Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i keep imagining bobby hill as the dalai lama with like, connie, and there's like this long awkward pause and he just says "can i suck on your tongue?" in a monotone voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
dang'it bobby

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Being groomed from childhood to be an absolute monarch and spiritual leader has got to gently caress you up in even more ways than usual.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Some update on the Taiwanese politic.

Next presidential election will be held at Jan 24. We all know in recent years the Taiwanese voters like to vote green (DPP) in presidential elections and blue (KMT) in midterm elections.

So for the DPP presidential candidate, most likely it's going to be the current vice president, Lai Ching-te. There are basically 3-4 factions inside DPP, the Tsai faction, the “New Tide" faction which have agreed to put all their energy behind Lai. And then a couple regional factions, for example the gang led by the current Primier, Su Tseng-chang. I call him Su Turtle because he is most creasy rear end gangster weasel. He had a little bit of chance but at the current stand has no chance of getting the nomination.

Now back to Lai, why is he a shoe in for nomination, because he is a deep green and pretty pro independent. One of his most famous quotes is "I am a low-key Taiwan independent worker." Once you have said it just once, there is nothing else need to be said. Frankly without saying that he probably couldn't get the factional support anyway. After the lost of the '22 midterm election, the Tasi faction has taken most of the blame, and Su turtle has used most of his political capital on staying on the primier seat in the final year, I think there isn't going to be other strong challenger to Lai. Lai will run for and win the party president and then run for the primary.

stephenthinkpad, please claim your reward

https://twitter.com/taiwanplusnews/status/1646045924601511936?t=Ul-VRUC1ra8gN3GY3x1P-w&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1645953643210850304?t=BIyz47PoKkrsdRRQFS3JPQ&s=19

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

why cant you post good youtube videos about china instead of stupid ones i dont want to watch stupid ones

Oh come on

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what a difference over the years
https://twitter.com/xismoments/status/1069422540680908801
https://twitter.com/xismoments/status/1144906539662135296

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
say what you like about trump, but he has a real good instinct for where he is in the pecking order

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
omfg

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1645946867656826880?t=LPI41LLKTfv14j_QaT5jXg&s=19

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

KomradeX posted:

Yeah you're supposed to build military based there to prey on teen girls and poison the local water

China quenching thirst

US uhhh, well...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

how could people like someone so refreshingly honest

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i cant stop laughing about how his description of president xi leads by saying he "doesnt care at all" about how the yankees did yesterday

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
davaj llama

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

fart simpson posted:

i cant stop laughing about how his description of president xi leads by saying he "doesnt care at all" about how the yankees did yesterday

lmao

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Thank you. I got the easy part right.

KMT candidate is the hard part. Since I wrote that post both Mayor Hou and Foxconn Guo have expressed desire to run. But neither have made noise, probably because neither has gotten support from Chairman Eric Chu. Like I said before, Chu is a motherfucking bad leader, he is going to screw up the slim chance KTM have, I remain pessimistic. Also a famous TV commentator, former KMT, Jaw something has said he wanted to run since 2020 but he will get straight up cockblocked.

Here is one important thing to watch, who is DPP going to pick as the running mate for Lai. A lot of them want to pick current Taiwan to American "ambassador" Hsiao Bi-khim (whatever her official title is since Taiwan doesn't have diplomatic relationship w US, she is half Chinese half white), but Beijing just put her on the "bad egg separatist" list after Tsai's visit and basically tells Taiwan, here are a few hardcore separatists we announce will sanction for life and this time we only add one person on the list. So DPP and Lai choosing Hsiao would be announcing the presidential election is focusing on the topic of independent and nothing else. Seeing Tsai's 2nd term has had pretty bad economic performance and difficult covic recovery, I don't think its a wise move. But if Lai does that, he would show a lot of his cards and telegram to the Taiwanese and Beijing he is serious about independence.

