Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
to tie recent thread topics together, per that article the outline of this speech (that she's giving to the loving heritage foundation) is:

- western institutions have been captured by an 'anti-growth' movement, which can be seen by evidence such as higher taxes, increased government spending, and *gestures vaguely* woke.
- this is terrible and if something isn't done we'll be locked into the same trajectory of countries like China, with their terrible, failed economic systems
- therefore we must return at once to Reagan/Thatcher economics to restore growth and prosperity
- it's especially imperative we do this due to the growing threat from China, which grows stronger and more economically prosperous each year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SpiritOfLenin posted:

that is some incredibly petty and nonsensical evil. like its pure evil, whoever did this gains literally nothing and the only people it hurts are the most vulnerable. its just hurting others for the sake of hurting others
Jeremy Corbyn wanting to feed children was the "nasty face of Labour" so this behaviour checks out

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Apraxin posted:

to tie recent thread topics together, per that article the outline of this speech (that she's giving to the loving heritage foundation) is:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/shinyandnew70/status/1646162656225644546?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

ScotLab don't look likely to escape the trap of being bargain-brand Scottish Tories (and therefore repulsive to all conceivable electoral demographics) any time soon. I think Humza winning was very important for holding together the SNP's governing coalition, both despite and because of the terfy screeching it provoked.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Literally this attitude. Awful hate filled fuckers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlzaBi_QxPw

Not only is that a great film, but the line at the end of that clip is so good. It really hits the nail on the head about how pointless racism is, even if you can distance the evil, hate filled sentiment from it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is there anything that can be done about salted land? Can it be chemically neutralised or the salt be dug away?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/shinyandnew70/status/1646162656225644546?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

ScotLab don't look likely to escape the trap of being bargain-brand Scottish Tories (and therefore repulsive to all conceivable electoral demographics) any time soon. I think Humza winning was very important for holding together the SNP's governing coalition, both despite and because of the terfy screeching it provoked.

what an utterly pathetic nothing statement

we think there should be some debate. people should work together and discuss it. there are people on both sides. people exist and legislation is made of words and people should talk and then we will say words also and then the right thing will be done when we do the thing that is the right thing to do when we do the thing so long as we debate properly and work together to have a thing to do when the right thing we do will done we do will done do will

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dabir posted:

Is there anything that can be done about salted land? Can it be chemically neutralised or the salt be dug away?

You just have to replace the topsoil

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

:stonk:

https://twitter.com/NationCymru/status/1646083643167612932

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

The video in question with a link to the gofundme https://twitter.com/OliDugmore/status/1646115837680537604

Once again my moral stance against the death penalty has found the weak link in the chain.

Although in this case the earth-salter does genuinely appear to have the intended effect of people dying of starvation, so a wannabe torturer/murderer.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Could just be some teenagers being buttholes, it's hard to say.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/HamzaMSyed/status/1646177045569843200

Absolutely incredible that this was the big story on the BBC's website this morning. This was something they wanted to boast about!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

You just have to replace the topsoil
You also have to remove whoever thinks it's acceptable to keep salting the earth, because otherwise they can keep wrecking it for less cost than it takes you to replace it.

Which is a loving depressing thing to have to countenance in 2023, but hey fascists running on their brokebrain version of the Roman model are back again so :marc:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Reminds me of that BBC I think comments section about Jamie Bulger's killers "should have hanged them there and then, what kind of monster could hurt a child" and no it wasn't ironic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Private Speech posted:

A teenager who knows enough about history and/or agriculture to know what salting the earth does? And just happens to target a woman using the land to feed poor people? No, I'd say it's more likely that the person responsible is 60 than 16.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

guillotine either way, imo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

A teenager who knows enough about history and/or agriculture to know what salting the earth does? And just happens to target a woman using the land to feed poor people? No, I'd say it's more likely that the person responsible is 60 than 16.

I seem to remember a lot of history lessons when I was about 13 on the topic of Jethro Tull (no, not the Ian Anderson one) & seed drills, crop rotation & other agricultural happenings of the early 18th century. I guess they don't teach that stuff anymore.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Once again my moral stance against the death penalty has found the weak link in the chain.

Although in this case the earth-salter does genuinely appear to have the intended effect of people dying of starvation, so a wannabe torturer/murderer.

No need for the death penalty when you everyone has 10 fingers.

One finger per offence. You can do it 4 times before it starts to become a problem :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I seem to remember a lot of history lessons when I was about 13 on the topic of Jethro Tull (no, not the Ian Anderson one) & seed drills, crop rotation & other agricultural happenings of the early 18th century. I guess they don't teach that stuff anymore.

I think I would also have known what salting the earth meant when I was 16 but that was probably from the punic wars.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
salting the earth doesn't actually do too much longterm unless kilos and kilos are used- otherwise a few solid rainfalls and it's gonna be rinsed out, the whole "salting of the earth" thing was more ritualistic in times of antiquity, especially with the cost of salt back then

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did wonder where exactly they got all the salt from.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Can you just use table salt or do you have to nick it out of one of those yellow gritter bins?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Can confirm I used salt to kill off weeds growing between my patio slabs and it took a fuckton of repeated applications

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Apraxin posted:

- western institutions have been captured by an 'anti-growth' movement, which can be seen by evidence such as higher taxes, increased government spending, and *gestures vaguely* woke.
- this is terrible and if something isn't done we'll be locked into the same trajectory of countries like China, with their terrible, failed economic systems
- therefore we must return at once to Reagan/Thatcher economics to restore growth and prosperity
- it's especially imperative we do this due to the growing threat from China, which grows stronger and more economically prosperous each year

It's fine, I've been reliably informed all Chinese growth is actually made up and we're doing great.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I just use boiling water for weeds, it works well enough that whatever I want to plant there an hour later can take over the spot.

Salting the earth is definitely a ritualistic fascist oval office idea, probably from mixing Roman imperialism and the early 20th century European cult of 'traditionalism' into some hateful ideal against growing food to feed the 'useless eaters' and 'invaders' and whatever other stupid nazi bullshit whoever did it had internalized.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

The sea is like right there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

The sea is like right there

Sure but like, salt was very useful and quite valuable in antiquity, so it seems like a very expensive way to try and destroy farmland when you could just, like, fill it full of rocks or something. Or break all their shadufs.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT5mqWKirhI

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Sure but like, salt was very useful and quite valuable in antiquity, so it seems like a very expensive way to try and destroy farmland when you could just, like, fill it full of rocks or something. Or break all their shadufs.

Much easier to destroy the farmers than the farmland tbh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Much easier to destroy the farmers

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

in fairness, he had earlier tried to destroy the farmland himself, but without success

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i think the romans flooded the agricultural plains of the catheginians with salty sea water, rather than make several return trips to tescos to get bags of table salt

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
British news being sad because Daddy Biden didn't want to hang around in the UK is pretty funny/pathetic. Looking forward to a couple of fantastic days of Paddywhackery over here

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Convex posted:

in fairness, he had earlier tried to destroy the farmland himself, but without success

ah yes, the maoukaze

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

British news being sad because Daddy Biden didn't want to hang around in the UK is pretty funny/pathetic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67lP1V5SItU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Salt Mines.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Salt Mines.

don't just link my post history like this

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SMurphyTV/status/1646234858187010048

Biden said Up The RA

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s very lol that joe is basically going to spend the rest of the week annoying the UK government and the DUP by having lots of craic in the republic

Meanwhile - the crowds look delighted to see Keith in east anglia

https://twitter.com/edp24/status/1646178249968619520?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol, Humza's being an evil little poo poo and it owns.

https://twitter.com/humzayousaf/status/1646221969497391113?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q