Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Fed has hinted at 1more then done, but cuts have been out of the picture. Idk what this guy is thinking. he thinks bad recession
https://twitter.com/FerroTV/status/1646153288063090689?t=jthY9NwfYXvchFwVeyCO1w&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Yeah its not like my last algebra teacher could answer my questions correctly either. She just ranted about liberals and would call me out in front of the class for guessing on questions. She also gave worse grades to "hoes" and never really explained anything. Just another teacher devoting class time to "odd problems on pages 55 and 56."

A sometimes incorrect language model that isn't an rear end in a top hat is probably better than most US teachers. I know I'm making progress in algebra for the first time in my entire life.

the public education system has been deliberately rotted and has pretty much been set to be destroyed its a ongoing decades long project

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

HallelujahLee posted:

the public education system has been deliberately rotted and has pretty much been set to be destroyed its a ongoing decades long project

which is why it's the natural best application for AI

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

19 o'clock posted:

which is why it's the natural best application for AI

yeah that would be the finishing touch

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I used to fill up my dodge neon with 10 bucks. The Democrats continue to ruin America

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say the problem with "one and done" is that energy prices took a significant dip in March and across April they actually have been on a uptick (at the writing of this post Brent is above $86). This is eventually going to make it's way back in economy and probably "make up" for the slower print in March.

In all honesty, if oil prices are staying high if not slightly rising, I don't see inflation going anywhere. It also means the Fed is still probably locked in with 2 more increases (and even then it remains to be seen what will happen afterward). The issue is the banking sector is getting weaker and as demand for mortgages evaporates (at above 7%), banks are going to continue to see pressure build as the Fed rates continue to advance on them.
The US really hasn't even begun to see things get bad to be honest.

Also, I think it is a mistake to think that falling consumer spending/unemployment is going to be the chief factor in figuring out inflation when it is really about OPEC and how they are going to manage energy costs.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

JamesKPolk posted:

big oh poo poo we're collapsing moment for me was calling the pharmacy to confirm my prescription transferred and being told 'alright we'll fill it but you better hurry cause it's first come first served'

yeah it's hellfucked. there's a hard cap of... 40,000 or maybe 30,000 adderal/generics because DRUGZ WARRIOR BIDEN lowered it, they can't be imported because schedule 2, and oh yes there's an extremely opaque allocation algorithm that has monthly, 3 month and yearly caps so you pharmacy may get 3000 pills this month and 100 next month because whoops you hit your quarterly cap

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

wolfram alpha passed calculus for me over 10 years ago so i'd just use that if you need help with math instead of the verbose garbage generator

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I got my first car in 1998 and there was a gas station called Gas Warz selling gas for 88 cents a gallon.

the irony of the name of the gas station was lost on me, at the time

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

There are examples out there of folks using autogpt scripts with gpt-4 to do some pretty impressive tasks using different apis, people are starting to use it more than just as a chatbot which points to where development will trend in the future I think. Once it reaches an "acceptable" level of correct one-shot answers generally, people will jam it into all sorts of stuff to spit out all sorts of content.

What's worse though are there are anecdotes out there of people submitting papers they wrote from like ten years ago into plagiarism checker sites that say entire paragraphs are written by AIs, and these sites are what teachers force you to submit to when you turn in papers lol. Like it or not education/homework is hosed at the moment and I don't envy being an English teacher right now.

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 15:22 on Apr 12, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that's nice, how do you know it's true though?

I asked it if it knows Suzerain, and how to win the war against Rumburg there. It told me to flank and use my abilities (it's basically a text adventure). Also should you slowly stir piranha etch? Seemed pretty hype on the idea.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
ill never forget a price war between rival gas stations who drove prices down to 19 cents a gallon in 98 (i think, somewhere in 96-99). filled up the truck ,filled up the 100 gallon gas tank in the bank, and i think my dad made a few more trips because he'd fill up the spare 500 gallon tank we had and then go back and get more. getting 100 gallons for under $20 (by a penny) was just :hellyeah:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

ill never forget a price war between rival gas stations who drove prices down to 19 cents a gallon in 98 (i think, somewhere in 96-99). filled up the truck ,filled up the 100 gallon gas tank in the bank, and i think my dad made a few more trips because he'd fill up the spare 500 gallon tank we had and then go back and get more. getting 100 gallons for under $20 (by a penny) was just :hellyeah:

You can thank the Saudis.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
why do we even teach anything to people besides how to look things up online it’s all right there anyway.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

80$/hour is a ridiculous wage :thermidor:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

There are examples out there of folks using autogpt scripts with gpt-4 to do some pretty impressive tasks using different apis, people are starting to use it more than just as a chatbot which points to where development will trend in the future I think. Once it reaches an "acceptable" level of correct one-shot answers generally, people will jam it into all sorts of stuff to spit out all sorts of content.

