Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
I have had a very good time, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Rozzbot posted:

I have had a very good time, thank you

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rozzbot posted:

I ended up building a rosin press to do my extracts with cause alcohol is pretty expensive and a bit of a gently caress around.

My first batch of rosin gummies were pretty weak, needed like a whole handful to do much, but I wasn't really getting much out of the press.

I made some improvements and just had the first gummie out of my second attempt about half an hour ago. I think I'm going to get my rear end kicked, I'm already high as gently caress lol.

you should still decarb in a second step if you aren't already. rosin is somewhat decarbed but it's not really hot enough for long enough to finish the job

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
the weed thread: hot and long enough to finish the job

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie
this morning's plans are get stoned (check), then watch The Producers for the first time (❌)

will report back

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

That an 18mm to 9mm adapter? High speed long drag tactilol bs!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why did I get probated for joking about killing rich people but the 20 posters who did it after me didn't lol

Better question why am I so stupid I keep hanging out in a place where people gently caress with me

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Hardawn posted:

FECO is a smoother consistency. The RSO I've gotten seemed better as far as effect imo.
:shrug: this is just different people doing different things with different starting material then. FECO is just "Full Extract Cannabis Oil" which is exactly what RSO was supposed to be. The move from RSO to FECO in naming, I believe, has a lot to do with not wanting Rick Simpson's name involved in businesses unrelated to him.

There appears to be tons of misinfo on this, this article claims the two things are substantially different (also magical butter devices suck and I distrust these people):

https://magicalbutter.com/blogs/mag...lant%20extract.

quote:

FECO is actually an acronym. It stands for Full Extract Canna Oil. It is sometimes mistaken for RSO (Rick Simpson Oil), but FECO is very different and very superior.

FECO's claim to fame is that it is a concentrated, whole-plant extract.
Gee how do we make this "concentrated, whole-plant extract", also are you using fan leaves and roots, I loving doubt it so don't call it whole plant you nonce.

Their recipe is literally "soak an ounce of bud in 150 proof grain alcohol for quite a while, strain it, and then run it through our machine to reduce the amount of alcohol": https://magicalbutter.com/blogs/base-recipes/magical-tincture

And how do we make RSO?

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Rick-Simpson-Oil

we soak cannabis in food grade isopropyl or high proof grain alcohol for a while, strain it, evaporate the alcohol and now we have RSO.

tl;dr FECO is RSO and claims to the contrary seem to be coming from a mix of bro-science places and companies that sell dumb bullshit like the Magical Butter Machine. (There's plenty of good home extraction gear these days, that ain't it).

Coco dispensaries, whoever they are, are correct on this: https://www.cocodispensaries.com/post/what-is-feco-rso

This article claims that RSO originally used naphtha to pull, so the move to "FECO" is to differentiate alcohol processing: https://www.mediblereview.com/feco-vs-rso-whats-the-difference/

However, while Rick did, ages ago do petrochem extracts, he's been talking about nothing but alcohol for years (http://phoenixtears.ca/producing-the-oil/) and ain't no one touching naphtha unless they're making DMT.

this is all very pedantic

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I typed out three different responses but they kept circling round to a joke about killing rich people so I don't have an answer for you. Sorry.

Probably better to smoke some weed and forget about it.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

The move from RSO to FECO in naming, I believe, has a lot to do with not wanting Rick Simpson's name involved in businesses unrelated to him.

Okay real talk time, yes, this is the case, as Rick Simpson is of the "RSO cured Stage 5 Pancreatic cancer when the chemo couldn't!!!" varietal. It's absolutely medical disinformation, it has probably resulted in people either suffering more than they need to or even potentially dying because they thought some weed product would cure their cancer and they either delayed or stopped treatment.

