Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Temenos chapter 3 (Stormhail): you motherfuckers

Also it says something about the quality of the writing that the villains in Temenos's story are exactly who it looked like they'd be from the start and yet it's still compelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Temenos chapter 3 (Stormhail): you motherfuckers

Also it says something about the quality of the writing that the villains in Temenos's story are exactly who it looked like they'd be from the start and yet it's still compelling

I'm just doing that one now myself. It's also great how Temenos just drops the smug attitude because those bastards killed his friend and he is not happy about it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

(shamelessly stolen from the funny images thread)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

(shamelessly stolen from the funny images thread)

Lol

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Anyone know of good places to farm soulstones midgame? I'm slowly but surely working my way through. I have 6 penultimate chapters to go before I start on the final ones. I have access to the final Winterlands town and all my chars are at least level 30 if that helps

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Catapult! Go go go!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

saladscooper posted:

Anyone know of good places to farm soulstones midgame? I'm slowly but surely working my way through. I have 6 penultimate chapters to go before I start on the final ones. I have access to the final Winterlands town and all my chars are at least level 30 if that helps

You can buy Medium Soulstones at the Black Market at night in the Brightlands.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Holy poo poo at Temenos ch3. This game is so good.

Between FE: Engage, this, and Prime Remastered goddamn i'm eating good

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
The super boss is not messing around this time, hachi machi. That took me drat near an hour.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Man the sheer amount of sprites, quality of the spritework, and number of unique voicelines in this game is something else, just an absolutely insane dedication to detail.

Any fun details people have noticed? One of my favorites so far is that everyone has a unique Bewildering grace animation- Hikari does a little kung-fu pose, Oswald just does an uncomfortable white guy shuffle, and Partitio does a MJ hat tilt. Also if you use stimulate with any of the dudes they rip their shirt off lol

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Man the sheer amount of sprites, quality of the spritework, and number of unique voicelines in this game is something else, just an absolutely insane dedication to detail.

Any fun details people have noticed? One of my favorites so far is that everyone has a unique Bewildering grace animation- Hikari does a little kung-fu pose, Oswald just does an uncomfortable white guy shuffle, and Partitio does a MJ hat tilt. Also if you use stimulate with any of the dudes they rip their shirt off lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I really love the boss fight in Osvald's chapter 4 for his full-BP line changing to ":byodood: FORGIVE ME, RITA!!"

I totally need to try casting Dancer skills more often just to see what they all do though, I didn't know they go that hard with the animations :allears:.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finished Osvald's story, the first one I finished because I couldn't ignore the narrative urgency of needing to go save his daughter.

That was a surprisingly satisfying ending. Sure, it's "the power of love" again, but if there's one thing about Octopath 2 stories, it's that they lean into stories that might seem cliche but then just tell them really well so they work anyway. Osvald learning that what's important is protecting his family, and that he isn't alone, and drawing on that power to win made perfect sense for his arc.

The one thing that has me a little bit like :shrug: is the whole "Shadow" thing. Not what it is, that seems pretty clear (and related to things in other characters' stories, like Clan Ku's curse or the dark poison rain), but just how it differs from the shadow magic anyone can do with the Thief job or a Shadow Soulstone. I feel like they probably could've picked a different name for that power that wasn't a term interchangeable with one of the six normal elements.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
what no you're thinking of dark magic, which is completely different and part of the natural order

you silly goose

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

what no you're thinking of dark magic, which is completely different and part of the natural order

you silly goose

And yet they call the dark magic soulstones shadow soulstones

Get your terminology straight game!! :argh:

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can buy Medium Soulstones at the Black Market at night in the Brightlands.

thanks! i don't think you could buy any in the first game so this is huge

unfortunately this will not help with that drat church window quest in my starter's town but you win some you lose some

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

You can start to find them in people's inventories usually in the towns a number of the chapter 3's occur in. Just make sure to always be checking everyone's inventories for them to use path actions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man after bouncing off Octopath 1 just a dozen or so hours in, multiple times, I am absolutely in love with Octopath 2 and I am definitely going to 100% it. This game's good as hell

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Finished Osvald's story, the first one I finished because The one thing that has me a little bit like :shrug: is the whole "Shadow" thing. Not what it is, that seems pretty clear (and related to things in other characters' stories, like Clan Ku's curse or the dark poison rain), but just how it differs from the shadow magic anyone can do with the Thief job or a Shadow Soulstone. I feel like they probably could've picked a different name for that power that wasn't a term interchangeable with one of the six normal elements.

Yeah that has me wondering a little if the Japanese translation is different in any meaningful way, or if another term like "Umbral" might have worked better

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah that has me wondering a little if the Japanese translation is different in any meaningful way, or if another term like "Umbral" might have worked better

I figured it was meant to be Void or something, not "Shadow".

