Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DoctorWhat posted:

If you watch a Speedrun of Dread and see how they handle the EMMIs you will change your tune. You just gotta get good.

The problem isn't I can't deal with them (and even if I couldn't, you lose like two seconds of progress lol). It's that I don't want to again

Almost all of them ending in the same little mini brain fight and wait-for-it moment is pretty blah. Really enjoyed the game besides them though, and they're a good idea, but there were better ways to implement them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Manager Hoyden posted:

Other than this thread, how do you folks keep up with metroidvania releases and news?
There used to be a website, The Metroidvania Review, that had good coverage but the guy who ran it got burnt out and now the site is dead. Which is a shame because it still had good info even for old releases.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I'm a bit under the weather, I didn't want to follow up on text-heavy games, so I tried ticking a checkbox on my "ancient games backlog" - I started Super Metroid.

On one hand - let me out the bad things first - I don't like the controls and the physics, like, at all.
On the other hand... I thought Dark Souls drew a lot from Castlevania SOTN, but I think it draws more from Super Metroid now. Okay I don't like the controls, but everything else - literally everything - is top notch. Presentation, atmosphere, looping ambient music that barely registers as music, eerie sound effects, spooky monsters, cutscenes in the game engine, sequence breaks, a huge moveset.
If I liked the controls of this game, this would be an eternal classic, too bad.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Char posted:

I'm a bit under the weather, I didn't want to follow up on text-heavy games, so I tried ticking a checkbox on my "ancient games backlog" - I started Super Metroid.

On one hand - let me out the bad things first - I don't like the controls and the physics, like, at all.
On the other hand... I thought Dark Souls drew a lot from Castlevania SOTN, but I think it draws more from Super Metroid now. Okay I don't like the controls, but everything else - literally everything - is top notch. Presentation, atmosphere, looping ambient music that barely registers as music, eerie sound effects, spooky monsters, cutscenes in the game engine, sequence breaks, a huge moveset.
If I liked the controls of this game, this would be an eternal classic, too bad.

Have you tried changing your controls? You might be able to find something that works better for you. It's one of the main menu options, if I remember correctly.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

Other than this thread, how do you folks keep up with metroidvania releases and news? I popped my head in here because it's one of my favorite genres and I'm seeing a bunch of stuff I haven't even heard of. I want to be aware of and have a big important opinion about every game in this genre past and future
easiest way is to wishlist games because the developers usually post updates to the game's news feed. every Next Fest i'll wishlist a bunch of games and that's usually how I end up knowing when they're coming out when I put my big "this month's games" lists in the Steam thread.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Yeah I’ve become a huge wishlister in the past few years. Even though I always play MVs on console, I have a hefty steam wishlist that includes many of them. The PSN wishlist is stupidly capped at 100 but I have plenty of MVs on that too and tend to grab them when they’re on sale for cheap, which is fairly often. I bought alwas awakening and whatever that pinball MV is called for a few bucks each recently.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Char posted:

What in particular didn't you like about the controls? I feel like there's something about 2D platformer shooting that just works better for me if it's descended from Metroid instead of Megaman, and I'm not sure what.

I think the last few times I played Super Metroid here was a weird thing where I had to swap some buttons around because it didn't quite feel right to me otherwise. Luckily that's not even an emulator-only thing, the original game has a way to swap button binding (pretty unusual for a SNES game too). Other than that there's the whole issue with shinesparking that I never can do right, but you're probably not up to that yet.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Super Metroid is very floaty and the bespoke run button adds additional overhead to the movement, however minor.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It's still amazing how well Super Metroid holds up after almost thirty years

I mean if you were playing something of similar age when SM was released, you'd be tinkering with a chemistry set that still had uranium in it

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Super Metroid does have flawed controls.

The fundamental issue is that you have to do all three combinations of jump+shoot, run+shoot, and run+jump in different circumstances, so with the all three of those on actions on face buttons you either have to claw grip, piano grip, or have a large but dexterous thumb.

With the in-game remapping options you can make it a bit better by putting run on L, but since you can't remap the aim up/down buttons you lose the dedicated aim down--which is probably the least useful button, but it has its uses. If you're playing in an emulator and have the option to rebind controls that way, that's obviously better.

Now, the physics may be floaty, but they do work very well. I suppose some folks prefer Zero Mission style wall jumps and the addition of ledge grabs though. Can't have everything.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I'm at the wrecked ship now, I simply pushed through with default controls, it's not that big of a deal.
I keep comparing this feel/control to Megaman X though, even I know I shouldn't, and I vastly prefer MMX. I understand though that SM goes for a totally different vibe, it's almost a survival horror game so having innately speedy actions doesn't really make that much sense.

Also, I dislike the general floatiness Samus has, the fact I have to run and gun with 3 buttons, the obnoxiousness of the X-Ray scanner, having a specific face button to change weapons and being able to cycle only in one direction is not really optimal...

