Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For fascists hypocrisy isn't a problem, it's a privilege. They'll have less than zero problem holding both view points at the same time; they'll enjoy that it pisses off their enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
They aren't bound by that pesky thing called 'truth,' and spewing bullshit is much easier than debunking it. They knowingly use this to their advantage.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

For fascists hypocrisy isn't a problem, it's a privilege. They'll have less than zero problem holding both view points at the same time; they'll enjoy that it pisses off their enemies.

deoju posted:

They aren't bound by that pesky thing called 'truth,' and spewing bullshit is much easier than debunking it. They knowingly use this to their advantage.

:hmmyes:
The Falwell’s kink wasn’t swinging, it was telling everyone else how to live (and punishing them for not) while being the farthest thing from it.

Living in obscene wealth and Jerry watching Becky get railed by the pool boy is the ultimate flex. It’s a perversion at a whole new level.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Trying to equate the living avatar of self-centered narcissism to people like Jesus and Mandela who were infinitely more selfless than Trump ever will be will never not be funny and/or infuriating. Just imagine Trump on the cross angrily yelling for God (in this case, Fred Trump?) to come save him and smite the Romans.

Technically Satan also went to prison.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mendrian posted:

Technically Satan also went to prison.

Wasn't he just cast out? I honestly am unaware.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Angry_Ed posted:

God throws him in prison for 1,000 years and then he is supposed to return to earth to lead all of us astray, appoint the anti-Christ, and then Jesus will come back.

Pretty sure he has been down there for way more than 1,000 years at this point, so God must have extended his sentence.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

A quick Google search shows the only reference to Satan actually being cast out and imprisoned happens during the events of Revelation, which was a vision of the end of the world. So no, ol' Scratch is still running around tempting people for shits and giggles.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Randalor posted:

A quick Google search shows the only reference to Satan actually being cast out and imprisoned happens during the events of Revelation, which was a vision of the end of the world. So no, ol' Scratch is still running around tempting people for shits and giggles.

Revelation, Gog and Magog, etc. is more than just "a vision of the end of the world." It's supposed to be a description of how the earth is literally fated to end and how Jesus will come back.

Revelation is where the concept of the second coming is established and if you believe that Jesus is coming back (which technically all Christians are supposed to believe), then it is supposed to be a literal description of how it is going down. There just seems to be a lot of debate on when Jesus is coming back and when that 1,000-year timer is supposed to start (or has already started) ticking.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The idea of Revelation all being an end of the world prophecy book is a modern American evangelical idea - it's not mainstream for most of the Chruch. The common interpretation was that it was talking about the Roman Empire and Nero in the time it was written to give Christians hope and all the weird imagery in it was code that Christians back then would've understood and interpreted correctly but now seems outlandish and odd to anyone else and that's how you get the Left Behind series. Only the last three chapters are considered a telling of a future event by everyone when Jesus returns and Heaven and Earth joined forever.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thom12255 posted:

The idea of Revelation all being an end of the world prophecy book is a modern American evangelical idea - it's not mainstream for most of the Chruch. The common interpretation was that it was talking about the Roman Empire and Nero in the time it was written to give Christians hope and all the weird imagery in it was code that Christians back then would've understood and interpreted correctly but now seems outlandish and odd to anyone else and that's how you get the Left Behind series. Only the last three chapters are considered a telling of a future event by everyone when Jesus returns and Heaven and Earth joined forever.

Christian millennialism is way older than modern Christianity and not American in origin.

It started around 100 AD, but the book of revelations and millennialism went mainstream in 1517 with the protestant reformation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennialism

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

Awwwww, I wanted to see the seven-headed beast...

I know the common interpretation is that it was talking about Nero and Rome, it's just more amusing to assume that it's being literal, so as long as a big gently caress-off hydra never appears, we're safe!

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1646205969188241431

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Can't wait to watch the chuds defend literal espionage lol

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Meatball posted:

Can't wait to watch the chuds defend literal espionage lol

"He DECLASSIFIED IT"
"AS GOD EMPEROR HE IS ALLOWED TO DO THAT"
etc

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
in tangential news, trump is suing cohen for half a billion dollars

quote:

The lawsuit accuses Cohen of violating his attorney-client relationship with Trump by revealing his "confidences" and "spreading falsehoods" in books, podcasts and media appearances.

