Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes. They’re doing this because Colt Canada sold us that stupid loving rifle nobody wants and the military was loathe to take delivery so now they’re getting rid of good service rifles to speed the process up. This is exactly what they did the last time too, giving thousands of rifles to the ANA, which they sold/lost/scrapped to use Bulgarian/Romanian AK derivatives.

If you remember the new rifle requires an armourer for basic service, has an integral suppressor, no bayonet mount, and the suppressor has proprietary cleaning fluid. It was nudged along through user trials and was pretty reviled.

But oops! The remaining stock of C7A2s is being donated so we’ll have to take delivery, glory to the heroes.

lol, i was hoping there'd be an interesting story. :thx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nix Panicus posted:

So is Canada sending the lovely rifles to Ukraine?

lol no we’re sending the good ones so the Army has to accept delivery of the new more expensive lovely ones with proprietary cleaner.

To give you an idea here, Canada used the Lee-Enfield until the introduction of the C1 (FAL) and then that until the C7, each lasting at least 30 years in service. Now, we’ve adopted new rifles that are the same, based on the M16A1, but with more expensive stuff in every generation, every ten years or so.

Now, compare the functional differences between Lee-Enfield and FAL, FAL and M16, to what’s happening now. The cost difference is the same - these are all new rifles.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 04:32 on Apr 12, 2023

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

yeah here's some normal poo poo. FF is there something funny here https://twitter.com/anitaanandmp/status/1645832093669130252

114 bullet weapon is pretty bad. It's probably a bit more because of the "Over 2,4 million rounds" but still really bad. Especially if you take into account machine guns need a lot of ammo to be effective in their job.
It's also 1 machine gun to every ~550 rifle. If they go to the frontline with tat ratio, they will be outgunned unless they get a shitload of different support weapon elsewhere.

Bonus point for "Sourced from Cold Canada" which might mean the weapons do not exist yet so they would be delivered later just like the NASAM they promised.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

lol no we’re sending the good ones so the Army has to accept delivery of the new more expensive lovely ones with proprietary cleaner.

give it another couple years and they'll be putting anti tamper screws on the guns

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

To give you an idea here, Canada used the Lee-Enfield until the introduction of the C1 (FAL) and then that until the C7, each lasting at least 30 years in service. Now, we’ve adopted new rifles that are the same, based on the M16A1, but with more expensive stuff in every generation, every ten years or so.

Now, compare the functional differences between Lee-Enfield and FAL, FAL and M16, to what’s happening now. The cost difference is the same - these are all new rifles.

Just wait until it turns out the fancy proprietary cleaning fluid is cancerous or something.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

supersnowman posted:

114 bullet weapon is pretty bad. It's probably a bit more because of the "Over 2,4 million rounds" but still really bad. Especially if you take into account machine guns need a lot of ammo to be effective in their job.
It's also 1 machine gun to every ~550 rifle. If they go to the frontline with tat ratio, they will be outgunned unless they get a shitload of different support weapon elsewhere.

Bonus point for "Sourced from Cold Canada" which might mean the weapons do not exist yet so they would be delivered later just like the NASAM they promised.

I love this stuff. 2.4 million! that's a big number! the west is ready to pop the champaign

like you said, it's ~114 rounds per rifle, or about 3 magazines. while that's not literally 'enemy at the gates' level of equipping, it feels hilariously close to that movie if there isn't millions more rounds just off camera

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

supersnowman posted:

Bonus point for "Sourced from Colt Canada" which might mean the weapons do not exist yet so they would be delivered later just like the NASAM they promised.

Colt Canada = CZ, so that might be a part.

We issue LMGs at a 1:4 ratio and GPMGs like 4:30 , so lol yeah

but FN doesn’t want us to buy a tonne of minimis and MAGs at the moment, CZ wants that rifle sale - the C7A2 was probably going to soldier on for another quarter century like the Enfield and FAL in peacetime

I didnt think they’d go this route, they had scaled down orders of the new rifle to infantry battalions only but now, lol they’ll have to replace the donated rifles 1:1

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

two turds with one stone

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
They're gonna try to nuke Russia only to find out they need special proprietary tools to launch that stopped being made decades ago and the rights are in limbo somewhere between China and a machining factory in Botswana or whatever.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

oops, all color revolutions

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Zvezdanews posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
How the anti-drone backpack works

Russian servicemen are constantly capturing drones of Ukrainian fighters in the NWO zone. They do this with the help of a counter-iron backpack. One of the fighters described the working principle of such a device.

"You have to catch a drone, and within a minute it goes crazy, you could say," said a reconnaissance radio operator with the call sign "Legas."

With the help of this complex "Legas" has already intercepted about a dozen drones. He proved in practice that not a single enemy "bird" would fly past the Russian reconnaissance officers.

