Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Grog posted:

There are a couple of threads on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/coolermaster/comments/ybd6pk/pcie_cable_for_v850sfx/, https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/104imc0/cooler_master_v850_sfx_pcie_cables/

It sounds like moddiy might be able to supply you with the right kind of cable, based on what a couple of people in there mentioned.

Excellent, thank you. I guess the search phrases I was using on Google just wasn’t turning them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Natsuumi posted:

I know this is the PC building thread, but the OP gave me the impression I can ask prebuilt advice here. Decades ago I used to build my PCs but don't have the intent or desire to anymore (for reasons).

I'm looking to replace my aging i7-6700k/1080gtx system and from my local Microcenter this looks promising. Any PC I put together by parts comes to only within a few hundred dollars of price, which is fine by me, money is not a problem, and it's cheaper than what I paid for my current system 7 years ago. Anyone with experience with the brand?

I bought a pretty similar system from them last year and I have had zero complaints or issues with it.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Branch Nvidian posted:

Christ almighty, does anyone know where I can get one (1) 8-pin PCIe/GPU power supply cable compatible with a Cooler Master V850SFX?

I contacted CM and they directed me to cablemod who is going to take over a month because they have to custom make cooler master cables and don’t keep any just in stock. Every other place I’m finding just sells extensions or looks like they’re begging me to let them steal my credit card information.

This probably isn’t the right thread, but gently caress me if I can figure a better place to ask.

I have a never used pci-e 8pin but it’s from a V750SFX. No idea if that will work.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bloopsy posted:

I have a never used pci-e 8pin but it’s from a V750SFX. No idea if that will work.

Generally psu cables are intercompatible within manufacturer but it's always advisable to check - and a quick google says that yes it would work

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

That will absolutely work. I'll PM you if that's okay.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

He's a bit too broad in his description for it to be possible to pin it down that way (it sounds like guess-work instead of something he's investigated) - DDR5 (and PCIe5) both supposedly necessitate adding several layers of PCB to maintain signal integrity, but DDR5 with ECC isn't any wider than DDR4 with ECC, since they're both 64 bits of data and 8 bits of Hamming code (the on-die ECC doesn't figure into this, as that affects the individual chips on each DIMM, and is needed for maintaining signal integrity for the chips themselves).
Compare 16GB 1Rx8 2G x 72-Bit PC4-3200 CL22 288-Pin DIMM vs 16GB 1Rx8 2G x 72-Bit PC5-4800 CL40 288-Pin DIMM, and you'll see that the main difference is the frequency, the CAS latency, and the electric potential.

It doesn't follow that surface-mount pressure has anything to do with it, since the bottom of the sockets are still soldered to the PCB itself, and if someone isn't going to check that memory is seated properly, I'm not sure they should be building their own computer - it's pretty much one of the basic principles.

I’m sorry to be the one to inform you, but you know too much about computer.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know poo poo about threadripper, but I would be very surprised if it could even do 128GB at DDR4-4000. From some quick googling, I'm seeing some people say that it may struggle to hit even 3600 with a 4x32GB configuration. Going with 3200 may save you a lot of money and memory overclocking headaches, and there are many more low-profile kits available at that speed.

Thanks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'd check the height of whatever RAM you buy pretty carefully and try to keep it under 32mm

Ok will keep that in mind.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I'm currently running a 5600X with a 1070ti on a 600W power supply. I'm tempted to pick up a 4070, but a lot of reviews I've been reading have been saying that a better option would be something like a 6800XT or a used 3080 instead. If I went with the other two cards, I'd probably have to bump up my power supply to something like 750W, correct?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I’m sorry to be the one to inform you, but you know too much about computer.
Is that even possible?

There's plenty I don't know, and plenty I've forgotten.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, I have assembled the machine but it won't even start to boot and I seem to have run out of things to check. I have a ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI with a Q-code display, and the motherboard is getting power (the RGB at the back lights up) but neither the front panel power switch nor the on-motherboard "start" button do anything. I don't even get 00 on the Q-code which should happen AIUI before anything else can go wrong. Searching the web has been pretty fruitless, so I'm here in the hope that someone can point out the stupid thing I've probably done wrong.