Still it's not that bad, I simply don't mesh that well with these choices Intsys made.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

At the time, the X-ray scanner was a blessing. The original game required you to bomb every tile to find the way. (Or subscribe to Nintendo Power…)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think Super Metroid lent into the "more is more" philosophy (probably as a consequence of the SNES upgrade) which was funny when toggling various suit/gun upgrades, but made the movement too... technical? Like have you ever felt the need to moonwalk backwards while aiming diagonally upwards while shooting missiles? Well, you can!! The silver lining from that is Samus and her suit feels more like an human-shaped tank rather than a platforming acrobat, so pulling off small hops to dodge shots feels a bit more like an accomplishment. Very small silver lining, I know.

Later titles undid a lot of the surplus nuanced controls, which is fine.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

i really liked replaying super metroid with ips patches for gba style controls and widescreen support.

its pretty nice that way and still feels like SM physics wise, tho it has an optional heavy gravity patch if you don't even want that

https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/5293/

Char
Jan 5, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

What in particular didn't you like about the controls?

Ok now I have something in particular I dislike: the Space Jump is inconsistent!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you're finding it inconsistent it's probably because you're not waiting long enough to hit the jump button, there's a window when you start descending from your jump that's the time to jump again. Unless it's that you keep popping out of spin jump, in which case you're probably pushing Up or Down on the D-Pad at some point.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Char posted:

Ok now I have something in particular I dislike: the Space Jump is inconsistent!

Space Jump is very consistent, it's just a weird thing to get used to. You have to be in a spin and wait longer than you might expect to hit the button again to continue the jump.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Yeah with some airspace I understand how it works. Still weird and I don't like how doing anything else than jumping puts me out of spin state, but, well, whatever.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Char posted:

Yeah with some airspace I understand how it works. Still weird and I don't like how doing anything else than jumping puts me out of spin state, but, well, whatever.

Keep going. You get something in Lower Norfair which will make it so you never need to do anything else while spin jumping! :getin:

Char
Jan 5, 2013
73% in 8:00 straight.

Good game and I can see why it's so influential but it's a bit rough when your first playthrough is in 2023.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Koburn posted:

Souldiers was fun but it suffers the same problem as Phenotopia in that it just goes on for slightly too long.

Now that I've beaten it, yeah, it's too long. 28 hours for a 100% run as the mage on warrior mode. I liked it quite a bit but it doesn't evolve enough to earn that run time. They should've made it possible to play all 3 classes and given reasons to do so. And cut down on the boring areas between the dungeons.

Still, the pixel art was fantastic throughout. I liked the orbs and the bosses were both simple/challenging enough to enjoy. I didn't have many of the tech issues present at launch, but the framerate got weird during the horse race and for some reason when I entered the fire dungeon, the full map was already revealed, which actually made it much harder to navigate and I stalled for a bit there. Biggest complaint is they put all these potentially cool secondary weapons in the game and then made an annoying ammo system I barely interacted with.

The platinum trophy requires another 3(!) playthroughs: one as each class and NG+. That has got to be the most time consuming MV plat I've ever seen. Once was enough for me.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Bloody hell Haak has an absolutely ridiculous amount of nested secrets.

Find some well hidden, optional upgrade in one map that lets you access something in the next map that lets you get to a major upgrade in the next. The designers really went to town on this one!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Spermanent Record posted:

Bloody hell Haak has an absolutely ridiculous amount of nested secrets.

Find some well hidden, optional upgrade in one map that lets you access something in the next map that lets you get to a major upgrade in the next. The designers really went to town on this one!

Haak, hello

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I beat Axiom Verge 2 earlier today. It didn't really click with me like the first one did. Way too many frustrating enemies attacking me offscreen, and the hacking aspect didn't live up to its potential at all. But it was also oddly easy. I could just stand in one place and tank all the bosses to death, even without investing a single point in my hp. And I didn't even bother trying for 100%. I'm not a fan of the whole two worlds you have to jump back and forth between. It was fine during the main campaign. But doing exploring, it's tedious to try to find the right place to stand, menu through your abilities, try to remember what "Halam" means, shift to one world, walk a few feet over, and shift back.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Huh... HAAK's framerate is complete garbage for me if I run it in full-screen mode. Windowed is fine, I wonder what's goin on. There aren't really a lot of video options so I guess I'll just play it that way but it's slightly annoying.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

I beat Axiom Verge 2 earlier today. It didn't really click with me like the first one did. Way too many frustrating enemies attacking me offscreen, and the hacking aspect didn't live up to its potential at all. But it was also oddly easy. I could just stand in one place and tank all the bosses to death, even without investing a single point in my hp. And I didn't even bother trying for 100%.

Yeah, I had similar feelings. I hope the guy keeps making games, but this one definitely fell short of the first.

Looking for a thread opinion on Pronty: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1286280/Pronty/, which I saw while browsing Steam sales.

