Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well I just went and impulse bought an RG353P, been wanting something as an in between of my Miyoo Mini(super portable but a little awkward in actual use because of how tiny it is, plus capped at PS1) and my Steam Deck(powerful enough for almost anything in terms of emulation but also gigantic for a handheld which combined with its comparatively weak battery means it isn't actually all that portable for a handheld system), was originally thinking about either the Retroid Pocket 3+ or the RG405M but the former isn't available on Amazon* at all, and the latter is being marked up too high on there(like 212 bucks or more) when even the price Anbernic is offering on their site is a bit rich for what you're getting(though I imagine we'll probably see a P or V version at a cheaper price soon enough), so did a little watching of some of the videos of other recent mid range handhelds Russ has done in the last year or so and decided that the RG353P hits close enough regarding what I'm looking for at a reasonably friendly price, particularly as I got lucky and found a listing for one on Amazon of the transparent black version at the original launch price of $130 with Prime shipping which I'd say is a steal considering most of the other Amazon listings are at $150

Also watching these videos is there a reason that Linux is unable to make use of the touch screen on these devices, seems a bit odd considering the Steam Deck also uses Linux but can use its touch screen no problem

*I just don't have the patience to deal with something being shipped all the way from China, so I'm willing to eat the 10 to 20 extra dollars an Amazon listing will often add in exchange for being able to only have to wait two or so days(maybe a week tops) for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I assume it's because they're using a digitizer that has an available driver in the Android kernel but not the Linux kernel.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

More 280v discoveries:

- A newer FFPlay (video player) release that works on CFW
- NBlood! :getin:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone have a Miyoo Mini Plus in black at not scalper prices?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Djarum posted:

Anyone have a Miyoo Mini Plus

No, they've only done one drop of them so far that I've seen. I think people who bought them through resellers like KeepRetro are still waiting on preorders.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can buy a 35xx from aliexpress for $57 ish. I just got the 405m from anbernic ali official store. 7 days delivery. Didn't expect it could play any ps2 game but played 2 stages of katamary and worked just fine.

I really like the 6:4 screen for retro console. In 1-2 years anbernic can put a 3x faster chip in a sub $200 metal console and it will be perfect.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My nephew has become absolutely obsessed with Pokemon, despite never having played any of the games. He has a few Pokemon books he's read several times over and even created an Onix vs. Pikachu diorama to give to us when we saw him last week.* He has been driving his parents insane leaving Charmander vs. Pikachu battle posters all over their house and forcing them to watch him smash dinosaur figures together at very specific times of the week. We considered giving them our Switch and some games, since we don't play it very often, but he has 4 younger siblings that will probably destroy it and it would cost a fortune in controllers alone. Without getting too personal, one member of the family is a dissenting member of a super religious family that thinks technology is an affront to God, so they regularly have to hide away their single 13-year-old 32" LCD TV whenever family visits. A Switch, dock, controllers, etc. are all too much for them to move on short notice.

Is the RG35XX probably the best option at this point in time? The stock OS and Garlic both have RTC support for Pokemon G/S and later. It's going to be used for one Pokemon game and maybe a few edutainment games (probably along the lines of Mickey's Ultimate Challenge), not filled with huge ROM collections spanning several systems. Is there any way to lock down any of these OS so that he doesn't inadvertantly break things? Ideally, I would like to use Garlic's underclock feature to try and increase the battery life, but if there's no way to keep advanced options locked off after doing so, I might need to look into MinUI's guest mode.

Speaking of guest mode, that leads to other issues like not being able to save properly. I read a comment earlier about how Pokemon R/B/Y can't be completed on this unit due to the forced save during the Elite Four/Victory Road stuff. Am I misunderstanding the issue or can in-game saves really not be used?

In terms of forward thinking, I have been considering how to make this slightly more kidproof. I've already decided that, since I have to buy better MicroSD cards anyway, I'll pick up two 16-32GB cards, set the device up for single card usage, and once it's all good to go, clone the MicroSD so the parents have a backup when one of the toddlers inevitably ejects and loses the MicroSD card. He'll lose his saves, but at least the device won't be totally dead. Also considering trying to put a small piece of plastic underneath a piece of tape and sticking it over the slot. If I use just a piece of tape, I think it'll still get ejected. Going to open it up and place some small strips of electrical tape across the d-pad contacts so the accidental diagonals are, hopefully, not as big of an issue.

