Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nwin posted:

Thanks…my bad luck definitely makes me worry!

In the event a glitch continues to happen…can I take it to a Verizon store or will they just send me to an Apple Store after 30 days have passed? I don’t have insurance or AppleCare. Asking because the Apple Store is an hour away.

If you look at the store locator on Apple’s website there might be a licensed service provider closer than that Apple Store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: iOS 16.4.1 has been released :siren:

This version also patches some vulnerabilities that were already known to have been exploited out in the wild..
Did it fix the weather issue? It's not listed on the patch notes.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Did it fix the weather issue? It's not listed on the patch notes.

That seems to be a server side issue, the patch I guess had nothing to do with it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Arivia posted:

If you look at the store locator on Apple’s website there might be a licensed service provider closer than that Apple Store

Thanks-I didn’t know about this. There’s a Best Buy that will work on it only 5 miles away.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

nwin posted:

Thanks-I didn’t know about this. There’s a Best Buy that will work on it only 5 miles away.

They would send it off and you would be without a phone

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: iOS 16.4.1 has been released :siren:

quote:

- Pushing hands emoji does not show skin tone variations

Lmao 🙌 :horse:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think Unicode Emojis is the worst thing that has happened to written real-time communication.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think Unicode Emojis is the worst thing that has happened to written real-time communication.

🤷🏻‍♂️

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Combat Pretzel posted:

Alright grandpa.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think gif search is the best thing that has happened to written real-time communication.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Apparently there's more to this issue
🫸 Unlock iOS 16.4's Hidden Skin Tones for the Pushing Hand Characters in Your Emoji Keyboard

ios.gadgethacks.com posted:

Apple pushed out 31 new emoji with iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4, but it somehow forgot to add ten of those — all skin-tone variations for the new leftward and rightward pushing hand characters — to the iOS keyboard. Here's how to unlock and use them.

The simplest way to use the new skin-tone variations for the leftward and rightward pushing hand emoji is to copy them from the box below and paste them wherever you need them. You could bookmark this webpage and return to it whenever you need to use one of these elusive emoji.

✂️
Alternatively, you could copy and paste the pushing hand skin tones with a shortcut. Install our Copy Pushing Hands Skin Tone shortcut to the Shortcuts app, then assign it to a Back Tap gesture via Settings –> Accessibility –> Touch –> Back Tap. When you double- or triple-tap the back of your iPhone (it's not available for iPad), a list will appear where you can choose the skin tone to copy to your clipboard. Then, just paste it in the text field.

Hth

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i just use the yellow ones because of my white guilt

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Weedle posted:

i just use the yellow ones because of my white guilt

it gives a weird vibe to the chat when someone uses the white ones 💪🏻👮🏻‍♂️👂🏻🥷🏻👫🏼👏🏻🧜🏻‍♂️✊🏻

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I never bothered to learn how to change the color and feel like I’m not missing anything.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Weedle posted:

i just use the yellow ones because of my Simpsons nostalgia

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

I never bothered to learn how to change the color and feel like I’m not missing anything.

long press on one of them

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

nwin posted:

Got my iPhone 14 pro about a month ago, have had it in a Maus case since day 1.

Last night the battery was really low after a day (30%) and I put it on the MagSafe charger like I do every night.

Went to bed, woke up, phone isn’t on. I put it on the MagSafe and it doesn’t charge. Plugged it into a standard charger and won’t charge…left it there while I did a workout.

I pushed the volume up, volume down, and then held the side button for about 10 seconds and the Apple logo popped up and the phone booted up saying it has a 75% charge.

Any ideas wtf? I’m just a little wary of this happening on a phone that’s so new since my wife’s last phone’s motherboard died without any reason just outside of warranty.

It’s funny you mention this, because this happened to my phone this morning, where I had plugged it in when it was at around 45% still, woke up, and it was not responsive. Tried turning it on, and nothing. Tried the forced restart a few times, and nothing.

Eventually, after about the 4th or 5th try at a forced restart, I finally got the Apple boot up screen and it went in. I made an appointment at the Apple Store this evening to get it checked, but I’m not sure what, if anything, they’ll do? So I’m debating whether to cancel it.

