Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Imagine seeing a cop car with a Mythosaur decal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Ok, another bright point I forgot about in Bad Batch is Omega's Kiwi eeksint. I unironically love how it's a signifier of purestrain Jango blood, like it's genetically encoded or something.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

Imagine seeing a cop car with a Mythosaur decal.

With a thin blue linelightsaber blade going across it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Did they ever say straight up that the actual OG babu would appear in this season? It seems like it was reported as though they did but I'm not finding an original source. I was just thinking about it and realized none of the quasi babus on the carl weathers planet really seemed to be him.

I guess he could still show up in the final stretch here but basically I'm worried there might have been some false advertising

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

Did they ever say straight up that the actual OG babu would appear in this season? It seems like it was reported as though they did but I'm not finding an original source. I was just thinking about it and realized none of the quasi babus on the carl weathers planet really seemed to be him.

I guess he could still show up in the final stretch here but basically I'm worried there might have been some false advertising

I think it was probably someone seeing something about the Babu Frik guys and just assuming that one of them was Babu Frik.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Killer robot posted:

Decepticon logo

megatron was a freedom fighter trying to free his people from autobot oppression

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
he was also insane. hell maybe he still is.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Jehde posted:

With a thin blue linelightsaber blade going across it.

Specifically choosing the Rebels lightsaber blade design just to provoke the populace.

Side note: Since Ahkosha looks like it’s going to be the live action continuation of Rebels, we won’t see an updated version of the cartoon’s art style. I’d like to see another story told in that style with Bad Batch level animation.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Babu Frik does show up in the finale, passing through Navarro - but he's in his stretch limo the entire time and the windows have black out tint - he does pop out of the sun roof to say "Wahhhh! ha ha ha! Ba Chuda!!" to his fellow babus frik but thats it. He's wearing dark sun glasses the whole time cuz his eyes are bloodshot.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I think it was probably someone seeing something about the Babu Frik guys and just assuming that one of them was Babu Frik.

If that's what happened, I still feel like it's borderline shady of disney to let all those stories run and not set the record straight. That doesn't seem like they would let it fly with a human character.

We'll see how the end of the season shakes out, but seems like high potential to leave a bad taste in my mouth

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like to think that Lizzo just showed up for work dressed like that and they took one look and threw out their previous costume plans.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

I think this is the particular sticking point because the connection between stormtrooper imagery and supporting fascist causes is, to me, an absolutely baseless leap. Their design was also strongly influenced by samurai armour and long ago became such an instantly recognisable pop culture icon totally separate from the film context, and even then the first thing that comes to mind about stormtroopers for most non-terminally online people are "oh those cannon fodder mooks with bad aim".

They've been sanitised and cleansed to the point that I'm currently surrounded by numerous little plastic space nazis and on Friday bought and enjoyed building myself a representation of a space nazi spaceship which in-universe committed numerous genocidal atrocities. It even came with a cute little space hitler. It's a Lego TIE Bomber. I don't think having this stuff makes me problematic.

Maybe I am speaking in my ignorance and privilege as someone who doesn't generally present in a way that would invite discrimination but it seems to me making such a strong negative assumption about such a huge group of cosplayers without any actual evidence, circumstantial or otherwise, that they're doing it as an acceptable outward show of fascist tendencies is causing yourself unnecessary stress, to bring it back to OP for who an uneventful lift ride with a stormtrooper cosplayer was a traumatic event.

Someone who is a member of a group subject to tremendous threat of violence, and currently facing a realistic possibility of being banned from using public restrooms in parts of the US and Britain, expressed uneasiness at being alone with a Stormtrooper cosplayer in an elevator because of what the Stormtroopers represent in the fiction.

Responding to their sharing that with “how dare you discriminate against Stormtrooper cosplayers” minimizes their concerns in two ways, because you didn’t just show more concern for the cosplayer than the transperson, you also equated the discrimination faced by transpeople with the discrimination faced by Stormtrooper cosplayers.

Is there any comparable discrimination? “Dorks” may face increased risks of being bullied, but they aren’t likely to get murdered. That Mandalorian cosplayer in Boston who had the cops called on them for carrying a weapon didn’t get tazed or shot. Someone who has good reason to fear violence from strangers is allowed to have that fear even if the stranger is cosplaying without facing accusations of “bigotry” against a group that has not, historically or presently, faced anything comparable in terms of violence or prejudice.

Cosplayers are a diverse group. I don’t know how many transStormtrooper cosplayers there are, but probably there are some. Are there more of them than Stormtrooper cosplayers who might be violent towards transpeople if given the chance? Why would these questions matter more than the real and frequent violence transpeople face, even in these more tolerant times? OP said “I felt uncomfortable being alone with this cosplayer,” not “anyone cosplaying as a Stormtrooper is a nazi,” and turning the whole discussion into a defense of Stormtrooper cosplayers seems overly dismissive of the instincts of the only person who was there in the name of defending a group of people who don’t need the help. Nobody is suggesting we should ban Stormtrooper cosplayers from restroom usage or direct violence at them or discriminate against them. Nobody who is pro- “punch nazis” is arguing “punch Stormtrooper cosplayers, just in case.” If you’re going to dress up in a Stormtrooper costume, it’s on you to make people around you feel safe, not endangered; that’s true especially if you’re armed, even if the weapon is a fake. I’m guessing our 501st member ITT could share a bit about how to do that. I’d much rather hear about that than going in circles about cosplay discrimination.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Smythe posted:

some gamorreans might be dad bod style guys or maybe even fat as poo poo guys and some might be buff guys. or gals for that matter. like ppl. gamoreans are ppl too. or maybe this is human centeric thinking like kirk got roasted for in undiscovered country (?) .... much to consider

I've seen people ask why most Twi'leks are beautiful and looked nothing like Bib Fortuna.

