Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mode 7 posted:

IMO if you ask "is there x thread" and the answer is no, you must now create the thread.

Looking forward to posting in the generic metroidvania thread, thank you S.J.

Well, gently caress.

Look at this stupid map. I love it.

This will, hopefully, be an ongoing megathread for all of your generic metroidvania needs. The classics out there like the Metroid series (including Prime, gently caress off) and Castlevania series set the groundwork for this genre and it's still going incredibly strong today. There are honestly too many of them out there to list, but many of you probably recognize a lot of the more popular ones out there recently: Hollow Knight, Guacamelee, Dead Cells, Ori and the Blind Forest as well as its sequel, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Axiom Verge, Rogue Legacy, Control, Tunic, and many many more. I'm not going to bother writing up detailed entries for these because of how many there are and the fact that I've played relatively few of them since getting back into Metroidvania games lately.

For anyone who doesn't quite know what a metroidvania is, I'm just going to quote the wiki at you

"Wikipedia posted:

Metroidvania is a genre of action-adventure video games focused on guided non-linearity and utility-gated exploration and progression. The term is a portmanteau of the names of the video game series Metroid and Castlevania, with games in the genre borrowing from both series.

I feel it's also important to point out that Metroidvania as a concept and a genre is general enough that it can be applied alongside a lot of other genres, whether they're third person shooters like Control or roguelikes like Rogue Legacy and Dead Cells.

I used to play these more when I was younger but I've recently gotten back into it a bit. I am by no means an expert so if anyone wants to write up a brief blurb about their favorite(s) in the genre I'd be happy to copy it into the OP!

Personally I just picked up Metroid: Dread (finally) and I'm really looking forward to trying out Dark Light and Tunic that just landed not too long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

2nd post reserved for shitposting

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Castleroids, you mean :smuggo:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Castleroids, you mean :smuggo:

When you take Castleroids you end up with games like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thank you for succumbing to peer pressure. :hai:

To kick it off, what’s everyone’s favourite short non-Metroid, non-Castlevania Metroidvania. Is there anything perfectly suited to blasting through in a cozy afternoon or weekend?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

To kick it off, what’s everyone’s favourite short non-Metroid, non-Castlevania Metroidvania. Is there anything perfectly suited to blasting through in a cozy afternoon or weekend?

I loving love Guacamelee. You get to switch between the worlds of the living and the dead and SUPLEX THE gently caress OUT OF BAD GUYS

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

sorry you can't post in this thread until you find the ice beam

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mode 7 posted:

Cave Story feels too obvious so I'm gonna instead make the case for Risk of Rain 1, which definitely isn't (it's a roguelike w/ linear progression and no back-tracking), but scratches a similar itch

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mode 7 posted:

Haiku the Robot for a recent short one op

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
beat Super Metroid for the first time last winter and have concluded that it is the ultimate gamer's Panty Dropper

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mode 7 posted:

Either Touhou Luna Nights or Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. And if you don't know anything about the properties being used, don't worry - neither did I, the games provide you with enough info to go off of IMO.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 30, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

S.J. posted:

When you take Castleroids you end up with games like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Well that's just rude :colbert:

Actually, I think Castlevania inspired games (especially in the last 5 years, but also on Nintendo handhelds) make a strong case in this category and the Metroid nod is mostly honorary.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Y'all need to play Forma.8. It is the chillest, exploration focused Metroidvania.

You play a cool little round droid floating around at a relaxing pace, bosses are more puzzle fights than anything requiring reflexes and it just exudes a pure zen atmosphere.

It's a good game to cool down from sweating over Hollowknight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Mode 7 posted:

Gato Roboto is short and good. Steam tells me that I have 13 hours on record and I've played through it 2 or 3 times. What's not to love about a cat in a mech suit?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

Dandara.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mode 7 posted:

Is there anything perfectly suited to blasting through in a cozy afternoon or weekend?

Yoku's Island Express. A cute Metroid + pinball blend! (No, not that one.)

JamesKPolk posted:

Cave Story feels too obvious

I'm still not convinced that Cave Story is a Metroidvania in the first place. :colbert:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I'm going to post this to mark the thread but if you come back and read it later it will make sense.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mode 7 posted:

Is there anything perfectly suited to blasting through in a cozy afternoon or weekend?
Timespinner is on the shorter side, but quite good.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Oldie but goodie: Knytt Stories.

Its a fairly simple metroidvania which is less an actual game (although the creator made a few levels for it) but rather a level editor. It has a fairly simple but atmospheric art design that people have made a whole lot of content for.

Its also got this gem of a level made for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83jJgLCyto

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 30, 2022

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I played almost the entirety of Islets on my Deck while flying from Europe to the US a few weeks ago. I had played a little of the demo earlier in the year, and hadn't loved it. But, I was looking for a game to play on the flight, so I decided to give it a go.

It ended up being quite an enjoyable little game. Its biggest strength is its movement, which is good because that's one of the things I care most about. It's fast, smooth, and feels good. I also like the colorful world and surprisingly funny characters.

I could nitpick a handful of things that could have been better, but there was only one thing that I thought was outright bad -- the boss fights. The boss fights are all bullet hell garbage that are incongruous with the rest of the game. That said, I don't personally like bullet hell in any context.

PS: Thanks for making this thread! I've been sad it didn't exist for a while now.

moosferatu fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 30, 2022

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
play A Robot Named Fight

thats my entire contribution thank you

S.J.
May 19, 2008

moosferatu posted:

I played almost the entirety of Islets on my Deck while flying from Europe to the US a few weeks ago. I had played a little of the demo earlier in the year, and hadn't loved it. But, I was looking for a game to play on the flight, so I decided to give it a go.

It ended up being quite an enjoyable little game. Its biggest strength is its movement, which is good because that's one of the things I care most about. It's fast, smooth, and feels good. I also like the colorful world and surprisingly funny characters.

I could nitpick a handful of things that could have been better, but there was only one thing that I thought was outright bad -- the boss fights. The boss fights are all bull hell garbage that are incongruous with the rest of the game. That said, I don't personally like bullet hell in any context.

PS: Thanks for making this thread! I've been sad it didn't exist for a while now.

Hell yeah.

Everyone please post more of your favs, especially if they're on steam, because a lot of them are perfect fodder for when a steam sale hits and most of them go to 5/10 dollars a pop

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mode 7 posted:

Mini Ghost, Gato Roboto, and Spooky Ghosts Dot Com are all good metroidvanias that can be finished in about three hours. If you like Mini Ghost, check out Ghost 1.0.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Oh gently caress yeah bloodstainedlikes own

Mode 7 posted:

I don't know if it's short exactly, but I've been picking away at Astalon: Tears of the Earth. It's got metaprogression which is kind of silly but it's pretty good otherwise. For actual bite size metroidvanias, Super Skelemania/Trash Quest are short and fairly sweet.

Also I know that most of the in-game time is spent in turn-based battle rather than the platforming but remind me to come back and do a huge megapost on how much I adore Monster Sanctuary

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

woke kaczynski posted:

:unsmigghh:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

The Robot Wants it All collection is a series of pretty good flash games from like 2006-2008 that have been bundled up with a few new levels. the different games are all just the right length and complexity for low effort gaming days

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Feldegast42 posted:

Oldie but goodie: Knytt Stories.

Its a fairly simple metroidvania which is less an actual game (although the creator made a few levels for it) but rather a level editor. It has a fairly simple but atmospheric art design that people have made a whole lot of content for.

Its also got this gem of a level made for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83jJgLCyto

fuckin love knytt

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

FZeroRacer posted:

play A Robot Named Fight

thats my entire contribution thank you

I had heard some mixed things about that game, but I just looked it up on steam again. It looks like the dev has been consistently updating the game for the past 3 years, including a big update as recent as this month. Also, the player with the top steam review appears to have logged over 1,000 hours!