BTW some of the Taiwanese romanization rules make no sense to me, Hsiao Bi Khim's pinyin spelling is "Xiao Mei qin" , you can look at it and guess how to pronounce it in mandarin, its the same Xiao in Xiaomi but in different tone. How do you look at Hsiao Bi Khim and figure out the sound? Where did "bi" come from. Just archaic poo poo.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 12:44 on Apr 12, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

See thats doing it the right way

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1645888203260321795

new victim of chen weihua

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Wouldn't wish 1000 Washington think tank seminars on some of my enemies tbh

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's like Goku training in the gravity chamber, it made him more powerful than anyone could imagine

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Washington blob begging Elon loving Musk to ban Chinese is hilarious. How about you pass some laws to reign in your lobbying overlords?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

stephenthinkpad posted:

BTW some of the Taiwanese romanization rules make no sense to me, Hsiao Bi Khim's pinyin spelling is "Xiao Mei qin" , you can look at it and guess how to pronounce it in mandarin, its the same Xiao in Xiaomi but in different tone. How do you look at Hsiao Bi Khim and figure out the sound? Where did "bi" come from. Just archaic poo poo.

sometimes the old transcriptions are easier, i pronounced qing king until i saw the old spelling (ch'ing)
but that was mostly me not knowing how q, z, zh, etc are pronounced

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
moving from ch to q is an odd decision, we already have letters that make that noise why are we assigning it to a letter that never sounds anything like that

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's also a Ch initial in Pinyin, the Q initial sounds different. Also Pinyin is sort of an approximation of how those letters across languages that use the western alphabet iirc.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

indigi posted:

moving from ch to q is an odd decision, we already have letters that make that noise why are we assigning it to a letter that never sounds anything like that

Ch in pinyin means to make a ch sounds with your mouth more open and q means make ch sound with your mouth more closed

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Mantis42 posted:

It's like Goku training in the gravity chamber, it made him more powerful than anyone could imagine
Lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fart simpson posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ikanreed posted:

Ch in pinyin means to make a ch sounds with your mouth more open and q means make ch sound with your mouth more closed

yeah but we're using the stupid Latin alphabet and open or closed "ch" sounds way closer to that sound than q does. just add a diacritic, we got those

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah why isn't everything written in the Roman alphabet pronounced like they are in American English I don't understand it at all

Wait until you guys discover Turkish or Vietnamese

Actually maybe Turkish is pronounced exactly the same as English i dont know

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Yeah why isn't everything written in the Roman alphabet pronounced like they are in American English I don't understand it at all

American English isn't even consistent with how it uses the Roman alphabet, I’m not saying we have the best system. I just think we can do better with the tools we already have rather than continuing to add exceptions to this stupid written language

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Pinyin isn't for westerners to pronounce chinese accurately, it's for chinese people to use typewriters.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So do you understand that pinyin and wade giles werent designed solely English speakers

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

oh, his brain is mush. he kinda dottered for a while but if you look at 90s/2000s speeches of his in english and compare he us a few steps over dottering. let's see that clock

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Some Guy TT posted:

so are literally all the dalai lama interviews like this but its only just now that anyone actually bothered to watch any of them

no. in the interview where he originally did that joke (actually second time i think) he's a lot more cogent. it's the same joke though. larry king doesn't like it. but the rest of the interview he is actually talking and doesn't sound like his brain is mush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoeDpP_GHbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfBvGK-jQ4U

seems like he has some kind of brain pudding disease now. inhibition loss and bizarre, uncharacteristic behaviors are a hallmark of that so i would not be surprised if there's an announcement along those lines (although i dont think anyone actually cares too much? vOv)

im not gonna give him a dude's rock for larry king because he's a bad man but i do admire him sticking to the bit for at least 3 interviews and setting up an amazing punchline if he had reincarnated into a pretty lady

the boy tongue thing is hosed, dementia or otherwise (its otherwise)

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Apr 12, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the dalai lama is a dotard? noted.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mawarannahr posted:

the dalai lama is a dotard? noted.

likely a diddling dotard

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

actually frieza could easily imagine it

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/Karl_Was_Right/status/1646279097549717504?t=w3NizXDSwHox5-WuZAJqaw&s=19

Lol

It's maddening that people build careers out of this poo poo

https://www.spectator.co.uk/writer/ian-williams/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

well it's only fair; the capitalist trained robot gives capitalist answers

quote:

As an AI language model, I don't have personal opinions or experiences, but I can provide you with some general ways to make money:

1. Start your own business: This can be a great way to make money if you have a unique idea or skill set that you can turn into a profitable venture.

2. Invest in stocks or real estate: Investing in stocks or real estate can be a good way to make money if you have the knowledge and resources to do so.

3. Freelance or work as a consultant: If you have a particular skill set, you can offer your services as a freelancer or consultant to make money.

4. Get a high-paying job: Pursuing a career in a high-paying field such as medicine, law or engineering can lead to a lucrative salary.

5. Sell products or services online: With the rise of e-commerce, selling products or services online can be a profitable way to make money.

Ultimately, the best way to make money will depend on your individual strengths, interests, and resources.