Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

GloomMouse posted:

Well Throne's ending sure uh happened

Yeah... uh so what the gently caress? That was really stupid.

Superboss spoilers ah gently caress, they want me to fight Galdera again. I hated it in the last game but at least theres some awareness of how bullshit the final boss was when it becomes the Superboss of the 2nd game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Cleric Hikari might be my favorite setup for him whenever I'm not dueling. He looks cool (important), the Paladin vibe works for him, and it gives him everything he wants from a secondary job (specifically, it lets him wield the Giant's Club). Could also go Scholar, which also makes him look cool, but Cleric lets him throw out a Revive or something in an emergency. My only complaint is that his learned skills have fairly generic animations and use generic weapon sprites, which is a shame, but he does more damage with things like Limb from Limb than he can even with Armsmaster skills so I'm rolling with it.

Currently passing Armsmaster around to whoever seems coolest right now, though I'm definitely a believer in Armsmaster Osvald. He can boost his elements quite a bit that way and save a lot of SP not having to use One True Magic as his most damaging spell.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 12, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hikari also has insane SP issues which Mystic Staff completely fixes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Merchant Hikari is also good because it looks cool (important), Rest also solves his SP issues, the class' relative lack of damaging skills isn't a big deal for him, and Sidestep and Rest both help to trivialize Challenges.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Merchant Hikari is my go-to for duels for exactly those reasons

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

MechaX posted:

Not going to lie, if I knew Castti would be this awesome, I probably would have started with her rather than Hikari

I blame the apothecary kid in OT1 for this

Meanwhile I mained Castti pretty much because I mained Alfyn and enjoyed his story, so figured I'd do Apoth again.

Castti owns and would probably be the clear best character if Partitio weren't such a solid contender.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I don't think I could pick a worst character in this game. It's hard enough picking my favorite.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I find Partitio and his story more annoying than anything. Everyone else is cool minus a specific final chapter the thief chapter 5 kind of jumping off a cliff.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In terms of ranking characters I'd probably go:

Character wise:
Partitio > Throne > Osvald > Castti > Temenos > Ochette > Agnea > Hikari

Story:
Partitio > Castti > Temenos > Osvald > Ochette > Throne > Hikari > Agnea

The rankings change frequently in my head, though, other than Partitio safely being on top. Like with story Osvald and Throne were really high for me after their second to last chapters but they failed to stick the landing in the end. Which is a shame because I feel like Osvald C4 and Throne Mother's Routes are probably some of the strongest standalone chapters, along with Partitio C1 and Castti C3.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FireWorksWell posted:

I don't think I could pick a worst character in this game. It's hard enough picking my favorite.

Don't get me wrong, I love the entire cast and think overall it's a much stronger cast than OT1's, and that's with me loving OT1's cast as well. I don't really have anything bad to say about any playable character from either game (even if some of the actual stories are a bit iffy at times, looking at you Primrose).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mega64 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love the entire cast and think overall it's a much stronger cast than OT1's, and that's with me loving OT1's cast as well. I don't really have anything bad to say about any playable character from either game (even if some of the actual stories are a bit iffy at times, looking at you Primrose).

I could probably nitpick most characters across both games, but I generally like both casts. If I had to dunk on any it would be Therion, because Throne did his exact story but better and she doesn't have a bad person as a VA. H'aanit's not my cup of tea but I'm sure she has her fans.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that chapter is uh...

Claude even handwaves his own longevity. "Yes, yes I've done this weird breeding program for a long long time. None of that poo poo's important, anyways lets fight"

Harrow posted:

Castti's story is fantastic, maybe the best one in the game.

I ended up liking Hikari's a lot more than I was expecting. I picked him because he looked cool and seemed like a good "lead" but I figured he'd have one of the more boring stories. But by his chapter 4 I was pretty invested.

I cannot believe how invested I got with Castti. She was the 2nd to last story I started and I was like "woo saving people big whoop" and then the whole story just got really really interesting with each chapter.

Honestly the only character I wasn't like, super excited to continue was Agnea. Her story wasn't bad, but it sort of lacked the drama of the rest of the cast.