I thought it would boot as far as 00 (and indeed beyond) without so much as a CPU present, so I'm not sure what's going on here. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

OK, I have assembled the machine but it won't even start to boot and I seem to have run out of things to check. I have a ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI with a Q-code display, and the motherboard is getting power (the RGB at the back lights up) but neither the front panel power switch nor the on-motherboard "start" button do anything. I don't even get 00 on the Q-code which should happen AIUI before anything else can go wrong. Searching the web has been pretty fruitless, so I'm here in the hope that someone can point out the stupid thing I've probably done wrong.

I thought it would boot as far as 00 (and indeed beyond) without so much as a CPU present, so I'm not sure what's going on here. Thanks for any insight you can provide.
There's a table of the Q-codes in the manual, and 00 isn't used.
Is there a PC speaker connected, and is it beeping? You might be able to use American Megatrends' collection of POST BIOS Beep Codes in section 8.2 and 8.2.1 if so.

There's slight differences in how a modern CPU boots up, but it basically ends with a reset of itself before the UEFI firmware takes over - and if it's not getting to do the POST (the first step of which is to verify CPU registers, then the firmware code, then things like DMA, clock, and interrupt controller), then it's either a short circuit or a DOA CPU/board.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 13, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's a table of the Q-codes in the manual, and 00 isn't used. Is there a PC speaker connected, and is it beeping? You might be able to use American Megatrends' collection of beep codes if so.

There's slight differences in how a modern CPU boots up, but it basically ends with a reset of itself before the UEFI firmware takes over - and if it's not getting to do the POST (the first step of which is to verify CPU registers, then the firmware code, then things like DMA, clock, and interrupt controller), then it's either a short circuit or a DOA CPU/board.

Hmm, the paper manual lists "00 - Power on. Reset type detection (soft/hard)". I would be very disappointed with a DOA part, geez. I wonder where I might have caused a short, hmm. Thanks!

E: I don't have a PC speaker, alas.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, the paper manual lists "00 - Power on. Reset type detection (soft/hard)". I would be very disappointed with a DOA part, geez. I wonder where I might have caused a short, hmm. Thanks!
Sorry, I edited my post a bit since posting it to get everything attached.

A short might be from the back of the board if any of it is touching the backplate, but if it's a trace short then there's nothing you can do.
However, I might've been a bit too quick to mention that, so please check out the 2nd and 3rd edits. I'm sorry about that.

EDIT: Is there a version attached to the paper manual?
The one I linked is version 3, and I'd say that the newest version is the one you should be following.

EDIT2: Someone elsewhere previously mentioned that AM5 mandates a flashback option from manufacturers, so maybe your BIOS needs to be flashed?
It's also covered in the manual, and needs the CPU to not be plugged in (I believe).

EDIT3: There should be a little sticker somewhere saying which firmware your board has, and 7800X3D at minimum needs AGESA 1.0.0.5c which is in version 0922 of the firmware but the newest is 1004 (or 1101 in a Beta version).
They're available here for the motherboard you said you have.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 13, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EDIT2: Someone elsewhere previously mentioned that AM5 mandates a flashback option from manufacturers, so maybe your BIOS needs to be flashed?
It's also covered in the manual, and needs the CPU to not be plugged in (I believe).

EDIT3: There should be a little sticker somewhere saying which firmware your board has, and 7800X3D at minimum needs AGESA 1.0.0.5c which is in version 0922 of the firmware but the newest is 1004 (or 1101 in a Beta version).
They're available here for the motherboard you said you have.

Thank you so much. I can’t find a sticker with the BIOS version number, but it has a build date of 22-09 and 0922 didn’t come out until February so I bet that’s it. I will painstakingly remove the cooler and CPU and get my BIOS update on. You are wonderful.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pretty much any board on the shelves right now will need to have their bios updated to be compatible with the X3D parts. You can't count on any of them having a bios update that recent.

You shouldn't need to remove the CPU to do an update with bios flashback though. It typically works with a CPU in the socket too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I put the stick in and held the button, and the LED started flashing while the USB stick’s LED indicated activity. Took ~10 mins and then the LEDs went off. Waited another couple of minutes to be sure, powered it off at the PSU, took out the USB stick, turned the PSU back on.

