Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looking down at my 'morbid obesity vs boot camp weight loss' cross reference chart then back up at the new recruits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

there was always some wiggle. we even had a couple of color blind guys at the which was a problem when they went to get licensed because navigational lights. it’s not all fat, a whole bunch of things are disqualifying.

it’s not dissimilar to the larger trend in society all the wiggle in requirements for just about everything is going away.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
All the slack that allowed a poorly designed society to function is being removed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

More like you can only recruit from the population you have and if you have a hosed up sick society you'll have a correspondingly hosed up sick recruiting pool

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

lobster shirt posted:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2023/04/10/the-genesis-of-todays-recruiting-crisis/

basically the military, taking advantage of obamacare-mandated electronic medical records and the increasing panopticon we all live under, now has much deeper and more comprehensive access to prospective enlistees medical records. americans, being on the whole a very sick people, are increasingly disqualified, and there's no way around it anymore lol.

lol that the military has less sense than a smol business tyrant running a restaurant. You can't look too hard at who shows up because eventually you're gonna find something you have to act on, so don't drug test anybody.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

skooma512 posted:

lol that the military has less sense than a smol business tyrant running a restaurant. You can't look too hard at who shows up because eventually you're gonna find something you have to act on, so don't drug test anybody.

If you can’t hire anybody to be a fry cook because nobody can piss clean, you don’t close down the restaurant, you either stop testing or look the other way when they bring in that synthetic stuff.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1645909043200884737

that'll show 'em

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
gladieaux

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2023/04/10/the-genesis-of-todays-recruiting-crisis/

basically the military, taking advantage of obamacare-mandated electronic medical records and the increasing panopticon we all live under, now has much deeper and more comprehensive access to prospective enlistees medical records. americans, being on the whole a very sick people, are increasingly disqualified, and there's no way around it anymore lol.

can't find it but there was some recruiter upset that a dude in a chicken costume flipping a sign in 90 degree heat gave him the finger rather than listen to a recruiting spiel

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

redneck nazgul posted:

can't find it but there was some recruiter upset that a dude in a chicken costume flipping a sign in 90 degree heat gave him the finger rather than listen to a recruiting spiel

Son do you want to spend the rest of your life out here, sweating your balls off, dying of heat, spinning signs for *spits* fried chicken

or do you want to do something real

something meaningful

something that will change you

into a corpse in the woods outside fort bragg in ten months

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

skooma512 posted:

Company and battalion commanders absolutely understand this concept lol can't find what you don't look for, problem solved

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

reddit island

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Anecdotal, most SF guys or at least a large minority have ADHD, a disqualifying condition, and a lot of people have had at least one concussion in their life, so yeah everyone is lying all the time because medicals would disqualify fit motivated kids if they played by the book

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Why is it all in english?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Like the Baltics, states that exist to project US power have a weird identity and are always testing “talk poo poo get hit”

Even the “native bear” belies that considering the history of the KMT in Formosa.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

yellowcar posted:

reddit island

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

From the people who brought you the Hong Kong protests and the Milk Tea Alliance, it's time to introduce you to Two Bears High-Fiving Each Other.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Anecdotal, most SF guys or at least a large minority have ADHD, a disqualifying condition, and a lot of people have had at least one concussion in their life, so yeah everyone is lying all the time because medicals would disqualify fit motivated kids if they played by the book

Wow ADHD makes you predisposed to war crimes

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hubbert posted:

From the people who brought you the Hong Kong protests and the Milk Tea Alliance, it's time to introduce you to Two Bears High-Fiving Each Other.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

This makes me think we need to build more Tesla Tanks

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KomradeX posted:

This makes me think we need to build more Tesla Tanks

Two barrels on a t62 would've worked if they just tried more dammit

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

KomradeX posted:

Wow ADHD makes you predisposed to war crimes

not when properly medicated

Frosted Flake posted:

adhd is not disqualifying on its own at the moment. diagnosed adhd does not even require a waiver now i guess? it's gone through a few iterations but at the moment it's only disqualifying if you've taken medication within the past 24 months, had below a 2.0 gpa when unmedicated?? (is this even checked if you dont have diagnosed adhd?), or your doctor has not specified that medication is necessary for work/blah blah. it was at one point i think not even waiverable if you had taken adhd medication over age 14? also, depending, getting prescribed adhd medication after actually enlisting is totally fine? or used to be. maybe it isn't anymore.