Also, are Partitio and Agnea's story intertwined with the greater Shadow/Void arc in anyway? Like everyone deals with the Shadow in some form except these two I think?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Revitalized posted:

Also, are Partitio and Agnea's story intertwined with the greater Shadow/Void arc in anyway? Like everyone deals with the Shadow in some form except these two I think?

They aren't directly related, but NPCs from their story are important for the final arc.

Castti's story reminds me of Ophilia's from OT1 where it starts off seemingly generic and then really ramps up in C3.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

At chapter 2 I didn't like Agnea, but by the end leaning into the lower stakes made me enjoy it. The final chapter just having the Dance Battle between her and the superstar being represented by a normal(really fun) battle was smarter than shoehorning in an actual violent confrontation. And I enjoyed them teasing one before the flashback with the aggressive puppies.

I don't know how this all connects at the end. Right now I've beaten everyone's main story and I'm puttering around with side quests and optional bosses before I move on to the final story

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Throne is really the only story that I think fundamentally doesn’t work. Osvald I quite liked. Partitio loving rules. Hikari was exactly as you’d expect but capably executed so who cares, it’s fun.

It’s never really made clear what exactly these collars stop you from doing if you can just knife your employer at any time.

Claude is out of complete loving nowhere. It’s just all very strange in a way that isn’t satisfying or coherent.

Osvald meanwhile I feel is fine. Harvey is not a complicated villain but he doesn’t need to be. He fulfills his role and Osvald gets a satisfying character resolution. He is now Wizard Batman.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I did Agnea's ending last and am glad I did. It's perfect as a gleeful victory lap after the other character stories before plunging into the endgame.

I feel like if I did that and then did any of the other more serious final chapters (Partitio's might have been fine) afterward it would have curdled.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 12, 2023

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Frankly Cassti's story hooked from her prologue with her first glitch in the animus. I'm not even that far into it yet and it's probably just a weird way of presenting memories getting triggered but I'm in for it for now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've noticed I've started to get some three-character travel banters when I wander into a tavern sometimes. Are these tied to specific locations, or just having the right combination of characters in your group to trigger them?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

I've noticed I've started to get some three-character travel banters when I wander into a tavern sometimes. Are these tied to specific locations, or just having the right combination of characters in your group to trigger them?

Right combination of characters. You get them after a certain number of unique screens traveled since the last banter.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Right combination of characters. You get them after a certain number of unique screens traveled since the last banter.

Nice, thanks! Now I get to look forward to more travel banters just randomly happening as I do some endgame exploring, so that's pretty cool.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They start up as soon as you finish one character's final chapter. There's twenty in total and even some four-person tavern banters.

I think you can access ones already viewed from the All Side Stories part of the Journal.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think the 3-4 person tavern banters aren't included in the journal.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ace Transmuter posted:

Frankly Cassti's story hooked from her prologue with her first glitch in the animus. I'm not even that far into it yet and it's probably just a weird way of presenting memories getting triggered but I'm in for it for now.

That was such a cool effect. After having the CSI Temenos story segments I was like "yo this game is more creative than I thought!"

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

Nice, thanks! Now I get to look forward to more travel banters just randomly happening as I do some endgame exploring, so that's pretty cool.

It's great. This game is so good.

Just finished Hikari's story, probably gonna do Throne's next to see what everyone's talking about

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Revitalized posted:

I think the 3-4 person tavern banters aren't included in the journal.

They are, you can find them under Side Stories in the "All" category. You have to have seen them already though, unlike the 2-person banters where you just have to finish the relevant chapter.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Y'all're tripping if you're at all puzzled by (Throné chapter 4) a guy who lives in a gothic castle, in a creepy Carpathian village, turning out to be some sort of immortal night creature, that is not a detail which warrants any follow-up.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Y'all're tripping if you're at all puzzled by (Throné chapter 4) a guy who lives in a gothic castle in a haunted Carpathian village being an immortal night creature, that is not a detail which warrants any follow-up.

Not checkin the spoiler!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It is not a spoiler you should click until you've played the chapter; that is why I tagged it as such!

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I'm not confused I just think it's stupid

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It is not a spoiler you should click until you've played the chapter; that is why I tagged it as such!