Rick Simpson loving sucks and I'd love if we took up the whole "TO THIS DAY, we are milking Rick Simpson in a warehouse in the Pacific Northwest so we can consume his sweet, sweet cannabis oil" narrative and everyone else did too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I meant to post that in a different that thread, but I'm stoned

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

bagmonkey posted:

Okay real talk time, yes, this is the case, as Rick Simpson is of the "RSO cured Stage 5 Pancreatic cancer when the chemo couldn't!!!" varietal. It's absolutely medical disinformation, it has probably resulted in people either suffering more than they need to or even potentially dying because they thought some weed product would cure their cancer and they either delayed or stopped treatment.

Rick Simpson loving sucks and I'd love if we took up the whole "TO THIS DAY, we are milking Rick Simpson in a warehouse in the Pacific Northwest so we can consume his sweet, sweet cannabis oil" narrative and everyone else did too

the warehouse is actually just down I-5 from me, it smells lovely on a summer day

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

precision posted:

Why did I get probated for joking about killing rich people but the 20 posters who did it after me didn't lol

Better question why am I so stupid I keep hanging out in a place where people gently caress with me

idk op maybe you should kill some billionaires about it and smoke some weed

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie

precision posted:

what doesn't ban you only makes you stronger

update on "the producers": what the gently caress am I watching?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

bagmonkey posted:

yeah, it's also not like he loving invented high potency extracts using solvents, people were blasting BHO in the 60s and beyond and as this paper points out alcohol has been used as a NP/P solvent for centuries https://www.cannabissciencetech.com/view/the-evolution-of-ethanol-extraction-methods-in-cannabis

and yea, gently caress anyone encouraging weird alt health poo poo in place of loving cancer treatments, ffs.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I have had friends who believed his 'RSO cures cancer' 60g full treatment bollocks.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
The placebo effect is proven effective 30% of the time. Seems good enough to build a business off of.

Thank you goon for the long post describing the extraction method. When I looked it up I arrived at the same conclusions. FECO almost seems slightly more refined, probably removing chlorophyll and the plant lipids I guess?

I need to Google a visual chart of the different consistencies of concentrates that result from the various extraction methods.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Hardawn posted:

Thank you goon for the long post describing the extraction method. When I looked it up I arrived at the same conclusions. FECO almost seems slightly more refined, probably removing chlorophyll and the plant lipids I guess?

probably not; only if people bother winterizing are the "unwanted" things removed. Airquotes used because some weed whackos think there is an entourage effect which includes basically everything and maybe you should use the stem as a toothpick. I winterize, generally even for edibles, but I'm not producing at commercial scale :shrug:

Babby plants, mix of gorilla glue, some peyote/kush cross, a bunch of CBD for my mom, other poo poo. About half of these survived (moisture problems one day) but the ones that did are ~4-5" now and showing 2-3 sets of nodes. Time to go in 1gals, wait 2 weeks, get topped.

I love weed and it's been real fun doing my thing legally for a few years, but seeing what's happened with prices in other states, there would certainly come a point where I'd stop doing any of it. Growing outdoor bud isn't worth it to me if I'm not processing it into something edible or dabbable, the effort of doing that outstrips the effort of growing weed outdoors, and I am realizing it's labor I wouldn't actually be unhappy to outsource if prices seemed reasonable to me and testing was believable and store bought stuff seemed at least as safe as my own. OTOH my own costs end up being like 2-5% dispensary costs so that's a large hill to climb, and I sort of enjoy having weed to throw at anyone that might visit.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
:shrug: doing weed to cure cancer seems wrong, but doing weed and having it maybe cure cancer as a bonus seems right? :shrug:

Hardawn posted:

I need to Google a visual chart of the different consistencies of concentrates that result from the various extraction methods.

there really are only two methods - chemical and mechanical. Chemical is alcohol, butane, or whatever. Mechanical would be something like cold water hash bags or a live rosin press.

The issue with chemical extraction is getting the extracting chemical back out. The issue with mechanical is efficiency and potency. So for example, butane will make the THC literally run off the weed, but you have to get the butane back out. And even if you go through and sort/sift a buncha flower until its all bud, sticking it in a 10-ton press will have less amount/potency of a yield vs butane. These are sorta broad generalizations (getting the butane back out isn't necessarily hard, the potency yields from mechanical presses are nominal if the bud is processed correctly, etc.)

