Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

deong posted:

Better than Nelson!
I wonder how much of my library has 0 views. 75%? Can I look that up?

If you sort a library by plays, the UI will show the number of plays for each item. I'm not sure if that's global or for the logged in account though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

The Gillman posted:

Plex has a guide for windows and Mac OS to move everything over so you don’t have to lose your watches status. It has to be done in the right order as per usual for plex dance

Cool, thank you

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

deong posted:

Better than Nelson!
I wonder how much of my library has 0 views. 75%? Can I look that up?

Searching and downloading in oversrr and never watching is the new "Browse Netflix menu for hours"

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

:lol: :lol:
Wow, kids....

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wow, they even managed to sit through Cars 3 10 times. Impressive.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Enos Cabell posted:

Wow, they even managed to sit through Cars 3 10 times. Impressive.

3 is sooo much better than 2

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

3 is sooo much better than 2

Is it? I tapped out after 2, but heard 3 was worse. Kind of afraid to find out for myself, so I'll take your word for it. Finding Nemo is a solid pick for top views though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have bitched about this before but it seems to be getting worse-- if you use an Android device to cast Plex to a Chromecast, do you find that the app sucks poo poo?

I have had: the app lose control of the video so I can't play or pause (Google Home app can still control it just fine), the video play on both my phone and the Chromecast at the same time, the video just fail to play until I disconnect from the Chromecast, close the app completely and restart it.

It used to only be an issue if I'd be watching a movie that would run long enough for the app to forget what it was doing (even though I have it set to have unfettered battery access), now it's getting to be a crapshoot whether the video will actually start without complaint or not. Is there something I'm doing wrong in my phone or app settings or is the Android Plex app just getting worse and worse?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

RichterIX posted:

I have bitched about this before but it seems to be getting worse-- if you use an Android device to cast Plex to a Chromecast, do you find that the app sucks poo poo?

I have had: the app lose control of the video so I can't play or pause (Google Home app can still control it just fine), the video play on both my phone and the Chromecast at the same time, the video just fail to play until I disconnect from the Chromecast, close the app completely and restart it.

It used to only be an issue if I'd be watching a movie that would run long enough for the app to forget what it was doing (even though I have it set to have unfettered battery access), now it's getting to be a crapshoot whether the video will actually start without complaint or not. Is there something I'm doing wrong in my phone or app settings or is the Android Plex app just getting worse and worse?

I had these kind of issue with my Chromecast HD. Once the Chromecast with Remote came out I bought it and it has been much better.
Now my issue is that my remote burns through batteries in like 2 weeks. I've started using the chromecast remote app on my phone....

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

This weird thing just happened. My movie drive is now on USB, and Windows just changed it from G: to J:

I unplugged another drive, and my phone. That must have been what changed the drive lettering. How do I prevent it from changing again?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Is it? I tapped out after 2, but heard 3 was worse. Kind of afraid to find out for myself, so I'll take your word for it. Finding Nemo is a solid pick for top views though.

3 is bascially 1 again, and vastly better than 2.

If you want way too much detail on watch history in your library, set up tautulli. Can even break it up by number of plays or time watched, since TV shows with super short eps like Bluey will skew the play count heavily.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fozzy The Bear posted:

This weird thing just happened. My movie drive is now on USB, and Windows just changed it from G: to J:

I unplugged another drive, and my phone. That must have been what changed the drive lettering. How do I prevent it from changing again?

Right click on Windows button (or press Win+X) -> Disk management -> right click on necessary disk -> Change drive letter

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

RichterIX posted:

I've not had it play on both Chromecast and the phone, but I often lost connection, especially if I needed to pause the movie or tv show.
My biggest issue was that after one update, I was never able to disconnect from Chromecast from within the Plex app (Android), and had to use the Home app to cut Plex off.
And I had to disable Chromecast controlling power on/off on my TV, as sometimes when I woke up in the morning, I was met with the Plex menu, even though I had turned off the TV and made sure Plex was not running in the background before going to bed.

Now I've gotten a Chromecast with Remote, and it's just smooth sailing.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

deong posted:

I had these kind of issue with my Chromecast HD. Once the Chromecast with Remote came out I bought it and it has been much better.

Fart of Presto posted:

Now I've gotten a Chromecast with Remote, and it's just smooth sailing.

I may just have to do this, although I'm kind of loath to throw more money after a problem that I didn't used to have, especially to the same company whose device is giving me trouble in the first place (although I'm guessing this is technically a Plex issue and not a Chromecast issue). Do you folks still use the casting from phone functionality or do you just use the remote and on-screen display to navigate Plex?

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 13, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I may just have to do this, although I'm kind of loath to through more money after a problem that I didn't use to have, especially to the same company whose device is giving me trouble in the first place (although I'm guessing this is technically a Plex issue and not a Chromecast issue). Do you folks still use the casting from phone functionality or do you just use the remote and on-screen display to navigate Plex?

I use the remote. It's a nice experience.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

RichterIX posted:

I may just have to do this, although I'm kind of loath to throw more money after a problem that I didn't used to have, especially to the same company whose device is giving me trouble in the first place (although I'm guessing this is technically a Plex issue and not a Chromecast issue). Do you folks still use the casting from phone functionality or do you just use the remote and on-screen display to navigate Plex?

It'll be different this time, I swear.
Basically never cast. The remote is the obvious choice.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

deong posted:

It'll be different this time, I swear.
Basically never cast. The remote is the obvious choice.

My wife watches a ton of youtube on the chromecast and I'm not sure she's going to want to navigate that with a remote, but then I've never had trouble with either of our phones' youtube apps losing control of the Chromecast midstream so as long as casting still works she can just not mess with the remote for that.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

RichterIX posted:

I use casting from phone from the few apps that do not exit as a Google TV app, eg. the Danish library app for video, when I want to watch obscure documentaries from the 70s. As for Plex, I can't imagine ever using the phone app again.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've always preferred browsing libraries on my TV screen (more communal) vs casting something from my phone, but I always assume that it's just some old man preference and younger generations prefer it.

That's not to say I never cast video from my phone, but I like that I'm not tethered to my phone to play the media I'm looking for.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah I don’t generally bring my phone with me into the tv room. I use the built in plex app on my Vizio TV. I’m sure it helps that I just watch dvd rips or local channels via network tuner. For those uses the tv app is fine.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Corb3t posted:

I've always preferred browsing libraries on my TV screen (more communal) vs casting something from my phone, but I always assume that it's just some old man preference and younger generations prefer it.

That's not to say I never cast video from my phone, but I like that I'm not tethered to my phone to play the media I'm looking for.

If anything IME younger people prefer using something like Roku/GTV/Apple TV over casting even more than older people because they often didn't have their own TV yet in the era where o.g. Chromecasts were the best mainstream/affordable option for getting streaming services on the TV. All the younger people I know use something like a Roku or their TV's built in Roku and some don't even realize casting from their phone is even an option with the TV/hardware they have. I think casting was mainly a just thing because it was cheap and Smart TV devices (built-in or external) at the time tended to suck, didn't have all the apps (or had lovely apps), or didn't even exist yet.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

This is bonkers. I don't have an option of changing the poster size in my movie library on the plex for mac desktop app, does anyone know how to grab fix this?

I have searched everywhere. I'm going to go crazy. I can't look at my library 8 movies at a time, all I want to do is shrink the poster grid size but the "Poster Size" option isn't under the sort tab like it should be, per the plex site.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Got a Chromecast with Google TV yesterday after posting here and the good news is that I already like the Plex interface much better than the phone app. The bad news is that some higher bitrate files that streamed just fine to my CC Ultra buffer like crazy on the Ccwgtv. You win some you lose some I guess!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

RichterIX posted:

Got a Chromecast with Google TV yesterday after posting here and the good news is that I already like the Plex interface much better than the phone app. The bad news is that some higher bitrate files that streamed just fine to my CC Ultra buffer like crazy on the Ccwgtv. You win some you lose some I guess!

The CCwGTV should support wifi speeds high enough to direct play even 4k HDR remuxes as long as your network speeds are fast enough, and I believe I've done that without issues on one. Weird though that it would work fine on your old Chromecast but not the new one if it were a network issue. One possibility is maybe Plex is transcoding the files for the CCwGTV and that is what is causing the buffering. Could look into whether the Plex app on the GTV isn't direct playing for whatever reason (e.g. maybe the player is requesting lower than max quality).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RichterIX posted:

Check to make sure your new Chromecast with Google TV is direct playing and not requesting a transcode from your server.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Just got home and checked-- it is definitely still direct playing. I almost wondered if there might be something up with the wifi chip on this thing but the vast majority of my files are playing fine (the stuff in having trouble with is up in the 40+ Mbps but it did work on the Ultra)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I had to grab the network power for mine. It's like 10 ft from the router but the wifi sucked for some reason.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RichterIX posted:

Just got home and checked-- it is definitely still direct playing. I almost wondered if there might be something up with the wifi chip on this thing but the vast majority of my files are playing fine (the stuff in having trouble with is up in the 40+ Mbps but it did work on the Ultra)

Hmm. 40Mbps 4K HDR files or like 1080p blu-ray remuxes? Did you get the Chromecast with Google TV 4K or HD?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

teagone posted:

Hmm. 40Mbps 4K HDR files or like 1080p blu-ray remuxes? Did you get the Chromecast with Google TV 4K or HD?

The main example I have is the 1080p version of A New Hope 4k77, so probably pretty much equivalent to a remux.

However! When I turned the thing on for the first time it did a long update so I didn't think to try to force another one. After doing the Android dance of pushing "check for updates" several times another one popped and now it's miraculously no longer buffering. It was already on Android TV 12 after the initial update so I have no idea what this seemingly incremental security update did but I'll take it.

Thanks for trying to help! This thing is very mysterious compared to the older Chromecast. I had to do a fair amount of googling to figure out how I needed to set some of the display options. It seems to be humming along now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RichterIX posted:

The main example I have is the 1080p version of A New Hope 4k77, so probably pretty much equivalent to a remux.

However! When I turned the thing on for the first time it did a long update so I didn't think to try to force another one. After doing the Android dance of pushing "check for updates" several times another one popped and now it's miraculously no longer buffering. It was already on Android TV 12 after the initial update so I have no idea what this seemingly incremental security update did but I'll take it.

Thanks for trying to help! This thing is very mysterious compared to the older Chromecast. I had to do a fair amount of googling to figure out how I needed to set some of the display options. It seems to be humming along now.

Hah, weird! Though, I guess I did run into a similar issue with a Roku TV that only maxed out at ~170Mbps over wireless AC and had issues playing very high bitrate 4K HDR files. Several updates later, its Tx/Rx rate or whatever is now maxed out at 866Mbps over wifi, allowing it to stream 4K blu-ray remuxes no problem. Maybe it was a firmware update? I dunno, lol.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have one season of Party Down. I just recently grabbed a whole-series run of Seinfeld. They are in separate directories:

I just told Plex to update my library and it apparently thinks that all these Seinfeld episodes are just later seasons of Party Down.

The naming structure link from the OP is dead now. Can I just like configure this poo poo manually or what, I also can't get it to recognize movies

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Definitely make sure you have a TV folder and a movie folder. Here is an updated naming convention link from Plex. Let me know if you need anymore help. Also
https://support.plex.tv/articles/naming-and-organizing-your-tv-show-files/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Use Sonarr/Radarr OP.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Warbird posted:

Use Sonarr/Radarr OP.

and then Plex will just change your poster art randomly, even if you tell it to use local.

Its probably me forcing a library update but I'm just kinda mad that Plex doesn't have a flag for this. Apparently this function exists in the API which is how the 3rd party add ons manage it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sonarr/radarr has nothing to do with poster art regardless, if Plex is doing that it’s unrelated.

Folder structure:
Name of show (year if you want to help it)/Season x/Name of show - s??e??.whatever

Will work in most cases. Can add tvdb ID in the name of shoe folder tag too to help it.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

yeah Plex needs the file structure to look more gussied up than a Downloads folder.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

loquacius posted:

The naming structure link from the OP is dead now. Can I just like configure this poo poo manually or what, I also can't get it to recognize movies

Been a bit since I've run through the OP. I'll prolly do a refresh sometime this week with updated links, devices, etc.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I searched around for a little bit and there's a paid program called FileBot designed for basically this purpose, and with a bit MORE searching you can find the most recent version of it that is free instead of paid (4.8.5 for the record). I ran it and simplified all the filenames. Then I redid the directory names, so it looks like this

and now I have this

man I don't even fuckin know

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wait, I DO fuckin know now! The Plex library's root directory was "Videos" rather than "Videos\TV Shows". Of course it would be something dumb like that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

loquacius posted:

and now I have this

man I don't even fuckin know

Kramer busts in through the apartment door "Jerry - are we having FUN yet???"