The Miyoo Mini looked perfect for him in regards to size, but that ship has sailed. It also has pretty janky RTC support, so it probably wasn't the best option in this particular instance. I've also considered grabbing a 280V. It's slightly more expensive and I'm not sure it'd be as comfortable for him to hold. I'm not confident the Powkiddy V90's hinge would hold up to temporarily raging siblings, either. It absolutely doesn't need to play PSX games at 60 FPS or whatever, so if there's an older model I'm overlooking that sounds like a better fit, I would greatly appreciate any info. I think GBA is probably the most recent system it needs to be able to emulate and, by the time he grows out of this unit, it will probably be time for a family console.

*Onix won, not because it is a ground type, but because it is heavy and smashed Pikachu with its rocks. Pikachu has a message taped above his head that says "Pikachu is unable to battle."

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

stephenthinkpad posted:

You can buy a 35xx from aliexpress for $57 ish. I just got the 405m from anbernic ali official store. 7 days delivery. Didn't expect it could play any ps2 game but played 2 stages of katamary and worked just fine.

I really like the 6:4 screen for retro console. In 1-2 years anbernic can put a 3x faster chip in a sub $200 metal console and it will be perfect.

The only real difference between the 35xx and the Mini Plus is the 35xx has video out and the Mini Plus has wifi. I am never going to hook the thing up to a TV but I will use wifi which is why I am wanting the Mini. I can't argue the price on the 35xx is a great value if you are just looking to play games though.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

In terms of form factor, is modding a switch one of the better ~7 inch emulator handhelds or should I look towards the Logitech G Cloud or that ~250$ android Aya handheld? I think I want something a little bigger than the retroid pocket 3 :thunk:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

My nephew has become absolutely obsessed with Pokemon, despite never having played any of the games. He has a few Pokemon books he's read several times over and even created an Onix vs. Pikachu diorama to give to us when we saw him last week.* He has been driving his parents insane leaving Charmander vs. Pikachu battle posters all over their house and forcing them to watch him smash dinosaur figures together at very specific times of the week. We considered giving them our Switch and some games, since we don't play it very often, but he has 4 younger siblings that will probably destroy it and it would cost a fortune in controllers alone. Without getting too personal, one member of the family is a dissenting member of a super religious family that thinks technology is an affront to God, so they regularly have to hide away their single 13-year-old 32" LCD TV whenever family visits. A Switch, dock, controllers, etc. are all too much for them to move on short notice.

Is the RG35XX probably the best option at this point in time? The stock OS and Garlic both have RTC support for Pokemon G/S and later. It's going to be used for one Pokemon game and maybe a few edutainment games (probably along the lines of Mickey's Ultimate Challenge), not filled with huge ROM collections spanning several systems. Is there any way to lock down any of these OS so that he doesn't inadvertantly break things? Ideally, I would like to use Garlic's underclock feature to try and increase the battery life, but if there's no way to keep advanced options locked off after doing so, I might need to look into MinUI's guest mode.

Speaking of guest mode, that leads to other issues like not being able to save properly. I read a comment earlier about how Pokemon R/B/Y can't be completed on this unit due to the forced save during the Elite Four/Victory Road stuff. Am I misunderstanding the issue or can in-game saves really not be used?

In terms of forward thinking, I have been considering how to make this slightly more kidproof. I've already decided that, since I have to buy better MicroSD cards anyway, I'll pick up two 16-32GB cards, set the device up for single card usage, and once it's all good to go, clone the MicroSD so the parents have a backup when one of the toddlers inevitably ejects and loses the MicroSD card. He'll lose his saves, but at least the device won't be totally dead. Also considering trying to put a small piece of plastic underneath a piece of tape and sticking it over the slot. If I use just a piece of tape, I think it'll still get ejected. Going to open it up and place some small strips of electrical tape across the d-pad contacts so the accidental diagonals are, hopefully, not as big of an issue.

