Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

My grocery bill which used to be 80- 120 3 years ago is now 140-180 on average. I don't even know how that's possible.

We do grocery shopping for my girlfriend's parents because they have trouble getting to the store. They are ridiculously consistent in what they buy, pretty much always getting the exact same stuff week after week. We started saving their receipts out of curiosity when we noticed prices skyrocketing a couple of years ago and the total bill more than doubled in that time even with us making store-brand substitutions.

It's going to triple from ~2021 by the end of this year, assuming prices keep going up at the same rate they have over the last few months.

edit- her parents make less money now than they did in 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Old Story posted:

I think we've been so primed by the Juicero-esque silicon valley garbage and crypto hustle scams over the last 5 years that we may be failing to recognize an actual transformative technology has come along in terms of AI

Skepticism is always good, and I think the frankly stupid media coverage of these things as semi-sentient genius bots has contributed to it, but chatgpt and the like are actually quite good at generating bullshit, and people are underestimating how much of our economy is dedicated to the production and consumption of bullshit

My job has me do a bullshit self-eval for work every year, it’s 10 pages long and wants you to write 7 essays on how you honor each of their corporate ideals.

I used to do one sentence responses and they grumble about it every year. This year I used chatgpt and they recommended me for a promotion.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/EricLevitz/status/1646212616371552270?t=9L69MJTFDd4Hu-DABCwSTA&s=19

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Nodelphi posted:

My job has me do a bullshit self-eval for work every year, it’s 10 pages long and wants you to write 7 essays on how you honor each of their corporate ideals.

I used to do one sentence responses and they grumble about it every year. This year I used chatgpt and they recommended me for a promotion.

That just means they're going to start putting out detectors and invigilating you as soon as they get wise, if it's for anything they give a poo poo about.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Apr 12, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

We do grocery shopping for my girlfriend's parents because they have trouble getting to the store. They are ridiculously consistent in what they buy, pretty much always getting the exact same stuff week after week. We started saving their receipts out of curiosity when we noticed prices skyrocketing a couple of years ago and the total bill more than doubled in that time even with us making store-brand substitutions.

It's going to triple from ~2021 by the end of this year, assuming prices keep going up at the same rate they have over the last few months.

edit- her parents make less money now than they did in 2020

yeah our grocery bills are close to triple what they used to be 1-2 years ago thats not counting the increase of almost everything else

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
My grocery bills went from a reliable range of $60 to $80 to now nothing less than $120

Don't forget about shrinkflation. On top of doubling or tripling prices most brands have cut their items down in size.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Eat more rice and beans. We live in a developing country and it's time to start acting like it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Economics is a science where you just keep yelling at people "THATS NOT HOW IT WORKS IDIOT", "NO WE MEANT SOMETHING ELSE"

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
technical analysts are just the modern bone tossers

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

technical analyst at work

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Eat more rice and beans. We live in a developing country and it's time to start acting like it.

This is the way. Having both a rice cooker and pressure cooker has saved me thousands of dollars over the past few years

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

this is a huge problem in sports. the gambling frenzy has made it worse. the people in sports come from the same schools as the economists
well yeah contemporary sports is now a simulacra of sports and increasingly a mode of capital rentseeking with resulting metamorphosis of the simulacra to better facilitate capital transactions

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I make a lot of soup now. Soup is cheap and tastes good and it's easy to make a lot of it.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Torino’s pizza was my method to an early grave, but not at this price

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Red Baron posted:

in America if you want a bike you just steal it

Yeah we had a couple of kid's bikes stolen out of our backyard. It's a little alarming to think someone was skulking around back there and a little insulting that they took the cheap walmart princess bike and left my bike.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

is pepsi ok posted:

I make a lot of soup now. Soup is cheap and tastes good and it's easy to make a lot of it.

i've been meaning to get into soups, what's your go-to soup

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

technical analysts are just the modern bone tossers

Tossers certainly

euphronius posted:

this is a huge problem in sports. the gambling frenzy has made it worse. the people in sports come from the same schools as the economists

It's a huge turn off. I used to love hockey but then the commentators are constantly referencing the over/under and obscure statistics to prop bet on, brought to you by DraftKings.

