Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Oxxidation posted:

the dlc makes me think that id had the wrong idea about what made eternal good

I bought the first DLC and never got around to finishing it. It's like Kaizo Doom Eternal, something for people who mastered the base game and wanted a ridiculous challenge when ordinary Nightmare was too easy. I kind of respect the decision but I don't think the average player would enjoy it much, I gave up after dying about 30 times on a fight in the swamp that had multiple Cyberdemons and a possessed Hell Baron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You could lower the difficulty setting?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The second DLC is both easier and more fun, in my opinion.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jack Trades posted:

You could lower the difficulty setting?

Never

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

The second DLC is both easier and more fun, in my opinion.

I agree. The only part of Doom Eternal I didn't like was the final boss of the first DLC. Frankly, it was just way too much poo poo cramped into one room.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

The 7th Guest posted:

as a Frogwares enjoyer, I never thought this day would come...

a Frogwares game actually getting a good Metacritic score

I played the original on PC back in the day, and had a bug where only characters’ eyes and teeth rendered, floating in the air. Spent at least a quarter of the game playing like that before it was patched and it was still rad. The remake seems like it will be better in a lot of ways, I’m excited to play it.

Frogwares give me a legacy eyes and teeth mode

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Every game without Creepy Watson being right there just behind you is a game wasted.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Pirate Captain posted:

I played the original on PC back in the day, and had a bug where only characters’ eyes and teeth rendered, floating in the air. Spent at least a quarter of the game playing like that before it was patched and it was still rad. The remake seems like it will be better in a lot of ways, I’m excited to play it.

Frogwares give me a legacy eyes and teeth mode

AssCreed Unity got you covered.

Orv
May 4, 2011
And now I’m aware of my teeth, hate that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Eternal is a phenomenal game for the steam deck, that engine runs like a dream no matter what the gameplay is.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

It's kind of incredible that this ends up being one of their better received games after the fiasco with the publisher and then Ukraine. Good for them

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

HopperUK posted:

Every game without Creepy Watson being right there just behind you is a game wasted.

Goddamn it, Creepy Watson should be in every game.

Every time you maneuver your ship 180° in Everspace 2, Watson just behind you in a tweed astronaut suit…

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DerekSmartymans posted:

Goddamn it, Creepy Watson should be in every game.

Every time you maneuver your ship 180° in Everspace 2, Watson just behind you in a tweed astronaut suit…

Maybe he is. Maybe in most games he's just fast enough to stay behind you.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

The 7th Guest posted:

I'm enjoying the remake so far! I'm only like three hours in (and the movement and interaction as as clunky and lunging as ever) but once I got over the initial frustration, I settled in for good times. It's the same engine and gameplay style that they used in Chapter One. I'm hoping they'll leave out the combat.

One thing, though: there's a 'How To Play' section in the save menu. The player needs to read this. There aren't really any in-game tutorials and the tooltips that pop up only explain about half the process.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Picayune posted:

I'm enjoying the remake so far! I'm only like three hours in (and the movement and interaction as as clunky and lunging as ever) but once I got over the initial frustration, I settled in for good times. It's the same engine and gameplay style that they used in Chapter One. I'm hoping they'll leave out the combat.

One thing, though: there's a 'How To Play' section in the save menu. The player needs to read this. There aren't really any in-game tutorials and the tooltips that pop up only explain about half the process.

I only played Crime and Punishments. I left off at the end of the 3rd case but how similar to that is this? I mainly liked that it made you do try to figure out the mystery by combining facts and even threw in some Red Herrings to keep you on your feet.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I also enjoyed Crimes and punishments a lot, it actually felt like detective work and.. well, like Sherlock Holmes. I do want to know if there is stupid poo poo like combat in the Awakened remake before trying, though.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Unlucky7 posted:

I only played Crime and Punishments. I left off at the end of the 3rd case but how similar to that is this? I mainly liked that it made you do try to figure out the mystery by combining facts and even threw in some Red Herrings to keep you on your feet.

You do investigate and pick up facts and link them together in your mind, using the clues you find to build a mental 'image' of the crime in progress, which is pretty cool. You also do very Sherlock things like look at people and discover bits of dust on their shoes or ink stains on their fingers or whatever and then use these scraps of information to decide what the person is like - is he a Saboteur or a Well-Meaning Idiot? There are lots of small side mysteries to figure out, too; it's not an open-world game, but the areas are pretty large and full of small events.

