Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
a steering wheel that learns how to turn from you turning it and then replaces itself with a touchscreen that executes flawlessly learned turns with the press of a button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Y'all are just getting hung up on the idea of airbags. Here's what is innovative, just simply don't put in any airbags and focus on improving the AI so it will never crash in the first place.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The entire car should be one giant touchscreen

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

NeonPunk posted:

Y'all are just getting hung up on the idea of airbags. Here's what is innovative, just simply don't put in any airbags and focus on improving the AI so it will never crash in the first place.

the car will simply drive itself while you rest comfortably and safely in the pod full of ballistic gel located in the frunk

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

my self driving car is being navigated in real time by people solving captchas while trying to download cam bootlegs of Plane (2023), suddenly it accelerates and augers itself into the side of a peterbilt because some dipshit didnt click the traffic light picture in time; the airbag detonates and propels the central touchscreen through my skull and my whole poo poo looks like a timelapse of a jackolantern

luckily the gyro is able to detect this movement and rotate the controls on the screen to compensate

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

a steering wheel that learns how to turn from you turning it and then replaces itself with a touchscreen that executes flawlessly learned turns with the press of a button

ah, the custom-macro function, world of Warcraft players will soon be optimizing the type and number so as to achieve maximum DPS

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ERROR: Please tweet something nice about your favorite person named Elon Musk to continue driving.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Where is my HOTAS car?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Elon please see my revolutionary design for car control

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Red Baron posted:

This would be perfect for the cybertruck

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

the "make everything a touchscreen!" thing is another of those things that's already been tried and it's even been tried for steering and, naturally, it ended in tragedy (to be mildly fair that was boats not cars but still) but that's not the point because tech is an industry where nobody learns anything because the entire point is being a doofus screaming "disruption!" and if you mess up the vibes you get fired for being a negative nelly (i mean we're talking about an industry where all the big brain captain of industry john galt financial kings all used the same bank because it was the cool bank not the lame grandpa bank)

though on the other hand boats are much bigger and slower than cars so the potential for tragedy and violent collision is even more in cars

anyway disruption!!!!!

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Apr 12, 2023

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Red Baron posted:

What a stupid design. Did Nintendo think people have three hands?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I love when my car guesses

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Admiral Ray posted:

So I guess this is the new steering wheel they sell instead of the yoke. This thing looks cheap as poo poo.

Why the gently caress would you ever put the turn signals on the wheel itself?

lol, it's an off the shelf GM wheel

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Just a Moron posted:

What a stupid design. Did Nintendo think people have three hands?

The majority of N64 games don't ask you to use both the dpad and the stick/L and Z. It's more of a two-in-one style of controller than a cohesive whole.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Part of my job involves the design of the SCADA UI for industrial control systems. There's an art to laying out what needs to be on a touchscreen. One of the most crucial parts of the design process is getting the buy-in and feedback from the actual people who'll be operating the machinery. It sounds like this didn't happen.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1646115621032325122?t=yZyqxGOCMh79HXKq8b0B9g&s=19

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
does that mean elon was lying about the stack being crazy

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Musk has been owned by a scuba diver, a chess player and a trans woman. A journalist can't even do it lmao

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah you gotta have some example ready even if it gets dismissed

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
what you're supposed to do is bait him into saying hate speech has gone down and then be like 'what about this report that says it's gone up' this poo poo is so easy to not gently caress up

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Stephen King got him to talk down the price of Twitter Blue and I lol everytime I remember that.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

elon musk is smarter than most journalists

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the monkey will fry in the car

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

f stop fitzgerald is right. gotta give ol' musky credit, it is pretty funny that matt taibbi got bodied by a third string msnbc anchor and apparently ol' musky played him, bari weiss, and the other guy (and maybe the new Fang guy) in the whole twitter files thing like a fiddle in terms of getting them to do exactly what he wanted by hand-picking information to feed them, write exactly the story he wanted to fit his (mysterious, unknowable) political agenda (which is only about censorship and free speech and government interference obv), then he dropped them when he got bored with it or they made him look bad, started blocking links to their major source of income, and left them bewildered because they thought he was actually their friend

obviously if you spent months screaming it was the new watergate it's gotta sting but it is hilarious otherwise, outplayed by the boer

in the end...he actually did one funny thing

i am pro life and it brings me no joy to report this

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Apr 12, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

f stop Fitzgerald is right

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i think we can all agree that journos are bad

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

A Bakers Cousin posted:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Journalists still believe their reporting means something.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

f stop fitzgerald is right.

Been hearing this more and more lately

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Whats with the ouya tags

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Slotducks posted:

love to not be able to hit the horn because im driving with my leather driving gloves on and smash into an emu
cut the fingers off those gloves, you'll fit in better with the tesla owners community

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

What's ouya with you?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

brugroffil posted:

He's saying put a touchscreen in the steering wheel, not steer by touch. You already have tons of buttons on steering wheels.

Dumb idea, still

turning the steering wheel into a dreamcast controller, incredible ideas coming out of silicon valley these days

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

That's a really low bar.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Concerning

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

apatheticman posted:

Whats with the ouya tags

It had The Amazing Frog and that was worth the $99 console.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DesertIslandHermit posted:

It had The Amazing Frog and that was worth the $99 console.

Duck game was pretty good.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

apatheticman posted:

Whats with the ouya tags

musk tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

how could a professional journalist gently caress up this bad? :cripes: