Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

local jurisdictions will do a bunch of bullshit that hints at increasing density but they will never rip the bandaid off and actually make Single family into multifamily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Ornery and Hornery posted:

local jurisdictions will do a bunch of bullshit that hints at increasing density but they will never rip the bandaid off and actually make Single family into multifamily

Nobody wants that baloney

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

even if I had enough money to buy some land, put a big ol' house on it, and then also have an in-law suite for when one of my parents inevitably dies before the other, i would have to think real hard about doing that if that parent happened to be my mother. bless that woman but i'm sure i'd die next from the stress

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Celexi posted:

I have never had issues living in multigenerational homes. I mean, you allgrew up in one

Yeah and I'm scarred for life

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Elderly parents + one sibling who throws all-night keggers every weekend + other sibling with a wife and baby and real job is a very different dynamic from just “parents and kids”.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Elderly parents + one sibling who throws all-night keggers every weekend + other sibling with a wife and baby and real job is a very different dynamic from just “parents and kids”.

just invite the elderly parents and kids to the kegger

https://twitter.com/SomethingLatino/status/1516175812277510147

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

ProperGanderPusher posted:

sounds like a pretty dope setup tho, lot of load-bearing joists

elderly parent dispenses wisdom and support, helps watch kid
party sibling keeps things fun, helps working parents relax on the weekend
working parents provide stability

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

War and Pieces posted:

just invite the elderly parents and kids to the kegger

https://twitter.com/SomethingLatino/status/1516175812277510147

No white family is this cool unfortunately.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Americans need a healthier party culture. Youths need to calm down and elders need to lighten up.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i've been thinking more and more about some sort of multi-family living arrangement as my parents and in-laws age

we're not there yet, but when/if faced with putting them in some sort of managed care situation where someone who is underpaid, overworked, and has their own life stressors is taking care of my family as a job... i dunno, i'm close enough to all of them that I would make drastic life changes to avoid it

the only thing that keeps my wife and i from doing it preemptively is that there are no loving jobs for us in areas that have actual multi-family homes we could afford

(and "affording" those houses means pooling resources with everyone because lol we never could)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My dad died at 46, sure saves me from some difficult future decisions!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i've been thinking more and more about some sort of multi-family living arrangement as my parents and in-laws age

we're not there yet, but when/if faced with putting them in some sort of managed care situation where someone who is underpaid, overworked, and has their own life stressors is taking care of my family as a job... i dunno, i'm close enough to all of them that I would make drastic life changes to avoid it

the only thing that keeps my wife and i from doing it preemptively is that there are no loving jobs for us in areas that have actual multi-family homes we could afford

(and "affording" those houses means pooling resources with everyone because lol we never could)

having just watched my business partner go through this with his elderly mom (ten years older than my parents) it's goddamn awful and heartbreaking.

our shop is physically attached to the house his mother lived in with his sister so they made a real earnest effort to provide for her but once mobility issues became more severe than "needs a cane" it was curtains. even with two able, willing and caring people, if those people are also working full days it becomes a mess. at least they found her a local place near family friends who can supplement the facility/community but holy poo poo. A catastrophic stroke/heart attack seems like it would be a blessing.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

poemdexter posted:

No white family is this cool unfortunately.

my sister posted some videos on social media when she visited a friend's family in Costa Rica and the drat kids were still partying at 5am the day after New Years

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/M4639130746

The nastiest house I've ever viewed, the basement had a collapsed sewer line and unremediated water intrusion that made the entire house smell like poo poo from top to bottom. Didn't even bother going upstairs to view the bedrooms. Just went contingent lol

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The nastiest house I've ever viewed, the basement had a collapsed sewer line and unremediated water intrusion that made the entire house smell like poo poo from top to bottom. Didn't even bother going upstairs to view the bedrooms. Just went contingent lol

hmm not a single basement photo

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

i am harry posted:

hmm not a single basement photo

always a red flag for me.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol

Flood Risk for 1118 Sarah St

Flood Factor is extreme, 9 out of 10
Flood Factor™
This property has a 99.80% risk of flooding over 30 years. This property’s risk of flood is increasing as weather patterns change. Flooding in this area is caused by precipitation.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol

Flood Factor™
This property has a 99.80% risk of flooding over 30 years. This property’s risk of flood is increasing as weather patterns change. Flooding in this area is caused by precipitation.
lmao that you pulled this from the listing itself

amazing

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Eight-Six posted:

even if I had enough money to buy some land, put a big ol' house on it, and then also have an in-law suite for when one of my parents inevitably dies before the other, i would have to think real hard about doing that if that parent happened to be my mother. bless that woman but i'm sure i'd die next from the stress

My mom cared for my grandmother for over a decade and it completely ruined her. Wrecked her finances, destroyed basically all of her non-work social connections, and also nearly literally killed her from the combination of stress and being unable to deal with her own health issues. So, I mean, yeah. It's not really an easy or good solution when multigenerational living is packaged alongside a society that does not care if you live or die.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Paradoxish posted:

My mom cared for my grandmother for over a decade and it completely ruined her. Wrecked her finances, destroyed basically all of her non-work social connections, and also nearly literally killed her from the combination of stress and being unable to deal with her own health issues. So, I mean, yeah. It's not really an easy or good solution when multigenerational living is packaged alongside a society that does not care if you live or die.

Caregivers die at a higher rate than those who are given care. As someone who was a caregiver off and on for someone in poor health for the better part of a decade, I still have a lot of trauma wrapped up in it. Especially since there were other people around me in my family who could have given care, but either didn't give a poo poo or waffled between not giving a poo poo and being worse at it than if they'd done nothing.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol

Flood Factor™

Flooding in the south side isn't as much of a concern so much as all the basements have foundations that have been leaking water like crazy for 100+ years so they're moldy death traps.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

Two years taking care of my Mom during cancer treatment, she died last October. I don't think I'll ever be 100% again, and I'm dreading Dad's decline.

Unless multigenerational housing also includes several healthy, capable adults without kids of their own, it's not really a solution.

Anyway, I enjoyed the Illinois anecdotes. Urbana sounds nice and affordable.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/austinlouisray/status/1646589415878270977?s=20

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"Median weekly earnings of full-time workers were $1,085 in the fourth quarter of 2022."

Concerning

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Salt Fish posted:

"Median weekly earnings of full-time workers were $1,085 in the fourth quarter of 2022."

Concerning

That's 20k a month between 5 ppl and 5 bedrooms. Affordable

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

anime was right posted:

That's 20k a month between 5 ppl and 5 bedrooms. Affordable

This is why we fight to legalize small apartments.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Greg12 posted:

This is why we fight to legalize small apartments.

you will live in a 400sq ft pit for $1900/mo and like it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ammanas posted:

Hey hey I pay that for 800sqft

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
its not a pit its a cozy basement restoration

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Ammanas posted:

I live and work in 400 sq ft and it costs me $2900/mo.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

livin' the life?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

MickeyFinn posted:

wagie cage

Apr 7, 2003

My next door neighbors bought in late 2019 and they're already selling and moving. The minute people have kids and those kids hit 3 years old they nope the gently caress outta the city as fast as possible and all of their "we like living near stuff" poo poo goes right in the toilet, lol

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

My next door neighbors bought in late 2019 and they're already selling and moving. The minute people have kids and those kids hit 3 years old they nope the gently caress outta the city as fast as possible and all of their "we like living near stuff" poo poo goes right in the toilet, lol

Hardly anyone takes advantage of living near stuff anyways. People pay the city expense because they like the idea of living in a city much like people buy guitars and pianos to buy into the idea of being a musician without ever using them.

Apr 7, 2003

They paid $105K, super excited to see what they get when they sell it!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

PoundSand posted:

Hardly anyone takes advantage of living near stuff anyways. People pay the city expense because they like the idea of living in a city much like people buy guitars and pianos to buy into the idea of being a musician without ever using them.
Once you can no longer go to restaurants and bars there's no point

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

anime was right posted:

that's what I was thinking. I don't have kids and I’m already tired by the weekend, but can get it together to go out most nights. if I had to care for a child on top of my job there's no way I'd have the energy to go to stuff no matter how close it was to my front door

Apr 7, 2003

I mean, I live here because I fuckin' hate driving. My wife and I share one car and we put less than 5,000 miles on it a year. That's a good enough reason to stay in the city.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

anime was right posted:

Which just shows that even our decent cities are half-baked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fitzy Fitz posted: