Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I still wonder what the original context for 'Evil Rey with foldout lightsaber' was, and how many entire script overhauls happened between filming it and the movie that exists now

I would have guessed it was a reshoot from after they actually committed to rey palpatine. That they could have her with hood up instead of a bad wig was pure upside

e: Ah but it was in one of the earlier trailers, right? The decisions of star wars 9 are the eternal mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Dark Side Dentistry will never not be funny to me

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
along with the accents it's just more evidence that being evil makes you more British

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Assepoester posted:

Otherwise, Canto Blight and Dee Jay show Finn where cynicism and both-sides-ism would lead him

Well paid and prospering?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I rather fondly remember the whole sequence introducing Savage Opress. (lol, that name) Yes, it's hella Star Wars cliche with that name and the whole secret apprentice thing, but it also pretty much lays out that the entire Sith apprenticeship process is basically just the cycle of abuse.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I'd wager the Evil Rey Vision was something that was there from pretty early on. The concept art book for the movie has quotes from the artists mentioning the scene potentially happening in a forest or underwater, which points to the designs being done when the story was still pretty malleable.

The book also mentions Terrio and Abrams just jotting down a list of cool images early in the writing process and seeing if there was any way to fit them into the story - the horseback charge was mentioned specifically, but a contextless apparition of Evil Rey also seems like something that would be included in a list of "what would be cool things to see in the movie".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's amazing how much Content these film projects generate, and then they seem to put together the actual film with the aid of Mad Libs.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Spermando posted:

A lot of the arguments for TLJ come from people making up a movie in their heads that successfully develops the zero setups RJ left for the next director. The discourse is so poisoned at this stage that the anti-grifter side has to to pretend Episode VIII of the Star Wars saga is actually too good for the saga and any fault you find in it is because all the movies that came after and before failed to give it good setups and follow ups.

That’s not 100% wrong though; the Disney “ST” is a pseudo-trilogy where none of the films have anything to do with eachother at all. They share a plot, in the basic sense that wookieepedia does, but that’s about it. There’s no actual narrative across the films, and no consistent narrative within the films themselves. So why not approach “Episode 8” as a purely standalone film, disconnected from everything but the base concept of good and bad things.

Taken this way, Episode 8 is a condensed remake of Lucas’ Star Wars in its entirety - and ‘improved’, from the standpoint of TVTropes.

A character who resembles Princess Leia delivers a message to a character who resembles Obi Wan Kenobi. A character even comments that, yes, this is the exact same event - except with the comedy twist that Obiwan doesn’t want to help! Lol! In fact, none of the OT-equivalent characters want to help this Neo-Leia - and most are actively undermining her quest. So she picks up the sword herself, ‘redeems’ the Vader-equivalent, and then even he betrays her!

In a broader sense, FN tries to infiltrate the “Death Star” and fails when someone betrays him. FN then tries to do a suicide-strike on the “Death Star” and fails when someone betrays him. Actual-Leia tries to start a Resistance base on Hoth and fails because someone betrays her. She calls upon the Galaxy to rise up in a new Rebellion, and fails because they betray her.

So you have a parody of Star Wars where everything goes wrong, and the message is ultimately just one of sticking to your faith in spite of all possible setbacks and evidence to the contrary.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Leia and hux are interesting characters to compare and kinda inverses of each other.

Leia seems to be charismatic and well-liked within the resistance but it can't be overstated how ineffective she was at command, or accomplishing anything politically. Hux is cringe but insofar as he can take credit for the achievements of the first order he was second/third in command of, dude destroyed the new republic, shrugged off the loss of a death star like it was nothing, killed 99.99% of the resistance, and conquered the galaxy in like the span of a week.

I guess it makes me think that maybe the star war should be looked at more in terms of material conditions, and less in terms of who got owned by a yo momma joke

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 12, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

No Mods No Masters posted:

maybe the star war should be looked at more in terms of material conditions,
No. No!!!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess it makes me think that maybe the star war should be looked at more in terms of material conditions, and less in terms of who got owned by a yo momma joke

Well yeah: the flipside of Johnson’s message that “the Resistance cannot fail; it can only be failed” is that the Resistance is perpetually failed and never accomplishes anything in the movie.

