Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I just finished Krauser on Hardcore. Is his knife worth ditching the combat knife for? I’ve got the combat knife fully upgraded and expect to try a new game + after this. I think? I don’t see myself doing any infinite ammo weapon playthroughs, but a professional run at least is likely and maybe a fresh start professional as a final run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Carry two knives. If you thought one was good...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Velius posted:

I just finished Krauser on Hardcore. Is his knife worth ditching the combat knife for? I’ve got the combat knife fully upgraded and expect to try a new game + after this. I think? I don’t see myself doing any infinite ammo weapon playthroughs, but a professional run at least is likely and maybe a fresh start professional as a final run.

It does a LOT of damage. Definitely better than the default but it's personal preference if you want to use it over the infinite knife

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

JBP posted:

I want RE9 to be in the third person action movie style of RE4 but Barry is the main character and instead of a knife parry or dodge to defend he just blocks like a boxer including against a chainsaw and throws hay-makers.

Barry takes Billy and Carlos on a road trip across the US to uncover an ancient treasure located on a map he bought off eBay (the map is a cunning trap set by yet another Wesker child). Also there are B.O.W.'s

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oxxidation posted:

there’s a lot of bad advice in that post. you can get through the water room’s first half without killing more than a few cultists if you have three or four flash grenades handy. the first red cultist has a huge amount of health/super armor before the cutscene triggers and trying to shoot him through the doorway will guarantee you lose a ton of time and ammo as everyone rushes you. there is no reason to kill the non-wrench regenerators if you’re trying for a par time (unless you use the tommygun and fill them with daylight of course) likewise no reason not to grenade the wrecking ball wall

Yeah, as much as we talk about skips the biggest skip of all is just not fighting. Even with infinite ammo it still takes time to burn down enemies.

I think the clearest section for this is the run all the way from the church where you get Ashley through to the cabin fight, which i ran probably a dozen times trying to finish that loving cabin and I would kill precisely two enemies. Backstab the woman that has her back to you in the courtyard, charge all the way through to the village, shoot the guy guarding the window to the house (unnecessary but safer), flashbang into the house to stun the enemies that heard the shots (including the pig man), run straight through the village/farm/bridge to the cabin without engaging with any other enemy. That's only something you can do with Ashley in armor, but the time you save really adds up.

Reading the post you quoted, it should be said that the magnums are cool but
a) you have to spend money to upgrade them which means spending time collecting money.
B) They are incredibly short on ammo all the time.

Upgrading your bolt action rifle and then using it as a long magnum is imo better since you can use it for long and close combat and the iron sights are fine. Yeah it has less single shot power but ammo is *far* more common.

I'm also now realizing I can visualize almost the entire game in my head now, I'm on my fifth run through to do the pistol/knife run. I think I need to play something else just to make room for other things in my brain.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 12, 2023

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
That's so true about not fighting being the biggest time saver. It's hard though because the guns are all such fun to fire and fighting ganados is a hoot. With zombies it's more fun to run circles around them and laugh at their dumb asses moaning that their meal got away but there's just so much you can do with/to a ganado I had to stop myself and force Leon/Ashley onwards to hit that S+ time limit on professional.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There's 1 thing I like better in OG 4 than this remake, and that's the peseta pick up sound effect. This one is too tinky, there's not enough bass to it I guess? The original is this satisfying jingle of coins.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
One thing I've always wanted with Resident Evil games is a bit of utility with saved games. I wish you could label certain saves (no healing run, knife only run, or even "right before really fun boss". I save multiple times and it gets confusing which is which. At least ng+ is called out in the save

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Remember you can kill Salazar quickly if you keep some eggs, especially the golden egg.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

there’s a lot of bad advice in that post. you can get through the water room’s first half without killing more than a few cultists if you have three or four flash grenades handy. the first red cultist has a huge amount of health/super armor before the cutscene triggers and trying to shoot him through the doorway will guarantee you lose a ton of time and ammo as everyone rushes you. there is no reason to kill the non-wrench regenerators if you’re trying for a par time (unless you use the tommygun and fill them with daylight of course) likewise no reason not to grenade the wrecking ball wall

Some of this is also bad advice lmao.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Some of this is also bad advice lmao.