Still nothing. :smith:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I put the stick in and held the button, and the LED started flashing while the USB stick’s LED indicated activity. Took ~10 mins and then the LEDs went off. Waited another couple of minutes to be sure, powered it off at the PSU, took out the USB stick, turned the PSU back on.

Still nothing. :smith:
Please read the manual about 3 seconds vs 5 seconds (then turning solid) for the flashback functionality.
From your description, it's not clear if it's one or the other.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Please read the manual about 3 seconds vs 5 seconds (then turning solid) for the flashback functionality.
From your description, it's not clear if it's one or the other.

Sorry, the light kept flashing at a constant pace the whole time. It didn’t turn solid at any point that I saw. I think I held it for 3 seconds, though the light started flashing after about 2.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

With 3 days until the end of the motherboard return window with Newegg maybe I should disassemble it and ship it back today for a replacement? I’m not sure what else to try and it sure looked like the BIOS update was working (it was doing something with the USB stick for ten minutes at least)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

With 3 days until the end of the motherboard return window with Newegg maybe I should disassemble it and ship it back today for a replacement? I’m not sure what else to try and it sure looked like the BIOS update was working (it was doing something with the USB stick for ten minutes at least)
Does the motherboard return window end in 3 days, or do you have to start the return process within 3 days?
Unless someone comes up with something, or I have a sudden brainwave, I'd probably be leaning that way if I was you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does the motherboard return window end in 3 days, or do you have to start the return process within 3 days?
Unless someone comes up with something, or I have a sudden brainwave, I'd probably be leaning that way if I was you.

It sounds like Newegg has to have the thing back in 3 days. Time to pack and try to find a box to ship it in!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Edit: got it dropped off before last pickup today, but almost sent my 4TB SN850x along with it, yikes! Replacement might be here as soon as tomorrow.

I wonder if I got a September 2022-vintage board because someone else returned it because it didn't work and it just got repackaged. It didn't look like it had been previously opened, but I don't know how that process works exactly with respect to the accessories getting replaced/rebagged.

Real edit: whoops, that wasn't an edit!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
If anyone is having trouble finding an AMD 7800X3D, I just ordered one from here:

https://www.centralcomputer.com/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-desktop-cpu-retail-box.html

What are some good motherboards to put it on? My primary desires are:

a. Being able to run two Samsung M.2 SSDs (not at once, though) at their full potential without infringing on the GPU's bandwidth

b. Being able to mount a second expansion card (most likely for HDMI capture) underneath an RTX4090 (one of the 3-slot versions)

c. Bluetooth (Yeah, I could just get a USB dongle, but it looks like a lot of the better motherboards have it anyway)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cockmaster posted:

If anyone is having trouble finding an AMD 7800X3D, I just ordered one from here:

https://www.centralcomputer.com/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-desktop-cpu-retail-box.html

What are some good motherboards to put it on? My primary desires are:

a. Being able to run two Samsung M.2 SSDs (not at once, though) at their full potential without infringing on the GPU's bandwidth

b. Being able to mount a second expansion card (most likely for HDMI capture) underneath an RTX4090 (one of the 3-slot versions)

c. Bluetooth (Yeah, I could just get a USB dongle, but it looks like a lot of the better motherboards have it anyway)

Ignoring the little DOA issue I had, the ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI 6E Socket AM5 checks all those boxes I believe. I wouldn't worry too much about infringing on the GPUs bandwidth, though, since AIUI GPUs don't currently come close to saturating modern PCI links.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Racing Stripe posted:

You should be able to follow those links to PC Part Picker to get the parts lists and do some mixing and matching. The site won’t show you parts that are not compatible, so anything you come away with should work together. Of course, post your build list here before you commit to buying it, and someone will tell you where you can do better. It can be pretty fun putting a build together (parts shopping at least. Physical assembly comes with some anxiety, but I’ve always gotten through it and I’m no expert).