In the context of the series as a whole, this is dumb as poo poo. But again, when completely decontextualized by its fans, it goes down a bit easier.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In context, TLJ is a bad Star Wars and a bad sequel. Out of context, TLJ is a good metacommentary with interesting (f a bit confused) thematics. Is it a good movie? I think that depends on how easily you're able to remove it from its context as a franchise entry, or whether you think that's a valid or valuable thing to do.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

metacommentary is lame, no one wants that

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I never metacommentary I liked.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mantis42 posted:

metacommentary is lame, no one wants that

So you guys dont like Nute Gunray? All of the sudden you're anti-Gunray?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

In context, TLJ is a bad Star Wars and a bad sequel. Out of context, TLJ is a good metacommentary with interesting (f a bit confused) thematics. Is it a good movie? I think that depends on how easily you're able to remove it from its context as a franchise entry, or whether you think that's a valid or valuable thing to do.

Could you expand on this, specifically the first part?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Taken this way, Episode 8 is a condensed remake of Lucas’ Star Wars in its entirety - and ‘improved’, from the standpoint of TVTropes.

My God... You're right.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Could you expand on this, specifically the first part?

I think a lot of traditional film criticism needs to be adjusted or amended when examining a modern media franchise. We're at a place where a "franchise" is probably now as valid an artwork as a song or a painting. It's a bit of a difficult pill to swallow, because rights holders who control a franchise are a soulless capitalist collective, and many people are inclined to (incorrectly) cast them in the same role as the artist when considering a franchise as an artwork. They are not a creator, but instead an embodiment of medium—representing the establishment of parameters of the medium that this franchise exists within.

The cynic has an easy argument to make for the soullessness of the entire medium, and it's really easy to write off a franchise as a valid type of artwork due to the fact that most of them suck poo poo and are full of garbage. But whether we like it or not, a singular story told through the collective works and called 'canon' by a corporate entity is indeed a type of art unless your definition of art requires intent—though you'd be bucking the art establishment if you were to do so. Canon, unfortunately, does exist. Multiple simultaneous canons, even (and hell, headcanons and fan-fiction canons, too). You can choose to ignore that in your interpretation of the work, but that doesn't mean it's not a potentially valid aspect of the work.

From that perspective, you can think of a franchise as a book. Every new entry that comes out is a new chapter in that book, and adding it constitutes the creation of a new edition of that book. New chapters can be added at any point in the story, or old chapters can be revised and updated. From this perspective, each new chapter has a certain responsibility to other chapters and to its reader to continue a larger story in a way that is thematically and narratively connected to prior and subsequent chapters. Your favorite edition of the book might be the 4th, while someone else's might be the 12th, and each can exist side-by-side as separate works. This book will update for as long as Star Wars stories are made. And Star Wars has been playing in this territory since at least 1981 with the rerelease of ANH with the subtitle and chapter number, and redefined how these books can be revised in 1997. It happened again in 2008 when Clone Wars overwrote the '03 series and was declared to be in-canon, and in 2015 with the establishment of the new canon and the jettisoning of the (arguably already invalid post-prequels) EU.

When looking at TLJ through this lens, it becomes a lot easier to understand some of the film's louder critics. Take the portrayal of Luke, for instance. Personally, I think having Luke be a burnt-out loser who hosed up and let everyone down is a cool, unexpected choice. He gets to represent the perpetual disappointment of each generation in the eyes of the next, having been given the keys to the kingdom but winding up having learned nothing and maintaining the status quo. He is an especially great metaphor for the boomers, a generation of Vietnam-protesting hippies who turned yuppie and kept all the old bad systems in place instead of burning them down. Luke was the last Space Catholic left in the galaxy, and instead of tossing it all out and saying "let's be nice to each other," he built a new Space Catholic Church and enrolled a bunch of kids saying that surely this time, his wisdom would mean nothing bad would ever happen again inside Space Catholicism despite having the same beliefs and using the same book. It embodies the best of mythological storytelling, weaving inherently human truths into the narrative using existing characters and scenarios, which follow organically from what came before.