I'm a sucker for underwater settings, but this game looks really slow and anemic. Have any goons played this enough to recommend it?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Reddit seems to like it but it ran really badly on my laptop while looking like pretty much any other 2D metroid game so i binned it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

i forget when 9 Years of Shadows releases but I guess that would be the first new one i'd be playing this year and I thiiiiink that's next month. so I can maybe take a 'breaktroidvania' until then

The 7th Guest posted:

9 Years of Shadows got delayed again to 2023 to fix a lot of the issues people had with the Next Fest build.

Flimf posted:

There is a demo out for 9 Years of Shadows on Steam and that sure continues the trend of "cool looking 2D platformer with completely insane controller mapping" like so many other recent metroidvanias.

I might even go as far as say it is a bad game and that the only reason it is considered good, is because the wait for Silksong has been so long that it has led to some sort of "bad taste" disease.

It showed up in my Steam Queue, so I guess it's out now, if anyone wants to give it a whirl...

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I bought 9 Years of Shadows yesterday, have not tried it yet but I hear that it has some cool 90s anime / Saint Seiya aesthetics and is pretty easy to cheese your way through if you are hoping for something less stressful than a Hollow Knight.

The gimmick where the game starts black and white and you make the world more powerful fighting the curse sounds pretty cool. Hopefully they do better stuff with that idea than Ackk Studios!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Haak has been pretty good so far. The combat is pretty chilled out and not overly complicated so far, which is the kind of game I enjoy. Some of the platforming is a bit finicky for middling rewards but it isn't too bad.

Not sure why they went with the fallout style world map, but it ends up working I guess

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Char posted:

I'm at the wrecked ship now, I simply pushed through with default controls, it's not that big of a deal.
I keep comparing this feel/control to Megaman X though, even I know I shouldn't, and I vastly prefer MMX. I understand though that SM goes for a totally different vibe, it's almost a survival horror game so having innately speedy actions doesn't really make that much sense.

Also, I dislike the general floatiness Samus has, the fact I have to run and gun with 3 buttons, the obnoxiousness of the X-Ray scanner, having a specific face button to change weapons and being able to cycle only in one direction is not really optimal...

Still it's not that bad, I simply don't mesh that well with these choices Intsys made.

Those are all valid complaints, Super Metroid is maybe the closest thing to a perfect game for me and it I still have to get used to the slightly off physics and controls whenever I replay it. Keep in mind that they were basically inventing or at least standardizing the genre and everything that's so great today came after decades of iteration on the SM formula.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
If anyone’s interested in a new metroidvania, Lone Fungus is quite good. It’s main gameplay is extremely hollow knight-ish, and it also has (optional) challenge rooms incorporated throughout that are fairly similar to something like Celeste. Has the amount of movement tech one would expect from something with Celeste style platforming rooms. The platforming challenge rooms are optional and the game in general has an assist mode for anyone who doesn’t want to engage in either platforming or combat difficulty. It’s a solo-dev project with all the bells and whistles one would expect from a solo dev (I.e. stuff like the art music are completely fine but nothing extraordinary on those fronts). The scope is surprisingly large, more of a 20 hour thing than a 5-10 one.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

So It Goes posted:

If anyone’s interested in a new metroidvania, Lone Fungus is quite good.
I decided to check this out today as it has a 20% launch discount. However, it was even cheaper to pick up the Pixelated Metroidvanias bundle since I already owned Haiku, the Robot from a recent Humble Bundle. Really love that Steam/Humble synergy that makes games even cheaper.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Finally started Guacamelee and holy poo poo, this game rules.

I also finished The Messenger over the weekend, though the DLC is kicking my rear end on the race with your shadow. Had to put it down for a bit.

Soundtracks for both games are ridiculously good.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I 100% the Messenger and the DLC some years ago. My PTSD trauma was 8-bit Cloud Ruins.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The Messanger soundtrack rules

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Getting towards the end of bloodstained now I think. It's fun, but consumables are really expensive to buy, and drop rates for cooking ingredients seem pretty darn low.

Also it does the annoying thing where if I need two doodads and a knick knack to make a doohickey, and one doohickey and a widget to make a doodget, it won't let me go straight to making the doodget if I've got the doodads, the knick knacks and the widget. I have to explicitly make a doohickey first :mad:

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I remember the Messenger being a lot of fun, but I don't remember the music very well... oh hey, a bandcamp? neat: https://rainbowdragoneyes.bandcamp.com/album/the-messenger-original-soundtrack-disc-i-the-past

I DO remember the Cyber Shadow music, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI8OT_GTBGQ

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If you youtube search for Messenger "24 bit" remixes, someone took every song in the game and layered both the 8 and 16-bit tracks together. They're awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

avoraciopoctules posted:

I remember the Messenger being a lot of fun, but I don't remember the music very well... oh hey, a bandcamp? neat: https://rainbowdragoneyes.bandcamp.com/album/the-messenger-original-soundtrack-disc-i-the-past

I DO remember the Cyber Shadow music, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI8OT_GTBGQ

I played The Messenger before I played Cyber Shadow and the former definitely ruined the latter for me. Going from a nimble responsive ninja to one that feels like a tank was a disappointment.