It says Cohen wrongfully called Trump "racist" in his 2020 book, "Disloyal," and fabricated conversations with Trump.

i'm just a layman, but it seems like you open yourself to witness intimidation problems if you sue a lead witness shortly after you're indicted

Frankie satire
Jan 22, 2023
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR3DR1vf/
Trump 🚂🚂2024 who else supports Trump 💯🇺🇸

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

smax
Nov 9, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm just a layman, but it seems like you open yourself to witness intimidation problems if you sue a lead witness shortly after you're indicted

Also seems like you open yourself up to all sorts of discovery in the civil suit.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

So Cohen broke the client-attourney privilege, but also everything he says is a lie? Am I reading that right? I know, I know, "If Trump denies it, he'll admit to it right away".

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Randalor posted:

So Cohen broke the client-attourney privilege, but also everything he says is a lie? Am I reading that right? I know, I know, "If Trump denies it, he'll admit to it right away".

No, he's saying some things were lies, and others broke attorney-client privilege. Trump's a giant piece of poo poo, etc., etc., not trying to defend him, but there's nothing inconsistent about claiming both happened.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Randalor posted:

I know the common interpretation is that it was talking about Nero and Rome, it's just more amusing to assume that it's being literal, so as long as a big gently caress-off hydra never appears, we're safe!

move over, red heifer weirdos: i'm breeding me a big fuckoff hydra

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Google Jeb Bush posted:

move over, red heifer weirdos: i'm breeding me a big fuckoff hydra

Ozymandias is that you

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Randalor posted:

One of the hardest bosses in Dark Souls

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Looks like "wire fraud" is the the next square on your Trump Prosecution Bingo card:

Special counsel focuses on Trump fundraising off false election claims

quote:

Federal prosecutors probing the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol have in recent weeks sought a wide range of documents related to fundraising after the 2020 election, looking to determine if Trump or his advisers scammed donors by using false claims about voter fraud to raise money, eight people familiar with the new inquiries said.

Special counsel Jack Smith’s office has sent subpoenas in recent weeks to Trump advisers and former campaign aides, Republican operatives and other consultants involved in the 2020 presidential campaign, the people said. They have also heard testimony from some of these figures in front of a Washington grand jury, some of the people said.

The eight people with knowledge of the investigation spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing criminal investigation.

The fundraising prong of the investigation is focused on money raised during the period between Nov. 3, 2020, and the end of Trump’s time in office on Jan. 20, 2o21, and prosecutors are said to be interested in whether anyone associated with the fundraising operation violated wire fraud laws, which make it illegal to make false representations over email to swindle people out of money.

The new subpoenas received since the beginning of March, which have not been previously reported, show the breadth of Smith’s investigation, as Trump embarks on a campaign for reelection while assailing the special counsel investigation and facing charges of falsifying business records in New York and a separate criminal investigation in Georgia.

The subpoenas seek more specific types of communications so that prosecutors can compare what Trump allies and advisers were telling each other privately about the voter-fraud claims with what they were saying publicly in appeals that generated more than $200 million in donations from conservatives, according to people with knowledge of the investigation.

That suggests that investigators are pursuing a legal theory similar to the one used to charge former Trump adviser Stephen K. Bannon and others with fraudulent fundraising to build a wall along the southern border, in which Bannon and others were charged with defrauding donors by lying in email pitches. Bannon’s three co-defendants pleaded guilty or were convicted, while Bannon was pardoned by Trump before he faced trial. Bannon now faces similar charges from the Manhattan district attorney and awaits trial. He has pleaded not guilty.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Frankie satire posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR3DR1vf/
Trump 🚂🚂2024 who else supports Trump 💯🇺🇸

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this is a bad prob because the mod doesnt cite the original 100k hour prob.

also does the wire fraud count as wire fraud if donnie has moments where he truely believes in his soul atoms Da Steal is true, real, and Dark Biden's friend?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Looks like "wire fraud" is the the next square on your Trump Prosecution Bingo card:

I feel like I remember them having him dead to rights on wire fraud when his fundraising emails automatically signed people up for recurring. And they just like….didn’t do anything.