However, through the lens of franchise-as-book, that choice could be read as a somewhat muddled continuation of the larger themes and character dynamics present in prior chapters. I'm not going to rehash all of the arguments because it would more or less be a laundry list of people's complaints about Luke's characterization and place within the story that you can find on any Reddit rant, but I think many of them are valid in this context. I also, personally, tend to think "who cares?" and appreciate the film in a different context, but that doesn't make them points without some merit. But that doesn't mean those same thematic points I found compelling couldn't have still remained contained within the story, but instead illustrated through the failures of Han and Leia and the New Republic, while Luke could have embodied the "I'll never turn to the dark side" attitude from the previous chapter, which might have lead to a more mythic continuation of the character.

TLJ actually does recognize this—it agrees that Luke should toss out the Space Bible and shed the baggage of organized religion, starting fresh with something more fundamental and pure. It knows that the Jedi were bad, and that it is a mistake to continue their ways. But instead of Luke being the driving force behind this—which would have been a natural continuation of him saying "gently caress you" to Yoda and Obi-Wan, believing in the good inside of his father, saving his friends, and dismantling the status quo all against the emotionally-detached teachings of the Jedi—he starts the story by being completely ignorant of this, having seemingly never considered it. He has to learn that message over the course of the film, and it rings extremely hollow when it's a lesson given to him by Yoda, the guy he defied in the first place—and indeed, the very embodiment of the hypocrisy and failures of the Jedi. It's pretty wonky stuff, when taking the larger picture into account. Instead of continuing Luke's story, TLJ repurposes him so that another character can step into the Hero with a Thousand Faces protagonist role, but in doing so pulls a thematic retcon and feels out of step with what comes before.

Personally, I prefer franchises that say gently caress you to the whole idea of canon like Mad Max. With that franchise, it's built into the storytelling, thematics, and even the text that these entries cannot and will not connect cleanly and that to try and do so betrays the very nature of what Mad Max is. It's a more flexible way of building a franchise, and makes it easier to tell great stories within it because they're less beholden to the story of the other chapters, but are still able to pick up the ball of thematics and run with it. Star Wars could have gone this direction if it wanted to, with each entry being another tale in the Journal of the Whills, connected and disconnected wherever appropriate for the parable being told. As it stands, Star Wars—as canonized by Disney, but more importantly presented (and conceived) by the artists who write each chapter—is intended to be a single artwork, taken in full. Whether you choose to take that aspect into account or not, intent is one of the factors that can and often should be considered when conducting criticism on a work. Death of the author is a way to look at art, not the way. Choosing to throw out all of these ideas means that your'e working with a limp and incomplete analysis of the work.

e: Andor is a miracle because it manages to sidestep the whole minefield by generally treating Star Wars like a setting rather than a narrative. In doing so, it satisfies all camps. Future entries would be wise to take the same path. You can currently watch Mandalorian falling apart at the seams because it veered in the opposite direction.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 13, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

TLJ actually does recognize this—it agrees that Luke should toss out the Space Bible and shed the baggage of organized religion, starting fresh with something more fundamental and pure. It knows that the Jedi were bad, and that it is a mistake to continue their ways.

...does it, though? The Space Bible is not tossed out, it's kept safe with Rey. And prequel style proselytizing of vulnerable and impressionable kids continues, as seen with broom boy.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The movie's position is exceedingly bland and vague but not hard to parse, rey will Learn From Failure and just sort of take what's good from the books and throw out the bad. Now to be sure, what the failures were, what she is supposed to have learned from them, and what the good and bad points of the jedi religion are is never even remotely specified.

I think the only thing the movie gives you, and it's a big reach, is that the books are boring. So the jedi religion needs to become more exciting I guess

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

I think a lot of traditional film criticism needs to be adjusted or amended when examining a modern media franchise. We're at a place where a "franchise" is probably now as valid an artwork as a song or a painting. It's a bit of a difficult pill to swallow, because rights holders who control a franchise are a soulless capitalist collective, and many people are inclined to (incorrectly) cast them in the same role as the artist when considering a franchise as an artwork. They are not a creator, but instead an embodiment of medium—representing the establishment of parameters of the medium that this franchise exists within.

The cynic has an easy argument to make for the soullessness of the entire medium, and it's really easy to write off a franchise as a valid type of artwork due to the fact that most of them suck poo poo and are full of garbage. But whether we like it or not, a singular story told through the collective works and called 'canon' by a corporate entity is indeed a type of art unless your definition of art requires intent—though you'd be bucking the art establishment if you were to do so. Canon, unfortunately, does exist. Multiple simultaneous canons, even (and hell, headcanons and fan-fiction canons, too). You can choose to ignore that in your interpretation of the work, but that doesn't mean it's not a potentially valid aspect of the work.