⭐️ Subscribe to Zvezdanews (https://t.me/zvezdanews) | *️⃣ Suggest news (https://t.me/Zvezdanews_Bot)

Translated with https://www.deepl.com/Translator (free version)
(from t.me/zvezdanews/115338, via tgsa)

anti-drone stuff is simultaneously fascinating and goofy ngl what with the scifi prop anti drone guns and that backpack

edit:

Donbass Devushka posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
#APU #Artillery To the post above. Attack UAVs are one of the main threats in this war - self-propelled guns 2S1 "Gvozdika" of the Armed Forces of Ukraine with "anti-drone protection" in the form of a grid
(from t.me/DDGeopolitics/54421, via tgsa)

that's a lot of anti-drone fencing

Danann has issued a correction as of 04:42 on Apr 12, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

For Christ’s sake, 1 month ago:

Azov units use C7A1 rifles: 2-3 times longer barrel life over M16

This really is two birds with 1 stone:

1) We are giving the rifles to Azov

2) Oh gosh with that barrel life, if we didnt give them away, how could we buy the new rifles that need an armourer to clean the barrel and have a suppressor that will need to be replaced frequently ?

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

114 rounds per rifle assuming they don't load the machineguns.

Count your shots.

That's barely enough for one contact per rifleman.

Assuming they don’t get blown up by artillery before they get within firing range, which is a big if.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just the stupidest loving country sometimes I swear.

Denmark and the Netherlands use Canadian rifles and have refused to consider the new one outright iirc, because rifles from the early 80’s are in great condition

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Danann posted:

(from t.me/zvezdanews/115338, via tgsa)

anti-drone stuff is simultaneously fascinating and goofy ngl what with the scifi prop anti drone guns and that backpack
Broadcast antennas to send a jamming signal across 4 channels, plus battery to power it.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

If you remember the new rifle requires an armourer for basic service, has an integral suppressor, no bayonet mount, and the suppressor has proprietary cleaning fluid. It was nudged along through user trials and was pretty reviled.

wtf. Just use whatever. it will be fine.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Just the stupidest loving country sometimes I swear.

Denmark and the Netherlands use Canadian rifles and have refused to consider the new one outright iirc, because rifles from the early 80’s are in great condition

Yeah but the Canadian govt need to fund a make-work program at Cold Canada, even if it's not Canadian because JOBS!!!!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

boiled linseed oil works well I hear

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

the canadian military went to hell when they abandoned the SMLE No. 4 Mk I* :canada:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
canada would do much more good for the world if they exported their incredible Beaver Tail donuts especially the onr with cinnamon powder and lemon squeeze

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Germany needs to install "four to five wind turbines every day" over the next few years to cover its needs, warned Olaf Scholz. This is a tall order compared to the 551 units installed in 2022.

The biggest economy in Europe can't manage 4 turbines a day lmao

and those turbines just get left to rot (or not rot, since i believe they're all made out of some kind of plastic or whatever) in a landfill when they're done with (20 years?)
detty had a tweet with a turbine graveyard, which looked depressing, even the "green" alternatives are utter poo poo

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 05:55 on Apr 12, 2023

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Has Al-Saqr toned down the :derp: since the Pentagon leaks came out establishing much lower Russian casualties or just more of the same?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PhilippAchtel posted:

Has Al-Saqr toned down the :derp: since the Pentagon leaks came out establishing much lower Russian casualties or just more of the same?

Wtf are you talking about ? The pentagon leaks had massive russian casualties and vehicle losses literally copy pasted from oryx

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

i like your choice of the word 'establishing'. strong. assertive. f a c t s

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

For Christ’s sake, 1 month ago:

Azov units use C7A1 rifles: 2-3 times longer barrel life over M16

This really is two birds with 1 stone:

1) We are giving the rifles to Azov

2) Oh gosh with that barrel life, if we didnt give them away, how could we buy the new rifles that need an armourer to clean the barrel and have a suppressor that will need to be replaced frequently ?

I had to look this up to work out what rifle you're talking about and lmfao they literally just made a contrivedly over-engineered AR. At least the Americans went whole hog with a clean slate bullshit design, the Canadian grift is in a way even more refined

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

PhilippAchtel posted:

i think hes switched back to russia winning

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Seatbelts posted:

give it another couple years and they'll be putting anti tamper screws on the guns

Kinda off topic but using off-the-wall screws and fasteners is little handy tip for bike security because assuming you're not leaving it out overnight, a bike thief is not going to be arsed to deal with a seat or wheel screwed with a torx when the other bike next to it is an easier target

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.tellmebest.com/french-bakeries-shutting-down/

quote:

Why French Bakeries In France Are Suddenly Shutting Down At Alarming Rates
Kari Apted
4–5 minutes

Energy costs in France have seen a 500 percent increase recently and this is forcing French bakeries to close up shop.
french bakeries

France is considered the cultural home of bread baking. In fact, French bakeries are such a quintessential part of the nation’s history that French President Emmanuel Macron ensured the baguette was given UNESCO heritage status in 2022. Unfortunately, skyrocketing costs are shuttering small businesses like bakeries across France.

