Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean that was literally my exact post about media sources, it's just that US MSM sources generally aren't worth the effort due to low signal:noise ratio

The implication with the "mainstream" is that non-mainstream US media sources are better, and I have not, generally, found that to be the case. Honestly, US media most people consider "MSM" is probably on the better side of the US media spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

I like how nobody ever talks about the cost of NOT doing poo poo about climate change.

I think most people's brains would break if they realized what the cost was, just look at our climate threads here on SA.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Professor Beetus posted:

I think most people's brains would break if they realized what the cost was, just look at our climate threads here on SA.

Also most of the people in a position to do anything won't ever have to worry about the costs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jaxyon posted:

I like how nobody ever talks about the cost of NOT doing poo poo about climate change.

Ironically, the Department of Defense is one of the few organizations that are required to factor in costs associated with climate change for all their construction and maintenance requests.

The DoD has a bad track record with passing audits of cash flying into Baghdad, but it has the strongest climate cost audit of any organization that operates internationally.

They are also required to put out a climate sustainability plan and budget each year - which wasn't mandatory for any other agency except the EPA until 2021.

https://www.sustainability.gov/pdfs/dod-2021-cap.pdf

The DoD currently estimates that climate change costs the U.S. between $5.1 billion and $38.3 billion per year in excess costs and reduced revenue.

It is projected to increase to between $25.7 billion and $133.6 billion per year between 2050 and 2100.

(It is basically impossible to assess any specific damage as being 100% the result of climate change, so that is why they have the huge ranges. One is the lowest possible estimate and the other is the highest.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fister Roboto posted:

Also most of the people in a position to do anything won't ever have to worry about the costs.

Yeah, I don't really think my observation is a primary motivator, but I think even many people in positions of relative power probably have trouble grasping the magnitude of the problem. It's clear that they are not any better or smarter than the rest of us, and if we narrow the definition of people in power to "US Senate," they are in fact much less capable of critical thought than most posters here, some of them don't even seem to be on my cats' level when it comes to pattern recognition.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fox News is in big trouble in their Dominion lawsuit.

First, the judge rejected their motion to dismiss the case and ruled that essentially Dominion had already proved that Fox knowingly lied and the trial was mostly about proving actual malice.

Now, Dominion claims that Fox has withheld evidence - including secret recordings of Rudy Giuliani, Trump campaign officials, and Fox News staff discussing January 6th and how they knew there was no election fraud, but were discussing ways to encourage the belief that there was mass fraud.

They also tried to hide an email from Fox News Brett Bair who was trying to organize airing a Fox News special investigation on election fraud because he thought it might help with the lawsuit and build evidence. It is unclear if Brett Bair is incredibly dumb (beyond being dumb enough to put that in writing) or just incredibly cynical and loyal to the company.

The judge overseeing the case says there is serious evidence that Fox withheld it intentionally and is considering appointing a special master to review all of Fox's electronic records for evidence that may be relevant.

https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1646192255886139392
https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1646192493866762244
https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1646192875707809797

The judge is also extremely unhappy with Fox News and their lawyers claiming that all these accidents are because they aren't communicating with each other well instead of intentional.

https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1646173951150764032
https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1646174342328320003

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 12, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

First, the judge rejected their motion to dismiss the case and ruled that essentially Dominion had already proved that Fox knowingly lied and the trial was mostly about proving actual malice.

Now, Dominion claims that Fox has withheld evidence - including secret recordings of Rudy Giuliani, Trump campaign officials, and Fox News staff discussing January 6th and how they knew there was no election fraud, but were discussing ways to encourage the belief that there was mass fraud.

They also tried to hide an email from Fox News Brett Bair who was trying to organize airing a Fox News special investigation on election fraud because he thought it might help with the lawsuit and build evidence. It is unclear if Brett Bair is incredibly dumb (beyond being dumb enough to put that in writing) or just incredibly cynical and loyal to the company.

The judge overseeing the case says there is serious evidence that Fox withheld it intentionally and is considering appointing a special master to review all of Fox's electronic records for evidence that may be relevant.

https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1646192255886139392
https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1646192493866762244
https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1646192875707809797

That would be amazing if a special master did crawl through all that stuff. However it would seriously delay any trial by years.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dull Fork posted:

So to you, what news outlets don't 'loving suck'? I'm always looking for more viewpoints.

they're all bad because they all need money to function and that means they are beholden to capital

sorry you had to find out this way

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
https://apnews.com/article/tennessee-expulsion-justin-pearson-35fd0a2e366e98fa170c4f7348246d03

Justin Pearson just got reinstated. I hope both Pearson and Jones continue to stir up poo poo in TN, and hopefully they'll be able to become rallying figures for the left. I'm not religious, but I did see Pearson give a sermon last Sunday and he certainly has some fire.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Almonds consume 17% of CA's water. https://www.c-win.org/cwin-water-blog/2022/7/11/california-almond-water-usage

Agriculture uses 80% of CA's water. https://water.ca.gov/Programs/Water-Use-And-Efficiency/Agricultural-Water-Use-Efficiency

21% of agricultural use is pretty significant, and 17% of the total is 85% of CA's non-agg water use.

If they replaced growing almonds with other kinds of agricultural activity, I don’t think it would meaningfully use less water on a water used/kcal of crop basis.

I get incredible whiplash when I read left wing opinions on food/agriculture. There really isn’t a consistent ideology or figure of merit. It constantly oscillates from one end to the other. Food is too cheap, until we complain about it being too expensive. We want everyone to source produce locally, until we don’t. We need to eliminate food waste, but we only want people to eat highly perishable foods and it is a human right that they have 24/7/365 access to them, etc. etc.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 13, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I don't think the lack of partisan consensus on the left on the issues of food is a bad thing. It's a complex topic with lots of different ways to view it even between people whose core values are pretty similar.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pleasant Friend posted:

Asking people to eat bugs is probably the one way you'd get a french style peasant revolution in the modern age.

We already eat so many bugs though, like all the time. Both accidentally because of the way food is produced and on purpose because some of the most common food dyes are insect based.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

We already eat so many bugs though, like all the time. Both accidentally because of the way food is produced and on purpose because some of the most common food dyes are insect based.

Also as snack foods in any number of regional cuisines.

Also people are lying to themselves about what lobster and crab are.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jaxyon posted:

That's because, for the people who could actually enact the kind of necessary change, the cost is zero. Hell, it's a profit for them because they're getting those sweet sweet totally legal and very technically not bribes from their lobbyist friends who like things just the way they are.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh please, please, please, please let Fox eat poo poo! Every time I hear about this case it looks like it's going worse and worse for Fox News. Killing this monster would do so much to make the world a better place: both by slaying these assholes and by putting their replacements on notice that there are loving limits.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://fortune.com/2023/04/11/gen-z-millennials-relying-on-parents-financial-assistance/amp/

quote:

Gen Z and millennials are so broke they’re ruining their parents’ retirements
A majority of U.S. parents have made financial sacrifices to help their adult children, but it could backfire.

BY MEGAN LEONHARDT
April 11, 2023 2:46 PM EDT

Article states for parents to make children stand on their own two feet for their decisions and for parents to take care of themselves. The entire article is aggravating but I think that’s the intent.

For your angertainment.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe the parents should have planned for the greed of several generations robbing the next of opportunity and affordable housing, or something about bootstraps, but who knows. It's impossible to say why millennials and gen z are so broke.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean, that's eating bugs in the same way la crox is fruit juice.

I'm sure people might be down with insect protein if you could achieve impossible burger levels of similarity to animal protein.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

silence_kit posted:

If they replaced growing almonds with other kinds of agricultural activity, I don’t think it would meaningfully use more water on a water used/kcal of crop basis.

I get incredible whiplash when I read left wing opinions on food/agriculture. There really isn’t a consistent ideology or figure of merit. It constantly oscillates from one end to the other. Food is too cheap, until we complain about it being too expensive. We want everyone to source produce locally, until we don’t. We need to eliminate food waste, but we only want people to eat highly perishable foods and it is a human right that they have 24/7/365 access to them, etc. etc.

Per kcal is a weird measure to use, since there's more to a food than just its calorie value.

According to Popular Science (yeah, I know, but most more reputable water use resources are measuring water per kg rather than water per kcal), almonds use 59 liters per 100 calories. It doesn't look as bad by this metric, because despite being notoriously water-hungry, almonds are fairly calorie-dense, so that ends up being only slightly more than wheat flour (55 liters per 100 calories).

That doesn't mean there aren't other crops we could use that require a lot less water, though! Corn requires 33 liters per 100 calories (a bit more than half of what almonds need), and broccoli needs just 10 liters per 100 calories (just over 1/6th of almonds' water usage per kcal).

But kcals don't tell the full story. Here's an infographic from Business Insider, based on this study of crop water footprints:

Pay particular attention to the units here. The "almond" entry on this chart isn't one almond tree or one pound of almonds, it's one single almond. Each individual almond requires an entire gallon of water, and five almonds require more water than an entire head of broccoli, even though the latter is more filling.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Gatts posted:

https://fortune.com/2023/04/11/gen-z-millennials-relying-on-parents-financial-assistance/amp/

Article states for parents to make children stand on their own two feet for their decisions and for parents to take care of themselves. The entire article is aggravating but I think that’s the intent.

For your angertainment.

The odd thing is that it tells parents they should be assholes, and most parents don’t want to be assholes. Most parents love their kids and want to help them, even at a personal cost, and instead of saying they shouldn’t, would it not make more sense to figure out how society drove us to this point?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m curious about a society that says it is acceptable to gently caress over following generations, “gently caress you got mine” just out in the open

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

PT6A posted:

The odd thing is that it tells parents they should be assholes, and most parents don’t want to be assholes. Most parents love their kids and want to help them, even at a personal cost, and instead of saying they shouldn’t, would it not make more sense to figure out how society drove us to this point?

Also, they warn it will kick off the "vicious cycle" of leaving your kids financially stable enough to help you in turn if your own financial situation becomes precarious.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, they warn it will kick off the "vicious cycle" of leaving your kids financially stable enough to help you in turn if your own financial situation becomes precarious.

Oh dear, not that! Anything but that!

Like, I dunno, it seems like a huge portion of the population (both on this and other issues) has a deeply, deeply defective idea of how one should treat your own family. It's not at all healthy.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Hey look, a nice thing happened: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/12/us/politics/liz-harris-expelled-arizona-house-republicans.html

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think this is the first congressional dem to come straight out and say she needs to resign.

https://twitter.com/rokhanna/status/1646261866258223106?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

There’s also a lot of whispers she’s never going to be able to return to DC.

https://twitter.com/ccadelago/status/1646253659326668800?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

quote:

Three people who have visited with the senator in recent weeks or been briefed on her status say her diagnosis appears to have taken a heavy toll on her. Other confidants, including two who have seen or spoken with the senator, underscored that they are still hopeful she could serve out the nearly two years that remain in her term. But neither of those people, who addressed the sensitive matter on condition of anonymity, indicated they were confident she would be able to do so from Washington.

Also she apparently had an outbreak of shingles?

Also we’ve still not heard from Mitch McConnell a month after he was hospitalized for a “concussion” which requires two weeks in inpatient rehab. Love to be ruled by a decaying gerontocracy.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

I think this is the first congressional dem to come straight out and say she needs to resign.

https://twitter.com/rokhanna/status/1646261866258223106?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

There’s also a lot of whispers she’s never going to be able to return to DC.

https://twitter.com/ccadelago/status/1646253659326668800?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Also she apparently had an outbreak of shingles?

Also we’ve still not heard from Mitch McConnell a month after he was hospitalized for a “concussion” which requires two weeks in inpatient rehab. Love to be ruled by a decaying gerontocracy.

As per usual, the twitter thread is full of dumb takes. Don't read it. (in short: "What about Biden? :smug:" and "no, that would give an incumbency bias to the person put in the chair by the governor so just wait it out")

But yes. She needs to resign and we need someone who can actually understand the world around them to be in.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At this point it might take her longer to go through the effort of resigning than simply dropping dead of natural causes.

e: DiFi, if you're reading this, it's okay to let go

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We were talking about Tim Scott potentially running for President in 2024, and just like Mike Pence in a different interview a couple of weeks ago he refused to say he would support a bill by Lindsay Graham to set a 15 week abortion ban nationwide.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1646261339361361921?s=20

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, I mean blaming "the media" or the "government" is just too nebulous and easy, I think, and the reason they're such convenient catch alls for "what's wrong with everything" is that they're the result of deep rooted systemic problems. Everything being profit driven and constantly for sale being one of them. Where nothing worth doing is worth doing unless someone makes it's for money. Corporations are similar to a certain extent and may be equally nebulous by some measure but they're more worthy of owning that bullseye because, essentially, they're the ones at the top of the pyramid/food chain driving loving everything. And I mean everything.

From what we see, what we buy, where (and how) we work, what laws get passed and who enforces them, what we value, what we're taught, how we're educated and for what reason, what gets built and where, and so forth. Conservatives worship them and treat them like overlords by calling them "job creators" that provide us all freedom but very few working for the median salary in this country really feel free, even if they convince themselves they are. You're "free" to devote 8-12 hours a day to doing their bidding or starve to death in the street.

And the blowback argument I always get from people who think this system is good is always that "it's better than most any other country" and, while they're not entirely wrong, it's frustrating to know that's where the bar is set

I don't know what the answer is but I think it starts with removing the profit motive from things people essentially need to loving live (food, shelter, water, healthcare, education). Not sure how we do that and pretty sure no one else does either.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 13, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Isn't the USA doing terribly on a billion metrics, compared to other wealthy nations? Although I believe the classic conservative response to that is "well, they don't have any [Minority] mucking it up!"