i genuinely wonder how much of the "only 14% of american kids are fit to serve!" thing is due to kids being fat and broken and how much of it is from disqualifying people over stupid medical poo poo. or maybe recruiters stopped telling kids to lie about the dumb things so they could get through meps

i had a big rear end dod medical exam because i almost made a very dumb decision in high school. the actual list of things to be examined included some weird poo poo i've never seen on a physical exam before or since and don't actually seem like something you need to check on teenagers

my examiner did not actually check my anus and rectum for whatever reason but also did not check the mandatory anus check box (the eye examiner was cool and told me i had mild astigmatism but did not put that on the sheet). in the end I never did get my mandatory anus examination and did not make a foolish decision thanks to that doctor. i like to think he knew he was doing me a favor

also that exam required absolutely every scrap of medical information on record and any kind of medical thing that happened required more documentation and explanation. uncomplicated appendectomy? little minor parasite infection? had to get stitches on a finger?

the list of disqualifications grows more than it shrinks and the ever expanding panopticon means that recruits can't hide dumb poo poo that doesnt matter from meps. that's a good thing and inshallah the us military will keep strangling its own recruiting pipeline

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I had to go through an appeal to sign up too, lost a year of my career I would have been at RMC.

Considering the military will almost immediately injure you in ways that accumulate over your career, or lol suddenly and traumatically, I don't get it. Either accept people will game the medical (and encourage recruiters to tip them off), or do away with requirements that would not prevent them from completing training.

For example, depression is now something that can get you screened out, but from talking to younger relatives and my friends' kids, pretty much all people in their teens and early twenties have at least some symptoms of depression, some of the time. A career, duty, purpose, physical exercise, good food, would almost certainly help, so why are we treating that as a chronic and disqualifying condition and not just... this is what life is like for young people in our monstrous society?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

I had to go through an appeal to sign up too, lost a year of my career I would have been at RMC.

Considering the military will almost immediately injure you in ways that accumulate over your career, or lol suddenly and traumatically, I don't get it. Either accept people will game the medical (and encourage recruiters to tip them off), or do away with requirements that would not prevent them from completing training.

For example, depression is now something that can get you screened out, but from talking to younger relatives and my friends' kids, pretty much all people in their teens and early twenties have at least some symptoms of depression, some of the time. A career, duty, purpose, physical exercise, good food, would almost certainly help, so why are we treating that as a chronic and disqualifying condition and not just... this is what life is like for young people in our monstrous society?

yep. it's utterly bizarre. im guessing there's some liability minimization that drives whoever the hell makes up the medical disqualifications and then the rest is military beaurocracy being military beaurocracy. im sure some one in the department of "wait where the gently caress did all the potential soldiers go" knows what the problem is. or maybe not? the dodmerb examination form still has bizarre checks that look like they're still from the '70s (did this person you observed for 5 minutes exhibit a personality defect? if so check this box)

now kinda curious what china considers fit for enlistment and how its accumulated beaurocratic cruft compares.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There are guys with one leg working HQ and school jobs and Battalion is filled with guys with crippling PTSD. On the other hand, I know an honest to God operator who was discharged for developed lactose and gluten intolerance.

Recruitment and retention are the two biggest deficiencies and the medical side bears that out.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The military is always happy to lower recruitment standards during a shooting war, though. The fact that they aren't doing so right now leads me to believe that this is just a lot of top brass complaining to get increased budgets, much like the police are always complaining about how hard it is on the mean streets and they need to cut funding to the schools to get all new SUVs for the department.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

On the other hand, I know an honest to God operator who was discharged for developed lactose and gluten intolerance.

Sucks that they can't consume anymore fresh breast milk from women that gives sick gains.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
what

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Special Forces soldiers warned to stop drinking 'unsafe' breast milk sold online

quote:

Experts warn of risks of Special Forces drinking human milk bought on eBay to help them keep fit, get big muscles and avoid injury after commando gets hepatitis

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The US Army's special Milk Troops

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

getting ready for a career at Blizzard

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lmao jesus christ

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
least psycho thing they'll ever do

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

glad its this and not another weird freakazoid popping up in cspam

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I swear I remember reading something like this some time ago

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

now kinda curious what china considers fit for enlistment and how its accumulated beaurocratic cruft compares.

iirc china's present problem is that they have too many people trying to enlist into all branches of the pla so they have let go quite a few people around enlistment season

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Danann posted:

iirc china's present problem is that they have too many people trying to enlist into all branches of the pla so they have let go quite a few people around enlistment season

ah, well

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

"my weakness is that I am too much of a people person"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

lol the idea of sabre rattling, out of the blue by the way, China hasn't done anything the public cares about, while our countries are in the state they're in remains hilarious.

Idk, I'm sure they think they can rerun the Ukraine playbook, but I don't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sir did you not see the terror balloon?