or something. Here's a recent example: Help to identify old war game pieces. In this case someone responded in literally five minutes. The alacrity at which BBG users will typically respond with the answer always amazes me.

With permission, I could also post this question there if you don't want to be bothered.

thanks! yeah if no one here knows in a day or two, bgg was my next idea. if you feel like posting for me, go right ahead. appreciate it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

thanks! yeah if no one here knows in a day or two, bgg was my next idea. if you feel like posting for me, go right ahead. appreciate it.

BGG Thread here. Let's see if they can live up to my expectations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I know a common item of bookstore schlock is bags full of "divination runes". These look like something of that nature - maybe veering more modern instead of more Norse?

xarhtna
Jun 27, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

edit: if it helps, these are double sided, second pic is flipped over.

Looks like its from this book

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266161937726

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How in the hell did you find that, lol

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

What they put me in mind of is the "story cubes" or story dice you see used to generate creative writing prompts, but in the form of something you'd draw from a bag instead of rolling.

Edit: beaten, and looks like I wasnt far off!

xarhtna
Jun 27, 2008

silvergoose posted:

How in the hell did you find that, lol

Searched the second image in google, google lens had a match from the mask looking piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
haha, rad. thanks y'all. I also had a suspicion it might be something like story cubes, but wasn't sure how to dig for it.