Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Finger Prince posted:

I don't know if the typical vehicles that GM typically shits out on the regular are a result of listening to, ignoring, or completely misinterpreting the results of customer surveys.

I feel like they have their top engineers design these absolutely perfect vehicles, based on a century of customer feedback.

Then give the design to the Cost Analysis team and go "make this retail for 35k".

cruft posted:

I feel like I haven't communicated well enough why I'm even bringing this up. Let me try again:

It sucks.

Agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

It sounds like Apple has some pretty big plans for carplay going forward so it may see some big improvements in the future. Meanwhile most legacy systems will be locked behind upgrades that you have to pay for under the guise of “map updates”

Honestly, I’ve read that Apple’s more robust CarPlay integration is what spooked GM.

Seeing another company come in and possibly get access to all that driving data without paying so much as a dime for it just freaked them the gently caress out.

So yeah, running to Google seems like a weird choice but better to make a deal with favorable terms than get cutout entirely?

Or maybe it’s all a final straw type deal to allow the marketer/finance people have their way with plans for in-car subscriptions.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doom Rooster posted:

I finally just got a car with Apple CarPlay after years of goons saying that it’s so amazing they won’t even consider a phone without it.

It’s like, pretty okay? The map on a the screen is neat, but hasn’t really been actually useful yet.
A lot of people were coming from the era of, like, Chevy running WinME and the infotainment system being, like, Java or flash basically? Or a system where the uSB that holds your music can only access 1000 songs.

So the map on the screen being neat (i.e. actually smooth to use, easy to navigate to alternates like a coffee shop or restaurant) and also updated was and still is pretty big.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kill me now posted:

Until the car I’m buying has native support for waze, carplay is a 100% must have.

I need to know where the state troopers are at on my commute.

No I am not just going to “drive the speed limit”

Exactly. And accidents. And automatic rerouting around construction, and road closures, and traffic, and road hazard alerts, and Christina Aguilera giving you motivational, uplifting directions.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

Also, without going into detail, gMaps has been doing some really creepy poo poo involving my work movement data and I am pretty sure the algorithm has drawn some very untrue conclusions about me based on it.

the Three Olives that Google Maps knows is an unmarried heterosexual man who has a great affinity and tolerance for noisy children and poor people and has never ridden on a Turkish bus

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The biggest most convenient use for CarPlay and AA is rental cars. Interface is always consistent and linked with my search history.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

I finally just got a car with Apple CarPlay after years of goons saying that it’s so amazing they won’t even consider a phone without it.

It’s like, pretty okay? The map on a the screen is neat, but hasn’t really been actually useful yet.

The thing I use it for most is controlling my podcasts and the interface for it is actively worse than the phone experience, not wanting to actually play my next podcast without navigating all the way back to my shows, scrolling down to the one I want then selecting it and selecting the next episode. About 90% of the time I have to hit pause then play again to get it to actually start.

Fast forwarding and rewinding with my car controls instead of phone is super nice though.

I cannot imagine having it as a consideration in my next vehicle purchase, much less a deal breaker.

CarPlay imo is still pretty bad for all its benefits. The UI is clunky, the compromises apps make to be compatible can be pretty limiting, and I don't really get why there are no video apps on it if it can do driving detection stuff.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 12, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

CarPlay imo is still pretty bad for all its benefits. The UI is clunky, the compromises apps make to be compatible can be pretty limiting, and I don't really get why there are no video apps on it if it can do driving detection stuff.

its a car not a god drat movie theater

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My movie theater lets me watch YouTube while charging as long as I'm not using CarPlay :shrug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its a car not a god drat movie theater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmcZarv7eFE

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tiny Timbs posted:

My movie theater lets me watch YouTube while charging as long as I'm not using CarPlay :shrug:

If you’re using CarPlay then you’ve clearly got a phone you can use to watch YouTube when you’re not driving. CarPlay if focused on keeping your from touching your phone while driving, supporting apps that aren’t usable while you’re driving isn’t part of the design brief.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yes I understand the typical Apple response is “why would you want to do that.” At least Android Automotive handles it fine so it’s not like I’m actually missing anything. It’s just one way that CarPlay is deficient at modern infotainment stuff compared to alternatives. Maybe that will change with their expansion plans.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 12, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

carplay is deficient because it doesn't let me use my parked car as a tv is certainly a take

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

carplay is deficient because it doesn't let me use my parked car as a tv is certainly a take

Do you often get shocked and confused by common use cases?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I think the Apple stance of “CarPlay is there to provide necessary functions to the driver in a safe way while they are driving and not to be a replacement for your phone” is a good thing for safety, personally.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

carplay is deficient because its interface sucks poo poo

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

kill me now posted:

Until the car I’m buying has native support for waze, carplay is a 100% must have.

