Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Well a true Scots person wouldn't pass up the chance to hate on the English. The only people who should hate the English more are the Irish. And Joe Biden it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
no one should hate someone else for their nominal nationality.

except the

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can you read this thread in China?

tiananmen square massacre

There, now it's blocked

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OwlFancier posted:

Sure but like, salt was very useful and quite valuable in antiquity, so it seems like a very expensive way to try and destroy farmland when you could just, like, fill it full of rocks or something. Or break all their shadufs.

I always assumed it was less "make salt from seawater, dump on the farms" and more "just dump seawater on the farms". Salt's really valuable, but salty water is free.

But thinking on it even that seems like a terrible hassle. I guess when you have slaves to do the hauling, maybe not so much?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Seems like historically the idea of being seen to sow salt matters more than whether or not it works, so it still fits as a testament to whoever salted that allotment being a massive oval office, even if it didn't literally happen like that to the Second Temple Jews or Carthage or the outskirts of Italy.

Fascists often like to do fascist poo poo just for show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A new entry for the gallery of 'Keir Starmer pointing at stuff':

https://twitter.com/stefanrousseau/status/1646173833773322241?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Went to small do this evening (about 17 people) and the whole evening was permeated with different individuals sloping off and having heavy duty coughing sessions (including me - though I was the only one who wore a mask except when eating).

It's not covid (well if it is, it's not being picked up on LFTs!). But all of those of us who were coughing have had it for weeks on end - with the odd week or so when it stops before starting up again. I had it so bad in December, the vicious coughing put my back out on xmas eve and it's still not right after over 3 months later.

I know a couple of folk on here have mentioned persistent coughing. I wonder what it is if it's not covid? Or is it a mild covid that LFTs don't pick up?

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

T-shirt with three howling wolves but it's Starmer pointing.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know a couple of folk on here have mentioned persistent coughing. I wonder what it is if it's not covid? Or is it a mild covid that LFTs don't pick up?

Three LFTs turned up negative, so not sure. Someone posted here that only 2/3 of LFTs were detecting the new covid strain, but I'm not sure if that means 2/3 of tests will be successful in detecting the new strain, or that some strains simply won't be picked up by a LFT no matter how many times you test.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/kevinaschofield/status/1646396358654414849?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The sun-bleached flatlands of Brexit

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Also, on the topic of China, setting aside the usual lib talking points such as Xinjiang/HK/Tiananmen massacre, there's the fact that many of the issues people complain about in a UK context are much worse in China.

Look for example at the restrictions on internal migration based on the hukou system, or the broad controls of the social credit system. Have you been unable to find a job for a while, fallen into bad credit, or gotten caught smoking weed or making mildly critical statements on social media? That black mark will now follow you for the rest of your life. You're tired of living in your small town and want to move to the big city to look for work or enroll in a university? Hope you've got connections and/or a decent amount of money, because chances are you'll be living there as an illegal migrant who could be forcibly returned if caught, and is thus vulnerable to abuse and exploitation.

Also, suggesting that China is in any way better than the UK in terms of LGBTQ+ rights or experiences is laughable. Same-sex couples can't marry or adopt and have no legal protections against open discrimination. Adults can have sex reassignment surgery, but being trans is classified as a mental illness and in order to have your gender change be legal recognized you have to be unmarried, be heterosexual in your new gender, and receive permission from your family. Given the very widespread discrimination against LGBTQ+ people in China, that means that in practice it's very difficult to transition.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah, despite all its faults, the UK is still one of the best places in the world to live.

Which is why we drink.

Standing at the pharmacy last night at the empty counter reading the various notices while patiently waiting for the one extremely rushed and overworked lady to come out and see me. I noticed the new NHS prescription charge notice is... Quite spicy.

I also like how it points out how it's free in Scotland, Wales and NI.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 13, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MeinPanzer posted:

Look for example at the restrictions on internal migration based on the hukou system, or the broad controls of the social credit system. Have you been unable to find a job for a while, fallen into bad credit, or gotten caught smoking weed or making mildly critical statements on social media? That black mark will now follow you for the rest of your life. You're tired of living in your small town and want to move to the big city to look for work or enroll in a university? Hope you've got connections and/or a decent amount of money, because chances are you'll be living there as an illegal migrant who could be forcibly returned if caught, and is thus vulnerable to abuse and exploitation.

A lot of that isn't true these days (under Mao that's a different story) - the hukou situation isn't that bad, it's become semi-regularised, it really just does mean you can't access most government benefits. You can even get it later if you meet some conditions (as mentioned house or being a professional). It's less like being an illegal immigrant and more like having a restrictive visa if that makes sense. Otherwise nobody would be able to travel at all, why even have all those trains in that case - it's not that you either have a hukou or you don't, it's that everyone is registered where they are born or where they 'form an official household'.

And going to a university will not get you in trouble, the issue there is more that cities get more spots for admissions in the first place, you definitely do not need to have a hukou in the city where you go to a university lol.

Even the social credit stuff is not some kind of universal stasi system, at worst you won't be able to travel abroad (which sucks but still).