Edit:

CheshireCat posted:

Same thing happened to my iPhone 14 Pro Max several months ago. Put it down onto a Qi wireless charger for the night, woke up to an apparently dead iPhone, did the hard reset and it turned back on with almost an 80% charge. Going into Settings -> Battery and the graph showed it apparently "went dead" during the night.

I haven't had any issues since then. :shrug:

Of course, after I posted the above, I went and saw this, and looked at the Battery screen, and yeah, it shows a “went dead” period also, then when I finally got it turned back on, it was at 100%.

Maybe I’ll just cancel my appointment and monitor it…

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 10, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I feel like I’m kinda going nuts with notifications. I feel like I’ve cleared notifications before by swiping on them. Then later on they’ll appear on my lock screen again after being hidden for a while? This seemed to have happened when apple split notifications up between “Notification Center” and “lock screen”, so maybe an OS update or two ago?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Facebook Messenger is the worst for bad notifications. For me to remove the badge on the app icon, I need to have read the message and swiped back to the "list of conversations" screen.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also, with Messenger and a few other apps, if you view the message on desktop, it doesn’t auto clear on the app. You have to open the app again to clear it. Turning on Background App Refresh doesn’t fix this. It’s rather annoying.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If we’re bitching about notifications allow me to throw in a “gently caress you” to Uber, which regularly abuses push notifications to spam ads for Uber Eats at me. I don’t know why they’re allowed to get away with it (well, I have an idea) but I just delete the app after my trip on the rare occasions I have to use it now.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I kept getting "check out these new stories!" notifications for Instagram even after going into the app and turning off all relevant notifications. I eventually had to remove banner notifications entirely for the app and just rely on noticing the little badge number to tell if I have a new DM or not.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Even normal SMS is a bit half-assed. I found the setting for filtering non-contacts recently which is better than the default, but then there's no way to mark a conversation as being one that you do want to receive notification for.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I just switched from android to iOS yesterday and I’m looking for a few tips. Got the 14 Pro. There are a few things I’m missing. I’d like my keyboard to be a little bigger and have punctuation readily available. I also really miss being able to hit the back button with my thumb. I’m also not sure how to reliably get to my last opened apps? Swiping up from the bottom left corner works sometimes. I also liked the Google keep widget better than I like the notes app homescreen widget. Notifications are a mess right now but hopefully those are customizable. I also have the Samsung earbuds and I’m hoping I’ll be able to swap between noise canceling and ambient on the home page or I might be taking the phone back, haven’t tried that yet.

I do like how crispy and fast everything is, portrait mode is the real deal, FaceTime is actually amazing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Facebook Messenger is the worst for bad notifications. For me to remove the badge on the app icon, I need to have read the message and swiped back to the "list of conversations" screen.

This is so loving annoying.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I just switched from android to iOS yesterday and I’m looking for a few tips. Got the 14 Pro. There are a few things I’m missing. I’d like my keyboard to be a little bigger and have punctuation readily available.

Bigger I can’t help with, but punctuation is just a 123 button away (and double space on the space bar will automatically drop in a period.)

quote:

I also really miss being able to hit the back button with my thumb.

Swipe left-to-right from the left edge is near-universal for back.

quote:

I’m also not sure how to reliably get to my last opened apps? Swiping up from the bottom left corner works sometimes.

Swipe up from the bottom middle (where the white bar is.). If you angle the swipe it’ll move you back and forth between apps, straight up and release will give you a carousel.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I also have the Samsung earbuds and I’m hoping I’ll be able to swap between noise canceling and ambient on the home page or I might be taking the phone back, haven’t tried that yet.

Can't you just tap and hold the earbud to switch between the modes? For AirPods, you can change the NC by tapping on the volume slider in the control center when you have them in and connected.

Kalman posted:

Swipe left-to-right from the left edge is near-universal for back.

It's also far more consistent - it won't randomly dump you back into a different app - iOS's back gesture is per-modal, so each app/bottom navbar has it's own back timeline.

I'd also recommend that new users learn to use iOS's spotlight search - you can find it by swiping down on your lock or home screen.

Need to call or text somebody? Swipe down and type the first 3 letters of their name.
Need to search for an app on the app store? Swipe down add type the name of the app.
Need to google search? Swipe down and type your search.
Need to open an app? Swipe down...