I gave mix and matching a shot and I didn't come up with anything I liked better. Sorry, I felt a little like I was grasping in the dark with my level of knowledge. Thank you again for the help. I'll post the list again like you said to see if any changes can be made.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($304.80 on Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($45.90 on Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($254.99 on Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($112.99 on Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 on Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($869.49 on Amazon)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 on Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 on Corsair)
Monitor: LG 27GN800-B 27.0" 2560 x 1440 144 Hz Monitor ($296.99 on B&H)
Total: $2240.13

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That motherboard seems like overkill imo.

Is there a reason you went with the 790?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Ignoring the little DOA issue I had, the ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI 6E Socket AM5 checks all those boxes I believe. I wouldn't worry too much about infringing on the GPUs bandwidth, though, since AIUI GPUs don't currently come close to saturating modern PCI links.

I just saw that one as an "open box" item on Newegg - how risky are those?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

I just saw that one as an "open box" item on Newegg - how risky are those?
A year ago it was a big issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fnXsmXzphI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-eB_Bv5Ik

Maybe it's gotten better since then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1R4wbuXFII

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

MarcusSA posted:

That motherboard seems like overkill imo.

Is there a reason you went with the 790?

Just the recommendation I got. This is my first time doing this kind of thing so right now I'm going with whatever people say. In my first post I stated that I would be using it for office work, editing, and gaming, and that I also wanted to try streaming.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

FWIW newegg sent me a mobo with bent pins like 8 years ago when I last built a PC and when I contacted them to RMA I'd missed the 30 day return window or whatever so they told me to call the board MFG who assured me that they'd never ship a board with bent pins and could not RMA it to them. I called newegg back and they told me to gently caress myself. This can happen with any parts supplier but newegg were honestly really loving extra about it.

Orty
May 14, 2007

An ATX 3.0 850W power supply should be pretty solid for a 7800X3D system paired with at worst power case a stock 4090 (no OC) right? PCPartPicker puts that kind of system at 721W (~85% usage) but thats gotta be overestimating, and not really realistic of a normal "maxed out" load.

Orty fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 14, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Orty posted:

An 850W power supply should be pretty solid for a 7800X3D system paired with at worst power case a stock 4090 (no OC) right? PCPartPicker puts that kind of system at 721W (~85% usage) but thats gotta be overestimating, and not really realistic of a normal "maxed out" load.

Yeah, it should be totally fine. Even if you were to run furmark + prime95 with several power-consuming USB devices plugged in, I bet it would hold up.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Yeah, it should be totally fine. Even if you were to run furmark + prime95 with several power-consuming USB devices plugged in, I bet it would hold up.

Forgot to also mention ATX 3.0 so even any spikes hopefully handled well. Not planning on a 4090 but doesn't hurt to double check the headroom is there for that kind of power hunger.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

FWIW newegg sent me a mobo with bent pins like 8 years ago when I last built a PC and when I contacted them to RMA I'd missed the 30 day return window or whatever so they told me to call the board MFG who assured me that they'd never ship a board with bent pins and could not RMA it to them. I called newegg back and they told me to gently caress myself. This can happen with any parts supplier but newegg were honestly really loving extra about it.

I doubt they've changed any even since GN blew them up on the Internet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There's a reason I bought my new 7800X3D, motherboard, and RAM through Amazon. I still shop at Newegg a lot, but if a big expensive purchase is the same price on Amazon, then I'm getting it on Amazon. They will take any returns with no fuss, while with Newegg you're guaranteed at least some fuss and will be given zero leeway if you take too long to test your components.

Speaking of, I just gave my new stuff (7800X3D + B650 Aorus Pro + DDR5-6000C32 2x32GB from g.skill) a quick dry run, and it posted with expo enabled at least. I'm looking forward to swapping it into my PC this weekend.

edit: One thing that surprised me is that it actually posted just fine with a bios version from September, long before they officially added support for the X3D chips. It failed to boot with expo enabled until I updated the bios, though. So everyone should still update their bios first thing if you're doing an AM5 build.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 14, 2023

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
On the verge of having buyers remorse for getting that 7900x bundle instead of waiting for the 7800x3d, someone talk me down.