I need to know where the state troopers are at on my commute.

No I am not just going to “drive the speed limit”

Why not just use a phone holder?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Because I didn't pay $40k+ to have some jiggly rattily bullshit stuck to my cars windshield or dash when a completely functional, integrated and widespread option exists.

Its 2023, we have the technology!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

QuarkJets posted:

carplay is deficient because its interface sucks poo poo

And keeps getting worse as car makers improve their infotainment systems:

How is this a useful design?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Never pay more than $5k for a car, problem solved

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That's exactly my point. 18" touchscreen with a phone holder suction cupped to it to make it useful. I guess it means you don't need to shell out $$$$ for the interior upgrade that includes a fancy big touchscreen if your phone does a better job.
Any company who tried would probably get sued to oblivion, but it would be great if Pioneer or someone developed aftermarket alternatives that hijacked the display but could still talk to the canbus to adjust mirrors and climate control and all the poo poo they pile in to the screen now.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

mobby_6kl posted:

Never pay more than $5k for a car, problem solved

Can’t wait to drive my ChangLi on I-10.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Finger Prince posted:

That's exactly my point. 18" touchscreen with a phone holder suction cupped to it to make it useful. I guess it means you don't need to shell out $$$$ for the interior upgrade that includes a fancy big touchscreen if your phone does a better job.
Any company who tried would probably get sued to oblivion, but it would be great if Pioneer or someone developed aftermarket alternatives that hijacked the display but could still talk to the canbus to adjust mirrors and climate control and all the poo poo they pile in to the screen now.

These do exist from numerous companies in China. Also there are devices with full Android installs that will hijack that Android Auto or Carplay interfaces for non-approved Android apps.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Three Olives posted:

And keeps getting worse as car makers improve their infotainment systems:

How is this a useful design?

Do you spent a lot of time browsing the apps on your phone on your car? It defaults to your last view and apps. I use Spotify and maps and when I get on Spotify and maps come up. That’s perfectly fine. If I want to use overcast instead I select it from the bottom.

The rest of the Mach-E UI is far more unintelligible and yet it’s still way better than the infotainment in the ID.4 I test drove. I’ll take Apple’s design over Ford randomly moving things around and making them worse just for the sake of change.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The biggest advantage of Android Auto or Carplay that will absolutely never be matched by a mainstream automaker's system is the fact that the car system is just a dumb streaming client. That means software and more importantly hardware updates aren't controlled by the automaker. If I get a new phone, magically my experience gets smoother even though the hardware in the dash is still the same poo poo Ford shipped in 2016. The screen in the car does nothing but decode/display a video stream and pass along touch events.

Also connectivity and upgrades to that connectivity come "for free" with the phone. I don't need to have a separate cellular service plan for my car, and from a long term perspective I never need to worry about losing connectivity forever when the cellular carriers decide to retire older networks. Every OnStar-equipped vehicle from 1996-2004 lost service in 2008 when Verizon turned off its AMPS network and the 2005-2014 models had the same experience just a few months ago when the CDMA network was turned off. When 4G/LTE services are eventually retired almost every connected car currently in existence will be forever offline, but those with AA/CP will still have all the same capabilities as a brand new car would.

Three Olives posted:

If GM/Google is really committed to building out a robust eco system around Android Automotive and able to deliver some really great app experiences, I don't think people will miss Carplay much, it's really not feature rich, at least currently, and the more integrated version is still away off and mostly vaporware right now.
What about the entire history of automotive software should give anyone confidence that GM is committed to a robust ecosystem?

Automakers are getting somewhat better about software updates these days but they're still being dragged kicking and screaming the entire way, and official support for hardware updates is almost nonexistent. Ford wouldn't even officially sell me the parts to upgrade my 2015 model to the 2016+ hardware that supported AA in the first place, even though at least non-nav models are 100% plug and play (nav models the GPS antenna connector changed so a cheap adapter or replacement antenna is required).