If you're buying any sort of concentrate from a store, its 99.999999999% likely it was made using butane unless very specifically noted. Also I've tried both mechanical processes at home numerous times with various results. Cold water hash was usually a novel afternoon making a big mess in the backyard to get some funky poo poo that looked and smelled like lawn clippings, but had a very distinct high. I've also used a t-shirt press to press weed into oil, which didn't come out that great but I blame my setup more than anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This RSO I'm getting is made by Roots and says it's made with organic ethanol and has no artificial junk in it. Definitely feels like a very clean high

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

:shrug: doing weed to cure cancer seems wrong, but doing weed and having it maybe cure cancer as a bonus seems right? :shrug:

Agree, there's no evidence I know of that huge doses of weed interfere with any known cancer treatment and so I think if you're throwing everything you've got at cancer and want to do that too, great. Also, if a person doesn't want to fight the cancer because the drugs and prognosis seem more horrible than accepting death I think that can be totally reasonable and using large amounts of pot as a pallative aid could also be fine.

The problems, of course, are in the huge space in between this where people are lied to or scammed, and tend to buy into it because, I mean, come on, chemo drugs sound awful, who wouldn't rather take weed instead if it actually worked? Too bad it doesn't. Terrence McKenna, after his cancer diagnosis, said something to the effect that pot clearly doesn't have much anticarcinogenic utility or his death would not be possible :laugh:

what happened to your avatar? It was funny.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
There's a hilarious amount of people online making dumbass claims like 'Smoking cannabis is good for you. The effects of inhaling the smoke are more than offset by the anti-cancer properties.' If you question it they either link to some sketchy reports that kind of hint cannabis might reduce the chances of some cancers or just say, 'I researched this, don't question me'.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What's nice is that now that it's largely legal we can start to get some actual reports and studies on the effects of marijuana use rather than the common line of weed being a panacea for all ills.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I think it mostly helps you feel less like poo poo while having cancer

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Inspector Hound posted:

I think it mostly helps you feel less like poo poo

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Inspector Hound posted:

I think it mostly helps you feel

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
I just meant a visual guide to badder/budder/live resin/rosin/shatter/diamonds and the various consistencies one achieves through the methods(as you described) and post extraction steps(whipping in air etc.)

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie

I think, therefor I weed

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
I'm going to Google temple balls and make one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Inspector Hound posted:

I help less poo poo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

ive known several people who used it to help alleviate symptoms caused by chemo, especially nausea and loss of appetite. the idea that it should be used *instead* of chemo is absurd

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

I didn't realize I had blood cancer for several years in part b/c I smoked so much weed that I never felt bad enough to get checked out

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
drat it why does 4/20 have to be on a Thursday this year :smith:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

drat it why does 4/20 have to be on a Thursday this year :smith:
So it can be on a Saturday next year! :unsmigghh:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i will be in newark new jersey on 4/20 this year. not sure what to do with that!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hirayuki posted:

So it can be on a Saturday next year! :unsmigghh:

:aaaaa:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Earwicker posted:

i will be in newark new jersey on 4/20 this year. not sure what to do with that!

gonna throw an option out there: weed

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Weed is great as a complimentary medicine for cancer, but it should never be used as an alternative to conventional cancer treatments. Simpson and his acolytes claimed that a course of 60g of RSO would cure cancers, and people believed him. There was a large wave of scammers who took advantage of this in the UK, often selling poor quality oil to very sick people at a huge markup. There were even cases where people were sold syringes of syrup or treacle. I guess dead people don't report scams to the police....

There were people who I knew who decided to use the oil treatment instead of chemotherapy, and well... yeah....

Most if not all of the science behind the cannabis curing cancer stuff comes from invitro studies, where the cancer cells have been injected with cannabinoids in a lab environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

get high, take the train into the city, do awesome city stuff while high? may I recommend Da Met?