It's not exactly like Crime and Punishment, but it does feel reasonably Sherlock-y to me. However, the actual deduction gameplay is a bit clunky and not all that well explained.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Jesus Christ, need some help here.

Steam did that weird hiccup it often does where it 'forgets' where a library folder is. No dramas, just went back and pointed it back to the missing one. Except now nothing on Proton will launch, regardless on install location, not even spitting out a log for PROTON_LOG=1 (the compatdata folders regenerate, but empty). I have full permissions to all these folders, they are ext4 not nfts, etc. It's rapidly approaching "flatten OS and reinstall" levels here.

I know Linux stuff is outside the scope of this thread a bit, but I'm rather alarmed and there really isn't a good place to get help on the net about this except maybe reddit or github, which are stretches. Am panicking at the thought of having lost thousands of dollars of goods and there isn't even a bloody phone number to call.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Serephina posted:

Steam did that weird hiccup it often does where it 'forgets' where a library folder is. No dramas, just went back and pointed it back to the missing one. Except now nothing on Proton will launch, regardless on install location, not even spitting out a log for PROTON_LOG=1 (the compatdata folders regenerate, but empty). I have full permissions to all these folders, they are ext4 not nfts, etc. It's rapidly approaching "flatten OS and reinstall" levels here.

I know Linux stuff is outside the scope of this thread a bit, but I'm rather alarmed and there really isn't a good place to get help on the net about this except maybe reddit or github, which are stretches. Am panicking at the thought of having lost thousands of dollars of goods and there isn't even a bloody phone number to call.

Maybe ask in the Deck thread as well? Some of the folk in there are experts with Proton.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-easter-bundle-2023
Build your own Easter bundle on Fanatical

1 for $1/5 for $2.99/10 for $4.99

quote:

Beholgar
Mindustry
Osteoblasts
Beautiful Desolation
Startup Panic
Professor Lupo and his horrible Pets
Discolored
Twilight Town: A Cyberpunk Day in the life of
TACOMA
klocki
The divine invasion
Instant Farmer
Hook
Goosebumps the game
Garage Games triple pack (Air Threat/ORBITAL/Cold Blooded Cube)

Msytery Egg Bundle
Up to 20 ~mystery~ keys for $13.49
https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/mystery-egg-bundle

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
That hybrid Sci-Fi map-painter/visual novel game I really liked during NextFest, Lightracer Spark just released, if by released you mean "selling the 1st chapter/planet, which is now completed, with later chapters to be sold as DLC". I'm torn because this is a really annoying business model and the strategy elements weren't THAT great, but on the other hand it was a really cool idea and it's only $12, so I'll probably bite the bullet.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 12, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

fit em all up in there posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-easter-bundle-2023
Build your own Easter bundle on Fanatical

1 for $1/5 for $2.99/10 for $4.99

Tangentially related, but I feel like every fanatical bundle is full of games I've never heard of, despite reading the steam thread daily for... Years. The only game I recognise from that bundle is TACOMA, which came out in 2017.

I don't know if that speaks to the overabundance of indie games, a decline in the quality of bundles, or that we're all collectively out of touch.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Tangentially related, but I feel like every fanatical bundle is full of games I've never heard of, despite reading the steam thread daily for... Years. The only game I recognise from that bundle is TACOMA, which came out in 2017.

I don't know if that speaks to the overabundance of indie games, a decline in the quality of bundles, or that we're all collectively out of touch.

I'd say it's a good dose of #1 combined with bundles generally being a way for companies to move inventory that hasn't sold.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Neat, more Trine.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1436700/Trine_5_A_Clockwork_Conspiracy

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Mindustry is extremely good. Technically a mobile game but the PC port is great. I highly recommend it if you like Factorio clones.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I’m slightly confused: if I buy Desktop Dungeons: Enhanced Edition today, will I get Rewind for free on the 18th? If not, I’ll just wait and buy Rewind once it’s out 🫤

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DerekSmartymans posted:

I’m slightly confused: if I buy Desktop Dungeons: Enhanced Edition today, will I get Rewind for free on the 18th? If not, I’ll just wait and buy Rewind once it’s out 🫤

That's what they are saying. Buy the old one now, get the other free.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Wartales is out of Early Access today with a 25% launch discount: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1527950/Wartales/