French bakeries are the lifeblood of many cities, towns, and villages, providing daily sustenance to people at every point of the socioeconomic spectrum. Therefore, the loss of a beloved bakery has a strong impact when it happens. But the costs of energy and raw ingredients are doubling and tripling so fast that many bakers simply call it quits.

CNN interviewed Elodie Chavret, a bakery owner and part-time firefighter in the small town of Millery, France. She is worried that she cannot keep up with the electric bill any longer. It multiplied nearly tenfold between December and January.

When Chavret renewed her contract for the new year, her electric bill shot up from €900 ($978) to €7,500 ($8,146) in January. A government subsidy would lower the bill by €3,000 per month. Even so, Chavret says it’s an “unmanageable” increase.

It isn’t just the electric bill that’s skyrocketing at many French bakeries. Chavret told CNN that the costs of raw materials and gasoline are becoming “unbearable.” She has also had to increase wages for her six employees and is on the brink of closure.

Nicolas Amate owns a bakery in Lons-le-Saunier France with his wife, Nadege, and agrees that French bakeries are struggling to remain open. “Everything has gone up,” he told CNN. “If this continues, we will all close.”

Amate illustrated how much the cost of raw baking materials has escalated for owners of French bakeries. He said their cost of butter has doubled in two years, while flour prices have tripled in just the past 12 months. The Amates have had to raise some of their prices, but say their customers understand the difficulties they are experiencing.

According to CNN, PMI surveys compiled by S&P Global say that inflation has slowed since peaking at an 11-year high last April. But input prices, which include French bakeries, have been rising. French industrial producer prices, or the prices suppliers charge other businesses, showed a 13 percent year-over-year increase in February.

But even though French bakeries are paying much more for ingredients, including eggs, milk, and cream, it’s the energy inflation that’s threatening their businesses the most. The war in Ukraine caused European natural gas prices to rise sharply last year, hitting record levels. Electricity prices soon jumped, and though bakers say they are conserving energy in every way possible, their bills are the highest they’ve ever been.

French bakeries are now paying at least three times their average prices before Russia invaded Ukraine. Prices were also affected in France by a shutdown of almost half of its nuclear power plants in 2022. The closures were for necessary maintenance work, but they cut off nearly 70 percent of the nation’s power supply.

Although the French government has offered support to French bakeries, including the energy subsidy Chavret mentioned, bakery owners say it isn’t enough. A so-called “shock absorber” payment only provides a 20 percent cut on a bakery’s annual energy costs—little comfort when the bill increased over 500 percent. All of the bakers CNN interviewed had raised prices to help recoup some of their costs, but there is a limit to what French people are willing to pay for their daily baguette.

Owners of French bakeries across the country have joined online campaign groups pushing for more government support for their businesses. One Facebook group for bakers staged their first street protest in Paris last January. Bakers who are already laying off workers to save costs fear that closing their doors is the only possible next step.

Bakers are not only afraid of losing their livelihood, but of losing the human connection that French bakeries provide. “If the bakeries closed, we would lose that human side, that side of communication, of mutual aid,” Chavret said. “It’s not in department stores that people take the time to talk.”

freeing myself from the spectre of russian gas by shutting down my energy using business

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

but there is a limit to what French people are willing to pay for their daily baguette.
🥖🥖🥖

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

a suppressor that will need to be replaced frequently ?

Yo don't knock suppressors. Tinnitus and hearing loss loving SUCK

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Maybe the fluid comes in proprietary cartridges with DRM because the rifle was a collaboration with HP

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
bread and circuses will get us through!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wow Americas Hoes have zero loyalty

https://twitter.com/andreas_krieg/status/1645670915798188034?s=20

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

CODChimera posted:

i think hes switched back to russia winning

My Position is the same as it was since last june, I dont consider russia to be 'winning' until they get Slanyansk and Kramatorsk, until then my default position is that they're on the back foot.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

loving lmao at DOKTOR KRIEG, failed supervillain

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow Americas Hoes have zero loyalty

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JXRN_LkCa_o

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weird how all those energy exporting countries get unruly once the US turned into one of the world's largest energy exporters.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

looks like the ukranians are hyping up their audience and pointing their baseball bats to the hone run

https://twitter.com/militarylandnet/status/1645870701922983937?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

looks like the ukranians are hyping up their audience and pointing their baseball bats to the hone run

https://twitter.com/militarylandnet/status/1645870701922983937?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Those crazy bastards...they're actually going to do it. Godspeed to you, good sirs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

gently caress Sanctions