Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Quick etiquette question: Is rehosting images still a thing nowadays? I am considering posting something, but already know that I will be bored from it after a few days, if I have to keep uploading them to imgur or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Technocrat posted:

End of this arc!

Gonna need to see that brain with a mace (good arc, ready for more Isaac)

Previously on Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, Commander kept his cool

This time, you don't even have to really try
01/07/2013 - It’s not stupid, he’s just remarkably intuitive when it come to the minds of teenage girls

If you follow my tumblr at all, you’d probably know I spent the last week of my Christmas break shotgunning like 50 episodes of Sailor Moon. It seems like the general theme of all the Malachite episodes was like “hey, let’s just set up a booth and say we’re giving free cookies to Moon Princesses” and then brainwashed bad guy Tuxedo Mask would be all “that’s stupid, you’re stupid” but then the plan would TOTALLY AND FLAWLESSLY FOOL THE SAILOR SCOUTS. He had the dumbest plan, but arguably the best record for very nearly exterminating the heroes, considering the only reason they escaped was because brainwashed Tuxedo mask kept breaking ranks and rescuing them (before angrily reminding them that he’s a bad guy who doesn’t like them)

Apparently this is my 150th comic. It’d be really cool if I could have got it up on time to celebrate but holy poo poo am I ever getting hammered with work from all directions this week. So if you’ll excuse me I’m gonna go sleep for an hour before I go to my real job.

01/14/2013 - This week’s comic is about why this week’s comic is late

Well, one of several reasons.

This is the true story of any given person who has just been exposed to Burrito Bison. Or it’s sequel.

01/21/2013 - Hope all’s y’all picked up Dredd on Bluray

Either way, it seemed preferable to like… Crystal Meth or crack or something like that.

Fun fact, Olivia Thirlby, the girl who played Dredd’s sidekick was actually the female lead in Good Vibes, the show I initially moved to LA to work on. And her character had almost the same haircut.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Technocrat posted:

End of this arc!
This reads really well as a block, but I'm relieved it's over and we can see other things. Not even particular about what.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I enjoyed this little arc, it's cute.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm sure the author will favor you more now that you've said so next to my mild criticism.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I don't typically mind or even notice sometimes when an arc carries on a bit: I read the archive, plunk the comic in my rss feed and try not to think about it until it updates.

One exception I've been meaning to complain about though: how much loving longer is this drat dragon side story going to go on for in Girl Genius? Like, some important poo poo just happened in the main story and we've been loving around in side story land for like a year now. A year, and regularly updated too. I mean, I know the Foglios were before mountains, were the wind in the stars before planets, before heaven and hell, and when all's done they will be wind again, to blow this world as dust back into endless space, but I, because I made this choice to live like a man, will also be nothing in the end and I want to know what happens next with the rat spark come the gently caress on

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Emzedoh posted:

I don't typically mind or even notice sometimes when an arc carries on a bit: I read the archive, plunk the comic in my rss feed and try not to think about it until it updates.

One exception I've been meaning to complain about though: how much loving longer is this drat dragon side story going to go on for in Girl Genius? Like, some important poo poo just happened in the main story and we've been loving around in side story land for like a year now. A year, and regularly updated too. I mean, I know the Foglios were before mountains, were the wind in the stars before planets, before heaven and hell, and when all's done they will be wind again, to blow this world as dust back into endless space, but I, because I made this choice to live like a man, will also be nothing in the end and I want to know what happens next with the rat spark come the gently caress on

I've wanted to post an abridged girl genus series to this thread for ages. There's so much that you could trim or summarize without losing much.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

It's true.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I say post Girl Genius, but by all means abridge it or you'll go Mad. MAD!!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

KennyMan666 posted:

Yeah, I guess Touhou Peanuts might have been too niche after all, and with the broken English requiring too much effort to deal with. I thought it mostly wouldn't be that hard to figure out what was being said, but that might be me coming from having read them multiple times before. I'll continue posting it until the end of this week at least, there are a couple of strips I do want to get in. After that, we'll see! I do have one other thing I'd love to post, but it is a print comic and is available for purchase rather easily even if it's rather obscure, so I don't know if it'd be kosher.

I don't know from Touhou but as a huge Peanuts fan I'm enjoying it, and haven't had any real trouble with the english.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

Quick etiquette question: Is rehosting images still a thing nowadays? I am considering posting something, but already know that I will be bored from it after a few days, if I have to keep uploading them to imgur or something.

If you can do a command line this : https://github.com/FigBug/imguru does bulk imgur uploads.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Overcompensating

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Was girl genius the one that had such an insane backlog of pages that they published 2 different parts of it at the same time for years and years? One from the start, and one from the middle?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I appreciate the lobster scuttling away there

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I've been lucky with Wakako-zake recently, I'm a fan of neither hooba-yaki (and sorry to burst folks' bubbles, but it's a long "o" as in "hoe" rather than an English double "o" as in "moon") nor mackerel so they haven't been inducing cravings lately.