Poor bastard was just ugly :shrug:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Non spoilery, but I was delightfully surprised to see Charles Parnell pop up in my Star Wars.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've seen people ask why most Twi'leks are beautiful and looked nothing like Bib Fortuna.

Poor bastard was just ugly :shrug:

The bigger question is why the senator has four lekku and no other Twi'lek does.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lmao did they cook that giant baby chicken rotisserie style?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The bigger question is why the senator has four lekku and no other Twi'lek does.

Shows dominance

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Narsham posted:

I don’t know how many transStormtrooper cosplayers there are, but probably there are some.

I’m trans and have cosplayed as a Stormtrooper, although only prior to coming out. As someone who was really not happy with my pre-transition appearance, one of the things I enjoyed about the costume was that it was fully concealing. And I didn’t really imagine I was embodying fascist terror in the suit — the popular conception of the Stormtrooper was then and remains today that of the bumbling, incompetent mook. Which is something that’s easy to play up in costume, because the helmets tend to have poor visibility and kill your peripheral vision.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I didn't know I needed Grogu in a IG shell, but here we are.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cheesus posted:

"Think of the toys sell!" and here we are.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Necrothatcher posted:

Lmao did they cook that giant baby chicken rotisserie style?

Foundlings are delicious and nutricious

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Okay, I wasn’t expecting Pellaeon to show up, and then see it was Xander Berkeley of all people in the credits.

Once again, I am entertained by this show.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
That was so dumb. I enjoyed that so much. Bring on next week already.

Also, there's got to be some metaphor here about Disney literally hollowing out a character from the Empire Strikes Back so that Baby Yoda can drive them around like a truck.

dingo with a joint fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 12, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

dingo with a joint posted:

Also, there's got to be some metaphor here about Disney literally hollowing out a character from the Empire Strikes Back so that Baby Yoda can drive them around like a truck.

Grogu needs a Gundam, or by next season, an AT-ST.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That was a really ridiculous episode in a dumb Star Wars kind of way. They overloaded that episode with way too much stuff, I mean we got Grogu Mech, Mandalorian land sail boats, space Godzilla, Beskar Stormtroopers, Darth Gideon and Praetorian Guards. The only thing they can do in the finale to top that off and probably save everyone is Ahsoka and Luke gotta show up. Grogu probably gonna call out for them to come save his dad and you know Ahsoka wants some of that Moff Gideon.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Also, I predict that the Armorer is on the level. She’s flying to the Mando fleet when Gideon orders the TIEs to ambush them. She’ll be put into some kind of crisis situation where she has a ship full of wounded and has to make a fight or flight decision.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Maligu Stacy has a new hat

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, I predict that the Armorer is on the level. She’s flying to the Mando fleet when Gideon orders the TIEs to ambush them. She’ll be put into some kind of crisis situation where she has a ship full of wounded and has to make a fight or flight decision.

I figured she'd already arrived, based on her hailing the cruiser to prepare for wounded. The other thing that confused me was whats his face leaving to call for reinforcements, but they have no ship and they can't communicate with each other because of the atmosphere disruption, so what exactly is his plan? Just leaving all these people on the ground with no way to communicate or get off the planet sure seems like a good idea.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

That was a good ep

I reckon the Mythosaur will play a role in defeating Moff, I reckon he'll remove Mandos helmet for Ped to get his contracted face time AND I reckon Grogu will say yes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ratjaculation posted:

That was a good ep

I reckon the Mythosaur will play a role in defeating Moff, I reckon he'll remove Mandos helmet for Ped to get his contracted face time AND I reckon Grogu will say yes

Mytho kinda owes them one after that rude display

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Ratjaculation posted:

That was a good ep

Yea, that could definitely happen. While the Mandalorians in space have a big space battle and eventually win out for whatever reason (they seem really outgunned), the Mythosaur shows up just in time to crush the space base and everyone within. Maybe Bo even goes and gets it and it follows her for whatever reason.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think this episode sealed it for me. If this is the standard of writing and hammy acting they're going for then this show should have been animated. It's already a cartoon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One criticism with this episode is you really can tell when they're using the Volume poorly. The cinematography notably changes when they get into the Imperial base and it's all enclosed corridors.

That was indeed a good episode :allears:.

Cheesus posted:

YES. YES. YES. YES.

ShowTime posted:

I figured she'd already arrived, based on her hailing the cruiser to prepare for wounded. The other thing that confused me was whats his face leaving to call for reinforcements, but they have no ship and they can't communicate with each other because of the atmosphere disruption, so what exactly is his plan? Just leaving all these people on the ground with no way to communicate or get off the planet sure seems like a good idea.

I assumed he'd gonna fly up to the fleet with his Jetpack, or at least above the cloudline to get a signal out.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arc Hammer posted:

I think this episode sealed it for me. If this is the standard of writing and hammy acting they're going for then this show should have been animated. It's already a cartoon.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://deadline.com/2023/04/wes-chatham-ahsoka-disney-1235322615/

Wes Chatham is going to be part of team Thrawn

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Huh, late addition as in just recently voice cast, or just recently revealed as having been a live action cast member. They often reveal live action cast late (or never until the episode airs), but I wonder if he's possibly a new Rukh version 2.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The article says he's in the show as Thrawns right-hand man. So maybe someone new or just Rukh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Please, if it's Wes Chatham he'll be playing That Guy. He is That Guy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Vintersorg posted:

The article says he's in the show as Thrawns right-hand man. So maybe someone new or just Rukh.

Rukh dead and crispy, so it'd have to be a different Noghri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh yeah!