Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Allegiance? Wasn't an MMO, but definitely was a cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Allegiance was cool because at the time it was 128 players or so fighting. It never took off though because it required a monthly fee. Its actually available to still play, its on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/700480/Microsoft_Allegiance/

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

queeb posted:

wasnt there another online game where you could like pilot a few different ships and you had to protect your mothership or some poo poo, called alliance or something like that

Yup it was a Microsoft game in space and you could fly a fighter, bomber, or interceptor. It was called Allegience and was a ton of fun.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Allegiance was cool because at the time it was 128 players or so fighting. It never took off though because it required a monthly fee. Its actually available to still play, its on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/700480/Microsoft_Allegiance/

Holy poo poo I thought I had made this game up in my head. I remember playing this! Such a cool idea.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Can someone help me please? There was an MMOG way back where you piloted a fighter in factional pvp and there were giant carriers and stuff to take down and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called.

TIA

Reminds me of Battlestar Galactica Online, both an MMO and browser based. Played it on Kongregate. The monetization model sucked rear end but you could play as Human or Cylon which was pretty awesome.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I miss Ragnarok Online

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

junan_paalla posted:

I miss Ragnarok Online

Same :(

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

junan_paalla posted:

I miss Ragnarok Online

:same:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Isn't it still online? I only had glancing interactions with it, so I'm not up to date with its current status.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kedo posted:

Isn't it still online? I only had glancing interactions with it, so I'm not up to date with its current status.

The official server is a total mess, but the private servers are great and where everyone is playing now.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

I said come in! posted:

The official server is a total mess, but the private servers are great and where everyone is playing now.
A bunch closed down because Gravity sued one somewhat recently. Origins RO was pretty good. Other than the bizarre mechanical differences that lower the skill cap significantly.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I don't think anyone publishes RO in the EU anymore, iRO blocks European IPs altogether. I found a decently populated EU-based private server that's pretty vanilla with just slightly increased rates, and I'm having a blast healing zombies and skeletons to death in payon cave.
Here's a channel for everyone who just wants some nostalgia without the carpal tunnel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7fmggYQqig

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
just play tree of savior

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Third World Reagan posted:

just play tree of savior
this is violence

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i have been following Mad World: Age of Darkness for a while. it is set to release April 27th. i haven't had a chance to play in a beta or anything, but it looks kinda interesting so i figured i should share here!

Steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/771580/Mad_World___Age_of_Darkness__MMORPG/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Third World Reagan posted:

just play tree of savior

No, this game super sucks. I keep trying to get back into it and it is an absolute mess. The devs do not care at all to fix any of its problems.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

i have been following Mad World: Age of Darkness for a while. it is set to release April 27th. i haven't had a chance to play in a beta or anything, but it looks kinda interesting so i figured i should share here!

Steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/771580/Mad_World___Age_of_Darkness__MMORPG/

Ooh yeah, I have this on my Wishlist. Will be playing it too, I like the art style a lot.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I said come in! posted:

No, this game super sucks. I keep trying to get back into it and it is an absolute mess. The devs do not care at all to fix any of its problems.

In this way, it is just like RO

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
isn't lost ark the good, polished RO successor? i can't play it so idk

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Truga posted:

Nah, not really. They play pretty differently.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Truga posted:

while on the surface they both are isometric korean grindfest mmos where you shed tears as you fail to get +s on your gear, lost ark has none of the charm of RO. the sandboxy nature of RO with freeform character builds and set-your-own-objective overworld grindathons where you party up with the random people you meet is so much more appealing than lost ark's "follow the quest marker" main quest slog, item level grind and daily/weekly instance checklists.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
ToS is what happens when someone designs cool pieces to a game and then decides gently caress it, I don't want to make a coherent or good game and I know for a fact this will never be that popular, and then proceeds to get an MBA to paste it together into an on-rails dollar extraction machine with no regard for player experience.