The Miyoo Mini looked perfect for him in regards to size, but that ship has sailed. It also has pretty janky RTC support, so it probably wasn't the best option in this particular instance. I've also considered grabbing a 280V. It's slightly more expensive and I'm not sure it'd be as comfortable for him to hold. I'm not confident the Powkiddy V90's hinge would hold up to temporarily raging siblings, either. It absolutely doesn't need to play PSX games at 60 FPS or whatever, so if there's an older model I'm overlooking that sounds like a better fit, I would greatly appreciate any info. I think GBA is probably the most recent system it needs to be able to emulate and, by the time he grows out of this unit, it will probably be time for a family console.

*Onix won, not because it is a ground type, but because it is heavy and smashed Pikachu with its rocks. Pikachu has a message taped above his head that says "Pikachu is unable to battle."

1) Your nephew seems cool as hell.
2) The 35XX is probably the one yeah, I wouldn't go after a 280V or a V90 these days. I don't know if Garlic has any kind of parental control but I've seen some emulation OSes have "demo modes" which are designed for when you want to just give your thing to someone to check out without risk of them loving up your settings so might be worth looking for that in the features list. 32gb I think is the minimum microSD worth getting these days, there's just no difference between them and 16gb price wise and barely anything between 32 and 64 most of the time either. 32 will also easily hold every Pokemon game through the GBA era so they'll have Fire Red/Leaf Green, Gold/Silver, Diamond/Pearl and Sapphire/Ruby to play with probably a full 28gb left after formatting.

forest spirit posted:

In terms of form factor, is modding a switch one of the better ~7 inch emulator handhelds or should I look towards the Logitech G Cloud or that ~250$ android Aya handheld? I think I want something a little bigger than the retroid pocket 3 :thunk:

Get an Odin or Odin Lite yeah, the G Cloud is lacking power for emulation for its price and the Odin Lite at $200 is extremely good for its price. Modding a Switch isn't worth buying a Switch for imo, I did it to mine just because I had a compatible model and wanted to dump some games but don't buy a Switch to use as an emulator machine.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 11, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The 35XX will basically be perfect for your nephew. I’ve seen a bunch of reviews comparing it and the Motion Mini Plus and the reviewers tend to prefer the Miyoo, but just barely, with no decisive reason. The 35XX is :10bux: cheaper and actually available. GarlicOS seems to be in a more mature state than OnionOS from what I gather too.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

stephenthinkpad posted:

Play the psp katamari instead. Runs better, doesn't expect analog sticks, half the filesize and it's a better game in general

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

Play the psp katamari instead. Runs better, doesn't expect analog sticks, half the filesize and it's a better game in general

God I remember that game absolutely demolished my hands after just a minute or two of play, and this is coming from someone who adapted to the Monster Hunter Claw Grip without much difficulty. Wonder if it's a less horrid experience on softer face buttons.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Miyoo Mini Plus and the RG35XX both seem to have one huge flaw each. The MM+ has screens detaching thanks to bad adhesive and the RG35XX has dogshit battery life.

It's a shame because they're both so close to being great.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

sethsez posted:

The Miyoo Mini Plus and the RG35XX both seem to have one huge flaw each. The MM+ has screens detaching thanks to bad adhesive and the RG35XX has dogshit battery life.

It's a shame because they're both so close to being great.

They’ve supposedly fixed the screen issue in the more recent production runs, at least.

I’ve been fighting the brain worms that want me to get a mini+ since I’ve already got a perfectly good mini that I actually use from time to time. Slightly bigger and WiFi to enable something resembling RTC are both just appealing enough that I keep having to stop myself from ordering one.

There’s a couple sellers on Amazon that have reliably had stock available with a week or so lead time for under 90 bucks or occasionally even prime delivery. I think ampown is the big one that’s been solid.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bloodplay it again posted:

This is a thing of beauty.

To add to your questions, go with Pokemon Crystal patched with the Polished Crystal mod (improves the experience a lot) and plain Emerald. Those two will have the best selection of mons + stories that can run on cheap emulation devices.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Vegastar posted:

They’ve supposedly fixed the screen issue in the more recent production runs, at least.

