Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Anything you use to detect can be used to tune. There's a feedback loop there. Also, like, what do you think is used in an automated detector? A model! And if the model artifact itself is infringing...

You're also going to have false positives and start flagging human work as ai-generated, which will I guess be used to absolutely crush people in court. The standard there not being accuracy but rather what you can get past a judge once. Like, look at forensics and despair.

But the main effect I think if the court cases go bad will be to kill the FOSS side of this, I don't think the closed side is killable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

not sure what the gently caress is going on here

i've paid less than that for 14s for my old lovely Cavalier back in the day

They know that bikes are for people that can afford to pay $85 for a tire.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Bike shops that sell secondhand bikes and parts often have slightly used or new but resold tires for very cheap. I've gotten a lot of nice tires for less than $5. I hate those Serfas tires. They suck.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

"basic human-powered transportation is for the rich and should be expensive" - America

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

if you want someone to do something about chat gpt start spamming congress with paper letters written by ai

StratGoatCom posted:

It's this. Fundamentally, this poo poo will not work in a lot of cases where copyright (AI 'creative' output cannot be cast iron defendable without enough work that it seriously hurts the value prep at best) or accountability matter, and the law on either of those is not gonna shift because if it does, it breaks the economy that deal with those things nearly completely. These models are crimes.txt in more ways then I can count, and they're trying to offload this piece of computational corium before the law catches up and kicks their rear end. Don't try and cheat using this poo poo, as soon as detection catches up - and if the economy is to stay functional, it will have to, one way or another - you're gonna get birched.

Frankly, if we wanna trade acedotes, I trust a lifer art design lead saying some high power names are explicitly banning it in recent contract amendments, but being necessarily cagy due to NDAs a lot more then reddit acedotes, because it is *entirely* predictable from current copyright law.

Frankly the most Doomsday economics - and thus, most plausible - is that the real money is finding it and getting it off sites and asset chains of title.

this isn't a problem because our legal system already has a built-in solution to the copyright question. if the company using potentially derivative work is microsoft or google and has more money to spend on lawyers and bribing judges than the owner of the copyright, then they get to either get away with it or blackmail the copyright owner into selling the rights since their only other options would be to not enforce their ownership or enter into a court battle they can't afford. on the other hand, if the copyright owner is the one with more money and in-house counsel, then the copyright is enforced.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nothus posted:

more like Nothoughts

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bicycling is for rich elitists :lofty: Now let me tell you about the fantastic deal I got on my $40,000 truk.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Buffer posted:

Anything you use to detect can be used to tune. There's a feedback loop there. Also, like, what do you think is used in an automated detector? A model! And if the model artifact itself is infringing...

You're also going to have false positives and start flagging human work as ai-generated, which will I guess be used to absolutely crush people in court. The standard there not being accuracy but rather what you can get past a judge once. Like, look at forensics and despair.

But the main effect I think if the court cases go bad will be to kill the FOSS side of this, I don't think the closed side is killable.

The closed side runs into the same issue for copyright defense, but won't have the same problems for offical use becasue they'll put a watermark of some varity in to avoid liability and DMCA/lawsuit the hell out of anyone caught hacking it out or otherwise trying to defeat it, because it puts them at risk of getting the Mouse up in their business.

poo poo will end up being chased into the darkweb and prototyping.

quote:

this isn't a problem because our legal system already has a built-in solution to the copyright question. if the company using potentially derivative work is microsoft or google and has more money to spend on lawyers and bribing judges than the owner of the copyright, then they get to either get away with it or blackmail the copyright owner into selling the rights since their only other options would be to not enforce their ownership or enter into a court battle they can't afford. on the other hand, if the copyright owner is the one with more money and in-house counsel, then the copyright is enforced.

You misunderstand the problem. It's not the training assets, it's that nonhuman poo poo can't be copyrighted, and given that changing that risks the copyright system getting the Clarkesworld treatment... well, they'd be fools to change it.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Apr 12, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

"Bicycles are leisure toys for the rich so there's no point in building infrastructure"
"nobody in America rides a bike for their day-to-day errands (because there's no infrastructure) so clearly they must just be leisure toys for the rich."

