Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If and when this game comes out it’ll almost certainly be the biggest gap between DX games. IW to HR was almost 8 years. HR to MD was about 5, though it seemed way longer. We’re at 6 years from MD right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Vic posted:

Ah the kids on bikes genre

Card games on motorcycles!

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Upon hearing about the closure, one of the staff members reportedly said "Onoma job"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I hope it’s true and o hope we finally get the conclusion to the Jensen stuff, complete with the Liberty Island attack and the formation of the NSF and Unatco.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

I hope it’s true and o hope we finally get the conclusion to the Jensen stuff, complete with the Liberty Island attack and the formation of the NSF and Unatco.

U...UNATCO?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

No, Savage

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

chaosapiant posted:

"The order hasn't so much lasted as been continually revived. Adam Weishaupt started from scratch in Bavaria in 1776. But so did Thomas Jefferson a few years later. It's the IDEA that has lasted. The SYSTEM. Or the DESIRE, every thinking person's desire to give the world some decent organization."

Page would only need to confront Jensen with the obvious question: what does "taking down the Illuminati" actually entail? Exposing them didn't work in 2027. Killing them all only leaves a power vacuum for somebody else to claim. The world needs order, and the Council is doing a poor job of enforcing it. With the advancements Majestic 12 is making, Page envisions a world that has no need for Picus or Tarvos. Who better to help bring it about than someone with Jensen's perspective, his strength, his intelligence? He deserves to not be left behind!

The canon conclusion to the Jensen saga probably involves him joining up with Page. What I really want from DX5, more than anything, is a selection of possible actions that directly contradict what we see in DX1. Would killing Megan and destroy her work on nano-augmentation and the Gray Death help the world? Would stopping Page's coup result in the kinder, gentler Illuminati Everett and Dowd seem to remember? Or would you just end up with a different dystopia in 2052? That's the kind of power move Spector and Smith would just love.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Captain Walker posted:

"The order hasn't so much lasted as been continually revived. Adam Weishaupt started from scratch in Bavaria in 1776. But so did Thomas Jefferson a few years later. It's the IDEA that has lasted. The SYSTEM. Or the DESIRE, every thinking person's desire to give the world some decent organization."

Page would only need to confront Jensen with the obvious question: what does "taking down the Illuminati" actually entail? Exposing them didn't work in 2027. Killing them all only leaves a power vacuum for somebody else to claim. The world needs order, and the Council is doing a poor job of enforcing it. With the advancements Majestic 12 is making, Page envisions a world that has no need for Picus or Tarvos. Who better to help bring it about than someone with Jensen's perspective, his strength, his intelligence? He deserves to not be left behind!

The canon conclusion to the Jensen saga probably involves him joining up with Page. What I really want from DX5, more than anything, is a selection of possible actions that directly contradict what we see in DX1. Would killing Megan and destroy her work on nano-augmentation and the Gray Death help the world? Would stopping Page's coup result in the kinder, gentler Illuminati Everett and Dowd seem to remember? Or would you just end up with a different dystopia in 2052? That's the kind of power move Spector and Smith would just love.

I wish you had been on the writing team for DXIW. Sounds a lot better than "idk what if ALL the endings were canon at the same time!?"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I would have loved if the ending for human revolution had multiple choices with only one being the Canon deus ex chain of events and the other being something totally different, then the sequel picked up in the other possible timeline.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

3 Deus Ex sequels, one for each choice.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Something piqued my desire to play the original again. Can anyone recommend an all-in-one tool for brightness/widescreen/resolution? I don't really want to play with any other mods at the moment, but some sharper textures and full screen would be nice. Also, I turned the brightness all the way up and, boy, it's still awfully dark.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

Something piqued my desire to play the original again. Can anyone recommend an all-in-one tool for brightness/widescreen/resolution? I don't really want to play with any other mods at the moment, but some sharper textures and full screen would be nice. Also, I turned the brightness all the way up and, boy, it's still awfully dark.

https://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

I stumbled upon that just after I posted - good to know that it's a reputable tool. I also installed Direct X 11 dlls

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'm re-playing Deus Ex for the first time in many years. I think the last run was maybe 15 years ago; this is the first one on my Steam copy rather than the original physical version.

It is, still, insanely good. Hong Kong has to be one of the best levels ever made. It feels like you could spend five hours rummaging around in this labyrinth and still not see everything. It's so dense. An absolute masterpiece of design.

Just left Tong's lab and heading to Versalife next, though I'm going to pay a visit to Jock's apartment first and I wanna explore the canals a bit first too. Also that flooded tunnel if I can remember which backroom leads to it. I normally always iced Maggie on the spot and tossed her body into the water below but I let myself get conned this time cause I genuinely forgot about her sending you to the police station and was curious to see what was in there. IIRC you can still kill her down in Versalife so that's all right.