I’ve been fighting the brain worms that want me to get a mini+ since I’ve already got a perfectly good mini that I actually use from time to time. Slightly bigger and WiFi to enable something resembling RTC are both just appealing enough that I keep having to stop myself from ordering one.

There’s a couple sellers on Amazon that have reliably had stock available with a week or so lead time for under 90 bucks or occasionally even prime delivery. I think ampown is the big one that’s been solid.

I bought the white Miyoo from ampown and it arrived in two days. No problems to report.

Onion 4.2 beta runs like a champ and GBA games own hella hard in this device.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Green Gloves posted:

I bought the white Miyoo from ampown and it arrived in two days. No problems to report.

Onion 4.2 beta runs like a champ and GBA games own hella hard in this device.

I cracked shortly after making that post when I saw tax returns coming in tomorrow and ordered a white one as well. Should be here Thursday, when I’ll pretend like I’m going to decide which one I like better between the mini and mini+ and sell the other, but will realistically keep both for incredibly niche hypothetical situations I’ll never actually encounter.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

To add to your questions, go with Pokemon Crystal patched with the Polished Crystal mod (improves the experience a lot) and plain Emerald. Those two will have the best selection of mons + stories that can run on cheap emulation devices.

I'll go one further and suggest Crystal Clear. Polished Crystal does look neat though. I remember Emu Edition being the gold standard "vanilla+" hack a while back, and it's kind of wild what's been made since then.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I ordered an RG35XX and a MicroSD card today. I'm excited to set everything up. If it works well, I might consider offloading my imported Ice Silver OLED Vita to help pay for a couple more units--one for his dad and one for me. :)

Saoshyant posted:

This is a thing of beauty.

True Pokemon masters must suffer through R/B/Y first.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'll go one further and suggest Crystal Clear.

This rules really hard, thanks. I'm amazed stuff like this is even possible. Had to hex edit the ROM to get it to work on my Everdrive cart though :knope:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

how long does it take a retroid pocket 3+ to arrive at a location in the US? I shipped via 4PX if that makes any difference.

e: poo poo, nevermind, I just googled it. Takes about 2 weeks.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 12, 2023

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

how long does it take a retroid pocket 3+ to arrive at a location in the US? I shipped via 4PX if that makes any difference.

e: poo poo, nevermind, I just googled it. Takes about 2 weeks.

For what it's worth, I'm in Seattle and I ordered the grip and case afterward (got the 3+ earlier via DHL since it was already delayed a month shipping out) and the 4PX took 7 days. The original DHL shipment took 5 days.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

The 35XX will basically be perfect for your nephew. I’ve seen a bunch of reviews comparing it and the Motion Mini Plus and the reviewers tend to prefer the Miyoo, but just barely, with no decisive reason. The 35XX is :10bux: cheaper and actually available. GarlicOS seems to be in a more mature state than OnionOS from what I gather too.

I own a Miyoo Mini and an RG35XX with OnionOS and GarlicOS respectively.

Don’t go through the hassle for the Miyoo. It’s fine, so is the RG35XX.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Out of curiosity, since the Miyoo Mini+ has wifi, can OnionOS update itself?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

According to Russ, yes

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SwissArmyDruid posted:

There was a whole video about it all a couple days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQQi8A6M_zw

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I hope someday my miyoo mini+ arrives. I don’t think I will order from keepretro again. It’s fine that it’s taking a while, but an update (or any kind of communication from them) would be nice.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
drat thats sad. I canceled my order with KeepRetro. Ordered one on Amazon instead (currently using) and ordered another as a gift from AliExpress. The one from AliExpress is arriving even faster than people ordering from KeepRetro. And the AliExpress order was just last week. 😂

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I gambled on one of those new Amazon seller accts (specifically the one with a 16% off coupon) and, sure enough, a gray RG35XX showed up today. Thought I was gonna get a packet of mystery seeds or something.

The sticker on the back says it has a 2600mAh battery, too. Gonna set up Garlic OS on a new card and check it out.