From that perspective, you can think of a franchise as a book. Every new entry that comes out is a new chapter in that book, and adding it constitutes the creation of a new edition of that book. New chapters can be added at any point in the story, or old chapters can be revised and updated. From this perspective, each new chapter has a certain responsibility to other chapters and to its reader to continue a larger story in a way that is thematically and narratively connected to prior and subsequent chapters. Your favorite edition of the book might be the 4th, while someone else's might be the 12th, and each can exist side-by-side as separate works. This book will update for as long as Star Wars stories are made. And Star Wars has been playing in this territory since at least 1981 with the rerelease of ANH with the subtitle and chapter number, and redefined how these books can be revised in 1997. It happened again in 2008 when Clone Wars overwrote the '03 series and was declared to be in-canon, and in 2015 with the establishment of the new canon and the jettisoning of the (arguably already invalid post-prequels) EU.

When looking at TLJ through this lens, it becomes a lot easier to understand some of the film's louder critics. Take the portrayal of Luke, for instance. Personally, I think having Luke be a burnt-out loser who hosed up and let everyone down is a cool, unexpected choice. He gets to represent the perpetual disappointment of each generation in the eyes of the next, having been given the keys to the kingdom but winding up having learned nothing and maintaining the status quo. He is an especially great metaphor for the boomers, a generation of Vietnam-protesting hippies who turned yuppie and kept all the old bad systems in place instead of burning them down. Luke was the last Space Catholic left in the galaxy, and instead of tossing it all out and saying "let's be nice to each other," he built a new Space Catholic Church and enrolled a bunch of kids saying that surely this time, his wisdom would mean nothing bad would ever happen again inside Space Catholicism despite having the same beliefs and using the same book. It embodies the best of mythological storytelling, weaving inherently human truths into the narrative using existing characters and scenarios, which follow organically from what came before.

However, through the lens of franchise-as-book, that choice could be read as a somewhat muddled continuation of the larger themes and character dynamics present in prior chapters. I'm not going to rehash all of the arguments because it would more or less be a laundry list of people's complaints about Luke's characterization and place within the story that you can find on any Reddit rant, but I think many of them are valid in this context. I also, personally, tend to think "who cares?" and appreciate the film in a different context, but that doesn't make them points without some merit. But that doesn't mean those same thematic points I found compelling couldn't have still remained contained within the story, but instead illustrated through the failures of Han and Leia and the New Republic, while Luke could have embodied the "I'll never turn to the dark side" attitude from the previous chapter, which might have lead to a more mythic continuation of the character.

TLJ actually does recognize this—it agrees that Luke should toss out the Space Bible and shed the baggage of organized religion, starting fresh with something more fundamental and pure. It knows that the Jedi were bad, and that it is a mistake to continue their ways. But instead of Luke being the driving force behind this—which would have been a natural continuation of him saying "gently caress you" to Yoda and Obi-Wan, believing in the good inside of his father, saving his friends, and dismantling the status quo all against the emotionally-detached teachings of the Jedi—he starts the story by being completely ignorant of this, having seemingly never considered it. He has to learn that message over the course of the film, and it rings extremely hollow when it's a lesson given to him by Yoda, the guy he defied in the first place—and indeed, the very embodiment of the hypocrisy and failures of the Jedi. It's pretty wonky stuff, when taking the larger picture into account. Instead of continuing Luke's story, TLJ repurposes him so that another character can step into the Hero with a Thousand Faces protagonist role, but in doing so pulls a thematic retcon and feels out of step with what comes before.

Personally, I prefer franchises that say gently caress you to the whole idea of canon like Mad Max. With that franchise, it's built into the storytelling, thematics, and even the text that these entries cannot and will not connect cleanly and that to try and do so betrays the very nature of what Mad Max is. It's a more flexible way of building a franchise, and makes it easier to tell great stories within it because they're less beholden to the story of the other chapters, but are still able to pick up the ball of thematics and run with it. Star Wars could have gone this direction if it wanted to, with each entry being another tale in the Journal of the Whills, connected and disconnected wherever appropriate for the parable being told. As it stands, Star Wars—as canonized by Disney, but more importantly presented (and conceived) by the artists who write each chapter—is intended to be a single artwork, taken in full. Whether you choose to take that aspect into account or not, intent is one of the factors that can and often should be considered when conducting criticism on a work. Death of the author is a way to look at art, not the way. Choosing to throw out all of these ideas means that your'e working with a limp and incomplete analysis of the work.

e: Andor is a miracle because it manages to sidestep the whole minefield by generally treating Star Wars like a setting rather than a narrative. In doing so, it satisfies all camps. Future entries would be wise to take the same path. You can currently watch Mandalorian falling apart at the seams because it veered in the opposite direction.

I think this is a great post, thank you.

I agree that franchises as a setting (such as Mad Max) can be a very novel way to handle world-building without strict adherence to connected linear continuity. Warhammer 40K does something similar, with a well-worn adage that “everything is canon, not everything is true”, with a baked in narrative caveat that the Warp causes weird poo poo and all narrators are inherently unreliable and any inconsistencies are due to the setting itself being unable to keep its own story straight - there’s a whole department of the human governmental administration who’s sole job is to argue over what “the present year” even is, for example.

On the flip side, I do like me some narrative interconnectedness sometimes - the MCU is a good example, with characters crossing over and plot threads from one movie/TV show having continuations or payoffs years later in something else.

When I was younger I used to live and breathe Star Wars and its expanded universe, but thinking back the stuff I enjoyed the most were the offshoot stories that didn’t focus on Han, Luke, and Leia, the stuff that (like you said) treated it as a *setting* and not as a narrative. The X-wing books, the West End Games RPG, the “Tales From” books that focused on Jabba’s palace and the Mos Eisley Cantina, stuff like that. I’ve even had a very long running RPG character that I’ve kept around for a quarter century, dropping him in adventures where the setting is more important than the narrative (although I’ve casually slotted him in some very obscure “canon” events, because I think it’s fun).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's very funny comparing tlj to attack of the clones and recognising that canto bight is kamino but stupid and DJ is just DJango Fett but without anything interesting going on

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
hey guys i liked the newest mando episode it had some star wars stuff

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

hey guys i liked the newest mando episode it had some star wars stuff

came here to post similarly noncommittal praise. I enjoyed it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

feedmyleg posted:

I'm sorry, but that entire post is incoherent blather. Things are already off to a bad start in the first paragraph - even the second sentence:

"We're at a place where a 'franchise' is probably now as valid an artwork as a song or a painting. "

Leaving aside your notion of '"validity" (to whom?) why is "franchise" in "quotes"? Is it because, perhaps, you're actually referring to concepts like series and multimedia that are not even remotely new or unusual? The only twist is the claim that corporations are an embodiment of media(???), with "parameters". This, I suppose, is a claim that franchises are a unique type of series (or other collection of artworks) because of the "parameters" imposed by the corporation. Ok, sure. So, what are the parameters?

"You can think of a franchise as a book [...] each new chapter has a certain responsibility to other chapters and to its reader to continue a larger story in a way that is thematically and narratively connected to prior and subsequent chapters."

And, well, no. That's false. The claim that the corporations have this responsibility is false, but the claim that franchises tell "larger stories" is also false. It's conflating the concept of a franchise, which is simply the branding of various random products, with the plot continuity of so-called cinematic/expanded "universes" - and then conflating that with actual narrative.

For the example you bring up with Mad Max, that franchise includes videogames, comic books, novelizations... but also action figures, statuettes, t-shirts, and whatever else that WB slaps the branding onto. Y'know: "Spaceballs: The Flamethrower!" Are these chapters in a book?

Anyways, Disney's claim that "everything is canon" is atypical for a franchise - and it's also transparently a lie.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 13, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

My friend owned one! She said it was a lot of work (and she had a pet skunk and horses, so definitely an animal person). She had trouble selling it to a new owner because it would masturbate when prospective people would come to meet it. She highly discourages baby yodas as pets.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Vim Fuego posted:

My friend owned one! She said it was a lot of work (and she had a pet skunk and horses, so definitely an animal person). She had trouble selling it to a new owner because it would masturbate when prospective people would come to meet it. She highly discourages baby yodas as pets.