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Osvald’s ending graphic has big Guy Incognito vibes:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I figured it was meant to be Void or something, not "Shadow".

Yeah I figured something like "the Void" or "the Abyss" might've been a clearer term for what they were going for.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Well Throne's ending sure uh happened

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

Man after bouncing off Octopath 1 just a dozen or so hours in, multiple times, I am absolutely in love with Octopath 2 and I am definitely going to 100% it. This game's good as hell

Absolutely same. OT1 was like a rough outline.

The music has been sticking in my head for weeks now, it's killing/healing me.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Finally starting 2 in earnest. Picked Hikari and then grabbed Partitio and Agnea.

Should I be doing Partitio's commerce sidequests asap or can I set them aside till I have the full party assembled?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Zaggitz posted:

Finally starting 2 in earnest. Picked Hikari and then grabbed Partitio and Agnea.

Should I be doing Partitio's commerce sidequests asap or can I set them aside till I have the full party assembled?

You can start every story and move on whenever you want. So if you stockpile the stories up just go to the pub and play back any chapter you want. You can also stop any chapter whenever you want.

Got terrible ADHD like me and get half through one person's chapter and want to do anothers? or do anything else? it saves and you can go back at any point. Rules.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zaggitz posted:

None of them involve any combat, you can do them whenever you want. One you probably won't be able to finish until later in the game, another leads to a bunch of background information that you probably won't be able to appreciate fully until you're further in the game, and one leads to a fun bonus with no gameplay effect.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Man the superboss is rough, I managed to beat it by combining forbidden tomes and that amulet that increases your damage as you lose health, but I can't imagine fighting it fairly as being anything but a slog

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zaggitz posted:

You will eventually need to complete any one of them to move on in Partitio's story.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Barreft posted:

You can start every story and move on whenever you want. So if you stockpile the stories up just go to the pub and play back any chapter you want. You can also stop any chapter whenever you want.

Got terrible ADHD like me and get half through one person's chapter and want to do anothers? or do anything else? it saves and you can go back at any point. Rules.

Holy poo poo I didn't know this. Of course thanks to adhd I put the game down so there's that. Thank you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

You will eventually need to complete any one of them to move on in Partitio's story.

To specify, you need to do any of the three for his C3, but there's one specific one you need to do for his C4.

Certainly doesn't hurt to do all of them, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mega64 posted:

To specify, you need to do any of the three for his C3, but there's one specific one you need to do for his C4.

Certainly doesn't hurt to do all of them, though.

The one in Sai's the easiest to do, and can be done then and there the moment you get to it. The others require a fair bit of effort to complete and are mid/late-game things.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you hire the guy from the Sai commerce quest you get 20% off at all shops and when using purchase, while Partitio is in your party. It’s a secret bonus.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you hire the guy from the Sai commerce quest you get 20% off at all shops and when using purchase, while Partitio is in your party. It’s a secret bonus.

There is a merchant in one of the Beastling villages with the Silver Tongue skill that gives 20% off purchases. I am sure there are plenty more around. They were a fairly cheap hire.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ragequit posted:

There is a merchant in one of the Beastling villages with the Silver Tongue skill that gives 20% off purchases. I am sure there are plenty more around. They were a fairly cheap hire.

Yeah but none of them are legendary merchants voiced by Richard Epcar, so he’s better.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lol poo poo I thought I was super badass and then I tried to duel the one cleric who you can learn Divine Protection from and quickly learned I am not yet hot poo poo

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Not going to lie, if I knew Castti would be this awesome, I probably would have started with her rather than Hikari

I blame the apothecary kid in OT1 for this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Castti's story is fantastic, maybe the best one in the game.

I ended up liking Hikari's a lot more than I was expecting. I picked him because he looked cool and seemed like a good "lead" but I figured he'd have one of the more boring stories. But by his chapter 4 I was pretty invested.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

MechaX posted:

Not going to lie, if I knew Castti would be this awesome, I probably would have started with her rather than Hikari

I blame the apothecary kid in OT1 for this

Alfyn did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

Castti's story is fantastic, maybe the best one in the game.

I ended up liking Hikari's a lot more than I was expecting. I picked him because he looked cool and seemed like a good "lead" but I figured he'd have one of the more boring stories. But by his chapter 4 I was pretty invested.

I was showing the game to an irony poisoned buddy of mind during his first chapter, and imagine my pleasant surprise when, after a whole series of melodramatic events with my buddy making gags about whole sale slaughter, the game tipped it's hand. Very satisfying. It's just brilliant.