China sucks in a lot of ways but also it's not a soviet union or eastern germany. But then again you absolutely can get black-bagged if you get politically inconvenient.

e: Even Japan has a similar system called koseki, though it doesn't affect eligibility for benefits or anything - as long as you have one somewhere anyway. There's still issues with it like that it doesn't account for LGBT relationships, since Japan does not have gay marriage or even national registered partnerships (some cities do have their own schemes).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 13, 2023

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
what about those forced abortions tho

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Convex posted:

what about those forced abortions tho

Those exist, as does a bunch of other terrible things.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

They’re really pushing hard on this “woke elite” horseshit aren’t they? Desperate to control all the cultural levers as well as everything else

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Love to inherit landed genders.

4 million pronouns stolen from the workers.

Oct 4, 2005

How? How does this bullshit work every time?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

domhal posted:

T-shirt with three howling wolves but it's Starmer pointing.

Think i would go with a face swap on the classic three Spidermen pointing at each other.... Starmer is wearing baggy white Y-fronts on top of his Spiderman suit. :magical:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

smellmycheese posted:

They’re really pushing hard on this “woke elite” horseshit aren’t they? Desperate to control all the cultural levers as well as everything else

https://twitter.com/williamnhutton/status/1646295267707084800?s=20
I touched the poop looked at Goodwin's tweets, and he's desperately trying to make "the New Elite" a term that he can lay claim to having coined. He's also unironically using the argument that "our enemy [the New Elite] is powerful and strong! But [because for some reason they don't actually use that strength and power] they are at the same time cowardly and weak!" Pretty sure someone may have already said that.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

1965917 posted:

British public wrong about nearly everything.jpg

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1646399870234705922?s=20

All part of the grand plan, I'm sure

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

1965917 posted:

The point isn't to make it work, the point is to drown any alternative explanation out of contention. Where "Conservative politics has failed for over a decade, why is that?" could be asked, now BBC presenters will dutifully ask "Are the (((Woke Elite))) who secretly control everything behind the scenes ruining our Country?" or risk losing an invite to the Spectator Garden Party.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

On a related note - really Makes u think doesn’t it?

https://twitter.com/theeconomist/status/1646406769910898692?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Personally I think it was the Wolfman, or possibly some kind of Mummy?

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Re the salted allotment, my money's on a disgruntled gammon who owns an allotment in the same area. Check the sheds, you'll find the salt & the culprit.

Or for maximum drama: did it herself to bump the gofundme. I'm certain that's not the case, but because this is hell world I could see it!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mourning Due posted:

Re the salted allotment, my money's on a disgruntled gammon who owns an allotment in the same area.

Yeah, when I had an allotment the pressure from other allotment holders to allot the 'right' way was pretty intense.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mourning Due posted:

Re the salted allotment, my money's on a disgruntled gammon who owns an allotment in the same area. Check the sheds, you'll find the salt & the culprit.

Or for maximum drama: did it herself to bump the gofundme. I'm certain that's not the case, but because this is hell world I could see it!

Yeah I immediately thought of that second option but didn't want to say.

The first option I agree is the most plausible, allotment politics are intense

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gonzo McFee posted:

Personally I think it was the Wolfman, or possibly some kind of Mummy?

Draculas. The cause has been small (coffin) boats bringing over loads of Draculas*.

* = Not a euphemism for migrants, actual vampires. We need to get some Bellmonts in to stop this.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jedit posted:

A teenager who knows enough about history and/or agriculture to know what salting the earth does? And just happens to target a woman using the land to feed poor people? No, I'd say it's more likely that the person responsible is 60 than 16.

There's a bitter gammon queen,
She sneaks around at night unseen,
She's more like 60 than 16
When she's salting gardens

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Garden salt lady absolutely did it herself. And she probably has Our Maddy stowed behind her bags of compost and her leaf burner.

Skulker fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 13, 2023

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Recession avoided!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Went to small do this evening (about 17 people) and the whole evening was permeated with different individuals sloping off and having heavy duty coughing sessions (including me - though I was the only one who wore a mask except when eating).

It's not covid (well if it is, it's not being picked up on LFTs!). But all of those of us who were coughing have had it for weeks on end - with the odd week or so when it stops before starting up again. I had it so bad in December, the vicious coughing put my back out on xmas eve and it's still not right after over 3 months later.

I am starting to get a little bit of a sore throat.

I only go to my friends in the mornings for a cup of coffee, that's the sum total of my 'going out' so I don't know where I've got it from.

No cough though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Recession avoided!

Good news everyone! We stayed perfectly still!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Thank god, for a second there I thought things might get better or improve

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The gofundme for the lady whose garden was salted is now at £178k+ and rising

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Is it a grift or no? Who knows.

I know this is not a very useful post to anyone.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

what are the rules on a technical recession if it’s 0.00%, i imagine it should count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ah. It was the SNP Fun Bus

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1646488463544311808?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Maybe the DUP have a collective Clown Car they take turns in using at the weekend