Repeat as many times as necessary to get nothing done ever wrt non-automobile transportation

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I think we've been so primed by the Juicero-esque silicon valley garbage and crypto hustle scams over the last 5 years that we may be failing to recognize an actual transformative technology has come along in terms of AI

Skepticism is always good, and I think the frankly stupid media coverage of these things as semi-sentient genius bots has contributed to it, but chatgpt and the like are actually quite good at generating bullshit, and people are underestimating how much of our economy is dedicated to the production and consumption of bullshit

Apr 7, 2003

Old Story posted:

I think we've been so primed by the Juicero-esque silicon valley garbage and crypto hustle scams over the last 5 years that we may be failing to recognize an actual transformative technology has come along in terms of AI

Skepticism is always good, and I think the frankly stupid media coverage of these things as semi-sentient genius bots has contributed to it, but chatgpt and the like are actually quite good at generating bullshit, and people are underestimating how much of our economy is dedicated to the production and consumption of bullshit

Useless bullshit is still useless bullshit even if a massive portion of our rent-seeking economy is based on it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DaSkrubKing/status/1645797570537721859?t=8UNsIAdruSlvQaigXbAd-g&s=19

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Right, but if a significant amount of people lose the ability to make a living producing things that are useless, it could have huge economic consequences

maybe we need to think about decoupling people's ability to survive from their ability to be economically productive or something

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Leftists are right

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

sexual centrist

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Old Story posted:

Right, but if a significant amount of people lose the ability to make a living producing things that are useless, it could have huge economic consequences

maybe we need to think about decoupling people's ability to survive from their ability to be economically productive or something

Precisely, plus the damage to net functionality from the crapfloods and the attempts to filter them out and ensuring that undefensable poo poo doesn't enter chains of title. It's a blasted mess that no one wins in, even if it's not the creative apocalypse that techbro dipshits try and market it as.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This poo poo is essentially a chat bot that googles stuff for you and everyone's losing their mind over it lol

Some well paid jobs out there can be replaced with a chatbot that searches Google for you, maybe some will slide into the trades, might drive wages down for that industry as well.

The American consumer just keeps winning.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
the labor theory of value is like quantum mechanics: both are exemplars of how being told to read a textbook to get a more in depth explanation of something makes talking heads write really stupid poo poo

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

StratGoatCom posted:

The closed side runs into the same issue for copyright defense, but won't have the same problems for offical use becasue they'll put a watermark of some varity in to avoid liability and DMCA/lawsuit the hell out of anyone caught hacking it out or otherwise trying to defeat it, because it puts them at risk of getting the Mouse up in their business.

poo poo will end up being chased into the darkweb and prototyping.

The closed model benefits from not telling you what the training set is. It can run / use the same things and just... not admit to it. Any simularities chalked up to training on an artists influences. W/o direct access to the model in order to see how it works with the latent space as well as sample images, only outputs.

Then there's the fact that the vast majority of the human corpus of knowledge vis a vis visual and written arts is in the public domain.

StratGoatCom posted:

You misunderstand the problem. It's not the training assets, it's that nonhuman poo poo can't be copyrighted, and given that changing that risks the copyright system getting the Clarkesworld treatment... well, they'd be fools to change it.

That just means stability can't claim copyright, and maybe you can't copyright direct output. I would just claim copyright when I use it as a tool.

Unless you mean something like whenever I enhance photos I invalidate their copyright by sullying the purity of the human essence with machine blood or something.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Buffer posted:

That just means stability can't claim copyright, and maybe you can't copyright direct output. I would just claim copyright when I use it as a tool.

No, that is not in fact how it works. You cannot copyright the product of wholly mechanical processes or instructions, either of which is the case. You can copyright stuff you do with that output, but ONLY the human amendments, which given what AI is free real estate as soon as you teach something to prise out the AI content. The best usecase is for references for concept art, because you have a human artifact to start a chain of title.

This poo poo is not ruddy new, and it's this ignorance that lets the techbros get away with poo poo.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Apr 12, 2023

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Shear Modulus posted:

i don't mean the law is gonna fix this, we are seeing how that's worked out w air bnb and uber.

im saying we should use chat gpt as what it is, a noise and propaganda machine, and use it to jam one of capitals communication lines

like don't even make the letters about ai, they can be about anything

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Shear Modulus posted:

they make sure to gently caress you anyway because if you get debt forgiven you have to pay income taxes on the full amount

i was curious about this and if it's cancelled as a gift or bequest it isn't taxable, there are other exceptions too but the whole thing is really arcane (thanks intuit!)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

i was curious about this and if it's cancelled as a gift or bequest it isn't taxable, there are other exceptions too but the whole thing is really arcane (thanks intuit!)

It's not Intuit, its to prevent people from lending money and then 'cancelling the debt' to avoid income taxes.

Buffer
May 6, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

No, that is not in fact how it works. You cannot copyright the product of wholly mechanical processes or instructions, either of which is the case. You can copyright stuff you do with that output, but ONLY the human amendments, which given what AI is free real estate as soon as you teach something to prise out the AI content. The best usecase is for references for concept art, because you have a human artifact to start a chain of title.

This poo poo is not ruddy new, and it's this ignorance that lets the techbros get away with poo poo.

cool, so because samsung enhances the photos on my phone using a diffusion model I can't copyright them? Purely e2e mechanical and software process except me choosing to click button.