What's worse though are there are anecdotes out there of people submitting papers they wrote from like ten years ago into plagiarism checker sites that say entire paragraphs are written by AIs, and these sites are what teachers force you to submit to when you turn in papers lol. Like it or not education/homework is hosed at the moment and I don't envy being an English teacher right now.

these plagiarism checking sites and software retain a copy of the work you submitted and add it to their database of comparisons. then they sell themselves to the next college or institution by bragging about how many unique pieces they have in their comparison database.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

love that the call to action at the end of all this is to sign a petition lol

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Freelance work isn't consistent work, I did freelance IT and charged about the same. A slow month or a month with more short contracts than long meant going back to ramen for a bit

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
if you want someone to do something about chat gpt start spamming congress with paper letters written by ai

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

That's a contract rate. It's not like they're doing 40 hours a week of billable work.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fits my needs posted:

you know it gives wrong answers confidently all the time right? hope ur looking up stuff on wikipwdia or some thing

It's hilariously off base on anything I'd say I'm a SME on, but it does this thing where when I point it out, it doesn't skip a beat and says "You're right. (Repeats my correction)" and goes back to prattling wrong.

I don't know if people here have jobs where they have to apply by technical knowledge and theory, but for me, and this is most obvious where it's things I know forwards and backwards, GPT is hilariously wrong and just reading a good Oxford Handbook of X would serve you infinitely better.

Justin Tyme posted:

OpenAI developed a checker that's quick and easy to use. The tell is that, as a language model blah blah blah, it has certain stock words and phrases, and uses a particularly trite and repetitive writing style for introductions and conclusions. If you paraphrase it enough to pass the checker, you may as well paraphrase the proper sources and save yourself the frustration, while knowing the work is correct.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:50 on Apr 12, 2023

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

https://twitter.com/JOSourcing/status/1645920576169730048?t=sHz7J1uHF6wptM1SllJTSg&s=19

Or to just pump out 4-5x as much productivity for the same amount of pay, lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

80$/hr is like 1/3rd the wage I receive for building machinery. this world loving sucks.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

when the sewing machine was invented, tailors and seamstresses rioted because they felt their jobs were threatened, but the world continued. advertising writers are mad too but we will survive.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The advertising "industry" should be destroyed

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

when the sewing machine was invented, tailors and seamstresses rioted because they felt their jobs were threatened, but the world continued. advertising writers are mad too but we will survive.

Maybe look up what happened to America in the decades after losing its textile industry. Just a thought.

“The world continued” is essentially a meaningless phrase.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The advertising "industry" should be destroyed

Bill Hicks was right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Mn2NbjlqU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the people who were stuck doing monotonous textiles work were then freed to pursue activities of personal interest and self growth like writing advertising copy?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i closed my thesis on “what is creativity” with this quote.

Apr 7, 2003

lol bike tires are $80 each now

(e for ones that aren't crap )

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

https://twitter.com/JOSourcing/status/1645920576169730048?t=sHz7J1uHF6wptM1SllJTSg&s=19

Or to just pump out 4-5x as much productivity for the same amount of pay, lol

Lmao all the big scifi and fantasy publishing houses had to close their submissions recently because they experienced like a 60,000% increase in submissions and it was all ai dogshit

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

holy poo poo you arent lyin, even the serfas secas I used to like are like $35 now

Apr 7, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

holy poo poo you arent lyin, even the serfas secas I used to like are like $35 now

not sure what the gently caress is going on here

i've paid less than that for 14s for my old lovely Cavalier back in the day

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Spaced God posted:

Lmao all the big scifi and fantasy publishing houses had to close their submissions recently because they experienced like a 60,000% increase in submissions and it was all ai dogshit

looking forward to 50x book series for kids that are all like this.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Paradoxish posted:

The flip side to this is that the people screaming the loudest about AI revolutionizing everything have a huge amount of overlap with the scammers who push poo poo like crypto at every possible opportunity. Browse through sites like Udemy and you'll find a ridiculous number of "prompt engineering" and related AI courses already, because a specific group has latched onto this as their next grift and that group tends to be extremely online and extremely good at creating hype.

It's this. Fundamentally, this poo poo will not work in a lot of cases where copyright (AI 'creative' output cannot be cast iron defendable without enough work that it seriously hurts the value prep at best) or accountability matter, and the law on either of those is not gonna shift because if it does, it breaks the economy that deal with those things nearly completely. These models are crimes.txt in more ways then I can count, and they're trying to offload this piece of computational corium before the law catches up and kicks their rear end. Don't try and cheat using this poo poo, as soon as detection catches up - and if the economy is to stay functional, it will have to, one way or another - you're gonna get birched.

Frankly, if we wanna trade acedotes, I trust a lifer art design lead saying some high power names are explicitly banning it in recent contract amendments, but being necessarily cagy due to NDAs a lot more then reddit acedotes, because it is *entirely* predictable from current copyright law.

Frankly the most Doomsday economics - and thus, most plausible - is that the real money is finding it and getting it off sites and asset chains of title.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

not sure what the gently caress is going on here

i've paid less than that for 14s for my old lovely Cavalier back in the day

Lol, they're approaching the price of motorcycle tires

Just put some fatties on your bike

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...rCode=black_tan

ayyyy lmao

Apr 7, 2003

I straight up put a new set of shoes on my lovely old Cavalier in 2010 for less than it cost me to buy four bicycle tires now. great system we've got.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
im sure the ppl into that stuff can afford it, not that big of a deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

ChaptGPT probably wrote the petition too