I'd assume the resale market for the 7900x is essentially nil?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

the total platform cost for the 7800X3D is crazy because there are zero bundles for it and it's a $450 CPU. you can get a 7700X platform bundle for $500 at micro center, a 7900X one for $600, or you can get a 7800X3D, a separate motherboard, and a separate kit of ram for $800+. I did it because I just want to build the most powerful gaming PC possible I guess, but sensible buyers should probably look at other options.

that said, if you want to upgrade to a 7800X3D, I'm seeing sold listings for the 7900X on ebay ranging from $340 to $400 (mostly around $350). That's a $100 upgrade.

edit: also you don't even get the dang free game that amd has been bundling with their other chips!

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 14, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

the total platform cost for the 7800X3D is crazy because there are zero bundles for it and it's a $450 CPU. you can get a 7700X platform bundle for $500 at micro center, a 7900X one for $600, or you can get a 7800X3D, a separate motherboard, and a separate kit of ram for $800+. I did it because I just want to build the most powerful gaming PC possible I guess, but sensible buyers should probably look at other options.

that said, if you want to upgrade to a 7800X3D, I'm seeing sold listings for the 7900X on ebay ranging from $340 to $400 (mostly around $350). That's a $100 upgrade.

edit: also you don't even get the dang free game that amd has been bundling with their other chips!

Redeeming the free game requires you run some validation software on your machine to prove you have the hardware installed. I haven't installed my 5800X3D yet (it's going to replace the 5800X) so I can't even claim it yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I did it because I just want to build the most powerful gaming PC possible I guess, but sensible buyers should probably look at other options.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quasius
Oct 22, 2006
I've had a GTX 970 gaming machine that's served me very well for 8 years, but it's starting to finally show some cracks in what it can handle. I've done research into modern components, but wanted some more-informed people to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid. Thanks for any assistance. :)

Here's my list:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($45.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Asus DUAL GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GT 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($115.99 @ EVGA)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($8.49 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($8.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $1772.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-14 16:55 EDT-0400

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For context:

1) I'm looking for a reasonably future-proof 1440p (or even 1080p) at 60 FPS with ray tracing. (I personally can't really discern higher FPS and I game on a 55'' TV a good 10 feet away, so 4k is useless to me and 1440p isn't even a huge deal.)

2) I often do research / work on the same machine while often involves things like many docs and web tabs open. I generally don't want to have to close all that out to play a game, which is why I opted for 32GB RAM.

3) I'm not a tinkerer / constant upgrader /overclocker and am willing to spend a bit more now to avoid tinkering later. This means I want reliable / long-life parts.

4) I realize the GPU market is still a bit of a mess right now, so I might upgrade the GPU at some point once in a few years (if needed), rather than buying a $1000+ GPU now. (My understanding is that the 7800X3D CPU should give me plenty of headroom to upgrade to a PTX 6070 or whatever later without majorly bottlenecking.)

5) Non-excessive energy consumption / room heating is important to me.

6) Specifically don't want unnecessary RGB. (I'll be attempting to turn as many off as possible.)

7) I have a 5.1 speaker setup and an HDMI TV (TCL 55" 6-series 2018)

8) I'm in the US (not near a Microcenter), but will likely be moving to Canada later this year. (Part of why I want to upgrade now.)

8) My budget is "what it costs" (within reason- I'd be pretty unhappy going over $2k), but I don't want to waste money.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some specific questions I have:

1) Any good reason to upgrade to Gigabyte B650 Aorus Pro AX over the Elite motherboard? (Note that I need wifi connectivity, if you're thinking of recommending another mobo entirely.)

2) Any cables / random doodads I'm missing?

3) It looks like the 7800X3D doesn't come with a cooler. So do I need the "Peerless Assassin" CPU cooler or will this single-stack version work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LHBFPJ6

4) Do I need some kind of brace for my GPU? I've heard issues with GPUs failing over the years from physical hanging stress.

5) Can I safely ignore this PCPartPicker warning?: "The Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GT 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not have any available. This connector is used to supply additional current. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands or extreme overclocking may require it."

6) Anything else I'm wasting money on?

Quasius fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 14, 2023