I really liked what I played back when EA started and I think it had a pretty solid run there. Co-op was also recently added. Seems like a solid pickup for anyone who enjoys the likes of Battle Brothers.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My Everspace 2 game came to a crashing halt when the story progress forced me into an Ancient Rift at Ceto. I tried to complete this 5 times now and the game just locks up eventually randomly. Sometimes in Wave 1, sometimes Wave 2, sometimes Wave 3. But I can never finish it. No crash, just locked up with no response and I have to manually exit the game process. Big bummer since I wanted to finish it this week.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mindustry is Factorio combined with a tower defense and a reverse tower defense. You get resources to build walls and guns (and walls of guns) to destroy waves of incoming bots, then you go to different areas and get resources to send waves of bots at wall, guns, and walls of guns. $1 for that game is an absolute steal and it even has co-op play.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

bbcisdabomb posted:

Mindustry is Factorio combined with a tower defense and a reverse tower defense. You get resources to build walls and guns (and walls of guns) to destroy waves of incoming bots, then you go to different areas and get resources to send waves of bots at wall, guns, and walls of guns. $1 for that game is an absolute steal and it even has co-op play.

it's a dollar? mindustry is good. the building is really compelling, and it's comprehensible and playable to non-Seriousgamers. can you co-op with random users? co-op is the best way to learn, its fun

Anno posted:

Wartales is out of Early Access today with a 25% launch discount: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1527950/Wartales/

I really liked what I played back when EA started and I think it had a pretty solid run there. Co-op was also recently added. Seems like a solid pickup for anyone who enjoys the likes of Battle Brothers.

i started the least successful thread ever about that game
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006006
i wore myself out playing it too much but i'll have to play some more now. didn't know it was out

Mescal fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 12, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

two things today

first, My Time at Sandrock launched today what I believe is their second-to-last major content update which "brings the main story to its climax" (unclear if that means it actually wraps up or will stop before final questlines/battles).

secondly, PowerWash Simulator is adding more free content on 18th, 3 new jobs. They also have a roadmap for 2023:

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

EXCITING NEWS: Clean your own home (you disgusting filthmonger) in PowerWash Simulator VR!*

*Hose peripheral sold separately

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

FrickenMoron posted:

My Everspace 2 game came to a crashing halt when the story progress forced me into an Ancient Rift at Ceto. I tried to complete this 5 times now and the game just locks up eventually randomly. Sometimes in Wave 1, sometimes Wave 2, sometimes Wave 3. But I can never finish it. No crash, just locked up with no response and I have to manually exit the game process. Big bummer since I wanted to finish it this week.

If its the rift you get 'forced' into after using the fast travel, just let the enemies kill you and it will kick you back out.
Dying in rifts just boots you out, it's not an actual death.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FrickenMoron posted:

Does it crash when things are exploding or is just kinda random? I was getting a crash during a story mission where lots of okkar would spawn in and I would just make them all explode at once with the flak gun and it would cause my game to freeze. I think running on dx11 might have been the solution though.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Anno posted:

I bought this a while ago but was waiting for full release. Hope it grabs me the way battle Brothers did

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 12, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fanatical is great for exactly that reason.

Orv
May 4, 2011

This isn’t universally true but it seems like a lot of the time bundle sites are either unwilling or unable to run games a second or third time through another bundle. All of the indie greats got bundled years ago or get bundled shortly after a new one comes out and then never again.

Whether it’s a thing of bundles cutting indie profits so they don’t want to do another or something else I dunno but it seems to hold fairly true. All the incredible bundles where every game is a banger were years and years ago now. Though there are still good things to be found in many of them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Serephina posted:

There’s also this pc gaming linux thread goon: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004994&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=13

Not sure what you mean by the thousands of dollars of goods since steam games and such are tied to an account (unless you’re talking about other things on your hard drive), but this thread has helped me out a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Anno posted:

Wartales is fine game but I would not necessarily recommend it to Battle Brothers fans. Battle Brothers strives for difficult and punishing but fair combat and strikes a perfect balance. Wartales doesn't try to be difficult, instead difficulty is based almost entirely on your level relative to your enemies' levels. The combat is very easy (at least for someone with 300 hours in BB) and one-sided without any tactical potential. It has a lot of neat world interaction stuff and it's more of "an RPG" than "a sandbox mercenary company simulator"

I think I would have liked it if I hadn't played 300+ hours of Battle Brothers first, but BB really spoiled me on the formula.

here's a long review I left on Steam detailing several reasons why it falls short as a tactics game, I believe at least one of these things has been changed for full release (enemies don't spend a turn 'winding up' AoE attacks anymore?)

In defense of Wartales I will say that it's world and your place in the world is far more interesting than BB - but if the BB combat is what you're after, it might not scratch the itch

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 12, 2023