Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
the bog mummies curse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

brakeless posted:

if warming is going to supercharge bog farts beyond expectations, BOE is going to turn things super spicy what with all the arctic wetlands

Don't forget El Niño, which is coming this year. Appropriately named after the Christ child

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Big Orc Energy

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Harold Fjord posted:

Does anyone else remember the 6 months or so when it was considered really neat to try to eek out every last mpg? You know right before prices crashed and the economy died forever

Not specifically, but then again I've been an irritating hyper-miling prick since time immemorial. I'm sure that if I drove much in the U.S. I would have been shot a long time ago.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Stevie Lee posted:

oh no, new jersey is burning
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1646126949100662791?s=20
50% contained as of this morning

I'm a Fire half contained kinda guy

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

quote:

Most plastic eaten by city vultures comes straight from food outlets

Since the 1950s, humanity has produced an estimated 8.3 billion tons of plastic, adding a further 380 million tons to this amount each year. Only 9% of this gets recycled. The inevitable result is that plastic is everywhere, from the depths of the oceans to the summit of Everest—and notoriously, inside the tissues of humans and other organisms.

The long-term effects of ingested plastic on people aren't yet known. But in rodents, ingested microplastics can impair the function of the liver, intestines, and exocrine and reproductive organs.

Especially at risk of ingesting plastic are scavenging birds. For example, New World vultures regularly forage at landfills, and have been observed to leisurely pick at synthetic materials such as boat seats, rubber seals, and roofs.

Now, researchers from the U.S. have shown that the amount of plastic ingested by black and turkey vultures (Coragyps atratus and Cathartes aura) can be predicted from their location on suburban and exurban maps. This isn't just a distinction between country versus city birds; the amount ingested depends on the local density of human commerce within urbanized landscapes. These findings are published in Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution.

"Here we show that black vultures and turkey vultures in areas with more urban development and a greater density of commercial food providers ingest more plastic," said Hannah Partridge, a doctoral student at the Department of Geography and Earth Sciences of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and the study's first author.

"It's possible that they eat some of this plastic on purpose rather than exclusively by accident, as is typically believed."
Who among us

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

see???? they LIKE it!

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1644837830781292544

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/NOAASatellites/status/1646162890343292929?s=20

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

ah yes they tried and true method for controlling population growth: just don’t build stuff

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

TehSaurus posted:

ah yes they tried and true method for controlling population growth: just don’t build stuff

*Voices whisper from the parched, dying cornfield* If you don't build it, they won't come

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

85 Fahrenheit in Delaware on April 12th, and it may reach 90 by the end of the week.

Seems good. Seems fine. :tif:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nichael posted:

85 Fahrenheit in Delaware on April 12th, and it may reach 90 by the end of the week.

groundhog couldn't get out of his hole because it was too hot

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
el nino year gunna be a wild (fire) rear end summer

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Xaris posted:

el nino year gunna be a wild (fire) rear end summer

lol all the west coast rain is gonna make this fire season loving LIT when it just hard stops for 2 months as per normal

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Can you define this?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

starkebn posted:

Can you define this?

Summers are always pretty dry. but the heat and length of the dry season have been getting loving wild.

historically fires are normal but just not this big or violent.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1112839109

https://www.coastal.ca.gov/fire/ucsbfire.html

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mr. Sharps posted:

weve got lots of plants here

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

starkebn posted:

Can you define this?

Hard to define "normal" these days. Whatever it is it just keeps getting worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV7Gwo26UE

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nichael posted:

88 right now in minneapolis lol

we had the first 50, 60, 70 and 80 of the year all within a week

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im half way through coating my next garden box with tung oil. these low humidity days are perfect. not too psyched about it being 85 in april but hey thats life on this bitch of an earth baby, at least i can garden more of the year mebbe.

psyched to get up to 24 cubic feet of soil to plant in

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

4d3d3d posted:

*Voices whisper from the parched, dying cornfield* If you don't build it, they won't come

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

if that BoM prediction comes true holy poo poo

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

biosphere: hello, from the gates of hell

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mola Yam posted:

lmfao i guess i'm going to be spending my entire summer at a beach just living in the pacific ocean to stay cool becoming a pickled prune in the process

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Which side of the gates? :thunk:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

4d3d3d posted:

Don't forget El Niño, which is coming this year. Appropriately named after the Christ child
meteorologists are predicting a jesus christ superstar event later this year

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Nichael posted:

Yeah, touching on mid-80s here in CT. Cool, good, and normal. I'm glad we had no cold weather at all this year and I was able to grow greens all winter long, because they're about to all get fried.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Summers are always pretty dry. but the heat and length of the dry season have been getting loving wild.

historically fires are normal but just not this big or violent.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1112839109

https://www.coastal.ca.gov/fire/ucsbfire.html

It's funny reading reading old soil inventories from Vancouver Island - the summer drought from mid-July through early September has been a thing for a very long time, at least in colonial terms. The annual drought can be a little tricky to farm through when your soil lies on top of a thick layer of glacial deposited gravel but with planning and preparation it's doable. (Note: Proper planning = kicking the locals out of their village site at the mouth of the river and taking it over for farmland. They'll be fine out on that exposed gravel spit, I'm sure there's water there somewhere if they look hard enough.) When the summer drought starts running from early May to late October things get interesting, especially with heat domes baking fields and forest fires reducing available sunlight. And last year we went from a frigid rainy June that would have made a Scotsman suicidal to a heat dome that lasered all the struggling seedlings in a little over a week.

Sure am glad we don't depend on local food production and can import our food from the San Joaquin valley.

Mola Yam posted:

I am not liking this one little bit.

a strange fowl posted:

biosphere: hello, from the gates of hell

At least with the low housing density out here when we incinerate ourselves later this summer it will be mostly good clean woodsmoke. House fires are really ugly now with all the plastics used in construction. In fact, they look a lot like a plastics recycling plant when they burn.

A couple of summers ago I was looking at buying some professional firefighting foam, thinking of putting a layer down on the house before running like hell evacuating. Turns out it's probably full of PFAS. gently caress it, let it burn.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
CanSIPS, ECMWF, JMA, METEO, NOAA, UKMO:

BoM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHNNRaGQRJg

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i think the best edit of that underwater fire was when someone put some major boss fight sound from FF7 over it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

so hot i could go for some cokeCanSIPS if you know what im' saying!!!!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Global Methane swamp world

Only the gross will survive

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Gigantic El Niño gonna create millions of jobs but y’all ain’t ready for that conversation

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Egg Moron posted:

Global Methane swamp world

Only the gross will survive

i think i read something during covid that people who don't ever shower eventually build up a slightly acidic coating on their skin from all of the bacteria and slime

so you'll get gangrene from a simple cut but you'll be impervious to microbes

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i think the best edit of that underwater fire was when someone put some major boss fight sound from FF7 over it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMJ55t7UW38

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
some real good content lately, thanks everyone for your contributions to the biosphere collapse!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

OIL PANIC posted:

some real good content lately, thanks everyone for your contributions to the biosphere collapse!

today i drove my comically-oversized SUV to costco to pickup a 4-pack of USDA Choice New York Steaks to grill tonight. i'm doing my part :patriot:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my dad once told me that a single email generates as much co2 as a million cars and i said that there was no way that pro-car propaganda was true and he shrugged and was like yeah i guess we will never know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

OIL PANIC posted:

needs more animals