Some previous tips I've given Android users:

Corb3t posted:

Even if you use Google's native apps, it might be worth going into the system settings and adding your google account within the iOS ecosystem, just so your iPhone can easily search and filter that information across the entire OS.

Don't load up your homescreen with apps and get into the habit of just swiping down and searching for most functionality, whether it be searching for an app on the app store, entering the location of a local business, opening an app, finding a contact, etc. Many of the apps you download integrate into iOS's search functionality, and you can fine-tune the settings to show or hide specific apps you use more often.

Apple has a "back button" swipe gesture, but it's "per modal", meaning it won't dump you between different apps willy-nilly - it only goes back to each section's natural progression within it's timeline. This can really bother Android users who make the switch, but I find iOS's back gesture more predictable when I use it.

Some apps will abuse notifications and send your marketing BS - I know Android is a little better about this, but unfortunately us iOS users are beholden by the apps themselves - Amazon, for example, doesn't offer any fine-tune notification settings, so if you want package delivery notifications, you'll have to ignore Prime Day marketing notifications and Prime TV bullshit, or turn them off entirely. Personally, I turn off most badges and only keep badges on for messaging-based apps (and likely have them on my homescreen). Another nifty trick is you can swipe an app's notification and add it to a daily summary, or mute it for an hour or for the day.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 12, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Question Mark Mound posted:

There’s some weird messenger bug going on right now involving notifications. It’ll probably get solved someday in the future but who knows when. For me it’s slightly different than your experience but still quite annoying.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think notification summaries are great but the problem is for me that it just doesn't go far enough. I wish I could just set it so I only got notifications like every 5 minutes or so. The thing that just absolutely drives me insane is when I get a slew of notifications back to back, and all notifications I've made a decision to not stick in the summaries because I can't wait 6 hours to see them. I guess I should just be throwing on the personal focus but it's hard to predict when this sort of thing is going to happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A way to throttle notifications on a per app basis in Settings would be nice too. Yeah you're minutes to two buzzes every ten minutes, Messages.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

xzzy posted:

A way to throttle notifications on a per app basis in Settings would be nice too. Yeah you're minutes to two buzzes every ten minutes, Messages.

Focus can at least silence apps on a per-app basis. I use that with Signal because I'm in a signal group chat with some friends and uh...

they're loud.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Quackles posted:

I use that with Signal because I'm in a signal group chat with some friends and uh...

they're loud.
:yikes:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TACD posted:

If we’re bitching about notifications allow me to throw in a “gently caress you” to Uber, which regularly abuses push notifications to spam ads for Uber Eats at me. I don’t know why they’re allowed to get away with it (well, I have an idea) but I just delete the app after my trip on the rare occasions I have to use it now.

i found that they're good at not using time sensitive notifications for ads at least, so i have uber set to go in the summary, except for time sensitive stuff which notifies me directly. everyone wins

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just switched from android to iOS yesterday and I’m looking for a few tips.

Ironically the Tips app on the phone is actually very good for new users to learn how the basics work. Go through a few of the topics and learn all the swipe gestures.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This is not iPhone related but I realized on "macOS", if you swipey over one direction, or use a mouse which I do with a horizontal scroll, there are timestamps!

Screw you Tim I can't spend hours in the Tips app! :smugdon:

When you scroll with the mouse, then release the scrolley motion, the timestamps go away!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That works on iPhone too, slide from right to left and hold your finger on the screen.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

I also really miss being able to hit the back button with my thumb. I’m also not sure how to reliably get to my last opened apps?

Check out the very top left of the screen, left of the camera notch. Whenever an app sends you into another app, it should always place a back-link of sorts there. It's not the back button we want, but perhaps it's the "80% back button" we really need?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m also not sure how to reliably get to my last opened apps? Swiping up from the bottom left corner works sometimes.

Yeah either swipe up from the bottom to bring up the switcher or swipe right from the bottom to switch apps.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That lost airpods feature would be awesome if it worked and wasn't randomly telling me I left my airpods behind when they are sitting in my backpack right next to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I cannot wait to upgrade to the 15 this year. Half because some apps cannot operate smoothly, other half because this and my AirPods are the only holdouts left on lightning. I’m also hoping the 15 has better night/lowlight photos than this venerable XR.