How so?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

oh god oh gently caress posted:

"We all saw New Raccoon City as a chance to rebuild. Wipe the slate clean. We never thought things could go so wrong."

"I mean yes we built a giant secret lab under the city but Balbert Besker from the Parasol Corporation said it'd be fine."

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

Reading the post you quoted, it should be said that the magnums are cool but
a) you have to spend money to upgrade them which means spending time collecting money.
B) They are incredibly short on ammo all the time.

Upgrading your bolt action rifle and then using it as a long magnum is imo better since you can use it for long and close combat and the iron sights are fine. Yeah it has less single shot power but ammo is *far* more common.

:yeah:

Upgraded bolt action killed most bigger enemies in two shots and ammo was plentiful and easy to craft the whole way through. I used the hand cannon to blow up the catapults but it was nowhere near as effective as the damage/exclusive upgraded bolt action with the thermal scope.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Remember you can kill Salazar quickly if you keep some eggs, especially the golden egg.

Also there is a golden egg in the Castle.

I believe it's in The Throne Room but you have to double back a ways to get it so whether it saves time will depend on what difficulty you are at/what weapons you have.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's probably worth the jog. It's not far from the lift, makes that fight a funny joke and you get some spinels while you're there for no extra effort.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The Handcannon just sawing people in half is so satisfying and I wish there was more of that with the base weapons. Once in a while you'll get a nice one with the shotguns but none of the other weapons seem to have that visceral feel outside of headshots.

Also I just realized there's one thing missing from the OG that feels weird given how meticulous they were about all the other details - no more Leon holding his lower back after catching armored-up Ashley. That was always a funny touch.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Perhaps it's a time save to just hold on to the golden egg from the lake. That one takes no effort or really time to get.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Perhaps it's a time save to just hold on to the golden egg from the lake. That one takes no effort or really time to get.

True, but it also means you have to find spinels somewhere else if you are looking to get an upgrade ticket for unlimited ammo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You could just throw both eggs and not fire a bullet.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The Handcannon just sawing people in half is so satisfying and I wish there was more of that with the base weapons. Once in a while you'll get a nice one with the shotguns but none of the other weapons seem to have that visceral feel outside of headshots.

Also I just realized there's one thing missing from the OG that feels weird given how meticulous they were about all the other details - no more Leon holding his lower back after catching armored-up Ashley. That was always a funny touch.

If you crit enemies with the pistol they can blow off limbs, but you will rarely shoot limbs compared to heads and knees.

Edit: just 3 cheevos left. S+ on standard, All S ranks for the shooting range and Hitting 5 targets in one shot at the range.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Oh it's still there it's just semi-random:

https://youtu.be/y5NylnyA5Lg

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I gotta say my one disappointment with the RE4make is there's no RPD outfit like the original. They had two ultra turbo graphics versions from RE2 they could've recycled, and it baffles me that oven man made the cut but the OG alternate costume didn't.

I was a Gamecube child so the pinstripe outfit reignites the console war in my heart.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That reminds me that they even retained doing tricks on the jetski during the escape. Sometimes. I only managed to do a 360 once.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Bloodcider posted:

I gotta say my one disappointment with the RE4make is there's no RPD outfit like the original. They had two ultra turbo graphics versions from RE2 they could've recycled, and it baffles me that oven man made the cut but the OG alternate costume didn't.

I was a Gamecube child so the pinstripe outfit reignites the console war in my heart.