A good factory system can definitely be more integrated and offer more features when it comes out, but 5-10 years down the line it's going to be outdated with no official upgrade path. Compare that to one of the Volvo or Mercedes models that were part of the initial CarPlay launch in 2014. Nearly a decade old at this point, the underlying infotainment systems are ancient pieces of poo poo by modern standards, but plug in a phone and you're immediately transported to 2023.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The biggest most convenient use for CarPlay and AA is rental cars. Interface is always consistent and linked with my search history.
This too, this is actually what got me to finally pull the trigger on the upgrade for my car. I rented a Dodge Charger with the UConnect system and loved how it wasn't just Waze or Google Maps but it was *my* Waze with my saved addresses, my settings, etc. It doesn't matter if I'm driving my upgraded Fiesta, my buddy's Kia, a rental car, etc. I get the same interface, the same apps, the same settings, etc. instead of each automaker having their own ecosystem.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Have any manufacturers / apps integrated preconditioning yet?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Have any manufacturers / apps integrated preconditioning yet?

My pop's Kona has preconditioning settings in the app. I think this is fairly standard.

edit: disregard, I think you meant for charging and I do not think it does that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 12, 2023

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

One challenge CP & AA will have with EVs is getting access to battery conditioning. It would suck to get 100kW less at a fast charger because your nav software can't tell your car to warm up the battery.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

One challenge CP & AA will have with EVs is getting access to battery conditioning. It would suck to get 100kW less at a fast charger because your nav software can't tell your car to warm up the battery.

It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. You have your car interface stuff and a button on the screen that launches carplay/AA. Bring up the electrics page, press the precondition button, return to AA for your music and navi.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My pop's Kona has preconditioning settings in the app. I think this is fairly standard.

edit: disregard, I think you meant for charging and I do not think it does that.

Yeah, what I meant is if ABRP / your map software of choice can communicate with the car that your next destination is a charger, etc. I know it's hypothetically possible, but didn't know if anybody has actually done it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Yeah, what I meant is if ABRP / your map software of choice can communicate with the car that your next destination is a charger, etc. I know it's hypothetically possible, but didn't know if anybody has actually done it.

Preconditioning is exclusive to the built in Nav in every car that has it, but there’s no reason it couldn’t be done other than manufacturers wanting to create their own walled gardens to extract subscription revenue.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. You have your car interface stuff and a button on the screen that launches carplay/AA. Bring up the electrics page, press the precondition button, return to AA for your music and navi.

Most EVs do this seamlessly via navigation. The car knows how far away to the station you are, the battery temperature, and what temperature it needs to get to. I'm sure I'll forget sometimes to condition the battery 20 min before charging. I'm certain this will take a while until Apple and Google get car makers to use their APIs in that way.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Preconditioning is exclusive to the built in Nav in every car that has it, but there’s no reason it couldn’t be done other than manufacturers wanting to create their own walled gardens to extract subscription revenue.

Some brands have a manual precondition button(the new nissan ariya has one that require digging thru the menus to enable). It's sorta rare.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Most EVs do this seamlessly via navigation. The car knows how far away to the station you are, the battery temperature, and what temperature it needs to get to. I'm sure I'll forget sometimes to condition the battery 20 min before charging. I'm certain this will take a while until Apple and Google get car makers to use their APIs in that way.

I would rather have waze and Spotify running and a manual preconditioning button that I might occasionally forget to use, than have to use a barebones proprietary navigation app. Hell even use the in built navi to pick your charger destination so the car starts precharging, then switch back to waze.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The OEM does not want to open up a bunch of the control modules of the vehicle to third party software, which I think is actually pretty reasonable in this case. A manual preconditioning button is a perfectly good compromise.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

They should at least give SoC (preferably kWh remaining) out in the APIs, and even that's pretty uncommon right now.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Got a pre-flogged and farted in Model Y from Hertz to hoon for a few days and it's definitely not as rattly as a Model 3 I drove a few years ago.

I do notice the hatch creaks a lot when opening/closing and the hinges for it seem really thin but the storage is sublime.

ex-Prius drivers should not be allowed to even drive the long range version in standard or sport modes.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm surprised Hertz doesn't lock down rental Tesla cars to chill mode.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The OEM does not want to open up a bunch of the control modules of the vehicle to third party software, which I think is actually pretty reasonable in this case. A manual preconditioning button is a perfectly good compromise.

I mean, they don’t have to open it up directly, they can provide an API to request it and do whatever validation they want. If you’re letting users press a button to do it whenever they want you’ve already opened the door to inappropriate use and surely have some mitigations built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm surprised Hertz doesn't lock down rental Tesla cars to chill mode.
My brother has a 5th gen Prius, my tesla 3P in chill mode is still significantly faster than it. (Probably why the 6th gen Prius now has an option for up to 198 HP.)