Spooder-Mun
Jun 18, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

this is a bad prob because the mod doesnt cite the original 100k hour prob.

I'm guessing it's this? https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=81512#frompost371257922

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FizFashizzle posted:

I feel like I remember them having him dead to rights on wire fraud when his fundraising emails automatically signed people up for recurring. And they just like….didn’t do anything.
You remembered incorrectly.

Though abusive and fraudy as hell (and something the CFPB and FTC are cracking down on), the Trump campaign's dark pattern and negative option tactics are markedly different than what's being reported as Smith's focus (sourced, undoubtedly, to the recipients of his subpoenas and their lawyers, as such leaks always are).

PhazonLink posted:

also does the wire fraud count as wire fraud if donnie has moments where he truely believes in his soul atoms Da Steal is true, real, and Dark Biden's friend?
You're correct that the major wire/mail fraud statues require intent to deceive. The subpoenas in question seem to be seeking correspondence that would prove they knew (or should have known) they were committing fraud.

To go further from Deteriorata's piece:

quote:

One new subpoena sent by the Justice Department to a Trump adviser and described to The Washington Post sought drafts of all potential fundraising emails between the November election and Jan. 20 — and any internal communications about whether such pitches were legally sound.

The subpoena asked for all records of any changes and edits made to fundraising emails, along with all discussions among Trump advisers about such email pitches. It sought all documents created or received by Trump advisers in support of — or contradicting — statements made in fundraising emails. In addition, it requested any communications among those involved in the fundraising efforts about whether fundraising emails could incite violence or contain false and misleading information.

And it asked for all documents and correspondence among Trump advisers and others involved in the campaign about whether the election was stolen — seemingly seeking to determine whether those sending or approving the emails knew some of the claims were dubious.

Prosecutors also sought information about an “Election Defense Fund” — cited in some fundraising emails that asked for donor money to challenge the election — and any documents about whether such a fund existed or whether there were plans for such a fund. Trump advisers told the Jan. 6 committee that references to the fund in pitches was a marketing tactic and no such segregated fund ever existed.

One person with knowledge of prosecutors’ inquiries said they appeared to be exploring whether people who approved the ads saying the election was stolen separately acknowledged their fundraising pitches were based on lies.

What they have found is that some of the campaign’s lawyers, and outside lawyers, did not always review the language closely for factual accuracy. While some of the emails were edited, these people said, others were approved by key figures in Trump’s orbit without close examination. At other times, they have found that some people involved in Trump’s campaign were uncomfortable with some of the fundraising language distributed to supporters.
[...]
Among other evidence, the committee found that a junior fundraising copywriter objected when he was directed to write a fundraising email asserting that Trump had won Pennsylvania before the outcome of the state’s race was clear — Biden was ultimately declared the winner there. The copywriter was fired shortly after, the report says.
Smith's perfect world is finding a series of emails to the effect of "These rubes will keep paying us so long as the idiots still believe there's a chance to overturn the election, so we need to keep publicizing the fraud angle" paired with the same people admitting they knew there was no fraud or reason to challenge or possibility of overturning the result. Ideally with explicit emails instructing the use of "election defense fund" that come with a PS of "lol idiots don't even know we're done challenging poo poo".

What Smith is likely to get is more muddled (though the Trump U stuff wasn't far off of my example above) which makes this the area he's probably going to tread lightest in. Hyperbole, false urgency, and ludicrous calls to action are the extraordinarily annoying hallmarks of political fundraising emails. With how (obnoxiously) common they are, Smith will rightly be hesitant to establish a precedent that could then be used to prosecute, say, a New England senator who continued to fundraise for their presidential primary run even after staffers internally doubted they had chance to win the nomination.