She shouldn't have fed it after midnight, then it would have kept all it's fur.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I really hope one day they get to make a follow up to the Zillo Beast.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really hope one day they get to make a follow up to the Zillo Beast.

They kinda did in Bad Batch S2 - the Empire is capturing them and growing them to harvest information for cloning and making weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nn0ZcmnC94

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Assepoester posted:

Dark Side Dentistry will never not be funny to me

Anyone else thinking about the dentist scene in Coneheads

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I just have to accept that there are some fans out there like yourself that actually thought what they did with Luke in TLJ in creating them as this “burnt out loser” as a good thing.

News flash, people REALLY like Luke Skywalker. He’s the main character of the original trilogy and goes through a pretty drat good character arc. For that to be foolishly tossed away for this rubbed people the wrong way. People don’t want to see Luke Skywalker the loser.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wouldn't mind if he was burnt out and tortured. But the way it played out, especially at the start with him just tossing his old saber over the shoulder felt so hokey. I don't think he would have done that - its' a stupid gag.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ya the guy who previously tossed his weapon aside would never do that

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jerkface posted:

ya the guy who previously tossed his weapon aside would never do that

He was throwing it aside as he didn't want to kill his dad and he was going down the dark side. It thematically makes sense in that movie.

It made zero sense here.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 13, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Vintersorg posted:

He was throwing it aside as he didn't want to kill his dad.

a weird lady shows up and hands him his old sword he lost, but he's done fighting, what should he do? cry about it?

kiss it?

one of the things that bummed me the most about the ST was trying to make anakins lightsaber into an Excalibur like weapon without really putting in the effort in universe. its all only for the audience. Obi and Ani go through sabers like candy in the PT they're not sacred. just build a new one.

edit: then having the temerity to add that line by ghost Luke in tros about throwing the saber. Luke himself hid his and leias sabers away! famously resolved 2 major conflicts by not using them!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 13, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s a gag stolen from spaceballs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I just have to accept that there are some fans out there like yourself that actually thought what they did with Luke in TLJ in creating them as this “burnt out loser” as a good thing.

News flash, people REALLY like Luke Skywalker. He’s the main character of the original trilogy and goes through a pretty drat good character arc. For that to be foolishly tossed away for this rubbed people the wrong way. People don’t want to see Luke Skywalker the loser.

It’s like this for me, too. “Guess what, the heroes you loved grew up to be losers” is a choice, and could work with the appropriate character development and build-up, but the sequel trilogy didn’t provide that. All of the transition happened off-camera, which makes the character change feel like whiplash (not to mention that the change itself is unappealing).

It’s not entirely dissimilar to Anakin’s heel-turn in the prequel trilogy. Yeah we know it has to happen because narratively he becomes Vader, but the way it plays out is so abrupt that it feels unsatisfying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Canon, unfortunately, does exist. Multiple simultaneous canons, even (and hell, headcanons and fan-fiction canons, too).
You seem to be saying that Canons are just ideas, and that there are as many Canons as human beings who feel like imagining Canons, all equally valid, and all existing to the extent that people believe they exist.

That's exactly what people mean when we say Canon isn't real.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 13, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Xenomrph posted:

It’s like this for me, too. “Guess what, the heroes you loved grew up to be losers” is a choice, and could work with the appropriate character development and build-up, but the sequel trilogy didn’t provide that. All of the transition happened off-camera, which makes the character change feel like whiplash (not to mention that the change itself is unappealing).

It’s not entirely dissimilar to Anakin’s heel-turn in the prequel trilogy. Yeah we know it has to happen because narratively he becomes Vader, but the way it plays out is so abrupt that it feels unsatisfying.

I don’t know, Anakin starts very early in the movies to show signs of his rear end in a top hat tendencies, vanity and lust for power. It never felt abrupt to me. With Luke the change is completely 100% off screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

I don’t know, Anakin starts very early in the movies to show signs of his rear end in a top hat tendencies, vanity and lust for power. It never felt abrupt to me. With Luke the change is completely 100% off screen

It's an issue with pretty much everything in the sequel trilogy not just Luke. We're talking about like 8 hours worth of Star Wars in that trilogy and the amount of information we get about what exactly happened in the prior 25 years is miniscule.