KennyMan666 posted:

Edit: And while we're on the topic of Mori, and Giant Ethicist does not have PMs, I guess I'll just ask here in the thread. GE, since you seem to have an interest in Asian food since you translated Uramachi Sakaba, would you perhaps be interested in translating the final chapter of Kaoru Mori's Central Asian Cooking, since it's the only one in that series that's still untranslated? It's just three pages, and I could do the actual editing of the pages, but I am not confident enough in my Japanese to translate it myself.
I'll take a look! Might be a couple few days though.

ChaCha, Chako

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mind the walrus posted:

I'm sure the author will favor you more now that you've said so next to my mild criticism.

What the heck are you talking about?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

:rip: mr inari

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lmao at "remove your glasses"

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Girl Genius will never end, or meaningfully progress. It is eternal.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SubNat posted:

Was girl genius the one that had such an insane backlog of pages that they published 2 different parts of it at the same time for years and years? One from the start, and one from the middle?

Yes, it started out as a print comic so when they added online publishing they started both at the current point of the print run and at the beginning.

It's been going on so long that the multi-year overlap they originally started with is like, 1/6 at most of the comic.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Power limiting bear glasses are very cool.

mycatscrimes posted:

Girl Genius will never end, or meaningfully progress. It is eternal.

Probably true.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
More like girl tedious

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
They seem to be living their best lives writing the story of their hearts, so good for them and all.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

uvar posted:

I can't message you directly, but you might be entertained to know I just put a copy of this up in my office. It makes sense in context! (I meant to do it ages ago but kept forgetting) I do like the other ones too, they're just not as relevant to my day job.

That's wonderful, thanks for letting me know! :)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mr. Inari is perfectly fine :colbert:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Entinen = old, outdated, former; doesn't necessarily have a negative connotation
(Tehdä X) entiseen malliin = "(to do X) like before/usual"; idiomatic phrase, literal translation "(to do X) according to the old model"
Käyttää rahaa entiseen malliin = "to spend money like before"
Käyttää rahaa entiseen malliin = "to spend money in an ex-model"

ANSU

The Accidental Space Spy

Hempuli posted:

72 - Friendship
73 - Selfslinger
74 - Save me
75 - Fight of flight
76 - Monitors

77 - Blaster

78 - Shoot

Thoughts about alien sex: 2
Alien species seen: 13
:biotruths:: 2
Talking character deaths: 2 (+1 Toquapp)
Deaths overall: 23 (+1)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Captain Hygiene posted:

Mr. Inari is perfectly fine :colbert:
There are a lot of them running around in the woods in Chako World (word of god from Q-Rais).

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hempuli posted:

The Accidental Space Spy

Thorsby setting up a convoluted plot where a double agent attempts to ingratiate themself with the protagonist only to get unceremoniously accidentally killed, usually because of their own actions, without their plan ever being revealed or accomplishing anything will never not be funny to me

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

i loving bow to thorsby

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
the world needs live-action Accidental Space Spy. I actually lol'd at that last panel.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I knew it was coming and it was still perfect, A+ Thorsby

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Van von Hunter

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Also- of interest to goons of a particular age- Al Jafee of "MAD fold-ins" fame recently passed away aged 102. There's a thread over in GBS with some good examples of his work. I had a shot at doing a fold-in to commemorate the loss of a cartoonist and, yes, I really don't know how the guy painted thousands of these things over the decades. Madness.

Tree Bucket posted:

it's meant to be two paintbrushes in front of a tombstone. Making these things is hard

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can definitely see it, but I am not going to fold my monitor to give feedback on how well it scans.

RIP to a certified mad genius

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I read a bit of Keith Laumer's Retief series over the summer and it shares a lot of similar vibes with TASS. (Except with more of an Intentional Space Spy than an Accidental one, I guess.) But it has a lot of the same "go to planet > introduce problem > wacky aliens, X species has X characteristic > use characteristic or comedically subvert it to solve problem > storyline resolution > go to next planet" rhythm that TASS has. I'm glad he's here now in the webcomics era but it's a pity that Thorsby was born too late to write in the heyday of sci fi paperback novels, I just know he could have churned out some all-timers.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Mad’s illustrations have always been the best of the best. RIP to a legend.

Here’s some cyelatm to soothe our sorrows.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

yeah this is the one

Also,

Tree Bucket posted:

Anyway, copying an artist's style is a portal into their brain:
trying to copy Chako is extremely hard to me and I'm not sure why. Every attempt I've made just doesn't feel right, but I eventually just let it be and decided to not spend a ton of time on some dumb Pupkin jokes