I will definitely check it out soon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've been curious to see how that one actually is. Because on the one hand I love roguelikes and it's captured the look and feel of Metroid quite well, but to me a roguelike structure is borderline antithetical to what I'm looking for in a Metroidvania. (Granted, randomizers have narrowed the gap between the genres, but I feel like those are still a little different? idk)

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

I've been curious to see how that one actually is. Because on the one hand I love roguelikes and it's captured the look and feel of Metroid quite well, but to me a roguelike structure is borderline antithetical to what I'm looking for in a Metroidvania. (Granted, randomizers have narrowed the gap between the genres, but I feel like those are still a little different? idk)

Grain of salt since I haven't played a whole ton, but my impression is that it actually is a lot more along the lines of a mini Metroid randomizer than e.g. your Dead Cells or what have you.

Speaking of metroidvanias with procedurally generated elements, Chasm is a solidly mid metroidvania that's pleasant enough but pretty bog-standard, except that each map is randomized per game. You can do Ironman if you really want but the standard mode is just beating it normally, except if you get lost or confused on any of the puzzles you can't look it up easily because of that randomization. It's not egregious and I give it some credit as an idea, but handcrafted areas would have worked way better. (Amusingly enough, iirc the dev thoroughly agrees, only followed through on the procgen bc it was an integral part of the Kickstarter pitch, and is working on another metroidvania that will emphatically not be randomized lol)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

woke kaczynski posted:

Also I know that most of the in-game time is spent in turn-based battle rather than the platforming but remind me to come back and do a huge megapost on how much I adore Monster Sanctuary

i was hoping someone else would mention Monster Sanctuary

quote:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Question: I was gifted Bloodstained on the switch right after release, but the entire time I was playing it I felt like my character was moving underwater. The controls didn't feel reactive or smooth at all and it was very frustrating, I put it down after not too long. Did anyone else experience this?

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

S.J. posted:

Question: I was gifted Bloodstained on the switch right after release, but the entire time I was playing it I felt like my character was moving underwater. The controls didn't feel reactive or smooth at all and it was very frustrating, I put it down after not too long. Did anyone else experience this?

Yeah, the run cycle feels way too slow and it's like you're wading through molasses. Eventually you get used to it, but they do have +movement speed items and upgrades you can get. If you can push through it there's a fun game there, it's just a weird mental block, especially if you're used to having fast-seeming movement from the get-go.

While I'm talking about Bloodstained, I thought the Bloodless mode was really cool. You play as one of the game's bosses, and you start at the midgame so everything is rebalanced to account for that, which gives a neat feeling of starting at the centre of a radius and everything getting harder the closer you get to the edges, and it's a nice counterflavour to the progression in the base game.

Brain In A Jar fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 30, 2022

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

It's better now on switch than it was and I completed it there (with occasional crashing) but it's the worst platform to play on, and after tooling around in it on my steam deck I can't go back.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I beat it shortly after launch on Switch, the game was good enough on its own to shine through the Switch port problems, but I recently bought it on Steam just to have a version that didn't have all the problems. I'll play through it again on my Steam Deck eventually.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Breach in Axiom Verge 2

Axiom Verge 2 is two Metroidvanias. On top of eachother. Your remote drone, a morph ball replacement with its own moveset, can enter portals to get to the Breach. When you first get there they are these little distilled metroidvania segments. Like a little tiny self-contained metroidvania area where you have to do the platforming well and get an ability to progress. When you beat that section and go back to the overworld, the main metroidvania gameplay loop continues. The presentation is great and the Breach mirrors its overworld counterparts in bigger pixels and chiptune remixes.

I love it. I love how it breaks up the plodding pace of early Axiom Verge 2. I love how tight and small they are. I love how the Breach is used and what it turns into in the late game. I see big platformers where the game goes to alternate little self-contained platforming bits and wonder if you could do something like that in like an RTS. Thanks to Axiom Verge 2 I know you can do this with other games.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 30, 2022

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I love this genre! There's supposed to be some Touhou fangame that was like, a sleeper killer Metroidvania, right? I don't remember where I heard that, but I distinctly remember someone recommending me to check it out on Steam.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

My favorite small scale one is Environmental Station Alpha, cool secrets, fun map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blue Labrador posted:

I love this genre! There's supposed to be some Touhou fangame that was like, a sleeper killer Metroidvania, right? I don't remember where I heard that, but I distinctly remember someone recommending me to check it out on Steam.