I use that example because that's precisely how a diffuser is used to enhance a sketch or photo. Another workflow is utilizing diffusion models in a way very akin to collage - mixing / welding together different models and weights and prompts across different areas of an image. Humans are *heavily involved* - it is not purely mechanical outside the waifu promptsmiths.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol jfc

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Some well paid jobs out there can be replaced with a chatbot that searches Google for you, maybe some will slide into the trades, might drive wages down for that industry as well.

The American consumer just keeps winning.

I know most posters probably don’t work in policy/academia/military but lol you could not just shrug off accountability by saying the chatbot is responsible. Presumably in private sector too, you’re not just paid for when you’re right but when you’re wrong.

Remember these things don’t actually know anything they are not good at applying concepts from different contexts or disciplines, so problems very rapidly add up if you charge it with any kind of responsibility.

Which isn’t to say 90% of professional writing is filler but that 10% can’t be left to something searching google and drawing… what? The most probabilistically likely conclusions?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Apr 12, 2023

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
inflation is cooling just as we're about to enter election season. good news for joe biden i'd say

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Buffer posted:

cool, so because samsung enhances the photos on my phone using a diffusion model I can't copyright them? Purely e2e mechanical and software process except me choosing to click button.

I use that example because that's precisely how a diffuser is used to enhance a sketch or photo. Another workflow is utilizing diffusion models in a way very akin to collage - mixing / welding together different models and weights and prompts across different areas of an image. Humans are *heavily involved* - it is not purely mechanical outside the waifu promptsmiths.

No, because a human lined up the image, and the bits of that genned image may be possible to dig out, as well as the nature of each bit. Its a useless title, not worth the case to defend when you get safer cost effect with existung technique.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

AI is eating into concept art, promotional art, and commission work too.

Wonky eyes or 6 fingered hands can be masked out and fixed with a button press now. Power users can save specific characters to reuse and pose them exactly as needed like a 3D model so they don't look like randomized mutants on each generation. There's a huge variety of advanced tools beyond prompting being rapidly released.

Some companies refuse to use AI out of principal or legal fears, but tons are jumping in head first to massively reduce billable hours.

Apr 7, 2003

haha. lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Old Story posted:

AI isn't going to kick over the system and lead to glorious revolution. It's just going to immiserate another layer of the middle class and accelerate the upward accumulation of wealth.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

AI is eating into concept art, promotional art, and commission work too.

Wonky eyes or 6 fingered hands can be masked out and fixed with a button press now. Power users can save specific characters to reuse and pose them exactly as needed like a 3D model so they don't look like randomized mutants on each generation. There's a huge variety of advanced tools beyond prompting being rapidly released.

Some companies refuse to use AI out of principal or legal fears, but tons are jumping in head first to massively reduce billable hours.

Ehhh, given the rumblings I've heard out of contract and even romance cover art, this poo poo may well be starting to slow because the current doctrine makes it a mess to approach, and the object lesson of Clarkesworld suggests good reason to be very cautious in any amendments to that law that make it easier to protect AI output. Not least because copyright is a really useful thing to have on any asset if money or reputation is involved.

Nothus posted:

AI isn't going to kick over the system and lead to glorious revolution. It's just going to immiserate another layer of the middle class and accelerate the upward accumulation of wealth.

That, and massively worsen the rate of epistemic toxification and the various obtrusive countermeasures needed to avoid making GBS threads things up.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Apr 12, 2023

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

lmao I completely forgot about that whole thing. they had that huge contest and then Covid made offices taboo.

Apr 7, 2003

Red Baron posted:

lmao I completely forgot about that whole thing. they had that huge contest and then Covid made offices taboo.

I guarantee you it's never completed and I guarantee you they still get to keep whatever Virginia gave them to build there anyway

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nothus posted:

Moronic thought my friend

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nothus posted:

Do they not sell cheap bikes at Walmart

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

Moronic thought my friend

It's not entirely without merit. After all, the free market determines the price. If they can make a profit selling at 85$ a tires, why should they reduce the price?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think Walmart got rid of those bike sections. I haven't seen any Walmart with those bikes up on racks in the past 6 years around here

Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

People in the US like to pretend that bicycles are all owned and ridden by dentists on weekends because the idea that there might be Americans who are too broke to drive around in an F-250 is distasteful to them.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i remember a friend telling me bikes had become very expensive and this was probably around a year ago including the tires

Apr 7, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

i remember a friend telling me bikes had become very expensive and this was probably around a year ago including the tires

Prices went up with supply chain problems due to Covid-19 and shipping issues, and never went back down. The bike I bought in January 2020 for $1400 is now $2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
in America if you want a bike you just steal it