I'm playing rather casually/impatiently and not digging in every corner but it's all good. The only disappointments are that I couldn't stop myself from installing the same drat augs and using the same skills I always do, and that I couldn't figure out how to trigger one of this game's immortal lines at the Lucky Money - "What do you say, another twenty credits?". I thought it was from Mercedes but after buying her a bunch of drinks I just said gently caress it and left. Maybe it's in the Paris club and I'm misremembering (edit: oh yeah it must be, now that I think about it isn't that line spoken in a bad French accent). Missed out on some other classics along the way too (dunking on El Rey and "resigning" from UNATCO after killing Manderley) but those were deliberate choices.

Anyway, game holds up. I'm really looking forward to the Ocean Lab, I recall that being one of my favorites back in the day.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 12, 2023

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I gotta agree about Hong Kong. The music for that map will forever be burned into my brain.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Mesadoram posted:

I gotta agree about Hong Kong. The music for that map will forever be burned into my brain.

so will the godawful chinese accents

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm currently playing through the game for the first time in yonks, and I've only just realised how many mods there are for this game. Not just visual mods, but content ones. I'm playing with the Nano Mod, which is basically just Biomod/Shifter with a few more QoL tweaks. The reason that I chose it is because it has an inventory component that makes everything take up only one space. A lot of purist wankers would frown on this, but it's giving me a chance to use the huge heavy weapons that hardly anyone uses because they take up too much space, ammo is scarce, they are situational and the sniper rifle and scoped stealth pistol still exist.

I really wish that the inventroy component was modular and could be used with other mods, but sadly not.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

JustJeff88 posted:

A lot of purist wankers would frown on this,

*is frowning* checks out

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

thunderspanks posted:

so will the godawful chinese accents

The credits all have Asian voice actors for those roles. Take from that what you will.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serephina posted:

The credits all have Asian voice actors for those roles. Take from that what you will.

a very asian man playing tracer tong, you're right: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0303344/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t14

oh and maggie chow was voiced by a white woman who was once a regular on law & order: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0566509/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t32

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Chinese accents would be offensive if all of the other accents weren't terrible. The Australian bartender in Hong Kong is personally my favourite. Ret-rick!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sway Grunt posted:

I wanna explore the canals a bit first too

Not advisable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Not advisable.

There’s that one flooded section with some good stuff.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I like goth chicks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arivia posted:

Tourists should stay in the market.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Arivia posted:

I can tell them you're a spy and they will kill you.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

beats for junkies posted:

I can tell them you're a spy and they will kill you.

do you have a single fact to back that up

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

repiv posted:

do you have a single fact to back that up

I know the dragon head!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Tourists should stay in the market.

I bet you come from the market. That's where I want to go!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm doing my first vanilla run since my first playthrough in like ~2009, so I'm paying a lot of attention to how things are balanced. It feels very deliberate how few prod charges you get on Liberty Island. Halfway through Hell's Kitchen you can have max prod ammo, but in that first level the scarcity really teaches you to combo with the baton.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zap and whack

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
A lot of the stuff that GMDX adds to the levels isn't obnoxious, to the point that I didn't notice they were additions, but now that I'm seeing the default levels again, some of it definitely rings as "modder sticks thumb into pie"

**I take this back a little, one of my favorite parts of the mole people (a toppled subway car) was added by it

Cheston fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 14, 2023

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm absolutely dreadful at aiming the stupid bloody blue baton. Why couldn't they just make it knock out with a headshot?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You're supposed to be aiming at their butt, man's true weakness.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I may play Vanilla again some day but GMDX is life now.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Was dx the last imsim to have numerical skills? It seems like the genre as a whole seems to have decided that they just weren’t a very interesting mechanic

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Grand Fromage posted:

The DLCs are great. One's a giant bank heist, the other you're in a prison to do... something, I forget. But it was good.

What the gently caress? Prison DLC? I've played and finished this game 3 times (most recently a couple years ago) and I've never seen nor heard of this prison mission? And I poke and prod every nook and cranny in these games every time I play them. I also have it in my DLC list.

How on earth have I missed this? How do you start it?

Edit: Okay, seems like there's three extra missions under "Jensen's Stories" in the main menu. None of which I've ever played because I assumes all the extra content was integrated into the main game. I feel both incredibly dumb and incredibly excited. I have new Deus Ex content to play in 2023. Envy me.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 14, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
My first and only runthrough with the prison DLC was no-aug and it was lol as gently caress. Haven't savescummed like that since playing Thief

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I thought the prison dlc was a fun side story. Only wish it was longer and a bit more fleshed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah I really liked the prison. Enough that I wanted more.