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't think the lack of partisan consensus on the left on the issues of food is a bad thing. It's a complex topic with lots of different ways to view it even between people whose core values are pretty similar.

The only real shared core values I can ascertain are: 1) they always have some kind of vague discomfort with industrialized agriculture and 2) they usually hold the belief that if a food sounds 'natural', then it must be good, and if a food sounds 'unnatural', it must be bad

edit:

The point I am trying to make is that people who are into the left-wing politics of food often have paradoxical beliefs.

It is important to them to make food affordable, yet they are at the same time in favor of methods of farming which are less productive and raise the food cost. They think that food waste is a terrible tragedy, yet they are ideologically opposed to types of food which lengthen shelf life. They love having constant access to a large variety of fresh, locally grown produce, but hate that production of food uses the local natural resources.

This list of paradoxes goes on and on and on . . .

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 13, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Clarste posted:

Isn't the USA doing terribly on a billion metrics, compared to other wealthy nations? Although I believe the classic conservative response to that is "well, they don't have any [Minority] mucking it up!"

Nowadays the conservative response is more "it's better for business if we don't mandate <human-friendly policy>"

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

silence_kit posted:

The only real shared core values I can ascertain are: 1) they always have some kind of vague discomfort with industrialized agriculture and 2) they usually hold the belief that if a food sounds 'natural', then it must be good, and if a food sounds 'unnatural', it must be bad
You're describing hippies, not leftists. Their Venn diagram has an intersection, but they aren't the same thing - especially in younger generations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

FizFashizzle posted:

Staluigi posted:

Gonna reiterate that McConnell is almost definitely hosed up rull bad right now. 81, hefty anticoagulants, busted some ribs and concussed himself. None of this is a good combo and usually it's when you start talking with a loved one about assisted living

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Sax Mortar posted:

"no, that would give an incumbency bias to the person put in the chair by the governor so just wait it out"
Though not a great reason to keep her in the seat, this is a real concern if she resigns or Newsom is otherwise able to appoint a replacement.

Tina Smith is a great example of the incumbency power of being an appointed replacement- a woman with a political career that went from Governor's chief of staff to Lt Governor to Senator all before she'd ever been elected to a position herself. There were a number of local Dems who likely would've tried for the vacant seat (Ellison and Rybak among them), but after her appointment her strongest primary challenge was from Richard Painter... best known for being an ethics lawyer in the Bush White House.

A similar outcome in California would be unfortunate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

We were talking about Tim Scott potentially running for President in 2024, and just like Mike Pence in a different interview a couple of weeks ago he refused to say he would support a bill by Lindsay Graham to set a 15 week abortion ban nationwide.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1646261339361361921?s=20

This is such a bizarre tack to take for the "100% pro-life" people. Especially since people like DeSantis and others are okaying 6-week limits. Mike Pence of all people being not sure if he would support a 15-week limit is a wild choice in particular. Is there a group out there who were huge Mike Pence fans until they heard he wanted to limit abortion? I can maybe, maybe, see someone like Scott (who 99% of people aren't familiar with) trying to pull something like this and thinking it is a good idea, but still such a weird strategic decision. All of them seem to be blindsided when asked a follow-up question about abortion too.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

This is such a bizarre tack to take for the "100% pro-life" people. Especially since people like DeSantis and others are okaying 6-week limits. Mike Pence of all people being not sure if he would support a 15-week limit is a wild choice in particular. Is there a group out there who were huge Mike Pence fans until they heard he wanted to limit abortion? I can maybe, maybe, see someone like Scott (who 99% of people aren't familiar with) trying to pull something like this and thinking it is a good idea, but still such a weird strategic decision. All of them seem to be blindsided when asked a follow-up question about abortion too.

It's not so much Mike Pence fans that would drop him that's driving this as fear of the politically inactive getting motivated by the prospective of national abortion bans.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who’s politically inactive at this point? The abortion bans are here. A crazy-rear end judge just attempted a national one last week.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

Though not a great reason to keep her in the seat, this is a real concern if she resigns or Newsom is otherwise able to appoint a replacement.

It would not be strange for her (her staff) to request that Newsom appoint someone at the end of their career who agrees not to run.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have no idea because Pence's whole deal is 'very conservative Christian guy'. You would think he would be gung-ho about full abortion bans but even he won't say that.

It's going to be a problem because the more reactionary parts of the GOP base are pushing their politicians in that direction, not to mention these awful Chud Judges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

reignonyourparade posted:

It's not so much Mike Pence fans that would drop him that's driving this as fear of the politically inactive getting motivated by the prospective of national abortion bans.

Yeah, he’s not trying to say he supports a limited ban, he’s trying to avoid stating his position on a full ban