Like any time someone talks about an over/under I think of a greaseball talking about horses or boxing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Femur posted:

Torino’s pizza was my method to an early grave, but not at this price

Totino's Party Pizzas are $2.29 a piece now. This is the only index anyone needs to pay attention to

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hang on. Is he saying that instead of abusing children and putting them to work, we should just increase and rely on undocumented workers instead?

That's not any better!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheHidingGhost/status/1646016462170079233

reject literacy and communism and return to illiteracy and feudalism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

How much of a loving idiot do you have to be to react to Citations Needed and claim that they're mishearing your dumb loving dogwhistle

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

skooma512 posted:

It's a huge turn off. I used to love hockey but then the commentators are constantly referencing the over/under and obscure statistics to prop bet on, brought to you by DraftKings.

Like any time someone talks about an over/under I think of a greaseball talking about horses or boxing.

Number perverts ruin everything

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1645453362169511937?t=jS3ssQfEK2cq_2ZqE1HkCw&s=19

https://twitter.com/JonahDispatch/status/1645907668173766656?t=B_tRbd-yTgeli36NIA3YkA&s=19

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fitzy Fitz posted:

im using my instant pot daily just to make beans, it's actually making the expensive cooking implement pay for itself. cup of dry black beans + water + 23 minutes = 400 calories, no presoak

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Apr 12, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Real weird how all the "Liberals and Neoliberals" are lining up to remove child labor laws. Starting to seem like a concentrated effort.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The western capitalist bloodsucking are trying to make moves to further exploit and impoverish nations that the west has put into debt peonage. China has been blocking this. Here is a clip of the spin.
https://twitter.com/BloombergTV/status/1646253202424070144?t=d99lvOTRdc72k-JT_UsmXw&s=19

Edit: bonus clips of the psycho twirp who ghost runs liz Ann sonders account.
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1646248908115570691?t=DAQOQN_4EgobTMmpZ3uC3Q&s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Apr 12, 2023

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I know the difference between inflation and deflation, I was just poo poo posting because no matter what none of us are gonna see salary raises to combat the inflation we experienced the last two years so we’re all hosed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Glumwheels posted:

I know the difference between inflation and deflation, I was just poo poo posting because no matter what none of us are gonna see salary raises to combat the inflation we experienced the last two years so we’re all hosed.
it's good and cool imo. internal contradictions of capital in increasingly frenzied cycles of decay. and both parties are completely in line with maximizing profit and destroying social services

we're coasting on inertia and shitloads of debt-lines to paper over it but eventually it'll come to a breaking point and that's when the magic happens

e: to add, in the mean time there's going to be shitload of crab bucketting suffering with increasing intensity and frequency

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:21 on Apr 12, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

You forgot disinflation. :pseudo:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Prices went up with supply chain problems due to Covid-19 and shipping issues, and never went back down. The bike I bought in January 2020 for $1400 is now $2000.

Thank you Mr. President for $2k worth of stimulus.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Stoop Kid posted:

This is the way. Having both a rice cooker and pressure cooker has saved me thousands of dollars over the past few years

Yeah I love how you can have both going at the same time, plus whatever you're making on the stove. That's the future they promised us.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Walmart is rolling back prices all over the country. Rolling rolling rolling.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Prices went up with supply chain problems due to Covid-19 and shipping issues, and never went back down. The bike I bought in January 2020 for $1400 is now $2000.

1400$ = 2000$ iirc

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

this is what liberal economists actually believe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RealityWarCriminal posted:

1400$ = 2000$ iirc

Lmfao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

RealityWarCriminal posted:

1400$ = 2000$ iirc

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Real weird how all the "Liberals and Neoliberals" are lining up to remove child labor laws. Starting to seem like a concentrated effort.

The past thread predicted it and now that it's here it's still gross to see

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
do we even really need public school? it's just an overpriced daycare anyways. they can get the daycare needs at work instead and learn more about the REAL world. seems like a real win-win imo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

there was a discussion dick wolff had about his tutelage in modern western economics discipline, and he emphasized that the liberal school had zero conception of labor value in their theories

to me this would be like disregarding the raw natural material inputs of a commodity when trying to theorize an economic model...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
it'll be good to teach those spoiled 5 year olds some good ol' fashioned americana protestant work ethic at an early age flipping my mcdonalds big macs for $1/hour. cheap burgs for me, more profits for my equity portfolio, and makes kids stronger.

they can learn math at the cash register