Theres a mod but yeah the amount of costumes to unlock sucks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

All the magnums do that btw. Broken butterfly is better than Handcannon in every way except the infinite ammo

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Started playing the full game last night. It's absolutely gorgeous. I'm taking it slowly, I completed the first village section and then the blue medallion farm windmill part. I loved the fight with Pig Head and my harebrained scheme of making him chase me back down the windmill into the bomb trip wire failed when I myself ran into it too fast.

I also thought I could game the initial village section and not go into the shotgun house to activate Dr Salvador but he knew my scheme and came out anyway.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
It's still a poor choice compared to the other rifles, but drat if it isn't fun to finally save enough M4 ammo to put an entire 30-round magazine into Krauser and completely neuter his climactic battle

though it does feel like upgrading magazine size alters how much ammo spawns for it; once I got to the island with it upgraded I could count on finding enough rifle boxes to keep the gun half-loaded, at least.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Fil5000 posted:

"I mean yes we built a giant secret lab under the city but Balbert Besker from the Parasol Corporation said it'd be fine."

<puzzle switches the red and white sections on logo>

"Parasol is....Umbrella?!"

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Using the deer antlers and krausers own knife to end the first battle with 2 stabs to the face is pretty funny.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A maxed out riot shotty will constantly rip cultists to pieces. It’s absolutely rocking on this professional NG no bonus weapon run. Using the cat ears to play with all the other guns but the riot has been amazing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I also thought I could game the initial village section and not go into the shotgun house to activate Dr Salvador but he knew my scheme and came out anyway.

I thought it was funny on my first ng+ run where I just sat at the entrance to the village with all my good poo poo and mowed them down, and then after killing like 7 of them it cut to a cutscene of Salvador opening up the door right behind me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ChickenHeart posted:

It's still a poor choice compared to the other rifles, but drat if it isn't fun to finally save enough M4 ammo to put an entire 30-round magazine into Krauser and completely neuter his climactic battle

though it does feel like upgrading magazine size alters how much ammo spawns for it; once I got to the island with it upgraded I could count on finding enough rifle boxes to keep the gun half-loaded, at least.

It's the undeniable best gun for catboy Leon. The rocket launcher is great but it sometimes can cause you to get knocked down in fights, where the ratta tat tat m4 is always good.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I feel like with an auto clicker Matilda might be the most insane DPS gun.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Catilda Mode sounds really strong, i haven't unlocked the cat ears yet

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How's Ashley work with the rocket launcher? I was thinking about doing an infinite launcher run just for laughs, do you need to hang onto a gun to shoot people near her without blowing her up or anything?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

How's Ashley work with the rocket launcher? I was thinking about doing an infinite launcher run just for laughs, do you need to hang onto a gun to shoot people near her without blowing her up or anything?

You will 100% accidentally kill her until you get good with the rocket launcher. The blast radius and the shock radius are different so you eventually get a feel of how far you need to shoot to stun an enemy near hear without killing her.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

If she has her armour then she flat out ignores it. If not then yes should probably keep something with less splash damage to hand.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Catilda Mode sounds really strong, i haven't unlocked the cat ears yet

It was the MVP of my knife/gun only run. I kept the default gun with a laser sight to hand to hit things really far away with precision but that was maybe once or twice in total. The rate of fire is so dumb even Regeneradors struggle to keep up and you can nearly stunlock Verdugo with consistent face shots.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
https://youtu.be/B4wl3OVt8J4

(Had to remove the messed up audio)

My first Pro run cabin fight and it took a lot of tries. Managed to get lucky with grenades at the end.

Punisher's suprisingly good in tight spaces if you use the laser sight. Low recoil and very good accuracy.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Josh's AI on the RE5 extra campaign is NOT up to the task at higher difficulties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
So I finally, begrudgingly started my ng+x3 run on professional to get the sweeper, and color me surprised when del lago cutscened and died after like, 6-7 harpoon hits. I missed one of the first so no challenge complete but that was waaaay too fast. I mean I’ll take it because that’s one of the most tedious fights in the game but I really don’t understand how he died so quickly.