Truga posted:

RO was horizontal pre-re, had no dailies/fomo, and had only soft time gating with gvg stuff/world boss spawns. It also had a sandbox design sort of.

Lost Ark's loop is do 90 seconds of check in + daily quest everyday, do 6 minutes of chaos every day, and then do some weekly lockouts. You also scale most of this to up to 6 characters (or more kinda, but after 6 you don't get gold from weekly raids). It's heavily time gated and infinitely vertical. There's almost no catchup if you are anywhere near current content either. Unless you swipe or generate gold through alts or generate gold through playing AH baron. It's very on rails, very themepark. It only gets off rails in how you manage your progression & your roster's progression, and admittedly that part of the game is fairly satisfying if you choose to treat it as a game you play instead of a game you pay.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 7, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There has been an update on Ashes of Creations Alpha 2 test; its not coming anytime soon, for sure not in 2023. Game continues to be dreams.txt.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

B...but their marketing emails make it sound like a finished game!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there has never been an mmo class/build as satisfying for me as RO hindsight sage/professor. slap poo poo at mach speed with books while magic bolts fly out

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

u can have a pale immitation of that by autoattacking on a scholar while broil spamming in ffxiv

its a very slight dps increase

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
autoattacking on a SMN is a pretty significant gain though because of their lack of cast times. my buddy figured it out to be about a 4% DPS increase, which is huge in terms of parsing

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You don't autoattack while casting or while your GCD is rolling off of an instant cast, so not really.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are there any classes in a “modern” MMO that is a healer which heals the group by doing damage to the mobs? Closest I’ve ever come in a game was Chloromancer in Rift.

I’ve always loved that clerics traditionally have a mace, shield, and heavy armor so wouldn’t it be bad rear end and fitting that slamming their mace over a mobs head would lead to healing/inspiring the group?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

WoW's Disc Priest
FFXIV's Scholar Sage

edit: I'm pretty sure they have some group healing but maybe a lot of it is targeted based on putting a buff on a specific party member.

There was some other game that also did this but I might be thinking of D&D 4th edition clerics

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 10, 2023

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

FFXIV sage

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Cutedge posted:

WoW's Disc Priest
FFXIV's Scholar

edit: I'm pretty sure they have some group healing but maybe a lot of it is targeted based on putting a buff on a specific party member.

There was some other game that also did this but I might be thinking of D&D 4th edition clerics

i think you mean XIV's sage, scholar doesn't have any of that

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Warrior Priest in RoR is about smacking things with a two-handed maul to heal your friends. I don't think they could use shields, though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Frida Call Me posted:

i think you mean XIV's sage, scholar doesn't have any of that

yeah sage has 1 buff that heals the recipient every time you use a DPS global cooldown. in practice it's mostly just a check that lets players who don't panic cast unnecessary GCD heals squeeze out more DPS

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Yeah I meant Sage. Oops

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

Are there any classes in a “modern” MMO that is a healer which heals the group by doing damage to the mobs? Closest I’ve ever come in a game was Chloromancer in Rift.

I’ve always loved that clerics traditionally have a mace, shield, and heavy armor so wouldn’t it be bad rear end and fitting that slamming their mace over a mobs head would lead to healing/inspiring the group?

XI's Dancer was supposed to be this, gaining TP with attacks and being able to heal with it, but like every job in XI it got mutated into something else because that game was always fantastic about letting stuff flex into roles they didn't think of.

Turns out giving something massive resource gain to have it available for healing or buffing or whatever just turns it into a total burst machine by using that resource in the conventional way, because who needs healing when the mob dies in one combo.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Disc Priest kicks rear end, and they basically made Fistweaving the default monk healer build and it also kicks rear end

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

has anyone found the catch to Blue Protocol yet

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Autisanal Cheese posted:

has anyone found the catch to Blue Protocol yet

Not really no. Some big MMORPG specific content creators have said the game is really fun though when playing the closed beta test. But it still doesn't have a solid release date yet, just 2023, and there's been no marketing really. So I haven't been paying that much attention, its still a ways off.