I had to :justpost:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Y'all're tripping if you're at all puzzled by (Throné chapter 4) a guy who lives in a gothic castle, in a creepy Carpathian village, turning out to be some sort of immortal night creature, that is not a detail which warrants any follow-up.

Plus it does get followed up on to a point, though of course it's up to the player as to whether it's a satisfying explanation.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah I didn't think this came out of the blue at all. The implication is he also did the typical vampire hypnosis thing too. It's all pretty hosed up! But also well done.

I was one of the few who actually really enjoyed OT1 and 100%'d it, but OT2 is such a sheer delight. Each of the stories individually doesn't have the substance that a regular rpg can offer, but it reminds me of my group's custom d&d campaign combined with a really tactical and snappy jrpg combat system. Definitely deserving of a GotY nod. Hopefully they can keep iterating on this template.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah but none of them are legendary merchants voiced by Richard Epcar, so he’s better.

Absolutely fair and I upgraded as soon as I completed the quest. I got some rando early on and kept that discount rolling the entire game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I'm not confused I just think it's stupid

That, however, is perfectly fair.

Though I opine that it is the good kind of stupid, as opposed to the bad kind of stupid, such as Primrose's final chapter

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

FireWorksWell posted:

Plus it does get followed up on to a point, though of course it's up to the player as to whether it's a satisfying explanation.

Re: the final chapter up till the final boss All the Moonshade order stuff felt kind of half-assed. Oboro acts like he needs the Darkblood blade to do the sacrifices but everyone else does just fine without it. Claude was just kind of hanging out sucking and loving for a few centuries, the cult made Trousseau evil because ???, Perrichor appears exactly once in a flashback after they're already dead, and Arcanette...is a twist, I guess?

It wouldn't surprise me if the joint chapters/final chapter were originally going to be way more involved and got trimmed down substantially

At least the main 8 stories and final boss/ending are perfection!

Edit: while I'm complaining (endgame spoilers):
Oboro's plan is:
1. Get Mugen to kill his father and acquire the Darkblood blade, which I need to revive my evil god of darkness
2. Have Hikari kill Mugen and get the Darkblood blade from him. This will work because Hikari is the last descendent of the light tribe, dedicated to fighting my dark God.
3. Get the sword and leave Hikari alone, it's probably fine

At least have Oboro try to kill Hikari or have him assassinated or something, otherwise this is a terrible plan!

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 13, 2023

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I will say Throne's chapter 3 Father route was pretty good. That whole revelation he gives about being your father but also not.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Re: the final chapter up till the final boss All the Moonshade order stuff felt kind of half-assed. Oboro acts like he needs the Darkblood blade to do the sacrifices but everyone else does just fine without it. Claude was just kind of hanging out sucking and loving for a few centuries, the cult made Trousseau evil because ???, Perrichor appears exactly once in a flashback after they're already dead, and Arcanette...is a twist, I guess?

It wouldn't surprise me if the joint chapters/final chapter were originally going to be way more involved and got trimmed down substantially

yeah I kinda agree with this. For example, I thought there was gonna be this setup where Ochette goes toe to toe with Perrichor but that never really happens.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Revitalized posted:

I will say Throne's chapter 3 Father route was pretty good. That whole revelation he gives about being your father but also not.

Yeah this was absolutely the highlight of Throné's story for me. I'm also really glad I did the Father route second. I had a feeling it'd be more dramatic and climactic than the Mother chapter 3 and that turned out to be very true.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Throné's Father route was very good but Mother route was also very chilling. Mira wailing that her abusive mother was still the only mother she'd ever known is uncomfortably close to what happens in real life at times.

Throné really deserved better than whatever Chapter 4 was.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Throné's Father route was very good but Mother route was also very chilling. Mira wailing that her abusive mother was still the only mother she'd ever known is uncomfortably close to what happens in real life at times.

Throné really deserved better than whatever Chapter 4 was.

Yeah definitely. I mostly am glad I did Father's route second because it was more personal, but yeah the Mother chapter was really good, too. I also found it slightly amusing when Throné did the Kill Bill "come find me if you want revenge when you're older" thing, though not in a bad way, it was fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also, and I cannot stress this enough, (still Throné) make sure you find and complete Mira's Next Chapter, it's where all the good resolution comes out.