I expected the screen to look a lot worse than it does. There's virtually no backlight bleeding in dark scenes, even with the brightness cranked. Cannot believe how good this kid is gonna have it. I would have flipped my poo poo for something like this. Probably gonna buy one for myself. Thanks again for the advice, everyone. Maybe I will have mercy on him and load up the romhack instead of making him suffer through first gen.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

My Amazon white Miyoo+ showed up today as well. No quality issues, got Onion 4.2 beta installed. Once they get the WiFi time sync I think this things gonna be my daily time killer.

It’s surprising how much bigger it feels compared to the regular mini considering it seems pretty minor on paper, but it is way cozier for my gorilla mitts.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Fors Yard posted:

For what it's worth, I'm in Seattle and I ordered the grip and case afterward (got the 3+ earlier via DHL since it was already delayed a month shipping out) and the 4PX took 7 days. The original DHL shipment took 5 days.

So my RP3+ came in today, but whenever I try to launch a game through retroarch, it just goes to a black screen.

Ahhh, I figured it out. I had Retroarch64, Retroarch32 and Retroarch (downloaded directly from their site) all running at the same time, and they don't like that very much. I have to be sure to close each instance of retroarch before trying to play something in Daijisho. Also I needed to make sure i had Daijisho pulling the correct cores from the correct version of RA.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 14, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

So my RP3+ came in today, but whenever I try to launch a game through retroarch, it just goes to a black screen.

If you're doing it through daijisho then make sure daijisho is picking the right core, or that you have cores installed at all

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've got an old ps vita kicking about. Is that a good option for hacking for portable emulation? Are any guides I google likely to be up to date and safe ?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ben Soosneb posted:

I've got an old ps vita kicking about. Is that a good option for hacking for portable emulation? Are any guides I google likely to be up to date and safe ?

This is the guide you need.

https://vita.hacks.guide

It’s ok for emulation and since you already have it definitely give it a shot.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, the Vita isn't an emulation powerhouse but it's great for PSX and will do okay with anything less demanding.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Vita is probs the best way anywhere to play PSX/PSP/Vita. It's especially clutch for PSP bc you can remap controls and turn stuff like Me & My Katamari and the Armored Cores into glorious dual stick. The dev community is pretty active and releases Android game ports regularly. But I can't recommend it for stuff beyond that.

The PSX/PSP/Vita library is huge, excellent, and the Vita is braindead simple to hack though so I do recommend it if you're interested in any of those and you like the form factor (which to me is divine).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You can also get a Vita to SD adapter that goes in the game card slot so you don't even have to mess with Vita memory cards unless you get the OLED 1000 model.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Ben Soosneb posted:

I pretty much haven't touched anything else since hacking my Vita a couple weeks ago (using vita.hacks.guide, natch). I haven't actually tried doing emulation on it yet. There's just so drat much in the PSX/PSP/Vita library that emulating on the thing feels almost gratuitous.

The best parts about using the Vita are all the convenience features that 'just work' - specifically bluetooth and sleep mode, which the emu devices all seem to have problems with to varying degrees. Supposedly you can even run it through a PC, or a raspberry pi, to get display out to a screen, though I haven't tried it yet. And it's nice to hold and of course the screen is gorgeous. Just hack that poo poo already!

The only real downside is you don't get the cool EmulationStation UI with video previews and stuff for browsing a large library. If you're the type that only wants to put a few games on your system and play through just those though, that hardly matters. If you're looking for a system that forces you to just focus on a few games at a time, the Vita's UI is practically made for that.

^^ yeah you'll need an sd2vita (they're under $10), and if a 1000 version, a sony memory card. I already had one, you probably do too if you or someone you love played anything on yours previously. If not though you only need the cheapest/smallest version, which is still a significant tax.

vv I haven't actually tried mine with PSX much yet either and yeah it does seem like that will be a problem.

Oh, I also put scummvm on it, which is amazing.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Might just be me but I have been disappointed in my Vita as a PSX machine. The support and hardware are nearly fantastic but the lack of real L2/3 and R2/3 buttons really compromises the experience for me. I got a grip that sort of adds them but it still feels very meh to me. I suppose it really depends on the games you play.