I suspect given that, Smith will only move forward with this if it is extremely blatant. Another school of thought is that he does not intend to move forward with this at all, as the mere investigation itself may lead to what he's actually after: Pressuring flips from top Trump campaign staffers who are implicated in the potential fundraising fraud - even those who stayed well away from the Mar A Lago documents, the Enquirer and Daniels payouts, etc may be in jeopardy here. Generally, I wouldn't expect top campaign staff to avoid the illegalities by sheer luck... I'd expect them to avoid them by knowing what and where the landmines were and, in Smith's shoes, I'd be very eager to get that map.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The claim of "unjust enrichment" is just :discourse:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Deteriorata posted:

This is going to be pretty funny if he ends up being charged for campaign donation fraud when the doners may well have been happy to be defrauded.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The Trump campaign ended up being responsible iirc for a significant fraction of all disputed transactions in the US in 2020

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/03/us/politics/trump-donations.html

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The Trump campaign ended up being responsible iirc for a significant fraction of all disputed transactions in the US in 2020

I'm assuming a lot of these are the folks who intended to make a one-time donation, only to have the Trump campaign turn it into a recurring one?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
There was a story of one old man who was getting evicted because it became an every other week donation.
Like it changed after x amount of weeks.

e: oh, here it is

"It was a big sum for a 63-year-old battling cancer and living in Kansas City on less than $1,000 per month. But that single contribution — federal records show it was his first ever — quickly multiplied. Another $500 was withdrawn the next day, then $500 the next week and every week through mid-October, without his knowledge — until Mr. Blatt’s bank account had been depleted and frozen. When his utility and rent payments bounced, he called his brother, Russell, for help.

What the Blatts soon discovered was $3,000 in withdrawals by the Trump campaign in less than 30 days. They called their bank and said they thought they were victims of fraud.

“It felt,” Russell said, “like it was a scam.”"

Sir, its not fraud, its only Donald Trump.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 14, 2023

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I literally live with a 78yo Bernie supporter who is finding a new charge every day. He's calling and disputing them as they arise.

He has always despised Donald Trump and never would have signed up in the first place.

Like, i live with this man today and wake up every morning for the last week to him on the phone disputing this bullshit. He's canceled all his cards and had new ones issued.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Uglycat posted:

I literally live with a 78yo Bernie supporter who is finding a new charge every day. He's calling and disputing them as they arise.

He has always despised Donald Trump and never would have signed up in the first place.

Like, i live with this man today and wake up every morning for the last week to him on the phone disputing this bullshit. He's canceled all his cards and had new ones issued.

As in the Bernie campaign is doing the same thing?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

bird food bathtub posted:

As in the Bernie campaign is doing the same thing?

I'm assuming that

quote:

means that it's Trump charging him, not the dude who he would in fact have been fine with financially supporting.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just because you are "fine with financially supporting" a candidate doesn't mean you want them to steal your life savings.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Clarste posted:

Just because you are "fine with financially supporting" a candidate doesn't mean you want them to steal your life savings.

Yes, but that's a much less reasonable parsing of what that poster wrote

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

I'm assuming that

means that it's Trump charging him, not the dude who he would in fact have been fine with financially supporting.

I could easily believe that Trumps tapped out his own based of septuagenarians bank accounts and is going off after others whose details are in some FEC donations database he’s abusing illegally.

I’d be similarly unsurprised to find that the hundreds of millions in emoluments he grifted during his presidency is dwarfed by the Billions he’s grifted from campaign contributions since then.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes, but that's a much less reasonable parsing of what that poster wrote

How is it any less reasonable than the alternative that Trump campaign is magically charging brand new credit cards? For that to be true someone must have given them the new CC info, so either OPs uncle is supporting Trump or someone is stealing their CC info and setting up donations.

Or, it’s the Bernie campaign doing it.

Edit: made my post more clear. It seems less convoluted that they are talking about the Bernie campaign, but I guess either scenario is possible given the vagueness of the post.

Seph fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Seph posted:

How is it any less reasonable than the alternative that Trump campaign is magically charging brand new credit cards? Someone must have given them the new CC info, so either OPs uncle is supporting Trump or someone is stealing their CC info and setting up donations.

I think we're talking past each other - it seems clear that the old dude is getting spurious charges from Team Trump